• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

jdavid459 said:
Hey, so I just bought the game and I'm lost. It seems like the only difference from buying it is the single player mode where I get less stuff than the basic free one. I know you have to collect stuff to make things but why bother when you have everything unlocked at the start? If I just like to make things, should I have just stuck with the free version? What am I missing?
Paid Minecraft is Roguelike Lego DOOM.

Free Minecraft is just Lego.

Aaron

I'm having a real hard time finding lava in my world. I've done a ton of cave diving, but nothing down there but the too friendly monsters. I'm never going to get to hell at this rate. :(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting this error whenever I try to install Misa's texture pack -

24qv8u8.png

All you do is copy over the files to Minecraft.jar, right? The game starts fine up to the point that I put in my name/password, but it hangs on the logo and I get that message before it reaches the main menu.

jdavid459 said:
Hey, so I just bought the game and I'm lost. It seems like the only difference from buying it is the single player mode where I get less stuff than the basic free one. I know you have to collect stuff to make things but why bother when you have everything unlocked at the start? If I just like to make things, should I have just stuck with the free version? What am I missing?
Are you on peaceful mode? One of the big things about survival vs. classic is the tension from having the monsters. around in caves/at night. Monster spawning is unbalanced from the last update so its annoying right now, but it adds a lot for most players when there are obstacles. Likewise, people seem to on average get less bored when they have to work for their resources, it's kind of weird. If you really really dont get any enjoyment out of exploration or resource gathering, come check back when monsters get re-balanced and see if that works for you. Other than that, check in as updates are applied to see if he adds any new elements that grab you. If you absolutely only enjoy building huge structures and dont care about anything else you'll probably have more fun in classic for the time being.

Jasoco

Banned
So I created a portal to the Nether, then another one out somewhere else and ended up in a cave. So I dug my way to the surface and figured out where I was. Then I started walking... but I misread the setting moon and direction somehow and got turned around and ended up walking onto a frozen lake and found some clay sticking out of a mound of sand that I THOUGHT was an island. I started digging it up and discovered it was way more than I thought. But then I accidentally hit the sand and the whole thing sunk into the water creating a crater in the water with clay floating above it. I dug all the clay and collected most if not all of what I could find in the water (It's dark down there) and have over 600 pieces of clay from this one area. Holy crap.

The sand was floating at the top of the water suspended in the ice and clay. When I disturbed it, it all sunk into the water. So awesome. I'm finding more floating sand since the update. And a lot more clay apparently.

r1chard

Jasoco said:
And a lot more clay apparently.
I'm finding more clay too - but then I've also noticed way more sandy beach (where clay normally appears). I've yet to find a coast that doesn't have a sandy beach.

Brashnir

elrechazao said:
can anyone tell me how to get cartographer to find my multiplayer map? It can only see my sp maps, and on a related topic, I have no idea where my minecraft is storing those on my comp. I literally have a minecraft.exe link and that's it. Can't find where the SP maps are kept on my comp. Fail I know, but any help would be appreciated.

Click the custom button and paste the path to your multiplayer world in the box next to the button.

Jasoco

Banned
r1chard said:
I'm finding more clay too - but then I've also noticed way more sandy beach (where clay normally appears). I've yet to find a coast that doesn't have a sandy beach.
I've found another 600 pieces and about 3 dozen pumpkins now. Notch sure is being generous. Shame he can't won't up the spawn rate of diamonds. I've also found a hell of a lot more coal. But still only small amounts of iron. I've only found about a dozen diamonds so far.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I made a treasure room/vault tonight. One neat trick is to store excess iron, gold (and diamond if you're lucky enough) as a solid block instead of just storing it in a crate. It isn't as space-efficient, but it feels more "minecraft-y" to have a growing stack of gold blocks in the corner of my treasure room :D

For those that don't know, a solid block of an ore can be created by putting 9 of them (3x3) in the crafting window.

Jasoco

Banned
GDJustin said:
I made a treasure room/vault tonight. One neat trick is to store excess iron, gold (and diamond if you're lucky enough) as a solid block instead of just storing it in a crate. It isn't as space-efficient, but it feels more "minecraft-y" to have a growing stack of gold blocks in the corner of my treasure room :D

For those that don't know, a solid block of an ore can be created by putting 9 of them (3x3) in the crafting window.
But when you break it again do you get the block or the 9 bars you had? Not that it matters for gold since there's so little you can do with it that's useful.

Jasoco said:
But when you break it again do you get the block or the 9 bars you had? Not that it matters for gold since there's so little you can do with it that's useful.
Yeah you can craft back and forth freely. The main point of these blocks was to be storage i think since they are rare enough that you aint going to be builing huge things out of them.

GDJustin

Jasoco said:

Yes, you get the 9 ingots back when you mine the block.

Jintor

Goddamnit. Second day sitting in the dark and I can hear like 5 goddamn spiders on the other side of this brick wall.

SLURPSLURPSLURPSLURPSLURP

webrunner

Lonestar said:
Hadn't seen it shown off here, but here's the Dwarf City that people have put together on the TouchMyBox server. Couple days old, though

Ever notice how dwarves always make their mountain city ceilings so tall? It's like theyr'e overcompensating.

So can anyone help me with obsidian farming? want to go to the Nether! lol

I have an area down near the bedrock where a few patches of lava are. I tried throwing water on them but even when I break them with a pickaxe nothing comes out.

xtop

BudokaiMR2 said:

I have an area down near the bedrock where a few patches of lava are. I tried throwing water on them but even when I break them with a pickaxe nothing comes out.

you need a diamond pickaxe

Aaron

BudokaiMR2 said:

Need a diamond pickaxe.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
BudokaiMR2 said:

if you dont have a diamond pickaxe, it wont work.

alternatively, you could build a mold, fill it with lava and dump water on it block by block.

Vlad

Haunted said:
But not directly on it, you have to put the water next or above and let the flowing water hit the lava source.

?

The source block can also sit on the lava. The only source/non-source issue you have to worry about is for the lava. Source lava blocks create obsidian, flow lava blocks create cobblestone. As long as it's a source lava block, it'll turn into obsidian if it touches any water, source or no.

The thing you want to be careful of is putting water IN the lava, for lack of a better way of saying it. When I make my molds, I make the dirt layer for the lava and then I put another layer on top of that. It's easier to put the water in if you can just aim for the inside of the layer above the lava. If you've only got the mold built up to the current lava layer, then you've got to worry about water spilling over the side if you don't re-bucket it fast enough, ruining nearby torches, tracks, etc.

Luigi87

Monroeski said:
I'm getting this error whenever I try to install Misa's texture pack -

24qv8u8.png

All you do is copy over the files to Minecraft.jar, right? The game starts fine up to the point that I put in my name/password, but it hangs on the logo and I get that message before it reaches the main menu.

You need to patch the minecraft.jar file with this file then place the *.png into minecraft.jar (since the image is bigger than 16x16).

GDJustin

Vlad said:
?

The source block can also sit on the lava. The only source/non-source issue you have to worry about is for the lava. Source lava blocks create obsidian, flow lava blocks create cobblestone. As long as it's a source lava block, it'll turn into obsidian if it touches any water, source or no.

The thing you want to be careful of is putting water IN the lava, for lack of a better way of saying it. When I make my molds, I make the dirt layer for the lava and then I put another layer on top of that. It's easier to put the water in if you can just aim for the inside of the layer above the lava. If you've only got the mold built up to the current lava layer, then you've got to worry about water spilling over the side if you don't re-bucket it fast enough, ruining nearby torches, tracks, etc.

No, the source block can't sit on the lava source block.

Moving water touching unmoving lava = obsidian. And that's it - other combinations don't do it. If you were to dump a bucket of water directly on top of lava, that specific block of lava would not be turned to obsidian, because both blocks are unmoving.

So if you're making a mold for the 4X1 base of an obsidian portal that looks like this (X is the mold, O is the lava):

XXXXXX
XOOOOX
XXXXXX

If you dump the water on any of the X's it will wash over the lava and make obsidian. If you dump it ON the lava, that square will turn to stone. The others will turn to obsidian.

Vlad

GDJustin said:
No, the source block can't sit on the lava source block.

Moving water touching unmoving lava = obsidian. And that's it - other combinations don't do it. If you were to dump a bucket of water directly on top of lava, that specific block of lava would not be turned to obsidian, because both blocks are unmoving.

So if you're making a mold for the 4X1 base of an obsidian portal that looks like this (X is the mold, O is the lava):

XXXXXX
XOOOOX
XXXXXX

If you dump the water on any of the X's it will wash over the lava and make obsidian. If you dump it ON the lava, that square will turn to stone. The others will turn to obsidian.

I hate to keep going back and forth about this, but you're absolutely wrong.

Just to make sure that it didn't change in the last patch or something, I just went in and tested it out. Make a hole two deep in the ground. Dump a bucket of lava on the bottom level. There should now be a hole with one block of lava on the bottom level and a block of nothing. Take a bucket of water and right-click on one of the inside walls of the top level of the hole, placing the water source directly on top of the lava source. This will turn the lava to obsidian every time.

ZZMitch

Blog Update from Notch-

Webhallen Minecraft texture pack competition!
Webhallen is a really awesome Swedish hardware/game store that I use privately a lot. The guys running it seems to like Minecraft, and asked us if we could do a competition together, so we did!

Minecraft will very soon feature official texture pack replacement support, and the competition is to make the most awesome texture pack possible for Minecraft!

Check it out: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

First prize is a 180 GB SSD signed by me (yes, on the actual drive!) and an original painting by Kristoffer Zetterstrand, who made all the paintings in the game. The new painting will be added to the game, but you get to own the original.

The official texture pack support is coming soon. It was supposed to be part of the halloween update, but I kind of forgot.. In the meanwhile, PC Gamer wrote an excellent guide on how to install texture packs until this new support is added:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/25/how-to-install-a-minecraft-texture-pack

The competition runs until December 20 (I think..?), and is available to anyone who can receive UPS deliveries.

For further details, go here: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

ZZMitch said:
Blog Update from Notch-

Webhallen Minecraft texture pack competition!
Webhallen is a really awesome Swedish hardware/game store that I use privately a lot. The guys running it seems to like Minecraft, and asked us if we could do a competition together, so we did!

Minecraft will very soon feature official texture pack replacement support, and the competition is to make the most awesome texture pack possible for Minecraft!

Check it out: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

First prize is a 180 GB SSD signed by me (yes, on the actual drive!) and an original painting by Kristoffer Zetterstrand, who made all the paintings in the game. The new painting will be added to the game, but you get to own the original.

The official texture pack support is coming soon. It was supposed to be part of the halloween update, but I kind of forgot.. In the meanwhile, PC Gamer wrote an excellent guide on how to install texture packs until this new support is added:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/25/how-to-install-a-minecraft-texture-pack

The competition runs until December 20 (I think..?), and is available to anyone who can receive UPS deliveries.

For further details, go here: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/
thats great news :)

Jasoco

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Awesome. Thanks.

....now about that texture pack? :D
No idea, but it looks really cool. I'd be interested to try it. Though I'm really liking the one I have now. Frenden's simplistic texture pack.

taoofjord

WanderingWind said:
Seriously. Anybody know about that map/texture pack?

That texture pack looks like a modified version of JohnSmith's:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29164

Which is similar to Doku's (which I believe won't be updated anymore by the original creator):

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=73212

Don't forget to use the AWESOME ambient occlusion mod with whatever texture pack you choose!!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55700

GDJustin

Great news that official texture pack support is coming. Little details like that go a long way towards making an indie game like Minecraft feel player friendly.

I'm guessing we'll eventually have support for browsing public servers as well.

I would also guess that Mojang will eventually have some kind of "premium" MP multiplayer server service. IE if someone doesn't have the technical know-how to set up their own MP server, they can pay $X per month, and then one is automatically set up for them. Pay more to allow more connections.

Would be a very nice way for Notch to realize more revenue from Minecraft than just the $13 he's getting per user right now, without it seeming lame or like fans are being squeezed. He can just charge people whatever the cost of operating the server is, plus a little extra for profit.

Edit: He could also have a service similar to Bungie Pro. Allow users to pay a monthly fee, and they can automatically upload screenshots or short videos from within the game to the Minecraft server, for easy sharing/exporting. Again, it's all about finding ways to make money that DON'T take advantage of your players. Just allow those that want to do more the right to pay for it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
taoofjord said:
That texture pack looks like a modified version of JohnSmith's:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29164

Which is similar to Doku's (which I believe won't be updated anymore by the original creator):

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=73212

Don't forget to use the AWESOME ambient occlusion mod with whatever texture pack you choose!!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55700
this is AWESOME! :D

anyone know where i can get a mini map for mine craft?

WanderingWind said:
Looks like you have to use the whole pack though? That texture pack looks like ass...

No, the texture pack shown in the screenshots isn't included - the only things included are the SimpleMap mini-map, the Ambient Occlusion mod and some mod that improves the chat functionality. Also, the patcher lets you pick and choose which of the mods to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom