• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I had a diamond axe before. I thought I never saw anything pop out but I think the lava was just flowing in and destroying the obsidian before i saw it.

I ended up accidentally digging a hole under myself and falling into the lava. Lost my only diamond pickaxe as a result :(

Oh well the nether will have to wait until I find more diamond. I have horrible luck with that stuff.

Bread

Banned
I love how I can re-roll my maps and this game just never gets old, I found a huuuuuuge cave system and got lost for about an hour, finding my way out is always a problem. How do you guys keep track of where you are in cave systems?

Bread said:
I love how I can re-roll my maps and this game just never gets old, I found a huuuuuuge cave system and got lost for about an hour, finding my way out is always a problem. How do you guys keep track of where you are in cave systems?

Sometimes I'm able to keep a fairly good feel of where I am in a cave, especially in one that I dive into a lot. If I can't though, I'll just dig myself a stairway out from where ever I am and find my way back home. In one of my old words, I have tons of holes poked out from the ground from where I'd dig myself out from a huge cave and make my way back home. With the watch its perfect cause I can time my spelunking with the rising sun.
Speaking of which,the watch is my favorite addition to the game. The nether is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the watch is SO GOOD. It makes things so much easier. It divides the game up into gathering/mining during the night, and building during the day, without any guess work involved.

Rokk

Neo Member
Bread said:

I think a couple pages ago someone mentioned that they put all of their torches primarily on the right hand side while they're exploring a cave and that way all you need to do is make sure the torches are on your left when you're running out.

I've started doing that and it is genius for not getting lost in caves. Couple that with setting up new base camps every 15-20 minutes (if you're in a gigantic cave) and you shouldn't have much of a problem finding your way out / back to where you were previously.

SToRM

GDJustin said:
Yeah. That plus the tree leaves not going away are major annoyances. This is why people shouldn't pressure notch for updates! Let him go at his own pace. When he gets pressured, bugs are introduced.
Tree leaves will go away if they are not connected to anything else.

SToRM said:

NOPE! Sometimes it seems like they do, other times they won't. I have plenty of floating tree tops around with nothing connected to them.
I stay away from big huge mega trees for this reason.

Bread

Banned
Rokk said:
I think a couple pages ago someone mentioned that they put all of their torches primarily on the right hand side while they're exploring a cave and that way all you need to do is make sure the torches are on your left when you're running out.

I've started doing that and it is genius for not getting lost in caves. Couple that with setting up new base camps every 15-20 minutes (if you're in a gigantic cave) and you shouldn't have much of a problem finding your way out / back to where you were previously.
Good idea, I'll definitely try this for now on.

Are they diagonally/corner connected to anything, including dirt/grass? Were they big trees that might still have a piece of trunk inside the leaves somewhere?

I have never had leaves stay there that shouldn't have. Never. And I've played this game a lot.

Brashnir

HappyBivouac said:
Are they diagonally/corner connected to anything, including dirt/grass? Were they big trees that might still have a piece of trunk inside the leaves somewhere?

I have never had leaves stay there that shouldn't have. Never. And I've played this game a lot.

Leaves don't despawn at all in multiplayer since the update. I left a single leaf block in the air for 6 in-game days and it didn't go anywhere. Makes tree farming a massive pain.

Jasoco

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Okay this has been bugging me for a really long time:

Why is it that the creators of every minecraft mapping program have conspired to make it so that in minecraft world the sun sets in the south? It messes with my head and stuff!
Not Minutor.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
SToRM said:

No... that's what I'm saying. The newest update introduced a bug that stopped this from happening. Now all tree leaves remain unless they are manually removed.

Edit: Also been having some epic crashes the last few nights, too. I've taken to saving my world much more often, and even backing up my saves :/

Had a weird crash just now. It crashed my whole computer, and when I rebooted my game HAD saved, despite me never hitting the esc key to save it. I'm still in the cave I was in, with my inventory. BUT... none of the torches I placed are there anymore, and everything I had mined out is back. It seems only my gained inventory and position was saved. So:

Pro: Get to re-mine all the iron I found! Double minerals yay.
Con: I'm now in the middle of a pitch-black cave with no torches to help me find my way out. :lol

Locke562

SToRM said:
I hope notch fixes the 'bug' where you use the item in your hand if you open a door or a chest. Too many times I've eaten ham or shot an arrow when I just want to open a door. I've even read stories about people setting fire to their home, because they had a bucket of lava selected when opening a door... :lol

I destroyed my rare ore chest because I was going to stick a bucket of lava in a furnace. Luckily I had just backed up my save.

Log4Girlz

Jasoco said:
I hope Notch fixes the portal misfire soon.

In my world I create Portal A. I enter it, it takes me to Portal 1 in the Nether. Then I come back out and it takes me to a new Portal B about a hundred meters from Portal A. So I destroy B and go through A again and come back. Now I have Portal C RIGHT NEXT TO Portal B. So I go back into A and come back out and now I have Portal D even CLOSER to B than C was. So for the fuck of it I have now created Portal's E, F, G and H. And I can't stop! Every time I destroy one, another one is created giving me 14 more Obsidian for free without having to touch any Lava. It's addictive! If only it didn't take so fucking long to mine a single block of Obsidian. Ugh.. 16 seconds feels like forever! :lol

551qhz.jpg

How about you stfu and make a huge castle from obsidian lol ;)

Krelian

Does anybody else use Minecraft Overviewer? My latest maps generated with it all turned out gray where there's supposed to be green grass :( It looked like the gray area spread gradually from the center outwards. I don't think it's related to the Nether because it's a multiplayer map, but then again I don't know for sure.

EDIT: Alright, looks like it's a known problem because the grass texture is now grayscale and a tint is applied later since the halloween update.

New update is out.

Minecraft Alpha 1.2.1, Minecraft Server 0.2.3

The server update is not mandatory, but you might want to update just to make sure.

This is a bugfixes only update:

* Signs on the sides of cacti no longer crash the game
* The player won’t get stuck on the top of the world in multiplayer
* Reverted mob spawning back to the old code, it was far to annoying. I have plans on what to do with this.
* Fixed the leaf particle colors
* Reduced CPU usage for monster spawning, but there’s still a lot of work to be done to reduce lag on SMP servers.
* Attempted to fix the portal dupe bug where you could exit through a different (new) one than the one you entered through.

About the portals, it’s possible that two portals can lead to the same portal in the Nether. This is because the space down there is compressed by a factor of 8, and I haven’t come up with a good way to fix this yet.
I might just end up doing an explicit one-to-one binding between portal pairs, but that’s nontrivial as it should survive the portal being temporarily destroyed. If you TNT a portal then rebuild it, you’d expect it to still lead to the same place, right?

Hmm.

More bug updates are coming next week, mainly related to survival mode multi player.

Haha I wish I could have videotaped my last death.

I decided to head in a new direction from my base by boat. Not too far down I find what i thought was a waterfall that ended up being try on the inside so I landed with a bounce. It might have been the entrance to a cave system but I didn't live long enough to find out. I accidentally placed a torch on a sand block(doh!) and it caused a chain reaction where god knows how many sand blocks crushed me to death. It took a long time to die.

SToRM said:
I hope notch fixes the 'bug' where you use the item in your hand if you open a door or a chest. Too many times I've eaten ham or shot an arrow when I just want to open a door. I've even read stories about people setting fire to their home, because they had a bucket of lava selected when opening a door... :lol

I did that yesterday. Twice.

I hadn't played since before the Halloween update. After reading about the monsters now spawning at deeper levels even in what was considered "light enough" areas before the update, I decided to take a break from Fallout: NV for a while and check out my main mineshaft to see if it was going to need re-torching.

So, I'm at the bottom of my mine which opens out to a large chamber, and has a fair sized lava pool at one side of it. Checked out the contents of my containers and see there's a bucket of water in one, so I decide to make some obsidian while I'm there. I'm mining away and I here a zombie, so I go round to the other side of the chamber and sure enough, a zombie ... or 3. Ok, I dispatch those, then I'm thinking to myself "Ok, I'm going to need to sort this out, so I'll start with making a lava moat to block off the area that I usually make my obsidian".

I've still got the water bucket, so I fill it with lava, then think "Hmm .. I'll pop upstairs to my base and get some more arrows before getting into this, so I'll leave this bucket in this container for now"

ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH .. Game Over!

"What the fuck! Did I spill the bucket or something? Maybe you can't store buckets of lava in containers now?"

So I respawn, and of course it's the middle of the night. However, one thing I'd never got around to doing before the update was to fortify/protect my spawn point ...

TWANG TWANG BITE BITE ARGH ... Game Over!

"Oh for fucks sake! Right, I'll leave it for a few minutes"

So a few minutes later I respawn and it's daylight! My list of stuff to do now includes surrounding my spawn point with a bunker. That bunker will contain weapons, armour and supplies, and will link to my main network of tunnels. But first, I have other work to do!

I head back down to grab the stuff I dropped from my first death, and run into a spider half way down. Luckily I'd picked up a pickaxe before heading down, so I get a piece of string for my trouble at least.

When I get to the bottom, most of my stuff is still there thankfully. The only thing I'd lost was one piece of armour and a watch. Not a big deal.

TWANG!

I turn and empty some arrows into the skeleton that's on my property, then take out the creeper that's bounding towards me from the back. "Ok, yeah, this needs seriously dealing with".

So, I grab the bucket, fill it with lava, and go to put it into the container again.

ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH .. Game Over!

"Oh FUCK THIS! What the fuck is .... oh, yeah, when I'm right-clicking the container, the game thinks I'm trying to use the bucket. Doh!" This is the sort of stupid shit you forget when you don't play a game for a while. Not only that, but I suddenly realise that I didn't even need to put the fucking thing in the container now because I'd already picked up my arrows on the way back down after I'd died! :lol

So I respawn, and of course it's the middle of the night again! ...

TWANG TWANG BITE BITE ARGH ... Game Over!

To cut an already long story short, my planned 30 minutes or so of checking to see if my base and mine would need a shit load of new torches turned out to be a 7 hour Minecraft session.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ended up doing this for the gift card, since the two people who did drafts for it never followed up with final versions for me ;)

(back, front)
minecraftgiftcard-1.png

ignore the black blob on the tree, i used photobucket's awful online editor to censor out the username :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MNC said:
If I had time I'd do it proper; those black blobs hurt my eyes!

well obviously i'm not going to give the gift card with black blobs on it, I've got a high quality multi-layer original, that's just the photobucket copy i'm sharing with gaf :p

BooJoh

Last night I started working on a texture pack to use during the holidays. So far I have snow replacing all grass, pine needles (need work), lights, star lightstone, fireplace furnace, gift chests, poinsettias, reindeer cows, and a few other things. I still have a bit of work to do and I'll post some more screens when I'm farther along.

2010-11-05_093346.png

It seems you can only place torches on leaves while on Fast graphics. I'm not sure if they'll all fall off if I switch it to Fancy.

Tntnnbltn

Jasoco said:
I hope Notch fixes the portal misfire soon.

In my world I create Portal A. I enter it, it takes me to Portal 1 in the Nether. Then I come back out and it takes me to a new Portal B about a hundred meters from Portal A. So I destroy B and go through A again and come back. Now I have Portal C RIGHT NEXT TO Portal B. So I go back into A and come back out and now I have Portal D even CLOSER to B than C was. So for the fuck of it I have now created Portal's E, F, G and H. [...]

551qhz.jpg
Well that's not exactly a misfire... When you warp through a portal it makes a new one in the closest matching position. The closest matching position to your Nether portal was portal B. But then you destroyed the portal and left the remains, so it couldn't make the new portal there anymore. Instead, it made it in the closest location (Portal C). Then D, then E, then F...

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone verified if the portal thing is "fixed" or better yet? Or if the leaves not falling got fixed? (I don't have portals yet to check)

I hope snow and rain comes to the game (again?) at some point too, as long as it's not too CPU and GPU heavy.

Vlad

Blizzard said:
Has anyone verified if the portal thing is "fixed" or better yet? Or if the leaves not falling got fixed? (I don't have portals yet to check)

I haven't checked on the leaves yet, but the portals are absolutely not fixed yet. I destroyed all my old portals, and made a new one some distance away in the Nether. I built a portal at the very top of my tower, maybe ten blocks below the build ceiling. After popping out in the Nether and wandering around for a few minutes, I went back through the portal.

Even though the original portal was way up high, returning to the overworld stuck me in a cave somewhere. I don't yet know how close I am to the original portal, but it's definitely not working like it should yet.

owlbeak

BooJoh said:
Last night I started working on a texture pack to use during the holidays. So far I have snow replacing all grass, pine needles (need work), lights, star lightstone, fireplace furnace, gift chests, poinsettias, reindeer cows, and a few other things. I still have a bit of work to do and I'll post some more screens when I'm farther along.

2010-11-05_093346.png

It seems you can only place torches on leaves while on Fast graphics. I'm not sure if they'll all fall off if I switch it to Fancy.
Excited for this!!!

Also, in Singleplayer I think torches only stick to leaves in fast, in multiplayer they'll stick to leaves on Fancy and in MP you can get an infinite supply of ladders and torches by placing them on leaves and breaking them. They'll add +1 to your inventory but not take one away when you place it. :lol

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:
No, the source block can't sit on the lava source block.

Moving water touching unmoving lava = obsidian. And that's it - other combinations don't do it. If you were to dump a bucket of water directly on top of lava, that specific block of lava would not be turned to obsidian, because both blocks are unmoving.

Conventionally, you're right, but there was one time recently when I dumped a bucket of lava into the ocean - and it created a block of obsidian. Not sure if it was a glitch or not, but I repeated it several times to see and it worked each time.

Strange.

I had never run into any problems with the monster spawning. Yeah there were a lot of monsters at night, but I like it that way. Makes it so that you can just walk around at night willy nilly.

Vinci said:
Conventionally, you're right, but there was one time recently when I dumped a bucket of lava into the ocean - and it created a block of obsidian. Not sure if it was a glitch or not, but I repeated it several times to see and it worked each time.

Strange.

I believe lava source + water source will create obsidian. But flowing water + lava source is the most common way.

Haunted

Vinci said:

Strange.
Well, no.

The lava block eliminated one water source block, creating one block of lava, into which the water from the surrounding ocean flowed, creating obsidian.

I've tried putting a lava bucket into a single block of water and it was just replaced with lava, no obsidian.

I've also tried putting a water bucket into a single block of lava and it just doused the lava, no obsidian.

I am positive that you need flowing water to create obsidian.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Vinci said:

Strange.
That always works, actually.

owlbeak

Having a great time on a temporary waterslide at Vlad's pit! Unfortunately, the boats weren't showing up for other players. :(

Artistdude taking a slide!

i7EJq.gif

DiabolicalBagel!
i7CBi.gif

:lol

Hello from the Pit!
icJy4M.png

notsol337

marked forever
BooJoh said:

2010-11-05_093346.png

I just tested this! The torches stay!

A new screenshot, I say!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Horsebite said:
Having a great time on a temporary waterslide at Vlad's pit! Unfortunately, the boats weren't showing up for other players. :(

:lol

Hello from the Pit!
icJy4M.png
:lol :lol how did you make that and how long did that take??:lol :lol

Vlad

shadowcomplex said:
:lol :lol how did you make that and how long did that take??:lol :lol

Heh, that's my baby on the MP server at the moment... Been working on it for a LONG time at this point. If I had to guess, I started it around the beginning of september.

Pretty much all the regulars on the server have helped out at one point or another. I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me if I tried to do that by myself.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
Well, no.

The lava block eliminated one water source block, creating one block of lava, into which the water from the surrounding ocean flowed, creating obsidian.

I've tried putting a lava bucket into a single block of water and it was just replaced with lava, no obsidian.

I've also tried putting a water bucket into a single block of lava and it just doused the lava, no obsidian.

I am positive that you need flowing water to create obsidian.

I think your explanation works, and yes, flowing water is necessary. Just found it funny that pouring a bucket of lava into the ocean caused an obsidian block. I didn't particularly like that method, though, as it seemed pretty limiting when I could probably get more otherwise in other ways. Still, one of those WTF moments.

SToRM

I just came up with a great idea to make Minecraft a littlebit more challenging :D
Currently the game always lets you start with 10 hearts of health. When health is low, the easy way is to just die and start again with full health instead of searching for food to regain health. If you're not carrying any items you can only gain from dying. I also think a lot of people care more about losing items than dying in the game.
So I think notch should add the ability to let your character gain strength and reward the player for surving as long as possible. For example: at the beginning of the game the player should have a minimum of 5 hearts and for every 2 nights of survival and defeating 5 enemies the player gains one heart to the maximum of 10. Every time the player dies, he loses a heart (or more if the player plays on hard mode). So if at one time you have 8 hearts and you die, you will respawn with only 7 left. I think this way the player will be a lot more cautious about dying. And to make it even better notch should also add things like stamina to be able to run for some distance (depending on stamina), which again can be lost by dying.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've been playing on peaceful all week due to the monster spawning bugs... the longest I've EVER played MC on peaceful. Now that the monster spawning has been reverted I don't have any excuse, but I don't know if I can go back :lol :lol

Playing on peaceful makes spelunking SO EASY. You can go in, torch the hell out of a cave system, and mine it out in no time with stacks of ore.

Going back to edging around each corner in fear, bow in hand... I don't know if I can actually go back to that :lol

Like I said, I've NEVER played Minecraft on Peaceful before. But now that I've had a taste... yeah. I dunno if I can bump it back up. I haven't even protect anything at my home base! I've just been building wherever. It only took one week, but I've already gone soft :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Blizzard said:
I don't remember anyone posting it, so I saw this linked from another forum:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=76184

Someone apparently has a mod to adjust the size and/or variables for biome generation, so you can have things like a giant desert if you want.

Oh that is nice. Might check that out, but if I understood correctly I need to create a new world for this and I just started a new world last week for the new update. Bookmarked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom