• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfast

Yep, Bedrock (Adminium) on both the top and bottom of the Nether. Shame, though. Notch had mentioned six new block types, IIRC, and we only got three (Bloodstone, Brightstone, Mud). Unless you count Pumpkins, then that's four.

There isn't anything else new in the terrain file, so whatever else he was planning on sticking in there he clearly didn't. He just hasn't made any mention of it, either.

Also, I've gotten used to the new spawn rate. It still kind of sucks, but I dunno, like most things, you adapt over time.

Belfast

Snytbaggen said:
... Guys? I'm scared. I came up from my mines and found a creeper right in front of my door. I'm afraid to go out.

creeper.jpg

Geez, man, you're carrying a DIAMOND SWORD. Don't be a puss! At least you can SEE him coming.

Revolutionary said:
Let him in and offer him some tea.

georgc said:
DUDE let him in its cold out there.

I should have done that. Instead I opened the door and peppered him with arrows until he died. I feel bad now :(

Belfast said:
Geez, man, you're carrying a DIAMOND SWORD. Don't be a puss! At least you can SEE him coming.

I know, but I didn't want to risk him exploding and ruining my house, especially since I heard some spiders around too.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Notch thinks it sucks, too.

notch said:
notch Markus Persson
The new Minecraft.net sure is stable! And from playtesting, I agree that the monster spawning brightness torch thing stuff now totally sucks
1 hour ago

So when can we expect a patch for the spawning? Does he update the game often or is it just major patches like the Halloween one? I've only had the game for a little under a week so I'm new to this.

CenLX615

Neo Member
Snytbaggen said:
I should have done that. Instead I opened the door and peppered him with arrows until he died. I feel bad now :(

I know, but I didn't want to risk him exploding and ruining my house, especially since I heard some spiders around too.

The door's made up of two parts, if you stand right on the door block you can hit outside through the window part without opening the door. Creepers won't explode even if it's right in front of you. =P

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Belfast said:
Yep, Bedrock (Adminium) on both the top and bottom of the Nether. Shame, though. Notch had mentioned six new block types, IIRC, and we only got three (Bloodstone, Brightstone, Mud). Unless you count Pumpkins, then that's four.

There isn't anything else new in the terrain file, so whatever else he was planning on sticking in there he clearly didn't. He just hasn't made any mention of it, either.

Also, I've gotten used to the new spawn rate. It still kind of sucks, but I dunno, like most things, you adapt over time.

The unlit pumpkin and the lit pumpkin absolutely count as blocks 4 and 5. Why wouldn't they? Pumpkins might not be as "critical" as something like the new Lightstone, but it is the same amount of work, from Notch's perspective.

He has to create the pixel art, he has to define its properties (what tools destroy it, how long it takes to mine, whether it emits light, whether it respects gravity, etc)., and he has to write the code for its spawning behavior, whether it can be stacked, etc.

Revolutionary said:
So when can we expect a patch for the spawning? Does he update the game often or is it just major patches like the Halloween one? I've only had the game for a little under a week so I'm new to this.
He will patch the game as needed. Halloween was the first time there was a single large update. He originally did small weekly updates pretty often but the process of setting up the company started to swallow enough time that he decided it would be for the best to hold multiple items into a single update after he failed to deliver on a couple promised weekly updates. He will probably fix the spawns pretty soon.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone else want a way to get a pet or raise a pet sometime? Maybe some sort of creature that doesnt disappear and stays only in your house.

I kinda want a pet slime in my house.

GDJustin said:
The unlit pumpkin and the lit pumpkin absolutely count as blocks 4 and 5. Why wouldn't they? Pumpkins might not be as "critical" as something like the new Lightstone, but it is the same amount of work, from Notch's perspective.

He has to create the pixel art, he has to define its properties (what tools destroy it, how long it takes to mine, whether it emits light, whether it respects gravity, etc)., and he has to write the code for its spawning behavior, whether it can be stacked, etc.

And I think the purple portal block stuff counts as 6.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
By FAR the coolest Minecraft world tour I've seen. I literally watched this entire thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkh1yseKwew

A ton of original ideas on display, including several I intend on shamelessly stealing for my own world. MAKE SURE you watch from about 7:30 to 9 minutes. There is an epic surprise at 8:30.

But yeah... just amazing, all round.

Gui_PT

All that work and he can't be bothered to make pressure plates for the doors? =P

Everything looks pretty sweet though.

Jasoco

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Anyone else want a way to get a pet or raise a pet sometime? Maybe some sort of creature that doesnt disappear and stays only in your house.

I kinda want a pet slime in my house.
Definitely. I'd love to keep livestock and have a pet slime or a de-bombed Creeper or something. Even a spider would be cool. Especially since they're tame during the day anyway.

Actually, I think to fix the major enemy spawning problem he should make them all tame during the day and only hostile during the night. Even if found in caves. The cave thing is what keeps me from turning on even the easy difficulty.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
Jasoco said:
Definitely. I'd love to keep livestock and have a pet slime or a de-bombed Creeper or something. Even a spider would be cool. Especially since they're tame during the day anyway.

Actually, I think to fix the major enemy spawning problem he should make them all tame during the day and only hostile during the night. Even if found in caves. The cave thing is what keeps me from turning on even the easy difficulty.

That is part of what makes the game fun! I do like the idea of the day/night cycle changing enemies behavior (like the spider). Maybe this game needs rare werewolves.... Tame (or npcs) during the day, and at night...

I think your avatar gave me the idea. :D

JRW

Snytbaggen said:
... Guys? I'm scared. I came up from my mines and found a creeper right in front of my door. I'm afraid to go out.

IMG]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/535/creeper.jpg[/IMG]

lol last time this happen to me I was able to shoot him through the door with arrows.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:

I had no idea that spiders are tame during the day. I always run out of my base and kill them all as quickly as I can. :lol

thy_

GDJustin said:
By FAR the coolest Minecraft world tour I've seen. I literally watched this entire thing:

A ton of original ideas on display, including several I intend on shamelessly stealing for my own world. MAKE SURE you watch from about 7:30 to 9 minutes. There is an epic surprise at 8:30.

:O
Liked it very much.
The church really is damn cool.

So far all my projects have been mad-scientist-hideouts.
Perhaps its time to build something a bit more habitable like the nice village here.

Vlad

ZZMitch said:
They are tame during the day, unless they were already after you during the night I believe.

They'll also go after you if you attack them. I don't know what they'll do if you just bump into them, though.

WillyFive

GDJustin said:

Makes me look like a very poor person.

DarkKyo

Finally found a whole cave of obsidian and was able to make a portal to give purpose to this fortress I've built since the update...
qmmKW.jpg

lf41a.jpg

DWszf.jpg

ohbsh.jpg

MBias.jpg

OfKyj.jpg

and when I left the nether, my second portal appeared a couple floors below!
D4MQm.jpg

L00P

A couple of minutes ago I tried visiting the Nether again. I just got out of the portal and there were like five of those ghost thingies (they're fucking huge!) bombarding me with fireballs. I tried dodging em until I realize that the land I was standing on was pretty thin. I fell down to one of the holes those fireballs made, and straight into a sea of lava. FUCK THAT SHIT:lol

epmode

So I just started the client and it downloaded what appeared to be a decently sized update. I've played since Notch fixed the items-disappearing-after-death bug so this must be something new. What did I miss?

ZZMitch

Vlad said:
They'll also go after you if you attack them. I don't know what they'll do if you just bump into them, though.

Nothing. I saw a video (I think part of X's adventures in Minecraft) where he was just bumbing a spider around it it didn't attack.

vermadas

It took me a while, but I finally have three sheltered portals in the Nether linked correctly to my spawn, my base, and my flying fortress.

After much trial and error, I discovered that the scale of Nether:Normal is not 1:16 as rumored. It's actually 1:8. I.e., if you walk 1 block in the Nether it translates to 8 blocks in the normal world. Keep in mind this only seems to be the case for the two horizontal axes. I haven't measured the vertical space in the Nether but I assume it's the same 128 size.

A couple other tips:

- Your orientation going into a portal will remain the same when you exit one.
- After spending enough time in the Nether you'll begin to recognize the sound a ghast makes when it launches a fireball at you. This is a crucial skill to have if you want to survive for longer lengths of time.
- If you have a copy of your world before visiting the Nether, you can use Cartograph in Normal Day mode to generate a map where 1 pixel = 1 block. This can be used to measure long distances easier.

Jasoco

Banned
Does anyone think Notch should make doors automatically close after a few seconds? I hate having to close them manually and every video I've seen has people stop, turn around and close the door before continuing wasting so much time. I'd much rather they close by themselves.

Anno

I've never played this game, hell I'm not even sure if I'd really find it fun, but I certainly enjoy reading about it. In some odd way it seems like the game Everquest may have been if it was a single-player game that focused less on killing monsters. Maybe that's just the graphics and the atmosphere, though.

I was watching a YouTube video of some guy digging through the Nether and with all of the crazy ass screams and sounds it was seriously one of the scariest things I've seen in a video game in some time. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for some fucked up monster to appear from a cave and beat his ass, which eventually happened :lol :lol The speed with which it was over was terrifying and definitely reminded me of an old Karnor's Castle train or something.

DarkKyo

Question: I've never done mine cart stuff before... I'm trying to start a minecart track but it's only positioning itself left to right in front of me, how do I switch its direction?

Anno said:
I've never played this game, hell I'm not even sure if I'd really find it fun, but I certainly enjoy reading about it. In some odd way it seems like the game Everquest may have been if it was a single-player game that focused less on killing monsters. Maybe that's just the graphics and the atmosphere, though.

I was watching a YouTube video of some guy digging through the Nether and with all of the crazy ass screams and sounds it was seriously one of the scariest things I've seen in a video game in some time. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for some fucked up monster to appear from a cave and beat his ass, which eventually happened :lol :lol The speed with which it was over was terrifying and definitely reminded me of an old Karnor's Castle train or something.

Come on, you want to try it.

Just think to yourself: What's your portal entry-point to the Hell dimension going to look like?

Some people have planted their obsidian gate in a volcano. Others have built ornate structures of reverence. Mine is in a glass temple under the sea, with stars hovering directly above.

Go on.

Jasoco said:
Does anyone think Notch should make doors automatically close after a few seconds? I hate having to close them manually and every video I've seen has people stop, turn around and close the door before continuing wasting so much time. I'd much rather they close by themselves.

You can make doors do this via pressure plates. If you don't have double doors you can just put a single wooden or stone pressure plate in front and behind one, and it will open and close automatically.

Oh, beaten.

Anno

Mama Robotnik said:
Come on, you want to try it.

Just think to yourself: What's your portal entry-point to the Hell dimension going to look like?

Some people have planted their obsidian gate in a volcano. Others have built ornate structures of reverence. Mine is in a glass temple under the sea, with stars hovering directly above.

Go on.

Oh, I'm sure I will get it eventually, probably once this shitty quarter of school is over. Mostly just to support the guy, though. I'm pretty much the opposite of anyone with a good enough imagination to make up some of the stuff I've seen in this crazy game.

Anno said:
Oh, I'm sure I will get it eventually, probably once this shitty quarter of school is over. Mostly just to support the guy, though. I'm pretty much the opposite of anyone with a good enough imagination to make up some of the stuff I've seen in this crazy game.

The genius of this game, the reason I'd argue its one of the most important games in a decade, is that it really allows you to play it as you like.

Some people use it to build ornate Starships.

Some people play it as a survival horror, exploring deep dark caverns for minerals and stumbling on a nest of giant spiders for example.

I'm playing it like I'm trying to control the world and bring order to chaos. Fences surround chasms, glass tunnels link continents through the air, and each Obsidian Gate is housed in an entry dome, with supplies and tools to allow safe exploration of the alien continent I've just arrived on.

Imagination is only a part of it.

Anno

Mama Robotnik said:
The genius of this game, the reason I'd argue its one of the most important games in a decade, is that it really allows you to play it as you like.

Some people use it to build ornate Starships.

Some people play it as a survival horror, exploring deep dark caverns for minerals and stumbling on a nest of giant spiders for example.

I'm playing it like I'm trying to control the world and bring order to chaos. Fences surround chasms, glass tunnels link continents through the air, and each Obsidian Gate is housed in an entry dome, with supplies and tools to allow safe exploration of the alien continent I've just arrived on.

Imagination is only a part of it.

That definitely sounds pretty cool. I really am excited to see where this game goes. I can only see if becoming more often now that Notch has some backup. Hopefully he keeps his head on straight and remember what got him to where he is.

Today I built my first portal. Figured I'd show you guys my first views from the portal:

fk7bec.jpg

2ahh5xw.jpg

Please take note of where my portal appeared in the nether world, It should be pretty obvious.. One wrong step when I had entered...

35n7z28.jpg

So. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom