• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabiollo

MrMister said:
I think I'm one of the very few gaffers who actually played Minecraft when Indev first came out from Notch almost a year ago. My how far we've come.

I regret missing the first months. :(

Kozak

Banned
You guys making a fireplace and burning it down, how the hell are you doing it?

Surely you put a non flammable substance below and around?

It has never gone wrong for me.

Almak

It had a solid 3 block stone base but I think the construction wasnt high enough. When I lit the wood in the middle I saw the flame jump across the stone to a wooden wall 1 block to the left. The rest is, well, yeah.

Kozak said:
You guys making a fireplace and burning it down, how the hell are you doing it?

Surely you put a non flammable substance below and around?

It has never gone wrong for me.

When you look closely at the infamous WTFFF FIRE video he had wood on the inside so it was connected to the outside of the house.

Haunted

You're a bunch of pyromaniacs!

In related news, I embellished my small Haunted house with a bottom and top row of burning meat (the flammable basic Nether block). Tasty.

CH6YO.png

WillyFive

Fabiollo said:
I think the unreleased thing plays a huge role in minecraft's fun. It's evolving, somehow unpredictable, full of surprises. I've been playing like crazy and yet the game manages to surprise me. It's like witnessing and being part of a significant moment in gaming's history. I'm sure minecraft will become a fully fledged and brilliant game, but this experience of uncompleteness tops every other game I played this year.

So, I'm not saying "Minecraft Goty". I'm saying "Minecraft alpha goty", which imho could be eligible for the title.

Well, it is a tough game to categorize.

Was GT5 Prologue eligible for awards?

Because this is like that.

Fabiollo

Willy105 said:
Was GT5 Prologue eligible for awards?

Because this is like that.

There's a huge difference.

We get to play a game which is constantly updated by a single programmer, with the feedback of a huge community of insightful and dedicated gamers. Also, the game is still shaping up, and we don't know yet what it will become in the end. Every day I turn on the game, I know something different or unusual might happen.

GT5 Prologue was something like an extended demo, an uncomplete GT5. I don't feel like uncompleteness was a feature in GT5 Prologue, whereas I highly enjoy it in Minecraft.

I wanted to clear out some trees around my base, so I looked up on youtube the quickest way to do this. I saw a video of a guy using flint and timber to light a tree on fire. So I make a that and light a tree outside my base on fire. Now my entire island is burning to the ground.

I love this game.

Shalashaska161 said:
I wanted to clear out some trees around my base, so I looked up on youtube the quickest way to do this. I saw a video of a guy using flint and timber to light a tree on fire. So I make a that and light a tree outside my base on fire. Now my entire island is burning to the ground.

I love this game.

"That's Amazing. I'm not even Mad"

That is pretty much the motto of this game.

Ferga

Can anyone give me a really dumb down way of creating a survival multiplayer server. Been going at it for 2-3 hours with a friend trying to connect to each other while reading walkthroughs. It just isn't working :S

Haunted said:
In related news, I embellished my small Haunted house with a bottom and top row of burning meat (the flammable basic Nether block). Tasty.
Meat?
I thought it was supposed to be Brimstone or something.

Krelian

Ferga said:
Can anyone give me a really dumb down way of creating a survival multiplayer server. Been going at it for 2-3 hours with a friend trying to connect to each other while reading walkthroughs. It just isn't working :S
It shouldn't be hard to set up a mulitplayer server. One of you runs it and both connect to the right IP address. There shouldn't even be anything to change in the server properties. The only thing I can think of that could get in the way is a firewall that blocks the necessary port(s).

Kozak

Banned
Krelian said:
It shouldn't be hard to set up a mulitplayer server. One of you runs it and both connect to the right IP address. There shouldn't even be anything to change in the server properties. The only thing I can think of that could get in the way is a firewall that blocks the necessary port(s).

Done all this, forwarded port 2556, using port 2556, made sure firewall isn't blocking the necessary ports and still..

Theres nothing wrong with our multiplayer as we have connected to other peoples servers.

Kozak said:
Done all this, forwarded port 2556, using port 2556, made sure firewall isn't blocking the necessary ports and still..

Theres nothing wrong with our multiplayer as we have connected to other peoples servers.

try 25565?

edit: buh, misunderstood. But if you've specifically assigned 2556, there might be av software blocking you, as 2556 is a port used by the W32.Beagle backdoor.

Kozak

Banned
Not A Fur said:
try 25565?

edit: buh, misunderstood. But if you've specifically assigned 2556, there might be av software blocking you, as 2556 is a port used by the W32.Beagle backdoor.

oops meant to write 25565. I've tried pretty much everything :|

I've forwarded ports, increased the range, made exceptions in my firewall for anything to do with minecraft, removed my routers firewall, made exceptions in my virus detector..everything..

We're slowly giving up hope..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bootaaay said:
Spent hours on Minecraft yesterday building a huge-ass tunnel through the side of a mountain for no good reason;

javaw2010-11-0700-54-57-30.jpg

Also, came across a mod that turns signs into teleporters when you include the destinations co-ordinates on the sign, which is super-handy;
Here's the TeleportSign 1.3 mod if anyone's interested;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=76015
Hm, can I ask where you got that minimap mod?

Brashnir

Kozak said:
oops meant to write 25565. I've tried pretty much everything :|

I've forwarded ports, increased the range, made exceptions in my firewall for anything to do with minecraft, removed my routers firewall, made exceptions in my virus detector..everything..

We're slowly giving up hope..

Does your outside IP address start with 10. or 172. ? If so, you're on an internal IP on your ISP's network and not a true outside IP. You'll have to contact your ISP to get a real public IP, which will probably cost more money.

Alternatively, you can have one of your friends host.

Kozak

Banned
Brashnir said:
Does your outside IP address start with 10. or 172. ? If so, you're on an internal IP on your ISP's network and not a true outside IP. You'll have to contact your ISP to get a real public IP, which will probably cost more money.

Alternatively, you can have one of your friends host.

Is that good?

My external starts with 60. if that matters.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
I finally found gold, the game's most useless substance, after dozens of hours in my world. Granted, I spent a lot of time being creative with my building, as opposed to just mining straight down, but I'm about 9 levels down (each floor is three spaces tall separated by a floor/ceiling that's a block thick), so I esimate I'm about 9x4=36 blocks down... Should be hitting bedrock in another couple levels, right? I started at sea level, so it shouldn't be one of those "oh I was mining down from the top of a mountain?" scenarios.

Of course, like a fool, I mined my first block using a stone pickaxe (should have realized something bad was going to happen based on how long it took to break). Still, I should have enough for a watch when I get some redstone dust.

Question: if I hear water 30-40 blocks down... could it be lava? Does lava sound like water? Or does it have its own sound? Or none at all? Me no want horrifying death-by-lava-flooded-mine, so I've hesitated from breaking into what sounds to me like an underground water cave...

Askani

AtlusAram said:
Question: if I hear water 30-40 blocks down... could it be lava? Does lava sound like water? Or does it have its own sound? Or none at all? Me no want horrifying death-by-lava-flooded-mine, so I've hesitated from breaking into what sounds to me like an underground water cave...

Lava makes no sound unless something falls in it and burns. Really though, all you're hearing is the item burn up, so technically I guess lava makes no sound at all.

AtlusAram said:
I finally found gold, the game's most useless substance, after dozens of hours in my world. Granted, I spent a lot of time being creative with my building, as opposed to just mining straight down, but I'm about 9 levels down (each floor is three spaces tall separated by a floor/ceiling that's a block thick), so I esimate I'm about 9x4=36 blocks down... Should be hitting bedrock in another couple levels, right? I started at sea level, so it shouldn't be one of those "oh I was mining down from the top of a mountain?" scenarios.

Of course, like a fool, I mined my first block using a stone pickaxe (should have realized something bad was going to happen based on how long it took to break). Still, I should have enough for a watch when I get some redstone dust.

There is lots of water underground and lava doesn't make a sound. Just don't dig straight down and you should be fine.

Haunted

Revolutionary said:
Meat?
I thought it was supposed to be Brimstone or something.
Isn't Brimstone yellow?

I thought I read the meat name on the wiki but looking at it now I think someone referred to it as such in the minecraft forums. I liked the hellish image of a world made out of meat and living matter, that's why it stuck with me, I guess. :lol

The wiki calls it Netherstone or Red Mossy Cobblestone (lame!), but we don't know what it actually is until we hear it from Notch directly. :p

Haunted

AtlusAram said:
Bedrock starts appearing 60-64 levels below sea level. The minecraft worlds are 128 blocks high I think.

Vlad

Well, it looks like we're officially back into territory where there's going to be semi-frequent updates... Just saw this on Notch's twitter:

Notch's Twitter said:
Official skin pack support, coming tomorrow:
7qB8w.png

Salaadin

Is there a US purchase page? Im currently at the paypal screen but its listing the price as €9.95EUR. Will paypal do the conversion for me?

Im buying this based solely on this thread on the things Ive seen you guys do. I dont even need to try it first. This looks too cool to pass up.

Salaadin said:
Is there a US purchase page? Im currently at the paypal screen but its listing the price as €9.95EUR. Will paypal do the conversion for me?

Im buying this based solely on this thread on the things Ive seen you guys do. I dont even need to try it first. This looks too cool to pass up.
yeah paypal automatically converted for me at least.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Dechaios said:

:lol

Strangely enough, I tend to get like this whenever I find myself falling too far into a game as engrossing as Minecraft. I tend to notice all the stuff outside that I'm missing and want to experience that instead. Then I cry because I realise I've turned into my dad.

Same thing happens with Sims.

Vlad said:
Well, it looks like we're officially back into territory where there's going to be semi-frequent updates... Just saw this on Notch's twitter:

7qB8w.png
Holy awesome fuck. This is so nice, especially if he's going to put out updates more frequently so I don't have to constantly reinstall texture packs.

Jasoco

Banned
I guess the ZIP format will be simple "Place everything as it should be at the root of the ZIP" so we can convert packs we already made into skins.

WedgeX

Banned
Digging is driving me semi crazy. I'm reluctant to use up my iron for pickaxes, so i spend tons of time using stone pickaxes, and don't have that much gun powder. Should I be killing creepers left and right and start bombing out the underground lairs I want to ultimately reshape?

And because seeing worlds is fun, here is mine:

minecraftworldview110810.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom