• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:
If it's a bug, it's one that happens every time. And beware your lit areas. They are no longer safe.
Do monsters spawn really close to you? I don't like the idea of monsters spawning in my house, but it would be even worse if they appeared in front of my face.

I actually like the new grass/tree textures and colors, by the way. I've been using the default textures.

Exano

Neo Member
IT's only the first portal you build that does that.

The ones following it will no longer have that issue, at least for me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Blizzard said:
Do monsters spawn really close to you? I don't like the idea of monsters spawning in my house, but it would be even worse if they appeared in front of my face.

I actually like the new grass/tree textures and colors, by the way. I've been using the default textures.

They spawn anywhere now. And the monsters in hell know when you're porting in, so if you die once, they will rape you repeatedly upon return. It takes 2 hits for the sword-wielding pig zombie men to kill you, and they hunt in packs. One of the block types in hell is "quicksand" or "mud." You walk on it, you move at 1/2 speed. You do. The mobs do not.

Hell will fuck you up.

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:
They spawn anywhere now.
So have you literally verified that I could be in a 2x4 hut shelter, and a monster could spawn inside, 2 blocks away from me? I just want to make absolutely sure this is possible. :/ In the past, they had some minimum distance away from you. Also, what difficulty are you playing on?

Jasoco

Banned
Won't connect to the server. Keeps failing and telling me to try aga-- Wait.. fuck. It just worked!

I don't see any fish though. Are they not in the game yet?

upandaway

WanderingWind said:
They spawn anywhere now. And the monsters in hell know when you're porting in, so if you die once, they will rape you repeatedly upon return. It takes 2 hits for the sword-wielding pig zombie men to kill you, and they hunt in packs. One of the block types in hell is "quicksand" or "mud." You walk on it, you move at 1/2 speed. You do. The mobs do not.

Hell will fuck you up.
This is not funny.

I'm not laughing.

Is it really that bad? I'm too scared to visit even once. Especially when I have to make a different portal to go back to my base.

Edit: Aren't the different areas.. a bit small?

I mean right now I'm in a snowland, 3 meters from me is a desert, and a forest is in clear, plain view. That's a bit awkward.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Played for 10 minutes in awe of the new sunset and ive seen 0 monsters near my unfinished glass fortress or anywhere near it.

OMG, he must have tweaked the lighting some because night time = OMFG DARKNESS AHHHHH. SO AWESOME.

owlbeak

Loving the update. New grass texture is neat because of the different grasses in different biomes. :D

Edit: However, all of my SP worlds were deleted when I updated? I didn't have anything built really in SP anyway.

upandaway said:
This is not funny.

I'm not laughing.

Is it really that bad? I'm too scared to visit even once. Especially when I have to make a different portal to go back to my base.

Edit: Aren't the different areas.. a bit small?

I mean right now I'm in a snowland, 3 meters from me is a desert, and a forest is in clear, plain view. That's a bit awkward.
Yeah, he is going to change the sizes.

EDIT: Hmm, random lava burns random forest without my influence, pretty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait, monsters can now spawn anywhere, including in the light?

That's some stupid shit.

WanderingWind

Yes. I have a 5x5 hut as my starting point. I spawned right next to a friendly skeleton. It's very well lit, as it's my home base. Working through the tunnels - all extremely well lit - toward the portal is exceptionally hazardous. Monsters all over the place.

Portals can go "out" so you need to bring a flint and steel. I tried to escape the Nether just now, and the portal blinked out. I died.

This shit just went to 11.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I feel like im playing a entirely new game. Minecraft 2.0 and im fucking loving this.

Feel like a little child just exploring around inside a candy store exploding with excitement.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WanderingWind said:
Yes. I have a 5x5 hut as my starting point. I spawned right next to a friendly skeleton. It's very well lit, as it's my home base. Working through the tunnels - all extremely well lit - toward the portal is exceptionally hazardous. Monsters all over the place.

Portals can go "out" so you need to bring a flint and steel. I tried to escape the Nether just now, and the portal blinked out. I died.

Could it be relative to the portal though?

Having monsters spawn everywhere regardless of light seems like a fucking stupid idea. Really, really, really fucking stupid. It defeats the whole purpose of laying torches as a means of protection when exploring at night.

As much as I freaking love Minecraft sometimes I think Notch wants to make a game that I really dont want to play, which is a shame.

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:

What difficulty are you playing on? I mined in a hut all night, and didn't see any monsters. In my new world the biome differences are visible, but they aren't too small for me...and if they get a little bigger that's okay though it can make coal hard to find I think.

Chickens drop feathers (though maybe that was an old update I forgot). I got a good number of feathers and arrows from monsters during the first night too, and there are lots of animals around for food and such. The sunset and sunrise effects are pretty great.

Oh, and I didn't lose any of my previous saves as far as I can tell...that's really weird if they were deleted. Make sure you back up your directories before you update I guess? :(

EatChildren said:

Having monsters spawn everywhere regardless of light seems like a fucking stupid idea. Really, really, really fucking stupid. It defeats the whole purpose of laying torches as a means of protection when exploring at night.

As much as I freaking love Minecraft sometimes I think Notch wants to make a game that I really dont want to play, which is a shame.
Try it and see if it's as bad as you think.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. The golden "glass" sounding blocks in Hell.. er The Nether.. give you some weird yellow dust now. I wonder how it works?

I can't figure out anything I can do with this new yellow dust yet. If anyone figures it out, let us know! I tried making a torch with it but no dice. And it doesn't act like red dust in that it makes wires so I dunno...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Spawned a new world. The FIRST DAY had a creeper sneak up on me and blow me up.

Maybe Notch fucked up the code intended to make things more dangerous the deeper you go? And it's actually more dangerous everywhere? :lol

Stitch

Gold Member
D3BJ8.jpg

oh fuck, get out of my mine you monster.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU

WanderingWind

EatChildren said:

No. It has no relation to the portal. My starting point is on the surface, my portal is near the bedrock through a tunnel system. Also, I now have two portals. Seems that other one didn't go out. But I didn't make the other one.

EatChildren said:

Well, it's probably a bug, he would mention something like that I think.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm on Peaceful and nothing spawns. I'm almost afraid to try out even Easy. Even on Peaceful I hear Hell sounds when in the normal world next to my portal.

owlbeak

Performance for me has degraded quite a bit when it's building new chunks off in the distance. I can tell when it's building because the game will stutter horribly, which it's never done before. It does it even if I turn down the graphics and fog on and everything. :\

Rapstah

I went down my deepest mine shaft to find diamond and/or obsidian to make a hell portal, dug a couple of blocks into a wall, turned around and the place was full of skeletons. It's WELL lit but right next to bedrock. They were patrolling around the place and there was this one moment where I turned around and stared straight into the eyes of a skeleton who was also staring straight into mine with no one doing anything. Escaped with one heart. NEVER going down there again.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Cows/pigs/sheep seem to be spawning in absurd numbers in my world.

And there is no chance at all of me getting lost and unable to find my original snowy world biome, because wherever it encounters a new biome there's a sheer 5~20 block cliff to fall off.

Blizzard

Banned
Another thing, I dunno if it's new, but I actually saw a creeper going AWAY from me over a hill in the morning...it seems that they just roam around, and when you get close THEN they come charging in. Scary.

For anyone with cliff problems, try making a new world. Maybe I got lucky, but I didn't see that sort of thing. Also, surely there are gonna be bugs, but I'm optimistic that Notch will fix some. So far I'm really liking the changes and new possibilities...we'll see what happens! :D

EatChildren

Blizzard said:
Try it and see if it's as bad as you think.

I am, but it does sound like a silly idea in theory. I thoroughlly dislike the idea of having my giant fortresses infested with spawning monsters despite being extremely well lit. If I cant keep my home safe its less encouraging to build one.

Though, I really dont enjoy survival as much as others.

Prophet Steve said:
Well, it's probably a bug, he would mention something like that I think.

Thats what I'm thinking.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just saw a creeper spawn in the lake near by at noon time. Poor guy cant swim :(

Its probably 1/3rd the spawn rate or less for day time on creepers. Not bad at all.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, nothing happens if you destroy a block in the portal frame except that the purple disappears. Shame. I expected a nuclear meltdown or to be sucked into some weird limbo where the world was created from elements of both realms.

Still don't know what to do with the golden dust.

I also had creepers spawn inside, in the light, in a small room above ground. blew me up and took out a bunch of diamond and resources. something's not right. I set it for peaceful now :/

Still can't figure anything out with yellow dust.

Helmholtz

Horsebite said:
Performance for me has degraded quite a bit when it's building new chunks off in the distance. I can tell when it's building because the game will stutter horribly, which it's never done before. It does it even if I turn down the graphics and fog on and everything. :\
Ya my performance seems noticeably worse than before.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Metalic Sand said:
Just saw a creeper spawn in the lake near by at noon time. Poor guy cant swim :(

Its probably 1/3rd the spawn rate or less for day time on creepers. Not bad at all.

Daytime creeper killed me. Kinda lame IMO. Daytime, on the surface, needs to be safe. Otherwise people will need to always stay by their spawn, for fear of losing valuable materials.

Maybe some biomes are safer than others? Lots of creepers int he desert or something, maybe.

Vlad

I FIGURED OUT THE WATCH!!

Woohoo! I'll spoiler it in case anybody wants to figure it out on their own:

It's exactly the same as the compass, except it uses gold instead of iron

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
BlueScrote said:
Finally found my base. I then spent the next 2 hours building two tower-arrows pointing to it. And covering them with torches.

Is there a recommended design approach for putting together tall buildings or digging deep. I always seem to have problems getting up and down a structure.

You have two choices, I would say. Build scaffolding around what you're building/want to build. Meaning, a framework structure that lets you get up high enough and doesn't get in the way of you building a bridge or sky way or whatever.

The other, and this is actually the time consuming method I employed because I got frustrated by night time making me retreat for the night, is to start your bridge or skyway from the desired level and just creep out on the edge of your in progress bridge, just enough to be able to extend it by one row of blocks but without falling off. I fell off a couple times this way, but I was able to work through the night.

I guess the MOST efficient way would be to finish your scaffolding in a day in a manner that would allow you to work through the night, but I figured if I went down that avenue personally, with my extreme minecraft OCD, that I'd never get anything else done ever.

fresquito

Those having spawn problems (or any kind of problems for the matter) should tell if it's a new world or an old one. I have played just a few minutes and my biomes, while not extremely big, are big enough (although bigger would be better). And they made sense and looked cool. Performance has taken a big hit, though.

Haven't seen any monster, but haven't played at night yet. I'm about to start a new world and see how it fares.

owlbeak

I just created a new world.

As soon as it got dark on the surface, 4 zombies, 2 skeletons and 3 creepers spawned in a valley below me. FFUUU! Shit just got real and scary. :lol

Now it's even more imperative to start digging as soon as you start a game.

Jasoco

Banned
When you're in the Nether, your compass goes crazy. Not knowing where your home is. Pretty neat. Also, for some reason, my entrance portal is 90º rotated to the exit inside the Nether. So when I enter it, I end up facing the obsidian.

But I haven't had any mis-jumps yet. My portal always acts normally.

WvyrJ.png

wtfisthisshit.gif

Seriously, been stuck at this screen for quite some time now. :lol

Edit: force-quit and now it updates..
Edit2: nooooo... Restarted the game. 0.1mb. Respawned at spawn, items gone. :(

*shakes fist*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom