• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanpira

Vlad said:
I haven't checked on the leaves yet, but the portals are absolutely not fixed yet. I destroyed all my old portals, and made a new one some distance away in the Nether. I built a portal at the very top of my tower, maybe ten blocks below the build ceiling. After popping out in the Nether and wandering around for a few minutes, I went back through the portal.

Even though the original portal was way up high, returning to the overworld stuck me in a cave somewhere. I don't yet know how close I am to the original portal, but it's definitely not working like it should yet.

The problem with portals isn't, as I see it, just coming out, but going in as well. When a portal is made in the Nether, it makes the portal on the nearest free space at that point. This free space could be above, below or beside where it is in the normal world. Because the Nether is 1/8 scale of the normal world(but not a model, as in it's different and completely incompatible) that only makes the portal out further away. On top of that it would have to go in a place in the normal world that was not occupied, so it could be further still. The only way to fix that would be to make the portal either destroy or place, as the case may be, blocks at that very point in the Nether, or for you to go into the Nether and make the necessary changes yourself, then make a new portal out. It would be dangerous to have the portal destroy blocks because you could make a portal in the Nether and have it destroy that awesome new castle, you spent weeks building, when it makes a portal in the normal world. With the random world it would be very hard, if not impossible, to make it work perfect. So instead of making a portal in the normal world and hoping it goes where you want it. You could study the Nether and make a portal from the Nether to the spot you want it, in the normal world, from there. Much more work, but when it's done, it would actually work. Of course with the 1/8 scale it would be very hard to even tell where you are without making a whole bunch of portals. Portals that could go anywhere around the vicinity of where it was made. Hm, it would be easier to just walk, or die when you wanted to go back to spawn.

He could make it so it doesn't create a new portal in the normal world at all, but then fast travel would be impossible without some sort of pointer system. Where the player makes one portal connect to another. Though, if there were a bunch of different types of redstone, you could place one kind of torch on each portal, to make them connect to each other. He could even make it so you could portal to any portal from just one portal, by making it so if you place a torch on the portal, it will go to the other portal with a torch of the same color(more than two portals with the same color torch wouldn't work). Making it so you could portal to anywhere in your world from your spawn point, without having to walk at all. That would make it so you would have to have been there in the first place though. To make the portal and place the torch. No going to far away, unexplored lands. I guess he could make it work both ways. Just make it so if you want to connect two portals, so they always link to each other, you have to place a torch of the same color on each.

Vlad said:
Heh, that's my baby on the MP server at the moment... Been working on it for a LONG time at this point. If I had to guess, I started it around the beginning of september.

Pretty much all the regulars on the server have helped out at one point or another. I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me if I tried to do that by myself.

The server only went online late September. You didn't become a regular until a few weeks later. ;)

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Stitch said:
just burn them.

If you burn tree trunks, do you get blocks from it, or will the wood be destroyed?

Seems like a much faster way to get rid of trees, although I try not to waste resources if I can help it.

Vanpira

AtlusAram said:
If you burn tree trunks, do you get blocks from it, or will the wood be destroyed?

Seems like a much faster way to get rid of trees, although I try not to waste resources if I can help it.

Setting fire to logs just causes them to burn forever. If fire does destroy anything it doesn't drop anything, it's just gone.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Vlad said:
Heh, that's my baby on the MP server at the moment... Been working on it for a LONG time at this point. If I had to guess, I started it around the beginning of september.

Pretty much all the regulars on the server have helped out at one point or another. I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me if I tried to do that by myself.

Looks like you got more of the water gone. Did you finish up that last quadrent?

Oh, and is Waterslide still around? If so, I'll sign on during work just to try it out :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
Well that's not exactly a misfire... When you warp through a portal it makes a new one in the closest matching position. The closest matching position to your Nether portal was portal B. But then you destroyed the portal and left the remains, so it couldn't make the new portal there anymore. Instead, it made it in the closest location (Portal C). Then D, then E, then F...
No it IS a misfire because it should have taken me back to Portal A which is about 100 meters to the left of this view. Instead it created a new one at B. I just destroyed it as an experiment. Infinite obsidian.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jasoco said:
No it IS a misfire because it should have taken me back to Portal A which is about 100 meters to the left of this view. Instead it created a new one at B. I just destroyed it as an experiment. Infinite obsidian.

Infinite obsidian isn't a big deal. Now, if you had limitless diamond too, then there would be an issue.

Jasoco

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Infinite obsidian isn't a big deal. Now, if you had limitless diamond too, then there would be an issue.
Infinite obsidian wouldn't suck so much if it didn't take fucking 16 seconds to mine a single block with a fucking diamond axe!

Vlad

TouchMyBox said:
The server only went online late September. You didn't become a regular until a few weeks later. ;)

Really? In that case, I guess it just feels like I've been working on this thing for longer than I have.

And on that note, since I didn't feel like even more digging today, I hijacked Horsebite's idea and decided to make (with help from Rapstah and Inkwell) a waterslide into the pit:

kb9304.png

I'll be tearing it all down once the pit is done and I need to free that space up, but for now, it's ready to go. There's a bit of an errant livestock problem at the moment, and since I used the pit-side part of the slide that someone else made earlier, it's a little rough and possible to miss the landing pool at the bottom, but otherwise, it works fine. It's possible to make an entire circuit on it without ever leaving your boat.

Finally, do NOT leave your boat after it's shot up the chute to the very top of the slide. Contrary to what the patch notes state, you CAN still get stuck at the top of the world. Happened to me twice while building/testing this (which is why it doesn't go all the way to the top).

owlbeak

Vlad said:
Really? In that case, I guess it just feels like I've been working on this thing for longer than I have.

And on that note, since I didn't feel like even more digging today, I hijacked Horsebite's idea and decided to make (with help from Rapstah and Inkwell) a waterslide into the pit:

http://i52.tinypic.com/kb9304.png[IMG]

I'll be tearing it all down once the pit is done and I need to free that space up, but for now, it's ready to go. There's a bit of an errant livestock problem at the moment, and since I used the pit-side part of the slide that someone else made earlier, it's a little rough and possible to miss the landing pool at the bottom, but otherwise, it works fine. It's possible to make an entire circuit on it without ever leaving your boat.

Finally, do NOT leave your boat after it's shot up the chute to the very top of the slide. Contrary to what the patch notes state, you CAN still get stuck at the top of the world. Happened to me twice while building/testing this (which is why it doesn't go all the way to the top).[/QUOTE]AWESOME!! :lol :lol Though the original idea was Artistdude88's. This shall be fun!

owlbeak

iuaui.png

iuc2q.png

:lol :lol

Edit: You may experience a hefty amount of stuttering from the splashing sounds, if so turn your sound off in the options, that fixes it. :)

Vlad

Horsebite said:
Edit: You may experience a hefty amount of stuttering from the splashing sounds, if so turn your sound off in the options, that fixes it. :)

Ah, I'll have to try that. I just assumed it was the game stuttering while loading up all the new stuff while rocketing down the slide. It would be rather awesome to get a smooth ride down.

owlbeak

Vlad said:
Ah, I'll have to try that. I just assumed it was the game stuttering while loading up all the new stuff while rocketing down the slide. It would be rather awesome to get a smooth ride down.
Definately the sound. Rapstah and I both turned sound off, smooth as silk ride to the bottom! :D

Jasoco

Banned
From his blog:

Minecraft Alpha 1.2.1, Minecraft Server 0.2.3
The server update is not mandatory, but you might want to update just to make sure.

This is a bugfixes only update:

* Signs on the sides of cacti no longer crash the game
* The player won’t get stuck on the top of the world in multiplayer
* Reverted mob spawning back to the old code, it was far to annoying. I have plans on what to do with this.
* Fixed the leaf particle colors
* Reduced CPU usage for monster spawning, but there’s still a lot of work to be done to reduce lag on SMP servers.
* Attempted to fix the portal dupe bug where you could exit through a different (new) one than the one you entered through.

About the portals, it’s possible that two portals can lead to the same portal in the Nether. This is because the space down there is compressed by a factor of 8, and I haven’t come up with a good way to fix this yet.
I might just end up doing an explicit one-to-one binding between portal pairs, but that’s nontrivial as it should survive the portal being temporarily destroyed. If you TNT a portal then rebuild it, you’d expect it to still lead to the same place, right?

Hmm.

More bug updates are coming next week, mainly related to survival mode multi player.

[edit:]

Client 1.2.1_01 fixes armor. And I forgot to mention that Music will play in multiplayer now as well.

SToRM said:
I hope notch fixes the 'bug' where you use the item in your hand if you open a door or a chest. Too many times I've eaten ham or shot an arrow when I just want to open a door. I've even read stories about people setting fire to their home, because they had a bucket of lava selected when opening a door... :lol

Stories?

It was more like a nightmare. It killed me lost all my shit in the lava and I did it going into my treasure chest. The horror.

The horror.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
slaughterking said:
Today I've started logging the progress of my current base with mcmap. That isometric map looks so cute. <3

3a12576b17110ff78d09cd99390768c9.gif

How do you make a gif like that with cartograph pics? :lol

Ive never made a gif before :(

blanky

quick question. I'm trying to set up a server here, how do i find out or set the ip for it? typing help just gives me commands for when it runs. Will it be accessible on computers who run in the same house? thanks :D

Maddog

So I'm relatively new to Minecraft but how would someone go about building something like that? Literally just placing blocks on top of each other? How would one check to make sure it looks good from a distance?

Vlad

Maddog said:
So I'm relatively new to Minecraft but how would someone go about building something like that? Literally just placing blocks on top of each other? How would one check to make sure it looks good from a distance?

Unfortunately, there's no easy way. If you want to see how it looks from a distance, you have to climb down, walk back, and look. And yes, it is just placing blocks on one another. There are map editing programs that are available to do some really insane stuff (like that Enterprise model someone made), but stuff like that is just having a good knack for it and lots of patience.

Maddog said:

I keep a calculator out. However, I have a crazy amount of OCD. It definitely helps me though.

Maddog said:

plan things out on graph paper

Brashnir

funkmastergeneral said:
nooooo minecraft.net is down

I just came across this on my server. Guy did a really good job I think, plus its fucking massive

2ufdht0.png

Nice work. I'm working on something now with a fairly large arch at the entrance. wanted to post a screenshot, but I can't log in.

edgefusion

The natural formations always amaze me, this giant cliff is not far from my spawn point. I'm building a skybridge with a railway track over to it then I'm gonna explore the hell out of it. You can't see from the screenshot but on the lower right side there are a few holes dotted here and there with water and lava coming from them.

cliffcraft.jpg

thespot84

funkmastergeneral said:
plan things out on graph paper

or computerized graph paper....EXCEL! seriously, i plan out front, top, side, rear views in excel by making all of the columns/rows the same width and height, and filling in blocks where I want to place something in game, it's the ultimate blueprint tool.

For mimicking real life buildings I recommend finding 3d models in google earth, and downloading the file into google sketchup.

EDIT: for the gaf server, touchmybox's server took off after oatmeals went offline (we still have backups fwiw) and I've taken over hosting from touch, so it's neoneogafland now...

Brashnir

thespot84 said:
or computerized graph paper....EXCEL! seriously, i plan out front, top, side, rear views in excel by making all of the columns/rows the same width and height, and filling in blocks where I want to place something in game, it's the ultimate blueprint tool.

For mimicking real life buildings I recommend finding 3d models in google earth, and downloading the file into google sketchup.

I typically make a grid in GIMP and use the fill tool to fill the blocks in, but yeah, I do the same for more complicated projects.

For some stuff, I just go with the flow, though.

Jasoco

Banned
edgefusion said:
The natural formations always amaze me, this giant cliff is not far from my spawn point. I'm building a skybridge with a railway track over to it then I'm gonna explore the hell out of it. You can't see from the screenshot but on the lower right side there are a few holes dotted here and there with water and lava coming from them.

cliffcraft.jpg
Actually, that's a chunk error. That's the edge of a chunk, but the game forgot to make the next chunk match and instead made it desert.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm proud to say I built my first Nether Portal. (Also the first time I managed to mine Obsidian)

I lucked out greatly with this world. I found a gigantic cave system with water flowing everywhere, I was dicking around and following the water streams down.

What I found can only be described as paradise, a HUGE cave filled with lava source blocks AND waterfalls so naturally, there was an abundance of obsidian to mine.

As luck would have it there were also a nice ammount of diamond to mine as well :D

My portal to the Nether sucked though as it ended up under ground in a cave with no end in sight. But soon I will face a Ghast (And die horribly)

Pics of said huge cave will come eventually. Forgot to take any while I was down there due to being overly excited :lol

CenLX615

Neo Member
funkmastergeneral said:
Having functional smp being tied to minecraft.net actually being online is very annoying

Seems like it's been dying every 10 mins or something and it feels like an eternity before it comes back lol.

mandiller

Quick question. Do the new biomes (desert/woods etc) appear in maps already made before the update? For example if I explore new area on the map will I come across a desert?

mandiller said:
Quick question. Do the new biomes (desert/woods etc) appear in maps already made before the update? For example if I explore new area on the map will I come across a desert?

As long as it need to generate a new chunk then yes it will use the new biomes code. For any chunk that has been already created then it obviously won't use it.

Pandemic

funkmastergeneral said:
Because you can create anything you want and there is no hand holding.
Oh, well it looks like a game that has been very popular. I'm sure the developers weren't expecting this much popularity. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom