• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Having functional smp being tied to minecraft.net actually being online is very annoying
It's not that minecraft.net is down all the time, it's that even if I want to play single-player survival mode, the app freezes up my computer for up to 60+ seconds while it tries to connect before it shows me a "Play offline" option.

Also, I don't know if it's my computer right now or the game itself but I am not getting any sound right now. I tried launching twice. No sound. Does sound have to do with a connection to the site? What gives?

Rubius

Pandemic said:
Oh, well it looks like a game that has been very popular. I'm sure the developers weren't expecting this much popularity. :lol
The Developer.
Single.
He made 16 Million last month.

Blizzard

Banned
Rubius said:
The Developer.
Single.
He made 16 Million last month.
All total, ignoring tax and Paypal fees he's "only" made like $7 million USD, as far as I know. :p

And I'm not having problems loading the website but I haven't been trying to launch my game or play SMP.

BooJoh

2010-11-06_000001.png

2010-11-06_003236.png

2010-11-06_inv.png

-Grass is snow
-Real snow has a "lumpy" texture to show it can be gathered
-Leaves are pine needles
-Saplings are a Charlie Brown style small pine tree
-Torches are red lights
-Redstone torches are green lights (deliberate choice because when only using torches, red looks better than green imo)
-Redstone wires are green wires
-Lightstone has a star pattern on it
-Red flowers are poinsettias
-Yellow flowers and red mushrooms are both miniature Christmas trees. This is to allow more freedom for placing them indoors, as flowers require dirt (and light?) but mushrooms can be placed on wood/etc but require a roof tile above them blocking the sun. The mushroom version has a slightly darker star to differentiate the two.
-Cloth is a festive carpet texture
-Leather armor is a Santa suit
-Iron sword is green with a Santa hat hilt
-Chests are gift boxes
-Furnace is a red brick fireplace with garland
-Some art was replaced, there's a wreath, stockings, holly, and a snowman face with buttons
-Cows are badly-textured reindeer. Probably the weak point of the whole pack.

A couple things I discovered while working on this:
-You can place torches on trees while graphics are on Fast, and they won't fall off when switching to Fancy (thanks notsol337!)
-Redstone torches have a bug where the lighting on the tile they're on will be too dark when you load up the game. It looks fine during the day, but the only way to fix it at night is to remove/replace them or switch them off and back on.
-Some of the particles are used in various locations. I removed the flames from the torches, so the tiny flames next to the stove when it's on don't show (but the fire inside does.) Torches also still smoke, because otherwise all smoke/puffs/portal particles/etc would be gone. I don't mind the look of it really, it almost makes up for the lack of blinking lights.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?z07jwqrg1wl6xt1

Rainier

Blizzard said:
All total, ignoring tax and Paypal fees he's "only" made like $7 million USD, as far as I know. :p

And I'm not having problems loading the website but I haven't been trying to launch my game or play SMP.
I just checked the numbers, it's over 8 million now.

Keep in mind, I did have to F5 his stats page for a solid two minutes before it reached that milestone.

Blizzard

Banned
Rainier said:
I just checked the numbers, it's over 8 million now.

Keep in mind, I did have to F5 his stats page for a solid two minutes before it reached that milestone.
This is just nitpicking...I'm seeing 555014 copies now, for 5550140 euros = 7794616.6160 US dollars according to Google. But whatever. :lol It's a lot.

That's a really cool Christmas pack!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I hope he does some sort of big Christmas update. Much like the Halloween one.

I for one dont care for SMP fixes atm. Add more content to regular old minecraft!

BooJoh

Metalic Sand said:
I hope he does some sort of big Christmas update. Much like the Halloween one.

I for one dont care for SMP fixes atm. Add more content to regular old minecraft!
I hope so too, but I'd much rather it be earlier. People are more interested in celebrating during the lead-up to holidays than the days after.

And I don't play SMP but I can understand that people who spend most of their time there are probably feeling slightly left out at the moment. That said, I'd love to see biome weather implemented soon among other things for single player.

I play a lot of singleplayer, and the number one thing I want right now is to be able to have the awesome experience that singleplayer delivers but in a multiplayer environment.

HappyBivouac said:
I play a lot of singleplayer, and the number one thing I want right now is to be able to have the awesome experience that singleplayer delivers but in a multiplayer environment.

Basically this.

I like the creative nature of the game but I think it is most fun when it comes from necessity. I can just imagine so many awesome situations.

Friend running back from exploring with creepers chasing him. Other friend hurries to craft a new bow and grab arrows from a chest before firing arrows down form their castle wall to cover his escape.

Is the only problem implementing health on the server side? That's how somebody explained it to me.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Basically this.

I like the creative nature of the game but I think it is most fun when it comes from necessity. I can just imagine so many awesome situations.

Friend running back from exploring with creepers chasing him. Other friend hurries to craft a new bow and grab arrows from a chest before firing arrows down form their castle wall to cover his escape.

Is the only problem implementing health on the server side? That's how somebody explained it to me.

Also things like getting smooth mob movement and AI server-side when it wasn't coded with that in mind to begin with, as well as arrows and such. Coming up with a good, smooth way to calculate position and movement in a 3d environment so that it happens the same for all players is not really the easiest thing.

Blizzard

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Also things like getting smooth mob movement and AI server-side when it wasn't coded with that in mind to begin with, as well as arrows and such. Coming up with a good, smooth way to calculate position and movement in a 3d environment so that it happens the same for all players is not really the easiest thing.
Yeah. I don't play SMP much, but don't players already get out of sync (sometimes drastically so)? Doing stuff like PVP combat and shooting arrows seems like it would be incredibly difficult to do reliably, unless the server performance gets a lot better.

SToRM

I'm almost finished building my first minecart station with a booster cart:
minecraft25Medium.jpg

The short track on the left will be used in the future for travelling in another direction. Both tracks can use the same booster.
I don't know yet where I am going to build my next station, but it is going to have the same system as the one I just build, so I will be able to travel across the map at a nice pace :D

Found a really nice minimap mod on the forum - Zan's Mod;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=77497

It's pretty fully featured - the map can either be static, or rotate with the players movements, it can be forced to display the land as if it were day, even if it's night, there's 4 levels of zoom, it can display your exact coordinates and, most importantly of all, you can set up custom map markers!

Only downside is that it seems a bit unreliable with other mods that require patches to install - to get it working right I had to (from a vanilla install) use Xau's 32x32 texture fix, but without installing the texture pack itself, then manually install the texture pack I'm using (BrownCraft), then run the patch for Zan's Mod (installing both the minimap mod and the chat mod, as the improved chat functionality allows control of the minimap) and finally run the patch for Ambient Occlusion - any other combination resulted in the game crashing.

Anyways, here's a screenshot - you can see my custom waypoint marker flag on the right of the minimap;

javaw2010-11-0613-13-27-31.jpg

BudokaiMR2 said:
Basically this.

I'm thinking PvP situations. Two teams, both with bases. Some form of Capture the flag. You try and tunnel into a fortress, get caught, and the tunnel gets flooded with lava or water. The flag room is made of obsidian, so your best option is to go through the doors, and not break through. Your team has offense, defense, and miners, who are searching for materials to make strong swords and shit with. So much awesomeness.

Jasoco said:
Actually, that's a chunk error. That's the edge of a chunk, but the game forgot to make the next chunk match and instead made it desert.

Chunk errors are fascinating. Because pre-Halloween Minecraft and post-Halloween Minecraft have different terrain-generation, if you portal (on a pre-Halloween map) to far-away and walk back, the two generation-systems collide and you get a massive abrupt change in landscape, usually a collosal cliff-face or huge pit.

If you delete a small chunk in the middle of a pre-Halloween map using MCEdit, the new chunk that replaces it will be based on the new-generation system, and completely contrast the area surrounding it, in height and biome. Can lead to some very intersting effects.

-SD-

Banned
Pandemic said:
Why do so many people find this game addictive....?

It looks strange and unattractive.. :p
OK, but here's something to consider for you: I haven't felt the need to play other games during this 6 week period with Minecraft... and I've been playing singleplayer only with a few brief visits to a couple of servers.

Just made some tea and am about to go continue on my little, erm... project :)

Brashnir

My current project - In Progress, about 30% finished.

Front view: (Ignore the trees. I'm using the field as a tree farm while I build)

28ilq35.jpg

View from the other side.

2iqkhmo.jpg

A second deck will be going on top of the mostly-completed lower deck and concourse. The amount of stone I've needed to mine on this thing so far is absurd.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sweet, I've got my base in my new biome world pretty much set up now. Here are a few shots of it:

Minecraft1_0246-1.jpg

This is the front gate. The wall keeps out mobs but has windows to let me safely whack at creepers in the morning. The interior courtyard is all well lit to keep it a monster free zone at night.

Minecraft1_0247.jpg

Here is an overhead view. The water from the greenhouse flows out down a bank into the sea. You can see my nether portal on the penninsula in the back. I got lucky, my portal works two way with no hiccups or surprise portals, and I enter the nether in a nice location too.

Minecraft1_0244-1.jpg

Here is my workshop. The window gives a nice view of the bay. Six furnaces seem to be enough for me, but I left room for more if I want them.

Minecraft1_0243-1.jpg

This is my vault. It's where I store bulk stuff like dirt, stone, gravel, nether mats, and such forth. Only using four large chests for now, but I will be adding more soon probably.

Minecraft1_0186-1.jpg

The greenhouse. Very tranquil and serene with the sound of flowing water and all that glass and wood.

Minecraft1_0202.jpg

The tower gives a great view of the sunrise and surrounding areas.

I started digging a basement for a future cart station and dug into a huge cave network. Some of them open up into caves that exit to the surface locally, but I'm still exploring the deeper veins and it does go deep. I'm pretty sure I'll be turning this into my main quarry next. I've already found a few diamonds, so I know I'm near the bottom.

Wanace

I'm getting this game as soon as Paypal sorts out my account limitation (if that ever happens...). Enjoy seeing all your hard work, you guys have some great ideas!

Jintor

I built my tower into the side of the hill, but the downside I find is that shit is spawning everywhere and even if it's not there's just so many goddamn points of entry. I should have just set up a tower on some flat land and started from there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm gonna start a new game on Peaceful. Just build myself a little place.

edit: fuck I get a Java crash when I start Minecraft!

edit:2 Weird, if I close the javaw.exe crash report the game shuts down, but if I leave it open I can play....

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Ether_Snake said:
I'm gonna start a new game on Peaceful. Just build myself a little place.

edit: fuck I get a Java crash when I start Minecraft!

Whenever this happens for me the only fix is seeing java in the task manager then closing it. If that doesnt work only a restart will fully fix it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Metalic Sand said:
Whenever this happens for me the only fix is seeing java in the task manager then closing it. If that doesnt work only a restart will fully fix it.

Had to reboot. Thanks

edit: ermmm there's a lot of sand in the worlds now or is it just me? I see mountains of sand :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Having minecraft crash like 5-10 times before i can actually play it is getting extremely old.

Start up minimized, 30 seconds in the loading goes super slow and moving in game is not possible at 1-5 FPS. Start up minimized, Running pretty smooth then i go to maximize. Instant crash. Start up minecraft without even entering the world. Crash!

Its like flipping a coin until it it finally decided to just work.

Blizzard

Banned
DeathNote said:
why does the free version make my cpu go to 100%?
Make sure you have frame limiting turned on, and maybe "fast" instead of "fancy" graphics (I forget if that's in the free version though.

IceMarker

DeathNote said:
why does the free version make my cpu go to 100%?
Would you rather it be 110%?

Blizzard said:
Make sure you have frame limiting turned on, and maybe "fast" instead of "fancy" graphics (I forget if that's in the free version though.)
Free version is OLD.

It does not have that option.

I gotta admit, you guys are making some seriously nice works of art there (not sure if art is the right word but close enough for me :lol )

But speaking of mine cart tracks, has anyone tried to make that in the netherworld yet? Like a mine cart around an open lava area where u point and shoot at Ghasts while moving?

Tntnnbltn

Bootaaay said:
Also, came across a mod that turns signs into teleporters when you include the destinations co-ordinates on the sign, which is super-handy;
Someone needs to combine this and portals to make a Stargate mod.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been reading through this thread on and off for a couple weeks now and just decided to buy the game. Looking forward to giving it a whirl when my purchase goes through.

Fabiollo

Goty, for me.

It's the first real sandbox I've ever witnessed in a game. Also, everytime I show it to a friend, he gets immediatly addicted. Minecraft is rightfully spreading like a plague. If you are on the fence, go on and buy it.

The best fun, imho, is the unpredictability of a game in development. If you like game design, it's both beautiful and insightful.

Haunted

That's a nice question for the eventual GAF GOTY thread, actually. Tough to say if an unreleased game in development should be eligible for this year's GOTY.

Darknessbear said:
When are the lanterns being implemented?
In a future update.

Maybe.

Mengy said:
This is my vault. It's where I store bulk stuff like dirt, stone, gravel, nether mats, and such forth. Only using four large chests for now, but I will be adding more soon probably.
*closes New Vegas for a second*

Hm, that gives me an idea...

Fabiollo

Haunted said:
Tough to say if an unreleased game in development should be eligible for this year's GOTY.

I think the unreleased thing plays a huge role in minecraft's fun. It's evolving, somehow unpredictable, full of surprises. I've been playing like crazy and yet the game manages to surprise me. It's like witnessing and being part of a significant moment in gaming's history. I'm sure minecraft will become a fully fledged and brilliant game, but this experience of uncompleteness tops every other game I played this year.

So, I'm not saying "Minecraft Goty". I'm saying "Minecraft alpha goty", which imho could be eligible for the title.

Almak

Hmm, I think trying to build a fireplace in a tree was a bad idea...

2z6tsvt.jpg

This used to be such a nice place before I showed up. :(

efm0hu.jpg

What my little tranquil island looks like now...

2vnm0zd.jpg

IceMarker

I think I'm one of the very few gaffers who actually played Minecraft when Indev first came out from Notch almost a year ago. My how far we've come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom