• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Salaadin said:

Not that is answers your question, but what I use it just 7zip operated by a batch file executed by windows scheduler.

I'll post it later tonight if I can find some time.

edit: Actually it would be nice if the map format was smaller somehow :) The saves are 80~ MB compressed now, and it usually takes like 7-8 mins just to compress.

The perils of procedural gaming!

kottila

Tomorrows update:

General fixes:
* players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects
* getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended
* lava flows further in the Nether
* zombie pigs eventually forgives
* added support for custom texture packs
* fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens
* zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava
* fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:
* hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though
* boats are now visible to other players
* minecarts move nicer
* fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work
* sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now
* buckets work now
* fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy
* increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”
* made it possible to ride carts and boats (pigs should work too..)

N-Bomb said:
Not that is answers your question, but what I use it just 7zip operated by a batch file executed by windows scheduler.

I'll post it later tonight if I can find some time.

edit: Actually it would be nice if the map format was smaller somehow :) The saves are 80~ MB compressed now, and it usually takes like 7-8 mins just to compress.

The perils of procedural gaming!
I guess the problem is the mass of files to be copied! Try to delete such a folder in Windows. Takes ages. Perhaps notch can use a not file driven system in the future. The DB-based that can be used for creative mode sounds nice ;)

pirata

Wait...does that update mean that minecarts are actually going to work now in multiplayer? And Hell too? Or is there a lot of work that still needs to be done?

I'm being too optimistic, aren't I?

pirata said:
Wait...does that update mean that minecarts are actually going to work now in multiplayer? And Hell too? Or is there a lot of work that still needs to be done?

I think they will function tomorrow, except for some bugs probably.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
pirata said:

Sounds like Hell portal still won't work, but minecarts will

N-Bomb

Caesar III said:
I guess the problem is the mass of files to be copied! Try to delete such a folder in Windows. Takes ages. Perhaps notch can use a not file driven system in the future. The DB-based that can be used for creative mode sounds nice ;)

DB-based might be hard to back up or access by the user - maybe just a container format would be nice. Amazing how 80MB of 30,000 little files takes like 5 mins to copy, but 1 80MB file takes like 10-15 sec.

N-Bomb

Oh, I should mention - we're gonna have a fun xmas extravaganza (kind of like Oatmeal did before shutting his server down) where I'm gonna give the mods the iNuke plugin and TNT/lava/whatever to everyone else to destroy the world. (I'll restore a backup after)

Wheeee!

thespot84

N-Bomb said:
DB-based might be hard to back up or access by the user - maybe just a container format would be nice. Amazing how 80MB of 30,000 little files takes like 5 mins to copy, but 1 80MB file takes like 10-15 sec.

A container would be wonderful, messing with worlds on Dropbox is a god-forsaken nightmare.

Haunted

shadowcomplex said:
what does this mean exactly?
7qB8w.png

oh hell yeah.

shadowcomplex said:
what does this mean exactly?
if you want to reskin your minecraft world there will be a way to do so built into the game instead of doing the current process of manually going into the game files and changing textures.

N-Bomb

fredrancour said:
if you want to reskin your minecraft world there will be a way to do so built into the game instead of doing the current process of manually going into the game files and changing textures.

I hope some easy way to install them will be available. Or a gallery site like minecraftskins.com or whatever it is.

N-Bomb said:
I hope some easy way to install them will be available. Or a gallery site like minecraftskins.com or whatever it is.
Going by the skin manager screenshot, it's probably just a matter of dropping a zip file into a certain directory.

Salaadin

Is there true full screen for this and does it still allow alt-tabbing so I can still check recipes and stuff? I cant find anything in options anywhere and google leads me to some hacks for it but Im also reading something about F11 switching to full screen? I dont remember that in the controls menu.

Haunted

Salaadin said:
Is there true full screen for this and does it still allow alt-tabbing so I can still check recipes and stuff? I cant find anything in options anywhere and google leads me to some hacks for it but Im also reading something about F11 switching to full screen? I dont remember that in the controls menu.
F11 switches to fullscreen, yes. Alt-tabbing minimises the game to a window again.

Several F keys have undocumented functionality. F1 (removes HUD), F2 (screenshot), F3 (lag spikes and performance info) F5 (third person view), F11 (fullscreen)

Salaadin

Haunted said:
F11 switches to fullscreen, yes. Alt-tabbing minimises the game to a window again.

Several F keys have undocumented functionality. F1 (removes HUD), F2 (screenshot), F3 (lag spikes and performance info) F5 (third person view), F11 (fullscreen)

Good info. Thanks :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
N-Bomb said:
Oh, I should mention - we're gonna have a fun xmas extravaganza (kind of like Oatmeal did before shutting his server down) where I'm gonna give the mods the iNuke plugin and TNT/lava/whatever to everyone else to destroy the world. (I'll restore a backup after)

Wheeee!
I don't know, I found blowing up oats server to be a bit boring.

Also, as soon as monsters work right, I am hoping someone hosts a normal server, with no item spawning and such. Not even for tools!

Are you guys telling me that someone wrote a goolemaps api wrapper for a minecraft server map? o.0 or can you just place an large image in there and it works?

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
I finally found redstone. A watch and compass were a long time in the making for me (I really regret not having mined straight down sooner), and they look quite sexy in my tool bar.

Now for some youtube tutorials on what I can do with circuits/torches. Exciting stuff :)

N-Bomb

Drkirby said:

Also, as soon as monsters work right, I am hoping someone hosts a normal server, with no item spawning and such. Not even for tools!

You didn't have iNuke :)

I think the LOIC is a bit too much overkill, although if it becomes more customizable, I'll consider it.

I dunno, there are people on the server who don't agree with certain constructs *cough*zem/mush*cough* and this might relieve their 'stress' :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Drkirby said:

Yup. Once SMP enters proper beta, there needs to be a "100% legit" GAF server, with nothing spawned at all. I'm waiting until then to dive into MP.... it's the only MP set up that appeals to me.

If someone could show me how, I'd host myself :D

shadowcomplex said:
your plane is missing a wing:lol
Zoom in closer or check it out in-game. It turned out that the wing was too close to the spawn area(can't build in the spawn area in MP) so El_Beefo had to change it to make it look like the wing was tearing apart.

Yaweee

GDJustin said:
Yup. Once SMP enters proper beta, there needs to be a "100% legit" GAF server, with nothing spawned at all. I'm waiting until then to dive into MP.... it's the only MP set up that appeals to me.

If someone could show me how, I'd host myself :D

That would be the greatest day ever. Make it happen, please!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
CrookedRain said:
Zoom in closer or check it out in-game. It turned out that the wing was too close to the spawn area(can't build in the spawn area in MP) so El_Beefo had to change it to make it look like the wing was tearing apart.

you can't build in the spawn area??

2Crisis

CrookedRain said:
I don't know if that's a server setting or not, but on Touch/Spot's server, you can't build within a certain radius of the spawn area.

Happened on Oatmeal's server too, anything built within a certain range of the spawn would just disappear.

CenLX615

Neo Member
maniac-kun said:
Are you guys telling me that someone wrote a goolemaps api wrapper for a minecraft server map? o.0 or can you just place an large image in there and it works?

N-Bomb said:
Dang, that's just what we need for displaying the map! How'd you do it?

It's called the Minecraft Overviewer. It's pretty awesome, but it takes long as hell to render your world if your map is large. You can get it here

thespot84

EL Beefo said:
Seeing that made me think, you should delete some of the unused chunks so we can get some biomes close by. That way we wouldn't have to travel so far to see snow or something. I'm not sure how possible that is, but it's an idea.

If someone tells me how to delete chunks I'm happy to do that, there's a ton of wasted space in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom