• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
did a new world and it's amazing. just from my starting place I can see about half a dozen different cave openings and a treasure chest. Dug up a single block of sand and there was a monster spawner under it. Glad I'm playing on peaceful!

webrunner

Minecraft makes me sad.. i've always loved the ideas of these large-system games, but I've never been able to get into them. Either they're too frustrating like Dwarf Fortress, or I end up in an unfun cycle like in Civilization, or I just lose interest. I absolutely love hearing people's stories about it, and I'm so tempted to buy it, but I keep remembering that I doubt I'll actually do anything with the game.

I guess I'm just not a sandbox guy?

Travado

The trees, precious things, so much life, so much beauty.

2010-11-03_173325.png

Philthy

webrunner said:
Minecraft makes me sad.. i've always loved the ideas of these large-system games, but I've never been able to get into them. Either they're too frustrating like Dwarf Fortress, or I end up in an unfun cycle like in Civilization, or I just lose interest. I absolutely love hearing people's stories about it, and I'm so tempted to buy it, but I keep remembering that I doubt I'll actually do anything with the game.

Just grab it and go online. You can help people out, wander around and do nothing, or dig a big freaking hole in the ground and call it your own.

Bison11

Anyone else get pissed when they spawn in a forest with a crapload of trees? You cant see anything and it is a pain to even walk around. Uhh...I am going pumkin hunting.

Jasoco

Banned
The Occlusion mod looks nice, but the patcher won't work on my Mac. It gets stuck at 7%. I force quit it, but would have liked to try it.

I found a really nice deep cave but was having problems with monsters spawning, so I dug straight up, in a giant chimney all the way to the surface. Those fuckers can deal with the sunlight now. However, it made me wish there was a "door" equivalent for the floor. That way if I wanted monsters to spawn I could have the door closed, then with a press of a button it would open allowing sunlight in.

I guess that's no different than if he implemented some kind of "trap door" for us. But I think it would be fucking cool.

webrunner said:

Check back in a few months and see how development's going. One of his eventual goals is to add some sense of direction for the large number of potential customers who dont want a total sandbox game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The trick to enjoying minecraft is to just build. The trap cycle I get caught in is that I'll want something to be just perfect / epic every time.

Like, let's say there is a valley between two peaks I need to build a bridge over. I'll want the bridge to be "OMG AMAZING" and be made out of smooth stone, or glass with lava... something like that.

So I spend forever not building it because I'm waiting for the right materials, or for the perfect inspiration for my badass bridge, etc. All the while taking the long away around between the two peaks, lowering my fun factor each time I make the journey.

Another example is coming across a really cool area - peaks, valleys, waterfalls, etc. Just a neat spot. I'll want to develop it / build it up, but not really have a firm idea of what specifically to do

I get paralyzed by inactivity, basically.

The key is to just START LAYING BLOCKS. Build a wall. Then another. Then a hole. Then a tower. Don't have a plan. Before you know it you'll be realizing you can connect these two walls to make a neat courtyard (or whatever). You'll make a man-made lake. Etc.

If you just start laying blocks, it's like the mind is freed. You start to see shapes in them, and before you know if you've spent 3+ hours shaping the region. There's nothing wrong with having a detailed plan... this advice is just for people like me, that are worried about doing the "wrong" thing.

Just remember two things:

1) Nothing you do in Minecraft is permanent. DON'T hesitate to build the bridge! Put up something crude. When you have a better idea, tear it down.

2) If you DO fuck something big up (like my lava tower epic fail from a few pages back), just pack your shit up and walk for ~3 minutes in a random direction and start over. There is no shortage of space!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Is there anything special i can acquire in the nether besides light dust to make light blocks?

I set up a base there yesterday. My portal spawned me on a floating island connected to nothing so i had to slowly build a cobblestone bridge while being shot at :lol

owlbeak

Vlad said:
Ok, that definitely makes the effect more noticable. I also couldn't see a difference in the earlier shots. I'll have to check that out at some point.
Same here, I couldn't tell. It looks awesome though. Your pit is magnificent with ambient occlusion! :lol

Rokk

Neo Member
While not as amazing as some of the natural formations people have posted, I thought it was pretty rad finding a symmetrical chamber type place like 40 blocks down :D.

9zpw5s.jpg

Rokk said:
While not as amazing as some of the natural formations people have posted, I thought it was pretty rad finding a symmetrical chamber type place like 40 blocks down :D.

http://i56.tinypic.com/9zpw5s.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Those are actually somewhat common. And i could be wrong, but i think it means there is a dungeon nearby/in that cave.

JRW

Jasoco said:
The Occlusion mod looks nice, but the patcher won't work on my Mac. It gets stuck at 7%. I force quit it, but would have liked to try it.

Ya he mentioned fixing mac support in the next update but you might look through the official thread for workarounds.

"by MrMessiah » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi all, thanks for the comments - glad you like the mod. Just to update I see I have flat out broken the patcher on Macs for which I apologise. I will fix it in the next release so that it looks in the right folder for the mod directory.
"

Mike M

Nick N
Bison11 said:
Anyone else get pissed when they spawn in a forest with a crapload of trees? You cant see anything and it is a pain to even walk around. Uhh...I am going pumkin hunting.
I've never spawned anywhere but a beach near the shore. I was actually wondering if the game even allowed other places to spawn...

Jasoco

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Is there anything special i can acquire in the nether besides light dust to make light blocks?
9 of the light block dust will make one block. Sucks, as I'd rather have it just let me keep the block, or use less to make a new block, but I assume he plans on using that dust for other things so that's cool. Still would love to regain a whole block from less of them.

Setvan2734 said:
Those are actually somewhat common. And i could be wrong, but i think it means there is a dungeon nearby/in that cave.
Yeah. I've seen many spherical chambers. It's interesting though.

edgefusion

I'm using a unibody MacBook Pro to play but I'm finding it gets pretty hot and the fans wind up to max not long after launching the app. If I install it over in boot camp (Windows 7) will I get better performance?

webrunner

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what people see in the game. I just can't enjoy it on that level.

It's not that I'm not a creative person, I have a webcomic and DM D&D without using pre-published adventures, but give me something like Minecraft, and i say "This is fucking amazing" then shut it down forever.

r1chard

r1chard said:
So it's a block that the engine doesn't know how to render. It's just occurred to me, posting this, that it might just be a block type that isn't in the Frenden artwork I'm using (I have the latest "Halloween compatible" release, even though it still doesn't have the watch artwork).
User error - Frenden's is fine, and in fact V3 has some improvements in some of the textures. A great replacement set.

Jasoco

Banned
edgefusion said:
I'm using a unibody MacBook Pro to play but I'm finding it gets pretty hot and the fans wind up to max not long after launching the app. If I install it over in boot camp (Windows 7) will I get better performance?
I would try it out and see. No harm done. I have a MBP too but I don't get any of those problems. What's your model? Year, make, how much RAM do you have, etc...

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
edgefusion said:

Most likely you would. I really dont think it would save your fans from spinning up though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jasoco said:
9 of the light block dust will make one block. Sucks, as I'd rather have it just let me keep the block, or use less to make a new block, but I assume he plans on using that dust for other things so that's cool. Still would love to regain a whole block from less of them.

If I had to guess, I imagine that the lighstone dust will be used to make laterns. He did mention that making them might require a trip to the Nether.

GDJustin

The lightstone dust emitting bright light and the red cobblestone (I've been calling it Brimstone) burning forever are pretty darn strong hints that they will be required for making lanterns.

I mean, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that a new material that burns forever will be used in the recipe for lanterns that... burn forever. :lol

I just hope the recipe isn't too crazy. Maybe 1 stick + 1 brimstone + 1 lightstone.

edgefusion

Jasoco said:
I would try it out and see. No harm done. I have a MBP too but I don't get any of those problems. What's your model? Year, make, how much RAM do you have, etc...

It's an early 2009 model, just before they added in the SD slot and upgraded battery, 2GB ram. I've been wondering if there's actually something wrong with it for a long time but I can't quite put my finger on what it might be. Performance-wise Minecraft runs fine (apart from the occasional hiccup) as long as I don't put the draw distance up to max.

I'll give boot camp a try tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hadn't seen it shown off here, but here's the Dwarf City that people have put together on the TouchMyBox server. Couple days old, though.

DwarfCity.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
edgefusion said:
It's an early 2009 model, just before they added in the SD slot and upgraded battery, 2GB ram. I've been wondering if there's actually something wrong with it for a long time but I can't quite put my finger on what it might be. Performance-wise Minecraft runs fine (apart from the occasional hiccup) as long as I don't put the draw distance up to max.

I'll give boot camp a try tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.
I can't even put it to max with 4GB RAM. It's probably just Java crappiness on OS X. If Flash can be crappy on OS X, why can't Java too? If I set to Normal it's fine and dandy but still has a hiccup occasionally. I also have to set it to Fast graphics sadly. I am going to upgrade to 8GB RAM but don't really think that'll make a difference for MC. It's probably just the video card.

Let me know if it works better in Windows. Then we'll know it's Java on OS X. Kinda wish he'd port it to C++ or C# or something else. Especially if he ever plans on putting it on other devices.

GDJustin

I have a very old (early 2006) Macbook Pro and I can run on Normal just fine. My machine does get quite hot, but I'm used to it running hot pretty much any time it is computing anything.

Been testing out a bunch of texture packs today, and I've got to say that I think the Brown & Bloom pack is the definitely my favourite - it looks downright beautiful at times (althought Portals don't appear properly at the moment);

2010-11-02_153459.png

2010-11-02_153826.png

2010-11-02_173914.png

2010-11-03_083052.png

2010-11-03_120916.png

Lonestar said:
Hadn't seen it shown off here, but here's the Dwarf City that people have put together on the TouchMyBox server. Couple days old, though.
That's just too good to be true!

How long by how many?

So ever since the introduction of the super awesome lighting data loop bug introduced this past weekend, anytime I try to play minecraft my laptop gets really hot and then decide to hibernate. (Presumably reaching the emergency temp set in the BIOS)

I've tried setting affinity for the java process to use only one core, but it doesn't seem to change the CPU usage while playing the game at all. I've also noticed that the CPU usage is only hanging out around 15%-20% whether I set it to use all "7" cores or just one of them. Yet I still get this problem where the computer presumably decides it needs a break whenever I try to play Minecraft for more than 30 minutes or an hour.

Minecraft runs terrible on my computer if I'm using anything other than the standard texture pack. I'm not particularly sure why either.

It actually runs perfectly smoothly, but for some reason since the halloween update it's been making my computer freak out and shut itself down.

Jasoco

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
It actually runs perfectly smoothly, but for some reason since the halloween update it's been making my computer freak out and shut itself down.
Shutting down is usually a sign of overheating. Are your fans still running like they should? That's not normal. Shutting down is a safety feature designed to prevent the chip from becoming burned out. If it's getting that hot, the cooling fans are not doing their job.

It's how my last laptop did itself in.

Jasoco said:
Shutting down is usually a sign of overheating. Are your fans still running like they should? That's not normal. Shutting down is a safety feature designed to prevent the chip from becoming burned out. If it's getting that hot, the cooling fans are not doing their job.

It's how my last laptop did itself in.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was saying and it's why I'm not going to play Minecraft until this gets fixed.

I really don't want to send this in to ASUS. They make great products but I've heard some bad things about their customer service/repair people, though admittedly that could just be anecdotal crap that doesn't indicate the big picture.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. You never know with computers. One part might seem to be broken, but it might end up being some totally different part.

Good luck. Hope it doesn't cost you too much.

can anyone tell me how to get cartographer to find my multiplayer map? It can only see my sp maps, and on a related topic, I have no idea where my minecraft is storing those on my comp. I literally have a minecraft.exe link and that's it. Can't find where the SP maps are kept on my comp. Fail I know, but any help would be appreciated.

epmode

elrechazao said:
can anyone tell me how to get cartographer to find my multiplayer map? It can only see my sp maps, and on a related topic, I have no idea where my minecraft is storing those on my comp. I literally have a minecraft.exe link and that's it. Can't find where the SP maps are kept on my comp. Fail I know, but any help would be appreciated.
It's somewhere in your documents folder. Changes based on operating system.

Try searching for ".minecraft" without the quotes

Jasoco

Banned
elrechazao said:

OS X:
/users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves

Windows 7:
C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

AppData is hidden. Type the path in the address bar to open it without turning hidden files on.

GDJustin

I know "I found an epic cave" stories are very cliche at this point, but tonight... I found an epic cave :lol

Just look at the crazy lavafall I found at the end:

DESRq.png

The only thing I haven't found (yet) is diamond. Dungeons, and every other precious mineral are very present.

jdavid459

Hey, so I just bought the game and I'm lost. It seems like the only difference from buying it is the single player mode where I get less stuff than the basic free one. I know you have to collect stuff to make things but why bother when you have everything unlocked at the start? If I just like to make things, should I have just stuck with the free version? What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom