• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

shidoshi said:
So, I decide to make my first "back to the real world" portal in the Nether (you know, beyond the original that got me there), and where does it put me? Underground TWO SPACES away from a zombie generator. This game is really evil sometimes.

I've pretty much given up on the portals until they get fixed. All of my Nether portals have generated return portals above ground, and since the watch doesn't work in the Nether, I seem to always end up teleporting back in the middle of the night. With the new spawn rates, I always end up feeling like I'm in the middle of the "Bad Ending" from the first Half-Life.

anyone else having success running a server since the halloween update? Apparently nobody is able to get servers up and running well, except my server has barely any problems, at least thats what i was told.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
My SMP server has been wiped ;_; had to download another minecraft upgrade, logged on and its all changed.. I hope the server admin had backups

Brashnir

Ice Monkey said:
anyone else having success running a server since the halloween update? Apparently nobody is able to get servers up and running well, except my server has barely any problems, at least thats what i was told.

my server is working just fine.

L00P

Yeah, my portal didn't get me back to the original one, taking me in some unfamiliar cave instead. I died and lost all my shit so I didn't bother going back in there.

So I went exploring in a new cave and guess what? I found that portal I made! It's in an unexplored cave near my homestead, waaaay underground:lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Pinko Marx said:
Do you need a bait or something to use a fishing rod? This is really annoying me that nothing is happening when I try to use one.

You just put it on the bottom bar and right click just like any other item. Dont even need to be near water. Just shoot it out whenever.

Metalic Sand said:
You just put it on the bottom bar and right click just like any other item. Dont even need to be near water. Just shoot it out whenever.

Nope, not getting anything. Gunna try redownloading the client and see what happens.
Nothing. This is starting to annoy me

r1chard

So with the new version released I've rolled a new world. Making that fist hut to hide from the insane spawn rate (and distance) mobs is a much higher priority now, so I built my new extremely well-lit home on the beach.

Then my efforts turned to making the land around my new home safer through the power of moats.

trap-1.png

My spawn is just behind the tower of sand I'm standing on. The moats all lead (from quite a distance away) to the collection point in my home:

trap-0.png

So not only does the surrounding landscape keep relatively safe, but also I get to watch the buggers drowning. Also I collect some loot, but that's just a bonus :)

Note the high number of torches in my home needed to make sure there's no nasty surprises when I come up from a day's digging in the mines... even then sometimes something's waiting :-( I really, really hope Notch fixes the mob spawning so some of the map may be made safe again.

seb

Banned
r1chard said:
So with the new version released I've rolled a new world. Making that fist hut to hide from the insane spawn rate (and distance) mobs is a much higher priority now, so I built my new extremely well-lit home on the beach.

Then my efforts turned to making the land around my new home safer through the power of moats.

trap-1.png

My spawn is just behind the tower of sand I'm standing on. The moats all lead (from quite a distance away) to the collection point in my home:

trap-0.png

So not only does the surrounding landscape keep relatively safe, but also I get to watch the buggers drowning. Also I collect some loot, but that's just a bonus :)

Note the high number of torches in my home needed to make sure there's no nasty surprises when I come up from a day's digging in the mines... even then sometimes something's waiting :-( I really, really hope Notch fixes the mob spawning so some of the map may be made safe again.

I think you just need to build higher (like on top of a mountain) to be sure they'll never spawn inside. I live on top of a hill and have never had a mob inside yet but maybe I'm just lucky. It makes sense if you consider that the spawn vs. light rate is dependant of the depth (or altitude).

r1chard

Brashnir said:
I just made one. seems to work fine.

Does the recipe not produce anything at all? or does the finished watch itself not work?
Produces nothing. It's like the combination isn't recognised.

Since i know the booster trick minecarts are so awesome :D I allways thought they are kinda useless but now iam building a trainstation :D Iam doing some experiments now with configurable tracks / redstone and boosters before building it to my main map.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
r1chard said:
Produces nothing. It's like the combination isn't recognised.

The recipe def. works... I made a watch tonight. You're cooking the gold first in a furnace and all that, right? Weird.

r1chard

Just did my first real mining since the update, found a large set of caverns about 10 from the basement. Man that shit is scary now.

r1chard

GDJustin said:
The recipe def. works... I made a watch tonight. You're cooking the gold first in a furnace and all that, right? Weird.
Agh, I figured it out. My modified graphics set doesn't have the watch. It was making it fine, I just couldn't see it. Reverted back to the standard graphics and it's there.

Kozak

Banned
Just rolled a new world and definitely enjoying myself more this time then in my first world. Rather than planning for things I'm just going with the flow this time.

Found a lot of nice and deep looking natural caves already.

xtop

finally did some obsidian mining and made a portal to the nether, or whatever its called now. holy crap talk about scary.

although, i'm not sure how how i'm supposed to do anything. i'm on a tiny plot of land, really high up, surrounded by lava. i can't even safely drop down anywhere. i suppose i'll have to make another portal

Tntnnbltn

xtop said:
although, i'm not sure how how i'm supposed to do anything. i'm on a tiny plot of land, really high up, surrounded by lava. i can't even safely drop down anywhere. i suppose i'll have to make another portal
If you drop a waterfall off the edge you can ride down it and land on an obsidian platform at the bottom.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pinko Marx said:
So I'm deleted the world I've been building on and am gunna start fresh with the new update.
Wish me luck.

I've also decided to start a new world too. Though I'm not deleting my current world, my keep is too awesome and I may go back to fiddle with it now and then. But I spent all of last night generating random new worlds and exploring them a bit, and I really like the way the biomes flow in the new terrain. In my old world, the boundaries of my map (where the new biomes started taking effect) are all straight lines and sliced mountains and exposed shit, it looks like crap. And although it's no big deal and it's only a game that jarring landscape disaster just bothers me. The biome boundaries look so fluid and beautiful in the new generated worlds.

Besides, half of the fun is starting out and creating new stuff. And I know alot more now than I did then. And the new spot I'm building my base on has an awesome view of both sunrise and sunset, plus a huge lake to one side and a cliff with a waterfall that runs into the lake close by. I think I'll make a ranch style house this time instead of a castle keep. With wooden fences and gardens and such. And lots of windows.

FUCK the Nether. Seriously. I went in there for about 7 seconds, and was attacked by like 10 zombies, 6 of those flying ghost things, and a whole bunch of pigs. Now every time I try to go in an get my stuff back, I'm ambushed and killed so quickly. Now I lost all my stuff.

Haunted

I love how the watch and compass go all bonkers in the Nether. :lol It's a nice touch.

ZealousD said:
Painterly Pack has been updated for the Halloween update.

http://painterlypack.net/
yaaaay

Blu_LED said:
FUCK the Nether. Seriously. I went in there for about 7 seconds, and was attacked by like 10 zombies, 6 of those flying ghost things, and a whole bunch of pigs. No every time I try to go in an get my stuff back, I'm ambushed and killed so quickly. Now I lost all my stuff.
That's weird, the pig zombies (there are only pig zombies and ghast for now) shouldn't be agressive as long a you leave them in peace.

There's 4 basic ways to die in The Nether right now

• get nudged/fall into lava
  • attack a pig zombie and be killed in return
  • killed by the ghast's fireballs
  • the astonishingly disturbing sound effects of The Nether drive you mad and you kill yourself to end the torment

:p

Haunted said:
That's weird, the pig zombies (there are only pig zombies and ghast for now) shouldn't be agressive as long a you leave them in peace.

There's 4 basic ways to die in The Nether right now

• get nudged/fall into lava
  • attack a pig zombie and be killed in return
  • killed by the ghast's fireballs
  • the astonishingly disturbing sound effects of The Nether drive you mad and you kill yourself to end the torment
They all fucking attacked me. The ghasts started shooting fireballs all over the place, and all the zombies were going crazy.

Also I'm pretty sure they weren't pigs. They looked like humans and had swords and armor on.

ZZMitch

Blu_LED said:
They all fucking attacked me. The ghasts started shooting fireballs all over the place, and all the zombies were going crazy.

Also I'm pretty sure they weren't pigs. They looked like humans and had swords and armor on.

They are pigman. And I think that if a ghast fireball hits one of them then it will go crazy and start attacking. I think.

WillyFive

seb said:
I think you just need to build higher (like on top of a mountain) to be sure they'll never spawn inside. I live on top of a hill and have never had a mob inside yet but maybe I'm just lucky. It makes sense if you consider that the spawn vs. light rate is dependant of the depth (or altitude).

Nah. I live on top of a mountain and there certainly are monsters that spawn around the top.

1619087-1.jpg

1619088-2.jpg

atlPMIHrMpIR.jpg

Made this failsafe booster :)
The minecart runs infinit on a configurable track.

Its important that the booster reseted 100% by the time the cart arrives.

Kozak

Banned
ignoring the stupid monsters...

image-0775_4CD0373B.jpg

image-701B_4CD0373B.jpg

I got extremely lucky with my spot :D

Hoping to fill up that sand infront of me with a steam that leads down to the ocean.

Haunted

Update on the Brown & Bloom Texture Pack : Apparently the watch and the portal effects don't work properly yet.

Everything else looks disgustingly good, though.

update:Haven't tested Painterly yet.

Painterly works absolutely fine, including watch and portal effects, so download away! I still like B&B more, but that's just personal preference. :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Tntnnbltn said:
If you drop a waterfall off the edge you can ride down it and land on an obsidian platform at the bottom.

I see someone hasn't actually taken a water bucket into The Nether to expiriment with, yet. :D
No water is allowed. If you try to place it, it just fizzles out.

Although oddly, blocks of snow are ok.

upandaway said:
Anyone tried to go into the Nether on Peaceful yet? Are there enemies?

No enemies on Peaceful. I'm playing on Peaceful for now until the surface spawning is fixed. I'm ALL FOR deep areas being more dangerous, but enemies spawning within lit bases on the surface is BS.

ZZMitch said:
I see, on both the bottom and the top?

Yes.

fresquito

maniac-kun said:
Since i know the booster trick minecarts are so awesome :D I allways thought they are kinda useless but now iam building a trainstation :D Iam doing some experiments now with configurable tracks / redstone and boosters before building it to my main map.
Remember carts won't run until you're in the same sector they are. Meaning you can't have a perpetual train system that will work all by itself.

Snytbaggen said:
... Guys? I'm scared. I came up from my mines and found a creeper right in front of my door. I'm afraid to go out.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/535/creeper.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Let him in and offer him some tea.

georgc

Snytbaggen said:
... Guys? I'm scared. I came up from my mines and found a creeper right in front of my door. I'm afraid to go out.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/535/creeper.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

DUDE let him in its cold out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom