• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Bro

Banned
Damn, didn't know that was added. Anybody have a awesome guide to retexturing the game? The 3d Dot one is amazing but I haven't been successful in getting it to work.

Blizzard

Banned
superbank said:
Boo at teleporting. Make it so you use animals or make our own vehicles with coal as fuel. Of course you'd need to make proper roads but teleporting seems lazy. :/
But gondolas etc. would be really slow, especially for super high towers and islands. An elevator might be reasonably faster. And using coal would mean coal needs to be a lot more common, unless I'm missing something (to say nothing of material requirements to build roads).

I seriously can't wait for multiplayer. It'll be so fun to build massive settlements, and then settle new lands, and then build mine car mass transit networks between them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, trying to apply a custom skin on Windows 7, but nothing Minecraft related in AppData, and no results on the searches. Help?

EDIT: *facepalm* nevermind, I was looking under M in AppData, and it was named .minecraft

G-Fex

Kritz said:
So I just found out three things.

1. Slimes spawn on peaceful.
2. GIANT CAVE SLIME OH GOD
3. THEY ARE NOT FRIENDLY

Bullshit, nothing should be in there on peaceful. That SUCKS.

Now I know I'm probably going to not go further into the cave I am currently mining in.

Kritz

Banned
G-Fex said:
Bullshit, nothing should be in there on peaceful. That SUCKS.

Now I know I'm probably going to not go further into the cave I am currently mining in.

Note though that I had mined to pretty much the bottom of the world, due in part to the fact I spawned on the biggest fucking cave system I've ever seen filled with redstone and gold and iron and lava pools and waterways. Shit was amazing.

Though I decided to delete the world and reroll because I had lost literally everything I had made from the slimes.

G-Fex

Kritz said:
Note though that I had mined to pretty much the bottom of the world, due in part to the fact I spawned on the biggest fucking cave system I've ever seen filled with redstone and gold and iron and lava pools and waterways. Shit was amazing.

Though I decided to delete the world and reroll because I had lost literally everything I had made from the slimes.

D:

Well maybe I'll stop at a certain layer and then just mine around in that certain level.

The Technomancer

Okay, used WinRar to extract the minecraft.jar, went in, swapped out the terrain.png...and now....how do I make the folder a .jar again?

The Technomancer

TheExecutive said:
it should retain the .jar extension
Okay, then I used WinRar incorrectly, because I just extracted it as a folder. What was I supposed to do? Somehow use WinRar to access the files inside the .jar?
(Not a huge Windows user here)

epmode

Move the jar file to your desktop.
Double-click it to open (or do so in WinRAR if it doesn't open automatically).
Find the terrain.png file in the WinRAR window.
Drag it out of the WinRAR window so you can copy it somewhere (if you want to back it up).
Delete terrain.png from the WinRAR window.
Drag a modified terrain.png file into the WinRAR window.
It should ask you what type of compression you'd like, just leave it on Normal.
Close WinRAR.
Move the jar file back to its proper location.

edit: Actually you might not even need to bother with moving the jar file around. Anyway, it'll work that way so I left it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Ferrio said:
Boo to Teleporting, Yay for gondolas!

Yes! They will be important for mass transit of materials and animals from coast to coast in multiplayer. And of course the player designs and builds the entire ship, depending on how many blocks are used and their weight properties, a certain amount of coal will have to be brought on to fuel the trip. We will need defenses as well if sea monsters are added. This game will be so awesome if done the right way.

Blizzard said:
But gondolas etc. would be really slow, especially for super high towers and islands. An elevator might be reasonably faster. And using coal would mean coal needs to be a lot more common, unless I'm missing something (to say nothing of material requirements to build roads).

Traveling island to island would be slow. I'm fine with that. Elevators powered by mules or cows pulling one of those circular things, you know, where they walk in a circle to pump water from a well (I forget what its called) would be cool. Roads could be a flat surface or maybe wood.

I'm all in for a GAF server but I cannot host. We should have a minimum of 4 rooms.

Peaceful: Everyone joins together and cooperates to build a huge city.

Big Team Factions: Large factions will be formed (maye 3-5 total) and pitted against each other.

Small Team Factions: Small teams of 5-10 people can join and try to survive.

Free For All: Every man for himself.

Caesar III said:
All of this. Really all of this sounds so much like Clonk! I love it. This is Clonk in 3d to me!

For anyone who has no clue what clonk is http://www.clonk.de/news.php?lng=en

I watched some youtube vids. Seems similar though less scary. :) Can you build up the terrain and stuff too?

The Technomancer

epmode said:
Move the jar file to your desktop.
Double-click it to open (or do so in WinRAR if it doesn't open automatically).
Find the terrain.png file in the WinRAR window.
Drag it out of the WinRAR window so you can copy it somewhere (if you want to back it up).
Delete terrain.png from the WinRAR window.
Drag a modified terrain.png file into the WinRAR window.
It should ask you what type of compression you'd like, just leave it on Normal.
Close WinRAR.
Move the jar file back to its proper location.

edit: Actually you might not even need to bother with moving the jar file around. Anyway, it'll work that way so I left it.

Okay, last issue. The skin I downloaded was out of date, so I was copying and pasting the relevant tiles from the skin into the current tileset. However, upon saving and running MC, the new tiles are there alright, but anything with a transparent background now shows up with white backgrounds in game. Is this some weird thing with Paint not saving the png correctly?

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, last issue. The skin I downloaded was out of date, so I was copying and pasting the relevant tiles from the skin into the current tileset. However, upon saving and running MC, the new tiles are there alright, but anything with a transparent background now shows up with white backgrounds in game. Is this some weird thing with Paint not saving the png correctly?

Cant use paint to do transparency. Are you sure a newer version doesnt exist?

KuroNeeko

thefil said:
*edit* Also, this game is definitely my surprise of the year. Never heard of it before yesterday and it's already consuming my mind. Between this, Starcraft II and (presumably) Civ V, this is the year of game addiction.

I agree. A very pleasant surprise that is doing a great job of tiding me over until Wednesday's StarCraft II release.

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Don't think so. I'm just going to email it to myself, reboot into Mac, and do it in Photoshop anyway.
The Gimp (and probably some smaller free image editing tools, maybe paint.net?) should be able to do it.

Just rolled a snow world on my laptop (about to head to a friend's house and wanted to take the game over to show him first hand--his PC sucks) and within a short distance of the spawn point is a short but deep mine with only one entrance and one exit, and both of those openings are on the surface a short distance apart... went down there and there's already coal and iron ore exposed right off the bat, no work necessary. Glorious. I think I'm going to stick this one out. :D

Remy

I will probably be able to help out on the GAF Server front but certainly we need to wait and see what the requirements are for such hosting.

Boonoo

I like this simplified terrain that was posted above. It has a good feel.

skin.png

epmode

Someone really needs to update that 3D Dot Game Heroes skin. It's probably my favorite but it's pretty broken in a snow map.

Kritz

Banned
While I think the flat single coloured textures look cool, I still prefer the vanilla designs. But I might have a go sometime at making my own textures for the game.

I've discovered that the best way to get diamond is get to the bottom where the dev blocks are and start breaking tunnels down there. I found 15 diamond in a relatively short ammount of time.

RadicalRad said:
I've discovered that the best way to get diamond is get to the bottom where the dev blocks are and start breaking tunnels down there. I found 15 diamond in a relatively short ammount of time.

I did that once, dug a giant spiral staircase all the way down to the bottom. Then I dug around looking for the rare stuff for about 10 minutes and found a hole in the floor, so i did what any normal person would do, i jumped through it.

It didn't end well.

SpinningFrog said:
I did that once, dug a giant spiral staircase all the way down to the bottom. Then I dug around looking for the rare stuff for about 10 minutes and found a hole in the floor, so i did what any normal person would do, i jumped through it.

It didn't end well.

:lol :lol :lol

So true, would have totally done the same.

Blizzard

Banned
Cool idea: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Airlock

I was looking at the torch page, and it seems that torches are infinite...but Notch apparently has plans to make them temporary. While I realize that's more realistic, it makes me sad since I (and probably other people) probably want to make a secure, lit-up fortress, or light a whole island, and it sounds like with some future update our fortress may suddenly go dark and get filled with spawning creepers. ;_; If one has miles of mine lit by torches, going through them every day to replace the torches would also be awkward. Maybe the player should be able to carry a lit torch, effectively becoming invincible to light-fearing monsters!

KuroNeeko

TheExodu5 said:
First night playing. I couldn't stop. Awesome game.

Wow! Very cool!

I just started on my Aztec sacrificial altar. When I first started I had the base 10 X 10 and planned to taper it upward like a pyramid.

The finished product was like 5 squares high. :(

This is going to take some time.

Blizzard

Banned
The new terrain generator is great. I built on top of a huge mountain again, with sheer cliffs and a deep valley with caves like the opening to Moria below me. Unfortunately I fell to my death taking a screenshot down the cliff face, and APPARENTLY all my stuff vanished before I could walk all the way around the mountain base. :( Does enough fall damage just destroy all your equipment? I'm not sure how long in real world time they take to decay otherwise.

I also found and got coal much quicker this time so I'm already mining at night. I even saw some sort of ore down on the outside in some exposed cave. And my respawn point is basically next to a giant field of cattle, cows, and sheep. :D

I don't think I've seen any papyrus yet. Oh, and one bug...my mountains are so high that they go OVER the cloud level. As a result, when I'm mining in my basement, a dark night-time cloud can pass straight through the basement walls, making it look creepy and sometimes hard to tell if it's water/a pit/just a dark hole.

Weirdly enough, on normal I don't think I've seen ANY enemies yet, except maybe one burning enemy far below on the valley floor. Maybe they're not as good as climbing as me...I can only hope.

I have white blocks that are apparently neither sand nor clay. What could they be?

Blizzard said:
I don't think I've seen any papyrus yet. Oh, and one bug...my mountains are so high that they go OVER the cloud level. As a result, when I'm mining in my basement, a dark night-time cloud can pass straight through the basement walls, making it look creepy and sometimes hard to tell if it's water/a pit/just a dark hole.

Not really a bug. There are tons of mountains that high the world I've been playing for the past week. It's pretty epic climbing up a mountain and looking down at the clouds and the valleys below. The way the clouds behave does get a bit weird as you said, but I don't mind so much. Sometimes it's kinda cool. I imagine it would take a lot of work to try and get the clouds to go around structures instead of through them, and that's time I'd rather Notch spent adding new features. :D

I love the way updates work in this. I travel to a foreign land and suddenly there are resources and things I didn't have at home, due to map generation happening after a new update.

Blizzard said:
I have white blocks that are apparently neither sand nor clay. What could they be?

Wool?

superbank said:
I watched some youtube vids. Seems similar though less scary. :) Can you build up the terrain and stuff too?

Not so much! But there are awesome things to build up and create. You can switch the need for electricity on and off so your lift only works if it has power. You get this with a windmill or by firing coal or oil. Like in this game here we played Clonk all the coop way with deeep deeep maps. It's so much fun to create awesome mines with cart tracks and carts on the ground :) There are mobs as well :D

But the best is the variety in those games. You can do whatever you want. Build up a base? Do so! Go on a submarine mission? Do so! So awesome. If some of the ideas of Clonk get implemented here as well, woah.

this is the best video I could find on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDcvYoY9XA but you can try it. All the older Clonk games are Freeware anyway and OpenClonk looks cool.

Blizzard said:
The new terrain generator is great. I built on top of a huge mountain again, with sheer cliffs and a deep valley with caves like the opening to Moria below me. Unfortunately I fell to my death taking a screenshot down the cliff face, and APPARENTLY all my stuff vanished before I could walk all the way around the mountain base. :( Does enough fall damage just destroy all your equipment? I'm not sure how long in real world time they take to decay otherwise.

I also found and got coal much quicker this time so I'm already mining at night. I even saw some sort of ore down on the outside in some exposed cave. And my respawn point is basically next to a giant field of cattle, cows, and sheep. :D

Weirdly enough, on normal I don't think I've seen ANY enemies yet, except maybe one burning enemy far below on the valley floor. Maybe they're not as good as climbing as me...I can only hope.

wool!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Eh, I dunno. I rerolled a bunch of new worlds just to test the new terrain generator and I'm not that impressed. Went back to my old world. The new generator certainly makes more impressive peaks and cliff-faces and more "interesting" terrain. You see gorgeous overhangs all over the place now.

But, I've also seen a lot more floating islands, and a lot of the new peaks are fun to look at but don't seem as playable/habitable.

MNC said:
Why would you reskin a perfectly skinned game :(

I agree. Some of the custom skins are kinda neat, but everything about the graphics in this game is gorgeous as is.

GDJustin said:
Eh, I dunno. I rerolled a bunch of new worlds just to test the new terrain generator and I'm not that impressed. Went back to my old world. The new generator certainly makes more impressive peaks and cliff-faces and more "interesting" terrain. You see gorgeous overhangs all over the place now.

But, I've also seen a lot more floating islands, and a lot of the new peaks are fun to look at but don't seem as playable/habitable.

You have an interesting way of looking at this game.

You say "But, I've also seen a lot more floating islands" as if floating islands were a bad thing. Also every mountain is playable if you have ambition!

GDJustin

I just think the new terrain generator is quite a bit more erratic than the old one. Does it create crazier stuff? Yes. But it does so at the expense of the stability/playability of the terrain itself.

I rolled one world that had a hill I liked a lot, but the hill itself was mostly hollow and had lots of holes that led straight down, all the way to the bottom if someone fell in.

Introducing weirdness like that is regression and not progress, imo.

Or, at best it is a "side-grade" and not a clear cut upgrade. I'd just like to see worlds that feature snow in the north and desert to the south before the base algorithm itself was tinkered with too much more.

Aaron

I personally dislike the floating islands. I think the game is more interesting when it remains somewhat rooted in reality.

Rapstah

Trying out the new generator now and it's made perfect hills for my Moria project... I just hope the mountain I picked isn't a Swiss cheese of zombie-infested tunnels.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there any other way buying this game other than paypal or credit card? I cant seem to find any.

GDJustin

Just to be clear, I grok that the random generator is... random. I did roll 8-10 worlds and wasn't crazy about any of them, but it could have just beed a bad stretch. It doesn't matter anyway since I've decided to stick with the world I made before the generator tweaks made their debut.

KuroNeeko

Just curious, but has anyone actually died from a mob yet?

I'm playing Alpha on medium and the only death I've had was when I tried to burrow behind a lava waterfall.

Am I doing something wrong? :p

Aaron said:
I got stomped by a large ninja slime that dropped from the ceiling. I think he actually split into smaller slimes from the impact.

Aw man, that sounds awesome!

I was hoping for that death-lurks-around-every-corner feeling you get from Rogue games...

Aaron

KuroNeeko said:
Just curious, but has anyone actually died from a mob yet?

I'm playing Alpha on medium and the only death I've had was when I tried to burrow behind a lava waterfall.

Am I doing something wrong? :p
I got stomped by a large ninja slime that dropped from the ceiling. I think he actually split into smaller slimes from the impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom