• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

Well, here's a pic of my current base but it's not interesting at all - everything above-ground is mob trap.

MCMap%20LiveScreenSnapz001.png

I'm going to start building something out on the water soon.

Unfortunately I'm currently distracted by an absolute mammoth of a cave system I've tapped into right down near the bedrock :)

Also note the Nether gate. I've been through twice: the first time I quickly built a wall around it. The second time I realised I'd only built it on one side of the portal and was quickly killed when I appeared on the wrong side :)

Salaadin

Ok nobody told me that this game was creepy :\ Im sitting inside my little cave surrounded by a bunch of torches while monsters growl at me from the outside:lol

I just read that Im set with one spawn point and when I die, this is where I respawn at. Is there any way to change that or at least find out where it is?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Salaadin said:
Is there any way to change that or at least find out where it is?

If you make a compass, it'll point towards your spawn point.

ZZMitch

ZealousD said:

Or you could die :D

In all my worlds I have a spawn house around or near my spawn point.

In other news, I have about 64 brick blocks from beach expeditions, prolly gunna build a cozy brick house in time for the Christmas season me thinks...

edgefusion

I mentioned a little while ago about the poor (ish) performance of Minecraft when running OS X but I'm happy (ish) to report that installing Windows 7 via boot camp lets you play with both far and fancy turned on with no problems. Looks like I'll be doing all my mining in Windows from now on!

Bread

Banned
edgefusion said:
I mentioned a little while ago about the poor (ish) performance of Minecraft when running OS X but I'm happy (ish) to report that installing Windows 7 via boot camp lets you play with both far and fancy turned on with no problems. Looks like I'll be doing all my mining in Windows from now on!
I always thought it was my computer's lack of power, but maybe I should try this. I can't play on normal without constant stutters, let alone far.

r1chard

edgefusion said:
Unfortunately there's a bug in the OS X version (at least) that means I can't play while I've got a monitor plugged in - triggers some bug in the mouse pointer lookup (is what I gather from the traceback).

Otherwise performance is quite good on normal + fancy (MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9400M)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You know, when Fallout glitches, it's no big deal because you know to save every 10-15 minutes. When this glitches? You're just flat out fucked.

I lost a ton of stone and a stack of iron because of a skeleton outside of my spawn point. All my stuff vanished by time I made it back...about 15 seconds later.

Sigh.

Jasoco

Banned
WanderingWind said:
You know, when Fallout glitches, it's no big deal because you know to save every 10-15 minutes. When this glitches? You're just flat out fucked.

I lost a ton of stone and a stack of iron because of a skeleton outside of my spawn point. All my stuff vanished by time I made it back...about 15 seconds later.

Sigh.
It's called obsessively backing up your world before setting off to do anything big.

WanderingWind

Jasoco said:
It's called obsessively backing up your world before setting off to do anything big.

I was outside my spawn point! I didn't think I needed to!

Today has just been a shit day for Minecraft. Earlier, I did something incredibly stupid and lost some primo gear, then this.

:lol

Atomski

WanderingWind said:

Sigh.

I hit esc and let it save every now and then. Has saved me some heartbreak.

WanderingWind

Atomski said:
I hit esc and let it save every now and then. Has saved me some heartbreak.

Eh. Wouldn't have done anything for me here. Once you die, it saves. I tell you what, if I had had anything more valuable than iron, I would be using an editor to get my shit back after that one. It's one thing to lose your stuff because you're being a dumbass, but when Herobrine jacks your shit while you're respawning....not fair.

edgefusion

Bread said:
I always thought it was my computer's lack of power, but maybe I should try this. I can't play on normal without constant stutters, let alone far.

I've since changed my mind after going through 65+ updates, one of which nearly breaking the whole Windows installation. I can't be dealing with all those headaches just so I can have my Minecraft set to far instead of normal. :lol

N-Bomb

Okay, now that I've got a proper dynamic dns thing going, we're looking for a few more players for our server. It's using hmod now with a few plugins. We do multiple backups per day, and generally frown on/try to prevent griefing.

It's not a super-busy server (and the hardware's a little slow), but I'm hoping a couple people will join our 8 or 9 current guys to use it regularly.

If anyone's interested, the address is here . It's up close to 24-7.

Here's a couple of night shots of the more populated area right now.

z9Cp.mcen.jpg

b4Yv.mcen2.jpg

Thanks!

thespot84

the server looks pretty sweet n-bomb.

I'd suggest that you remove the address from the post and repost it in the online thread, since this is open and fair game for griefers.

As an aside, how are you liking hmod? do you use the warp plugin? Also, how do you manage to do backups, is it automated?

mollipen

ZealousD said:

Wait. The compass, it points... it points to your spawn point? Not just north? So that's why I kept thinking I was getting weird readings on it all of the time?

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!! That compass thing is actually useful!!

Vlad

shidoshi said:
Wait. The compass, it points... it points to your spawn point? Not just north? So that's why I kept thinking I was getting weird readings on it all of the time?

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!! That compass thing is actually useful!!

Yeah.. it'd be kind of redundant if it pointed north, since you can use the sun/moon/clouds for that.

N-Bomb

thespot84 said:
the server looks pretty sweet n-bomb.

I'd suggest that you remove the address from the post and repost it in the online thread, since this is open and fair game for griefers.

As an aside, how are you liking hmod? do you use the warp plugin? Also, how do you manage to do backups, is it automated?

Ah, thanks... where is the online thread? <-- n/m, I think I found it.

As to hmod, it's pretty neat. I've limited what harm people can do, and banned anyone but admin from using certain things like TNT. Warps are pretty cool and make travel easier, but I think I'd prefer a portal system so that you actually have to walk a bit :)

edit: I'm loving this IRC plugin. I can keep tabs on stuff and communicate when I'm not in game, and not have to tab out to talk to others outside the game!

Backups are automated using a script, turning the world into a .7z and copying it elsewhere. It's really come in handy a few times.

Dante23

N-Bomb said:

Thanks!

This server is so beautiful, I entered once tonight but just to admire all the great things that you've done with the members, seriously I was impressed. Loved how you placed a chest with a lot of useful things as a starter kit, I'm a noob in Minecraft, I bought it last saturday, so I just walked all over the place, didn't place a single block.

Thanks for the address. Keep up the good work.

mollipen

Vlad said:
Yeah.. it'd be kind of redundant if it pointed north, since you can use the sun/moon/clouds for that.

Not that it would make any sense if it pointed north, it was just a case of me never thinking about a compass in any other terms than what it is in real life.

Atomski

WanderingWind said:
Eh. Wouldn't have done anything for me here. Once you die, it saves. I tell you what, if I had had anything more valuable than iron, I would be using an editor to get my shit back after that one. It's one thing to lose your stuff because you're being a dumbass, but when Herobrine jacks your shit while you're respawning....not fair.

Oh I thought you were having crashes. I feel your pain though, I died like 3 times after the Halloween update and said f it. Sucks losing everything 3 times in a row >_<.

Anyways I still get these random black screens now and then. Really pisses me off when I done some major work and I lose all of it :(.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Exano said:
My Minecraft Train Station...

Made it as a prototype for what im going to use in my server.. im burying it all underground and hiding the wiring, also making the stations much nicer and adding an underground cart recycler. I'm helplessly addicted :p

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine how I would do something like that without spending hours reading tutorials. It looks really great, I love how you can just hit a few buttons and be speeding off to your destination. Is it at all possible to add even more options of where to go for each station? I guess that would need different tracks maybe?

Greyvvolf

N-Bomb said:
Okay, now that I've got a proper dynamic dns thing going, we're looking for a few more players for our server. It's using hmod now with a few plugins. We do multiple backups per day, and generally frown on/try to prevent griefing.

It's not a super-busy server (and the hardware's a little slow), but I'm hoping a couple people will join our 8 or 9 current guys to use it regularly.

http://files.droplr.com/files/15575338/z9Cp.mcen.jpg

http://files.droplr.com/files/15575338/b4Yv.mcen2.jpg

Thanks!
Is that two hotels? One looks like it has a swimming pool on the roof. Do they have different floors and rooms inside too?

Brashnir

Exano said:
My Minecraft Train Station...

Made it as a prototype for what im going to use in my server.. im burying it all underground and hiding the wiring, also making the stations much nicer and adding an underground cart recycler. I'm helplessly addicted :p

awesome job.

My multiplayer server is starting to get pretty big. I really hope he fixes minecarts in multi soon. I'd totally love to do something like this.

Exano

Neo Member
Elcheris said:
Wow, I can't even begin to imagine how I would do something like that without spending hours reading tutorials. It looks really great, I love how you can just hit a few buttons and be speeding off to your destination. Is it at all possible to add even more options of where to go for each station? I guess that would need different tracks maybe?

Yeah, its no problem. The only difference is the logic gates get a little bit more intense, and the second you add a fourth station it means you need to have four switches... can't get by with just the one anymore.

And yeah my goal is to have it everything is automated - even putting down the minecart. Each station will have a recycler, and that will constantly spin 4-5 carts around with a few switches in the ground to break momentum and to provide a light up top in case something goes wrong. Push a button, get a minecart. Switch the lever, push a button and your off.. when you get to the destination just get out, push the boost button, and it'll go back into the cart cycler =)

But... i'm waiting until its on my SMP server for that =p

Exano said:
Yeah, its no problem. The only difference is the logic gates get a little bit more intense, and the second you add a fourth station it means you need to have four switches... can't get by with just the one anymore.

And yeah my goal is to have it everything is automated - even putting down the minecart. Each station will have a recycler, and that will constantly spin 4-5 carts around with a few switches in the ground to break momentum and to provide a light up top in case something goes wrong. Push a button, get a minecart. Switch the lever, push a button and your off.. when you get to the destination just get out, push the boost button, and it'll go back into the cart cycler =)

But... i'm waiting until its on my SMP server for that =p

That is ....

The most.......

Awesome thing i read today.

Jasoco

Banned
I just wish tracks didn't require so much damn iron. And no, I'm not cloning it. At least we get 16 per every 6, which is better than the 7 sticks per single ladder, but still.

Brashnir

Kozak said:
Yup.

This is really annoying :(

So, just to be clear, from the PC that is running the server, you can:

A - Connect to the server via 127.0.0.1
B - Connect through local network address of 192.168.whatever

and can not:

C - Connect through external IP of 60.whatever.

If that's the case, either the ports are forwarded incorrectly (which you seem confident is not the case) or your ISP is translating addresses somewhere and what your router sees as your external IP is really an internal IP on your ISP's network rather than a true public IP.

I don't think 60. address is typically used in this manner, but I'm not really an IP guy - it could very well be the case.

Kozak

Banned
Brashnir said:
So, just to be clear, from the PC that is running the server, you can:

A - Connect to the server via 127.0.0.1
B - Connect through local network address of 192.168.whatever

and can not:

C - Connect through external IP of 60.whatever.

If that's the case, either the ports are forwarded incorrectly (which you seem confident is not the case) or your ISP is translating addresses somewhere and what your router sees as your external IP is really an internal IP on your ISP's network rather than a true public IP.

I don't think 60. address is typically used in this manner, but I'm not really an IP guy - it could very well be the case.

I think its definitely my ports. I've forwarded them but when I check if they have been forward via http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/, it says they the ports are still closed.

I'm hoping there will be a multiplayer update soon that makes it easier to create servers but for now I'll keep fighting.

edit:

But I am confident I have forwarded them correctly, made exceptions in firewall, virus scanner, removed routers firewall etc.

Belfast

r1chard said:
Hmm, I just downloaded an update. Any ideas? Is it just for the Happy Birthday mesasge?

Not a dammmmn clue. Seecret Tuesdays? It seemed like more than a couple of bug fixes. Haven't seen anything new yet, so maybe it has something to do with MP.

Brashnir

Kozak said:
I think its definitely my ports. I've forwarded them but when I check if they have been forward via http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/, it says they the ports are still closed.

I'm hoping there will be a multiplayer update soon that makes it easier to create servers but for now I'll keep fighting.

if you want, you can PM me a screenshot of your router's port forwarding screen and I can take a look at it.

N-Bomb

Dante23 said:
This server is so beautiful, I entered once tonight but just to admire all the great things that you've done with the members, seriously I was impressed. Loved how you placed a chest with a lot of useful things as a starter kit, I'm a noob in Minecraft, I bought it last saturday, so I just walked all over the place, didn't place a single block.

Thanks for the address. Keep up the good work.

Ahh, thanks man. The guys have put alot of time into making it how it is, we all appreciate the compliment!

There's actually some command in this mod server for giving people kits of things, but I haven't looked into using it properly yet, and this works when an admin is offline.

N-Bomb

Greyvvolf said:
Is that two hotels? One looks like it has a swimming pool on the roof. Do they have different floors and rooms inside too?

haha, I suppose they could be? One of them for sure was just meant to be an office tower. I was spamming the building of it here a couple months ago. It's just meant to be floor space for whatever. The underground part isn't quite finished yet though :\

SToRM

I backup my saves using a self-made backup script with only 2 lines of code:

@echo off
xcopy "%appdata%\.minecraft\saves" /e /h /c /i /y /r
Paste this into a notepad file and rename it to a .bat file. By clicking the file it will make backups :D
The saves will be placed next to the file.

WarMacheen

N-Bomb said:

z9Cp.mcen.jpg

b4Yv.mcen2.jpg

Thanks!

Tried to join your server, connection refused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom