• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
D-Pad said:
What is this? Are there monsters down there? Even on peaceful mode?

http://imgur.com/DDzQK.png

I'm so far away from the spawn point right now. I just traveled east for about 7-10 game-days straight, stopping only to make tiny bases with a chest of the treasure I gathered along the way. This stop I set up a pretty big camp, with a smelting stove and all, because I found a cave with lots of iron on top. Then I walk a few paces and started attacking this chicken and wound up uncovering... That...

So again, are there monsters down there? Looking in I don't see any but... Gah! I'm such a chicken when it comes to shit like this. :lol The dark noises don't help matters at all.

Monster spawners don't spawn monsters on peaceful, so it's chests to loot for free.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
D-Pad said:
What is this? Are there monsters down there? Even on peaceful mode?

http://imgur.com/DDzQK.png[IMG]

I'm so far away from the spawn point right now. I just traveled east for about 7-10 game-days straight, stopping only to make tiny bases with a chest of the treasure I gathered along the way. This stop I set up a pretty big camp, with a smelting stove and all, because I found a cave with lots of iron on top. Then I walk a few paces and started attacking this chicken and wound up uncovering... That...

So again, are there monsters down there? Looking in I don't see any but... Gah! I'm such a chicken when it comes to shit like this. :lol The dark noises don't help matters at all.[/QUOTE]
Is that naturally occurring cobblestone down there? Don't think I've ever seen that.

::edit::
That just happens around spawn cages, right? I remembered about the mossy cobblestone right after that post. I've admittedly only found one spawn cage before and was so excited about it I didn't really notice the surroundings.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Vlad said:
Grrrr... I still have yet to find anything like that in my trips to the Nether. Both portals I made ended up sticking me in these tiny little caves with the random pigmen wandering around. The caves just kind of dead-end in all directions eventually, and I've burned through a ton of picks building tunnels to try and find anything as interesting as what's in that picture, but all I've come away with are stacks and stacks of red rock.

Well, if you make portals underground in the real world, you'll end up underground in the Nether as well.

The implementation of the Nether is really something.

I've set up a portal hub in there in a shell of cobblestone, with long paths extending in each direction from a central entry point. Its completely immune to the Ghast.

At the end of each path (about a minute long) is an exit-gate. Its amazing, one takes me to a series of tropical islands in the sea, scattered about. Another takes me to a swamp-wilderness, and finally the third takes me to flat arctic snowlands, linked by ice-covered lakes. In a month of playing the game, its my first ever encounter with snow!

I have Minecraft. I don't even think of buying any other games. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

D-Pad

Prophet Steve said:
Nope, there is a subtle hint in the difficulty name.

@monroeski

That's easily possible, it only appears in dungeons.

HELL yes!! I took it to mean that no monsters spawn above ground! I didn't know it meant no monsters period! Awesome! time to go in deep!

Vlad

Easy_D said:
Well, if you make portals underground in the real world, you'll end up underground in the Nether as well.

I don't know why everybody keeps saying that, as it's 100% dead wrong.

I've made three portals in the real world now. Two of them were at sea level or a little bit above, and one's way up on a mountaintop.

All three exit portals in the Nether have been in tiny little caves that don't go anywhere. I'm hearing plenty of noises when I'm wandering around in them (screaming and moaning), and I've dug around a bunch, but still no large caverns.

L00P

Hmmm maybe I should give peaceful mode a shot. I'm tired of sticking around in my treehouse staring down at mobs during night time.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Did the "monsters spawning in your living room" bug ever get fixed? I've had them spawning in lit mines deep in the ground near the bedrock, but nowhere else except for outside and dark areas.

Just wondering if the bug was actually fixed or if I've just been lucky.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Should java.exe be registering nearly 600 Meg in the Task Manager's Mem Usage when I'm playing this game? It's been chugging really slowly since the update and I don't really know what to do about it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Monroeski said:
Did the "monsters spawning in your living room" bug ever get fixed? I've had them spawning in lit mines deep in the ground near the bedrock, but nowhere else except for outside and dark areas.

its a feature.

Mike M

Nick N
Vlad said:
I don't know why everybody keeps saying that, as it's 100% dead wrong.

I've made three portals in the real world now. Two of them were at sea level or a little bit above, and one's way up on a mountaintop.

All three exit portals in the Nether have been in tiny little caves that don't go anywhere. I'm hearing plenty of noises when I'm wandering around in them (screaming and moaning), and I've dug around a bunch, but still no large caverns.
?

I don't see how ending up underground in the Nether from above-ground portals some of the time falsifies the statement that *starting* underground will *always* end up underground in the Nether...

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Ive been cartographing my world every few days and saving the pics when i came upon my latest one...

SNUEZl.jpg

http://imgur.com/xX8cS.jpg

Appears to be a massive sand fortress has invaded my world!? :lol

I really hope when i load up my game thats not really there and a error on cartographs part.

Hugbot

Monroeski said:

This morning I had one spawn on a small stub tunnel right near the middle of my main shaft, knocking me off the ladder and killing me. It was surprising!

Vlad

Mike M said:
?

I don't see how ending up underground in the Nether from above-ground portals some of the time falsifies the statement that *starting* underground will *always* end up underground in the Nether...

Ah, whoops. Since he was responding to me I kind of misread the statement. Never a good thing to post while distracted, either.

I'll delete the game before I change the difficulty! As soon as the mobs are gone, its not a world its a sandbox (at least to me).

But that's the beauty of the game, we all play in different ways.

Metalic Sand said:
Ive been cartographing my world every few days and saving the pics when i came upon my latest one...

SNUEZl.jpg

http://imgur.com/xX8cS.jpg

Appears to be a massive sand fortress has invaded my world!? :lol

I really hope when i load up my game thats not really there and a error on cartographs part.

Its the hell-dimension, Cartograph doesn't understand it fully yet. There is no sand cloud invading your world. Not yet, at least.

There's someone on my server who is super anal about everything, and he decided he wanted to build his own town. He invited everyone to come build there, but decreed that every house must be made out of wood and less than two stories high.

So I created a pumpkin tower. Can't wait for him to log on.

Tiktaalik

Pandaman said:
its a feature.

Well a perhaps badly tuned feature. I've only had monsters appearing in lit caverns well beneath the surface. I feel like there could be some correlation to depth.

Hasn't Notch mentioned that this feature of monsters spawning in the dark needs tuning?

Hugbot

Tiktaalik said:
Well a perhaps badly tuned feature. I've only had monsters appearing in lit caverns well beneath the surface. I feel like there could be some correlation to depth.

Hasn't Notch mentioned that this feature of monsters spawning in the dark needs tuning?
Seriously. Well-lit 4x3x3 hole where I'm planning to start a level of my mine, if skeletons spawning there is a feature it's one that needs some tinkering. It was far more hilarious than angering, though.

funkmastergeneral said:
There's someone on my server who is super anal about everything, and he decided he wanted to build his own town. He invited everyone to come build there, but decreed that every house must be made out of wood and less than two stories high.

So I created a pumpkin tower. Can't wait for him to log on.
lol take some screenshots :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tiktaalik said:

He was joking about the feature thing. "It's not a bug, it's a feature" started with one of the first PSP models, I think.

Notch did mention before that the lower you get, the more light you would need to prevent spawning. I'm sure he didn't intend for this to start spawning mobs in ground level massively torch-lit areas. Again, though, I haven't had it happen to me; they've only spawned in the light in my deep mine.

Vlad

Metalic Sand said:
aahhhhhh WTF. If you die any item in your crafting window on your character is insta lost?

My pumpkins i found... my pumpkins :(

It's always been like that, as far as I know.

iam220

Monroeski said:
He was joking about the feature thing. "It's not a bug, it's a feature" started with one of the first PSP models, I think.

Nah, that saying has been part of the programming lingo since ... well ..way before the psp thats for sure. :D

JRW

BooJoh said:
Okay, that's just amazing. Did you gather all the materials yourself or spawn them?

Thanks! I used MineEdit to acquire the needed inventory, It would've been impossible (or taken weeks / months) to gather all that gold, red torches etc.

Other than that everything was built block by block, I grew a TON of tree's and also had some TNT assistance to open up certain areas.

WedgeX

Banned
I've been having lots of monsters spawning in my once safe walled off fortress since the update. Ack!

Also, occasionally the game will speed up play, which makes taking out these hordes inside of my base all the more terrifying. Is that a normal glitch or something that I can actually affect?

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1452872379/survival-mode-multiplayer-is-priority-1#disqus_thread
Loving Notch's focus on multiplayer survival. This is the game that keeps on giving.

I had an idea for a new monster type: it does no damage to you but, by means or touch or perhaps projectile, teleports you a random distance away from where you are.

Imagine: you don't see him sneaking up on you, you don't have your compass with you, and all of a sudden, Q-style, you've been swooped thousands of blocks away, lost. New spawn point, too. You've got to fend for yourself, create a new shelter, and hopefully figure out which way you need to go, perhaps based on the position of the sun/moon, to have a chance of making your way back home.

I'm too scared to wander off on my own; I worry about getting lost. How cool would it be if the threat of that happening was always present? Or maybe I'm just a shameless masochist.

rexor0717

AtlusAram said:
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1452872379/survival-mode-multiplayer-is-priority-1#disqus_thread
Loving Notch's focus on multiplayer survival. This is the game that keeps on giving.

I had an idea for a new monster type: it does no damage to you but, by means or touch or perhaps projectile, teleports you a random distance away from where you are.

Imagine: you don't see him sneaking up on you, you don't have your compass with you, and all of a sudden, Q-style, you've been swooped thousands of blocks away, lost. New spawn point, too. You've got to fend for yourself, create a new shelter, and hopefully figure out which way you need to go, perhaps based on the position of the sun/moon, to have a chance of making your way back home.

I'm too scared to wander off on my own; I worry about getting lost. How cool would it be if the threat of that happening was always present? Or maybe I'm just a shameless masochist.
Worst idea ever, but I do like everything else about it.

AtlusAram said:

I think the new spawn point is particularly cruel, otherwise I like it. Or make it a block that is similar to another type, that upon breaking it teleports you to a random location.

My new world spawned me in a beachy-swampy area with lots of reed.

Makes me wish there was a recipe to string together the reed into solid bamboo blocks so I can make a grass hut. Building my floaty harbor dock city out of wood is going to make it really ugly :(

Vlad said:
It's always been like that, as far as I know.
huh my paranoia's been justified. I knew storing things there felt wrong. I always ask myself, whats most disposable, before I move shit there for carrying but i never knew it actually had any negative side effects for sure. thanks.

Dorrin

I was finally able to get the portal from my main base linked up to a working portal at my new secondary base, lots of trail and error on portal placement to get it figured out but it is pretty nice now, much faster. Sometime in the future I may just take some blocks did for a long time and make a portal in some random far away location, might be fun.

BooJoh

D-Pad said:
So there are no monsters on peaceful mode?!
Slimes can spawn in peaceful, just FYI. When I found one it really startled me, but I think they're harmless unless they nudge you off a cliff/into lava/etc.

EDIT: a couple people mentioned swamps... anyone have a screenshot of such an area?

AAAAAAAAAURGHHHHHH

I finally caved in and bought this. I've punched the shit out of some trees and made wood for my cabin, but GOOD LORD NOW IT'S NIGHT AND CREEPY MUSIC IS PLAYING AND SHIIIT I need to get a roof OH MY GOD I ONLY HAVE DIRT OH WELL OH SHIT WHATS THAT SOUND AAAAAAAAAA ITS SO DARK

Edit: If I completely seal myself away and stand still will the baddies find out I'm there?

FoxHimself said:
AAAAAAAAAURGHHHHHH

I finally caved in and bought this. I've punched the shit out of some trees and made wood for my cabin, but GOOD LORD NOW IT'S NIGHT AND CREEPY MUSIC IS PLAYING AND SHIIIT I need to get a roof OH MY GOD I ONLY HAVE DIRT OH WELL OH SHIT WHATS THAT SOUND AAAAAAAAAA ITS SO DARK

Edit: If I completely seal myself away and stand still will the baddies find out I'm there?

SSSssssssssss

I knocked a hole in my wall and peered out. There's a green creeper walking around. Will he die when the sun rises? I was lucky and found some stone inside my cabin and made a stone pickaxe. I'm guessing it's better than nothing at killing those bastards!

Shit, this is so tense.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FoxHimself said:
I knocked a hole in my wall and peered out. There's a green creeper walking around. Will he die when the sun rises? I was lucky and found some stone inside my cabin and made a stone pickaxe. I'm guessing it's better than nothing at killing those bastards!

Shit, this is so tense.

If you have coal, make torches. Spend the night mining instead of cowering. It's more productive :D

Belfast

Mengy said:
Good point, I keep forgetting that this game is an "alpha" version. Best $14 I've ever spent on a game, but technically we are just paying to beta test for someone!

I spent all afternoon yesterday exploring and mining this huge network of caves I stumbled across down near the bedrock. I literally got lost more than once, the size of this place is just awesome. I finally mined the obsidian to make my own portal, but I haven't made it yet. Instead I went trecking overland to explore some biome landscapes. I like the variety the biomes bring into the land now, it really creates some beautiful vistas and scenery.

I have a new goal in game now. I'm going to build a series of small bases in a few different directions from my main keep, each a little less than a day away from each other. Each one will have it's own mine, so that while I'm waiting the night out I can dig. And each location will be marked by a tall tower that reaches just below the cloud level. Eventually each tower will be capped with a lava lighthouse beacon, similiar to the one I made at my keep, but for now I'll just torch them up.

My save game directory is about to get alot larger...

For real. I mean, I've long since gotten my money out of the game, Alpha or not. Yes, it gets frustrating when you've been having fun and all of a sudden, something changes that's screws with your experience in a negative way.

But it goes both ways, right? If it's an Alpha, then you have to expect problems, but you can also give feedback to make the game better!

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Pinko Marx said:
Do fishing rods still not work? I have one and I've right clicked and left clicked and nothing has happened.

What do you mean still not work? They've worked fine for me from the beginning and I just caught a fish again to make sure.

You equip the rod, right click to cast into the water and wait for a bite, at which point you right click again to bring it in.

Verdre said:
What do you mean still not work? They've worked fine for me from the beginning and I just caught a fish again to make sure.

You equip the rod, right click to cast into the water and wait for a bite, at which point you right click again to bring it in.

They didn't work when they were originally implement before the Halloween update.

mollipen

So, I decide to make my first "back to the real world" portal in the Nether (you know, beyond the original that got me there), and where does it put me? Underground TWO SPACES away from a zombie generator. This game is really evil sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom