• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

KuroNeeko said:
Just curious, but has anyone actually died from a mob yet?

I'm playing Alpha on medium and the only death I've had was when I tried to burrow behind a lava waterfall.

Am I doing something wrong? :p
No. You're apparently staying inside at night and that's the point. If you want to try your luck, drop everything you have in a chest, lock the door to your house and go out at night.

KuroNeeko

Rapstah said:
No. You're apparently staying inside at night and that's the point. If you want to try your luck, drop everything you have in a chest, lock the door to your house and go out at night.

Aren't they supposed to come and try to bust my house down?

Rapstah

KuroNeeko said:
Aren't they supposed to come and try to bust my house down?
Not implemented yet. Although you can get the feeling of that if an exploding green duder decides to blow your walls down and other zombies take the chance to enter.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Okay, I just started a new world in hopes of a really awesome mountain range, and I wasn't left disappointed. This new world is full of huge mountains, cliffs, "underpasses", caverns and whatever the fuck. Here's my new Hightower Project.

The front entrance isn't really that pretty, but I kinda like it.

tower.jpg

Here's the first floor, it's usually filled with clouds so I had to wait a while to snap a good picture of it.

tower1.jpg

Second floor, with only the furnace in it at the moment. The first and second floor will probably have a lot of chests added into them once I've gotten around to it.

tower2.jpg

The view from the window is blocked by this huge tree, and I started wondering if I should cut it or make a terrace into the tree and make it into sort of a "treehouse-wing". What do you guys think?

tower3.jpg

Here's the last floor at the moment, which finally got me over the clouds. Amazing view from here.

tower4.jpg

And here, the whole mountain and my first tower. My final goal is to add in two more towers that are connected together by a bridge. One here where I'm standing, and one to the cliff behind the first tower. The towers will have a lot more floors in them later on.

tower5.jpg

Ambitious? Maybe. Doable? Totally!

KuroNeeko

Osaka said:

Ambitious? Maybe. Doable? Totally!

Looks pretty sweet. If you put some point spires on the top of it - the whole thing would look like a giant dog!

Rapstah said:
Not implemented yet. Although you can get the feeling of that if an exploding green duder decides to blow your walls down and other zombies take the chance to enter.

Ah, too bad. Thanks for the info though. At least I know it's coming eventually.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Okay Gaf, I want to buy that game but CANT. Credit Card I tried isnt working and I cant use paypal. I would be willing to send the 10Euros to a Gaffer, who logs into my account and buys the game. Can anyone help me out with this? If yes, PM please.

MNC

Toma said:
Okay Gaf, I want to buy that game but CANT. Credit Card I tried isnt working and I cant use paypal. I would be willing to send the 10Euros to a Gaffer, who logs into my account and buys the game. Can anyone help me out with this? If yes, PM please.
I'm willing to try this.

Billen

Banned
Funky Functionality said:
Thanks! They're basically a series of rooms 3 blocks tall, 2 wide, 2 deep, and each room is one block lower than the last, with two half-height steps on each level so you don't have to jump when running back up. Very quick and easy to excavate without inadvertently falling to your death if you break through a cavern ceiling.

You need a furnace (made from cobblestone), some sand, and something like coal or wood for fuel. As for the switches... no idea, haven't bothered to make any yet.

Dude, this 3D Dot Game Heroes terrain is AWESOME:

*images*

That does look really awesome. Gotta try them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SpinningFrog said:
I did that once, dug a giant spiral staircase all the way down to the bottom. Then I dug around looking for the rare stuff for about 10 minutes and found a hole in the floor, so i did what any normal person would do, i jumped through it.

It didn't end well.
Yup, my brother found one of those. He jumped in, and we were all like "Hahaha, awesome! Man, thats awesome!" until I was like "....wait ...dude....what about all your stuff?" and he was like ".....FUCK!"
I was rolling on the floor as he ranted for a bit.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
So uh.. I tried reskinning (took backup of the .jar file of course), and it didn't work. However, I noticed that ESC wouldn't open the menu anymore. I closed Minecraft again, put back in the original .jar and restarted. Still won't open. Wat :(

Fitz

Tempy said:
What's the best use for Gold? Armor? It's pretty lousy for a pickaxe.

Yeah armour for certain, unless you've got some apples, in which case make some golden apples, which restore 100% health, great for emergencies.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Meatpuppet said:
I think you need two blocks between each one for them to grow.

Hmm, thanks for the tip. Ended up having only one tree growing there. Do I need multiple grass patches or does the one square suffice?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Finally got far enough for me to decide to settle down, will take pics of my home when it's finished, it's located by a nice waterfall as well, if I climb up the waterfall there's like a small field enclosed by mountains, which is where I have my mine entrance :D.

I'm making some glass now to make smexy windows for my house.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
jetsetfluken said:
Has anyone thought of making a map for the giant temple from Shadow of the Colossus?
This post reminds me of it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22524567&postcount=885

Made this in the free multi version.

sotc1.jpg

It was sotc inspired, not based on any of the structures. Took forever to just make the spiral staircase and the mound of grass the tower sits on. By the time I got to making the castle I was exhausted and did a quick build. Pretty much right after I finished a griefer came in a reeked havoc on the whole level.

sotc10.jpg

I thought it started to look more sotc-y as it was being destroyed. :lol

The save file was reverted to a previous version and only the staircase remains.

If someone actually made the real tower and the bridge... man that would be cool.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
This sapling should have enough space for growing, right? Wiki said it'd need 5x5. Does that mean it needs 5 blocks of space to each direction or just to be inside a clear 5x5 area?

sapling.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
I just think the new terrain generator is quite a bit more erratic than the old one. Does it create crazier stuff? Yes. But it does so at the expense of the stability/playability of the terrain itself.

I rolled one world that had a hill I liked a lot, but the hill itself was mostly hollow and had lots of holes that led straight down, all the way to the bottom if someone fell in.

Introducing weirdness like that is regression and not progress, imo.
That is one risk of the single-developer single-version thing going on here. Notch just made a post about people apparently distributing older versions of the client, i.e. maybe pirating it, and naturally he doesn't want that. Since he doesn't provide older versions himself though, I've made a backup of my own game files in case some new update ever comes that I don't like. Some examples people might not like:

1. The terrain generator changes like just happened with the last update. I like the changes, but I could see other people disliking them and wanting slow rolling hills with no floating islands, big cliffs, and so forth. Unless Notch gives an option to prefer one or the other, I don't see how everyone can really be happy. I guess it could sometimes do crazy terrain, sometimes do normal terrain, or do a world that's part normal and part crazy...
2. The torches change, as I think the wiki said Notch planned. You might have an entirely lit island or castle fortress, and if you then loaded it up one day and the torches started burning out...
3. What if monsters changed, and suddenly some of them can eat through your dirt/blow holes in your walls etc., and suddenly your weeks of building get monster-griefed...

I think the developer is pretty cool, but those are just some (reasonable, hopefully) examples of how a version might suddenly introduce some regression that would be unpleasant, and there's not much you can do about it besides backing up the client. Perhaps I should try to email/contact the guy and ask if he has input.

Finally, some unrelated things:
1. Oh yeah, silly wool. Why do I bother hitting sheep until we get dye. >_> I guess it might look nice as a building material anyway if I'm not afraid of fire.
2. I have died to enemies several times, almost entirely due to creepers so far (I haven't encountered slimes). As long as you get torches quickly and hide inside at night, you're pretty safe until you get to deep caves, I think. When it's scary is when you're afield when night is falling and you have to run home, or when a hole gets busted in your home, and it can be tough when there are 3+ creepers outside your home each morning and you have to try to safely kill them. As I said, I haven't seen ANYTHING with my new mountain, so maybe the terrain generator has screwed them over a bit.
3. For you people building over the cloud layer, have you tested how far up the world actually goes? The cloud layer was usually the limit in the classic creative version but I haven't yet just built a spire on the top of my above-clouds mountain to see how it works out.

couldn't sleep this morning because I was thinking about how to build my castle on top of my mountain.:lol Anyway, taking screenshots as I go along to document my building. Will post when it is complete.

filipe

Blizzard said:
That is one risk of the single-developer single-version thing going on here. Notch just made a post about people apparently distributing older versions of the client, i.e. maybe pirating it, and naturally he doesn't want that. Since he doesn't provide older versions himself though, I've made a backup of my own game files in case some new update ever comes that I don't like. Some examples people might not like:

1. The terrain generator changes like just happened with the last update. I like the changes, but I could see other people disliking them and wanting slow rolling hills with no floating islands, big cliffs, and so forth. Unless Notch gives an option to prefer one or the other, I don't see how everyone can really be happy. I guess it could sometimes do crazy terrain, sometimes do normal terrain, or do a world that's part normal and part crazy...
2. The torches change, as I think the wiki said Notch planned. You might have an entirely lit island or castle fortress, and if you then loaded it up one day and the torches started burning out...
3. What if monsters changed, and suddenly some of them can eat through your dirt/blow holes in your walls etc., and suddenly your weeks of building get monster-griefed...

I think the developer is pretty cool, but those are just some (reasonable, hopefully) examples of how a version might suddenly introduce some regression that would be unpleasant, and there's not much you can do about it besides backing up the client. Perhaps I should try to email/contact the guy and ask if he has input.

1. Oh yeah, silly wool. Why do I bother hitting sheep until we get dye. >_> I guess it might look nice as a building material anyway if I'm not afraid of fire.
2. I have died to enemies several times, almost entirely due to creepers so far (I haven't encountered slimes). As long as you get torches quickly and hide inside at night, you're pretty safe until you get to deep caves, I think. When it's scary is when you're afield when night is falling and you have to run home, or when a hole gets busted in your home, and it can be tough when there are 3+ creepers outside your home each morning and you have to try to safely kill them. As I said, I haven't seen ANYTHING with my new mountain, so maybe the terrain generator has screwed them over a bit.
3. For you people building over the cloud layer, have you tested how far up the world actually goes? The cloud layer was usually the limit in the classic creative version but I haven't yet just built a spire on the top of my above-clouds mountain to see how it works out.

As for point 2, Notch had this in indev mode. You were able to pick if it was always sunner out, the kind of terrain (floating island being one) and such. He'll probably bring it back.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExecutive said:
couldn't sleep this morning because I was thinking about how to build my castle on top of my mountain.:lol Anyway, taking screenshots as I go along to document my building. Will post when it is complete.
Here are a few pictures of my new world. As I was mining around in my basement I came out to a cliff edge:

clipboard09rued.jpg

The view is pretty nice aside from clouds getting in my basement (I tend to panic and think it's water seeping through when they first move :lol). Notice that the terrain in the distance doesn't look TOO crazy, at least in my opinion.
clipboard03xutn.jpg

...this is what's at the bottom of the cliff I was just looking off of, I think. I died shortly after the earlier screenshot and apparently my items vanished. =( Welcome to Khazad-dûm!
clipboard05dup1.jpg

(also, thanks for the indev terrain generator info -- picking from a bunch of configuration options before running the world generator would be awesome!)

Blizzard said:

This is still alpha so all kinds of implimentations are going to be made. I think one of a few reasons he has already started selling this game is that he can get input from an ever growing audience in order to broaden the development of this game. However, we have to be prepared to lose buildings even save files due to where this game is in development. Just gotta accept the risk.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Well, I am going to leave my current world. At first I was going to stick with it.. but I fell into a deep cavern and was consumed by slimes so I figured it would be an appropriate time to leave my world. Here it is in it's final state.

My house and it's in-construction bridge to my once future home
vJzyh.png

Inside, at the front door. Notice the hardwood floors. The house is four stories.
8rFTI.png

The story above the front door
FR2OW.png

The viewing room
nLwzz.png

The top of the house, looking at my water canal
AzNn6.png

Back near the front door, stairs that lead into the mine prep room
dR03b.png

There is also a ladder down to the room for quick access
4hWd9.png

Down in the mine prep room. (notice the ladder)
ye35E.png

Storage
Cc2Tf.png

Mine entrance
PEGss.png

Side entrance to house, and the house as a whole
j2DyJ.png

Unpictured features include a built in waterfall elevator with a secret waterfall entrance, and there is another small shelter halfway down the water bridge.

Goodbye. It wasn't the prettiest house, but it was my first. I plan on my next world to be more aesthetically pleasing. And no water canal this time - minecarts instead.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
K2Valor said:
Goodbye. It wasn't the prettiest house, but it was my first. I plan on my next world to be more aesthetically pleasing. And no water canal this time - minecarts instead.
Remember: Minecarts have to be angled down.

Kuran

Banned
Started building a mountain watchtower yesterday... for about three hours.

I was really tired, it was already 9am and I hadn't slept.. when I finally went to sleep, my mind was just racing.. chipping away blocks and tunneling. I couldn't stop, and I could visualize perfectly what I was supposedly doing.

Oh, for some reason I didn't see a single monster at night in my area, although I did 'hear' scary music start to play when I was in the mines. My difficulty was on normal.. could it be a glitch? I hope I don't have to start a new map...

Blizzard

Banned
Kuran said:
Oh, for some reason I didn't see a single monster at night in my area, although I did 'hear' scary music start to play when I was in the mines. My difficulty was on normal.. could it be a glitch? I hope I don't have to start a new map...
Same here, but I think it's because I'm on a mountain. I think I have seen/heard one or two flaming skeletons.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: the terrain generator - my guess would be the final version of the game will have sliders, or a at least toggles. For more rolling hills or steeper cliffs, more or less trees, etc.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
K2Valor said:
Well, I am going to leave my current world. At first I was going to stick with it.. but I fell into a deep cavern and was consumed by slimes so I figured it would be an appropriate time to leave my world. Here it is in it's final state.

Okay, I feel embarrassed to post this after your awesome project, but here's my two towers connected by a bridge. Phase 2, complete!

phase2.jpg

phase2-1.jpg

The second tower is still unfurnished as I just wanted to hurry with the bridge. :lol

Dragnet

Monsters seem to be very random...some nights I get none at all, some nights there are a fair few.

I threw my mate into the game yesterday and he just about managed to build a temporary base into a low tree. In the morning he opened the door to 2 creepers, 5 spiders, a zombie and 2 skeletons. It was mental, and very unfair for his first night in the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh noooooooo

The usual thing happened: I died, game crashed a couple minutes later (less than 5) and i lost half my progress.

The sad part: A bunch of diamonds are gone.

Sweet. Might be a sign for me to create a new world and see why is everybody freaking out about the new terrain creator.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Blizzard said:
Same here, but I think it's because I'm on a mountain. I think I have seen/heard one or two flaming skeletons.
I saw 3 at once running around, is it because they're in the sun? I was like "Phew! Monsters are burning up!"

Then out of nowhere, a creeper :(

Blizzard

Banned
Easy_D said:
I saw 3 at once running around, is it because they're in the sun? I was like "Phew! Monsters are burning up!"

Then out of nowhere, a creeper :(
Zombies and skeletons burn if they're in the sun, but apparently sometimes they can survive in the shade of big trees. I don't know if they're smart enough to try to find shade on their own.

I think spiders become relatively peaceful in the day unless you attack them. They spawn in the dark, but they will try to chase you at night. Creepers will spawn in the dark and try to find you, and they don't die in the sun as far as I know. If they're spawned and chasing you, they presumably continue that in the day, but I don't know if something ever happens that makes them stop chasing you and despawn (i.e. since I haven't seen any creepers at all, and if it was spawning 5 every night you would think that eventually a huge crowd of creepers would make it to the top of my mountain).

*edit* A spider finally made it up, and scared me since I heard it outside my mine and I was hoping it wasn't inside it. The spider also took off half a heart of damage even though I was wearing a helmet and boots...so it's just damage reduction, not damage elimination?

wiki said:
This armor prevents all damage dealt to the player, including falling, drowning and fire based damage.
I have 2.5 armor protection, and my leather boots and hat have nearly full meters, so it sounds like the wiki is wrong here unless I'm missing something.

Blizzard

Banned
Also I just answered my own question -- the map seems capped at 15-20 blocks above the cloud layer, so don't try to build a sky fortress TOO high.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Blizzard said:
Also I just answered my own question -- the map seems capped at 15-20 blocks above the cloud layer, so don't try to build a sky fortress TOO high.

Yeah, was disappointed when I reached the limit myself.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
That mining method is technically correct in that it is the most efficient way of exposing all underground blocks with the least amount of blocks mined, but it is also terribly impractical in a "real world" minecraft setting. You'll die all the time, to escape you'll have to either fill the holes all back in or have a million ladders, etc.

Better method is to mine a shaft straight down to the adminium, and have a ladder to get back up. Then strip-mine the bottom ~4 layers of stone in all directions to find the rare diamond and redstone that hides under there.

Blizzard

Banned
Bacon seems to be more common again to me -- pigs usually drop it. I also went all the way down the mountain, quickly sealed a cave into a new temporary house, and am spending the night at ground level...and I hear no monsters near the beach. Maybe this new version has few monsters too. :lol

dejay

Banned
Alright - I've dived in and am enjoying it so far. There seems to be a fair bit of depth hidden behind the simple interface.

Question - is there a way of seeing your direction? Do the clouds only travel in one direction for instance?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
dejay said:
Alright - I've dived in and am enjoying it so far. There seems to be a fair bit of depth hidden behind the simple interface.

Question - is there a way of seeing your direction? Do the clouds only travel in one direction for instance?
Afaik clouds only travel north.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
dejay said:

I use sunset/sunrise as my directional compass

Blizzard

Banned
So further armor testing...it does not eliminate fall damage, or damage in general, as far as I can tell. I have a full suit of armor, with full bars (I -think-), everything leather except for an iron chestpiece, and I only have 9.5 total armor points. Is there something else that makes it 10?

*edit* I found my first dungeon, with spiders in it. Went ahead and mined for like 9 seconds to destroy the spawner block since I didn't really want to keep it. Maybe that was a bad idea but eh. :p

Razorskin

----- ------
I hope Notch adds chickens in the next friday update because I need a way to make arrows without having to hunt zombies for feathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom