• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, fuck this. I'm loving the game, but the spawn rate on both friendlies and monsters are out of control. Friendlies because it looks stupid with 10+ cows appearing every morning and monsters because I have to fend off four or five creepers outside my door CONSTANTLY.

I'm not going to play again until it's fixed, and I'm glad Notch thinks it sucks as well.

r1chard

FoxHimself said:
Okay, fuck this. I'm loving the game, but the spawn rate on both friendlies and monsters are out of control. Friendlies because it looks stupid with 10+ cows appearing every morning and monsters because I have to fend off four or five creepers outside my door CONSTANTLY.
I am having fun with all the dynamite I'm making ;-)

Jasoco

Banned
Whoa. Found my first monster spawner dungeon. But since I'm on Peaceful I don't know what it spawns. But whoo! Also, my map is the most amazing thing to explore. It has deserts and plains and mountain ranges (Found the perfect place for my castle.) and forrests and snow. It's amazing. Of course it's probably amazing for everyone but damn this is nice.

I decided to explore off in the distance from my mountain home to be and found a cave that just keeps going deeper and deeper. I'm determined to find some lava and make me some Obsidian to go to the Nether.

Gonna mine the entire dungeon and take these mossy cobblestones home. Wish Notch would do what he was planning and make it so moss gradually grows on cobblestone over time, but slowly. So it gives buildings you built with it age. Maybe make it only do it if there's mossy stone touching it in the first place. Like how grass works.

Well, off to go deeper.

Also, Minutor is irreplaceable for me. It gives me a map of my world super fast and lets me view all 128 levels of the map so I can view all the way from the sky to the bottom. I know it's kind of cheating, but at least I'm still mining the stuff instead of spawning it. It just keeps me from mining in empty places. Also lets me find my way and where I am. I will place torch patterns where I am standing when I am exploring then view the map and slowly go through the world layers to find my pattern and determine what direction I am facing and where I should go next. It's really nice. It's not for final screenshots like Cartographer. It's more for figuring out where stuff is.

Edit: Holy shit. I just floated down a mine shaft on a nice water stream into a huge cavern with lava, diamond and red stone. Fuck I love this game.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Can pumpkins spawn in Pre-biomes land?

Edit: HOLY SHIT. JACKPOT.

KSRvOl.jpg

YyiDYl.jpg

uF7TEl.jpg

13 pumpkins.

Spawning bug or has this happened to others? last 2 pumpkins i found were solo.

Sciz

Metalic Sand said:
Spawning bug or has this happened to others? last 2 pumpkins i found were solo.
The one and only spawn I've found so far was a patch of eight. Thirteen seems plausible.

Dragmire

I've mainly been working on a single world since July that has a network of sky rails that let you travel around the world, and a lot of awesome towers along the rail system. But I started a couple of new worlds to check out the biomes and got a desert one. I always wanted deserts like this in the game, so I'm glad the biomes can allow for stuff like this.

uri9z.jpg

This is the spawn point:
35ji2rp.jpg

As the last pic shows, the world generation still allows for some neat formations in addition to the (much needed) flatlands:
dtked.jpg

BooJoh

Dragmire said:
I've mainly been working on a single world since July that has a network of sky rails that let you travel around the world, and a lot of awesome towers along the rail system. But I started a couple of new worlds to check out the biomes and got a desert one. I always wanted deserts like this in the game, so I'm glad the biomes can allow for stuff like this.
I get edgy exploring desert biomes because there's a much higher chance of running across a sand pitfall. Even in those screens are several sand traps waiting to be tripped.

Spawn rates need to be adjusted. Rather, I don't mind all the spawns, but Creepers are everywhere and I can't step outside my door in daylight without needing to worry about them appearing. Make them docile during the day unless provoked similar to spiders.

If the Creepers are going to be this numerous, we should be allowed to build button-activated trap doors.

I want to send things descending into a pit of lava.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i finally decided its time for me to go to the nether so i packed up some equipment. First thing i see when loading in is a ghast facing me down. Pull out my bow and arrows and start firing like a machine gun.

Found out ghast blast = Deflectable. Shoot your arrow at the blast :D

Brashnir

Metalic Sand said:
So i finally decided its time for me to go to the nether so i packed up some equipment. First thing i see when loading in is a ghast facing me down. Pull out my bow and arrows and start firing like a machine gun.

Found out ghast blast = Deflectable. Shoot your arrow at the blast :D

Can just punch the blasts, too.

Jasoco

Banned
Minecraft needs birds.

And not flightless ones. Real ones that fly in the sky, perch on the trees, fly away when you come near them. Even if we won't ever get flying machines, it'd be nice to have something up there.

And visible fish in the water. All kinds of sizes. Small ones that live in shallow water. Large ones in the oceans. Maybe even some that come to the surface and blow water out their blowholes.

Come to think of it, I'm still hoping for actual oceans eventually.

Any way to transfer a save between a Mac and a Windows 7 machine? I have this awesome world on my macbook and I want to get it onto my PC to play when I am at home.

Halp.

Ferga

Started a new world today with a snowy rain forest

Built a little wooden house and went exploring for pumpkins.

Found 20 pumpkins in around 30minutes. I then started to head back to the house only to find that I was completely lost.

Started wondering about with no compass climbing on top of mountains to see my dimly lit house.

After a hour of following a coast line (house is near the water) I saw a well lit place so i started walking to it. I found at least 50 trees burning up due to a little flow of lava from a small dirt hill. Most eerie thing i have seen while playing :lol

Yeah so it took me another hour to find my spawn again :lol So much time wasted

JRW

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I just tried this Ambient Occlusion graphic mod: Link

The difference is pretty awesome I hope it becomes a normal feature in the future, here's a before and after comparison:

Before (Stock textures, Far & Fancy settings):
No_Ambient_occlusionr.jpg

After (Stock textures, Far & Fancy settings, Ambient Occlusion mod applied):
Ambient_occlusion_enabledr.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It looks nice, but somehow it seems fundamentally wrong to put a realistic, curved based lighting model on a world that's nothing but cubes. Sorta like trying to draw a cartoon character like Bugs Bunny with realistic features. :lol

Kozak

Banned
Anyone experiencing an overload of natural caves since the update?

The new world I started had 3 natural caves stacked upon each other :|

It only seems like I'm complaining because I died..

Ferga said:
Started a new world today with a snowy rain forest

Built a little wooden house and went exploring for pumpkins.

Found 20 pumpkins in around 30minutes. I then started to head back to the house only to find that I was completely lost.

Started wondering about with no compass climbing on top of mountains to see my dimly lit house.

After a hour of following a coast line (house is near the water) I saw a well lit place so i started walking to it. I found at least 50 trees burning up due to a little flow of lava from a small dirt hill. Most eerie thing i have seen while playing :lol

Yeah so it took me another hour to find my spawn again :lol So much time wasted

You should be studying lol.

Brashnir

ZealousD said:
It looks nice, but somehow it seems fundamentally wrong to put a realistic, curved based lighting model on a world that's nothing but cubes. Sorta like trying to draw a cartoon character like Bugs Bunny with realistic features. :lol

I don't know. I think the improved lighting makes the game feel even more like it's built out of actual cubes. They have a little more substantiality to them.

I think it's a much more welcome improvement than any of the texture skins I've seen.

SToRM

Snytbaggen said:
... Guys? I'm scared. I came up from my mines and found a creeper right in front of my door. I'm afraid to go out.

creeper.jpg
You can hit the creeper through the door if you place a door the way you did.

Verdre said:
Notch thinks it sucks, too.
Good news indeed, but after that he posted the following things:
I liked the idea of making torches give off less light the deeper you are.
Some way of making it clear whether an area is safe or not is needed, though.

Brashnir

SToRM said:
Good news indeed, but after that he posted the following things:

All of his ideas regarding torches are terrible.

Maybe if he combined the two torch ideas, "Torches go out after a while and have to be re-lit" and "torches give off less light in some circumstances" and arrived at "torches give off less light after they've been lit a while and have to be re-lit to get 100% light again" I'd be on board.

r1chard

For a lark I thought I'd mine around some minerals for a bit, and ended up with this lot, standing about about 10 blocks from the bottom:
minerals-to-mine.png

It actually goes up a bit but I got bored clearing the area out (I just kept digging 2 blocks out from the last found ore).

So then I went exploring to see my new world. I found desert, snowy mountains, more desert, and then on the side of a hill I found this magical block:

invisiblock-1.png

So it's a block that the engine doesn't know how to render. It's just occurred to me, posting this, that it might just be a block type that isn't in the Frenden artwork I'm using (I have the latest "Halloween compatible" release, even though it still doesn't have the watch artwork).

vermadas

Pookaki said:
Any way to transfer a save between a Mac and a Windows 7 machine? I have this awesome world on my macbook and I want to get it onto my PC to play when I am at home.

Halp.

Copy your save from the following location on your Mac:
/users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves

To the following folder on your PC:
C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

AppData is a hidden folder.

I do this all the time, since I play Minecraft during downtime at work. My machine there is a Mac. I copy the save to my home PC occasionally and vice versa.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
vermadas said:
Copy your save from the following location on your Mac:
/users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves

To the following folder on your PC:
C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

AppData is a hidden folder.

I do this all the time, since I play Minecraft during downtime at work. My machine there is a Mac. I copy the save to my home PC occasionally and vice versa.

I do the same on my Windows PCs, and I do it automatically using Dropbox (also works for Macs). http://www.dropbox.com/

Using Dropbox I automatically sync all my save games to three different PCs, so I can hop on any of them to play, without any work. Just make sure you turn Dropbox off when you are playing, otherwise it will be constantly uploading your savegame changes to their server, which for me is a performance hit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, I spent like seven hours last night building my castle in my new world I generated post patch. Started from scratch, so I had to mine lots of stone, sand, and coal, then smelted like 8 stacks of cobble to get clean stone, smelted 2 stacks of sand for glass, cut down like 20 trees for logs and wood, finally got the castle finished around 1 AM.

And now, I don't like it!

I love the location, I just don't think the castle looks good there. I think I want a different theme for this base now. I am actually considering tearing it all down and building something more like a collection of buildings or bunkers connected by short tunnels or halls partially sunken in the ground, with a wall surrounding the perimeter to keep the nasties at bay. Think Skywalker Ranch in A New Hope. And I think I'll put small windows in the wall to kill creepers in the morning after the sun kills the rest of the mobs.

Damnit, all of that clean stone and glass is going to be wasted. Wish I could salvage it somehow. Wish I could just let the castle be and get to the mining part of minecraft, but NNNOOOOOOO, I'm going to rip it all down and do it all over again. I'm going to need more sand. And coal...

This game brings out the best and the worst of my gaming side. DAMNIT!! :D

Almost can't believe I'm doing this, but here's the view from my front door:

Sunset.jpg

I'm really into dirt, trees, and glass. Trying to make things organic, not symmetrical.

Edit: It's been a long time since I've posted a pic on GAF. I think I did it wrong.

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:
So, I spent like seven hours last night building my castle in my new world I generated post patch. Started from scratch, so I had to mine lots of stone, sand, and coal, then smelted like 8 stacks of cobble to get clean stone, smelted 2 stacks of sand for glass, cut down like 20 trees for logs and wood, finally got the castle finished around 1 AM.

And now, I don't like it!
Just leave it there but make it look like it's an abandoned ruined castle. Then build a new one elsewhere and make a path past the old one for some scenery.

Built my first portal to the Nether in my new world!!!! Hooray!!!!!!

Of course, it's at the bottom of a hill, and there is a lava stream pouring -through- it, so now I die if I try to portal in. FACK

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jasoco said:
Just leave it there but make it look like it's an abandoned ruined castle. Then build a new one elsewhere and make a path past the old one for some scenery.

Nah, I like the real estate it's on. Cool idea though.

I'm sitting here at work anxiously awaiting when it's time to go home and start the destruction and reconstruction. This game has me by the balls.

Mama Robotnik said:
Woah. That's really nice.

I'm trying to keep playing as is, but screenshots like that are tempting, if only to explore the style.

Do it. Texture packs make the game so much more fun. Its like rediscovering your world. Its almost like playing a new game.

Vorador

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Do it. Texture packs make the game so much more fun. Its like rediscovering your world. Its almost like playing a new game.

I hope junkboy releases some official texture packs :D

Bread

Banned
i love all these texture packs, after playing with the default textures for hours upon hours, it's a nice change of pace to switch to misa's realistic pack, it looks so good

IceMarker

Horsebite said:
I can't tell the difference between Ambient Occlusion being on and off? What am I missing? Am I blind?
I just installed it, very subtle effect, but is very nice. Along with a texture pack this makes me want to romp through all of my worlds again!

owlbeak

MrMister said:
I just installed it, very subtle effect, but is very nice. Along with a texture pack this makes me want to romp through all of my worlds again!
I also just installed it. I can totally see the difference while playing. Screenshots don't really show it off very well apparently. Very cool!

iammeiam

Just to make sure I'm not missing an obvious game mechanic: I pretty much need access to a diamond pickaxe in order to use the Nether for fast-travel to new lands in a meaningful way, right?

I have an absolutely insane amount of obsidian blocks in a mine under my base, but no way to mine them out. I've made a portal by making a mold and forming obsidian in the shape of a portal, but there's no apparent way to do that in the nether since water doesn't work.

I really just want to bust out of my more heavily-explored areas and hit some map sections that will generate biomes, but unless/until I can find me some diamond it doesn't look like the nether will be much help there.

MNC

iammeiam said:
Just to make sure I'm not missing an obvious game mechanic: I pretty much need access to a diamond pickaxe in order to use the Nether for fast-travel to new lands in a meaningful way, right?

I have an absolutely insane amount of obsidian blocks in a mine under my base, but no way to mine them out. I've made a portal by making a mold and forming obsidian in the shape of a portal, but there's no apparent way to do that in the nether since water doesn't work.

I really just want to bust out of my more heavily-explored areas and hit some map sections that will generate biomes, but unless/until I can find me some diamond it doesn't look like the nether will be much help there.
That's pretty clever. You mean you hollowed out existing obsidian in the form of a portal? I'm having the same troubles as you though; no diamond in sight. Found a bit of gold though; but I died by a zombie spawner.

JRW

Dragmire said:
As the last pic shows, the world generation still allows for some neat formations in addition to the (much needed) flatlands:
dtked.jpg

I came across this as I was exploring my most recent world and thought it was weird & neat at the same time:
javaw%202010-11-03%2013-12-11-55r.jpg

Sciz

iammeiam said:

Correct on all counts.

Horsebite said:
I also just installed it. I can totally see the difference while playing. Screenshots don't really show it off very well apparently. Very cool!

Someone needs to take before and after shots of Vlad's hole. Caves make the effect very noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom