• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard said:
I have 2.5 armor protection, and my leather boots and hat have nearly full meters, so it sounds like the wiki is wrong here unless I'm missing something.

I haven't fought any monsters since making armor, but it definitely acted as damage reduction on fall damage, not damage elimination.

MNC

Razorskin said:
I hope Notch adds chickens in the next friday update because I need a way to make arrows without having to hunt zombies for feathers.
And eggs. Man, I wish you could actually keep them in a pen. In harvest Moon, chickens were my favorite animals. :D

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Gave in and bought it after goofing around in the classic version. Keep dying to things due to impatience with the night, though. Am currently hiding on top of a pillar I built under myself until the sun comes up

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Personally i just want fish and fishing, it'd be easy, 3 sticks and a string, right click water to plant, right click again when something moves, or you actually see a fish grab it.

Still waiting on bigass seamonsters to scare the shit outta me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lots and lots and lots and lots of thanks to MNC. That dude needs to receive a certificate of awesome. Finally can play the game :) :) :)

did some sky bridges/mountaintop castles last night aswell

mc12.jpg

mc13.jpg

only the middle castle is hollowed out way down into the mountain. I like when a lone pig spawns on that floating island. hehe

Blizzard

Banned
Well I guess it's time for me to take a break from playing for a while! I found my first treasure room, with spiders, pig saddles, green moss blocks and redstone, so I guess I've seen most of what the game has to offer. :p

There was also a cool waterfall with deathtrap pits in sand and stone near the base of my mountain. And it turns out you can't STEER pigs when you ride them. It's hazardous to do so, I conclude! (plus you can't get the saddle back I seem to recall hearing?)

Without using an editor, I'm not sure how you would ever get enough iron to do minecarts and tracks. I only ever found a little bit in my mountain...unless you're supposed to go mine mountain after mountain for the ore.

Blizzard said:
Without using an editor, I'm not sure how you would ever get enough iron to do minecarts and tracks. I only ever found a little bit in my mountain...unless you're supposed to go mine mountain after mountain for the ore.
Are you going below sea level?

I was under the impression there is little ore above sea level other than coal. I have lots of iron on one of my maps (think I'm going to start over again though).

So with the update on friday, new worlds have a higher density of materials? I'm curious if it's worth restarting, I like my setup but it's my first.

Blizzard

Banned
RadicalRad said:
So with the update on friday, new worlds have a higher density of materials? I'm curious if it's worth restarting, I like my setup but it's my first.
You can run several worlds at once...try a new one a few times and go back to the first one if you don't like them. :p

Caesar III said:
@ Blizzard: you get 16 pieces of minecart tracks out of 6 iron. That's not thaaat bad imho :)
Ooooh, I missed the 16x part. That makes it a little better!

nataku

I wish this game had tooltips or something. It's hard to figure out what some of these might be.

I have something that looks like coal in my inventory, but it's lighter in color.

Razorskin

----- ------
nataku said:
I wish this game had tooltips or something. It's hard to figure out what some of these might be.

I have something that looks like coal in my inventory, but it's lighter in color.

Clay?

sgnhh

Neo Member
You must have flint.

I wish I could keep myself from starting new worlds, but seeing the initial layout of them is pretty awesome.

Dragnet

Osaka said:
I've had pretty terrible luck in my current game with mining. Only flint and some coal so far.

I had that for a long time, I found that creating your own mines was a lot less productive than finding a decent pre-existing cave and continually following it deeper (or wherever it goes). In the past day I've found Diamond, Redstone, Gold and saw Lava for the first time doing this! :D

nataku

Is there any easier way to take a screenshot, other than doing a printscreen and pasting it into a paint program?

Here's the ore I'm talking about. Coal on the right, unknown one on the left.
unknown_ore.gif

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
nataku said:
Is there any easier way to take a screenshot, other than doing a printscreen and pasting it into a paint program?

Here's the ore I'm talking about. Coal on the right, unknown one on the left.
unknown_ore.gif
It's flint

Razorskin said:
Yeah you can only post images if you've got a GAF Gold account.

I paypal'd neogaf and now i can post images!

Well here's my current setup, nothing grand like the rest of you who have posted up images; it's pretty basic.

Here's a front view of the castle and the bridge leading to it:

frontofcastle-1.jpg

I spent an hour trying to rig up double iron doors for the front to no avail. It seems that wires underneath don't necessarily work, but ones above do. However I didn't want to tear up my wall to figure out how I was going to pull it off. It's annoying that they can't run straight up walls. (Maybe a project for tonight)

frontdoor.jpg

Here's the inside as you come in. To the right is my storage/crafting/furnace room. The immediate left is my mine entrance and pool room. The far left is the stairwell leading to the roof.

inside.jpg

Here's the room that is my work/storage room. The first image is the side with all my treasure chests with signs stating what's in them. The second image is my wall of furnaces, and yes, I do need them all. I like to smelt my rock instead of using it as raw blocks... although I do agree that the raw blocks have a certain aesthetic appeal.

lootz.jpg

furnace-1.jpg

Here's my corner staircase leading up the roof of the castle. Following that is a view of the stairwell and the actual top. I know it's pretty barren right now but I hope to add a tower to the top, I think there's plenty of room for that.

wallacess.jpg

topofcastle.jpg

And here’s my stair case leading to my mine… it doesn’t go quite to the bottom of the world but I think that’s my project tonight. I actually stopped going down when I hit a cavern I had already discovered earlier in my nearby mine. (I had already suspected it passed right underneath my castle base, this confirmed it)

mine.jpg

I initially planned on making this castle just the keep of a larger walled castle with a tall keep tower on the top. However that daunting task becomes even more overwhelming that I would have to demolish all the hills that surround my current castle.

It's amazing how much time I've sunk into this one $15 game. I've already got more gameplay time on this game than I do with most $60 games. Not only that he updates it with a few new things every Friday. Probably the best gaming purchase I've made for awhile!

Edit: I fail at linking pictures.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Indeed. The nice thing about Minecraft is that after you do get burnt out (after probably 20+ hours) you can just stay away for a few weeks, and there will be more creatures, more blocks, more crafting recipes and ores, etc.

If I recall, redstone was actually one of the secret friday updates. This means that the huge feature of electricity and circuits coming to Minecraft were a complete surprise to the community. :lol

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Yeah theres definitely a glitch or difficulty adjustment with the monsters. I'm playing on easy and after starting up today its been really easy. No monsters...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
K2Valor said:
Well, I am going to leave my current world. At first I was going to stick with it.. but I fell into a deep cavern and was consumed by slimes so I figured it would be an appropriate time to leave my world. Here it is in it's final state.

The top of the house, looking at my water canal
AzNn6.png
How'd you get the water to travel that far? I tried making this awesome looking canal encased in blocks of glass but it only travels about 4 blocks before it dies. :(

dejay

Banned
Easy_D said:
Afaik clouds only travel north.

Cool, thanks.

Just sunk a heap of hours into this. I have two projects - a deep mine at night and bringing some water in from the ocean for a big inland lake during the day.

platypotamus said:
Nice, I'm in the middle of building a moat for my castle. Just figuring out the water mechanics

Just right click your bucket on non moving water and put into the moving water and it tends to even it out.

Man said:
Does there exist Epic encounters in this game?

Supposedly there are giant zombies, but i have yet to run into one, but then again, I haven't started anew world yet. There's also huge green blobs, but they don't really count as epic i suppose.

nataku

Damn, got too far ahead of myself when mining and ended up dying to some bow and arrow cave dwelling bastard. Lost everything I had saved up to start building a base... :(

Barely made it back to my cave I was hiding in during the night before the sun went down.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wow @ those TNT videos.

Every day this game seems to impress the hell out of me due to the ideas that the players create.

Finally finished my moat, and now I have an awesome idea that's going to take even longer than the moat did. A whole lot of resources too. If it comes together as awesome in game as it is in my head though, it'll be pretty worth it.

I haven't played around with TNT or redstone wiring much, but I can't figure those out. Why do they need water? Is the wire hooked up to the TNT blocks being used for power, but not the one being launched?

Boonoo

Amazing discovery!

Creepers will attack other monsters if provoked! I saw a skeleton accidentally shoot a creeper, and the creeper turned around and blew him sky high!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Been doing more playing and less updating. ^^;

Before heading into unknown lands in the west I would need protection. I spent the next 2 days trying to figure out how to make arrows and armor.

For arrows I tried every position you could arrange items in, to no avail. "The arrow picture is diagonal, maybe I need to make it diagonal? No wait, all the pictures are diagonal..." I had heard you could make armor out of wool. I tried every position and got nothing.

It must've been the materials. I mined for iron which is quite scarce in this place but I found a small amount and went to work. It's pretty easy when you use the right materials!

With the proper equipment I set out on my westward journey.

MCpiggy.jpg

I decided to ride out in style with my newly acquired pig saddle. And this was my trusty steed, Mr. Pig!

MCpiggy2.jpg

"...wait. Go west! Not south, Mr. Pig!"

He was not as trusty as I had thought. I hit him a few times but he still would not listen. I thought me and Mr. Pig would become the best of buddies, goin' on crazy adventures in uncharted territories. Unfortunately I had to take him with me in bacon form. (And I lost the saddle!)

So I traveled west, alone.

MCnaturalarch.jpg

I saw some interesting things along the way but didn't stop for too long. The plan was to walk for an entire day and set up before nightfall.

MCtheshore.jpg

Right before sunset I ran into a roadblock: The beach! Awesome. Luckily I brought a boat for such an occasion.

MCbeachislands2.jpg

There were islands continuing west. I had my destination set but night would come soon, I'd rather sail during daylight.

As night fell I discovered something terrible. I had forgotten quite a few important items. Sure I had my arrows and armor but no axe! No workbench, furnace or storage chest! Only 50-ish stones and some wood! What a rookie mistake. I panicked and built quickly.

beachsidehouse.jpg

I was able to build this tiny shack before the monsters arrived.

beachsidehouseinterior.jpg

Its even smaller than my second house! During the night there was a lot of monster activity. Creepers especially.

MCsailingwest.jpg

In the morning I set sail. I had not sailed before because there were no standing water areas on the mainland. It was pretty fun. I passed a few small islands but wouldn't stop until I saw one I liked.

MCwesternislandstoptree.jpg

That'll do. I have named the tree on top of a spire Top Tree. More than half the day had passed so I decided to head back and get more supplies to settle on this new island. Next trip I'll climb to top tree and see what else is around.

"Wait, that doesn't look familiar... is this the right way?"

On the return trip I got disoriented and almost didn't make it back to the mainland before night. I guess that's what lighthouses are for.

MCwesternlighthouse.jpg

The Western Lighthouse is made completely of refined stone that I had to make over the course of maybe a week.

While building I thought about what I wanted to do. Would I settle on this new island and abandon my mountain home? Travel west even more? I decided that I'll travel west, east and further north, 3 missions, with my mountain home as the center. Each time I return to my base I'll upgrade it a little more to make it into the mountain stronghold I see in my head.

MCwesternlighthouse2.jpg

Night-time out on the ocean. Its not that bright... I think I should fill it with lava.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom