• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Cant find this answer anywhere:
I found a chest in a dungeon. If I destroy it, can I pick it up like I can with the work bench or is it gone for good?

Haunted

Salaadin said:
Cant find this answer anywhere:
I found a chest in a dungeon. If I destroy it, can I pick it up like I can with the work bench or is it gone for good?
Well chests are super cheap to make so it's not a big deal either way, but yeah, you can break it and pick it up.

Jasoco

Banned
Is there a Mac app that does isometric views without a command line? I have Minutor for finding minerals at all layers but I have nothing for presentation.

itxaka

Defeatist
I got a server up that I'm gonna leave for 24 hours. It's on an amazon ec2 micro instance so I want to check how much it costs and how well it works so you are all invited to enter and break havoc on it for no reason

Send it to whoever you want, I want to see if the thing works. I'll be looking at it for the next 6/7 hours and then I won't have a look again until 12/14 hours after so you are free to do whatever you want on it

46.51.177.106:25565

Maybe if it works good enough we could end getting one for gaf as EC2 is pretty fucking cheap witht he new micro instances :D

DarkKyo

5w1ay.jpg

The start of my kingdom!

itxaka said:
I got a server up that I'm gonna leave for 24 hours. It's on an amazon ec2 micro instance so I want to check how much it costs and how well it works so you are all invited to enter and break havoc on it for no reason

Send it to whoever you want, I want to see if the thing works. I'll be looking at it for the next 6/7 hours and then I won't have a look again until 12/14 hours after so you are free to do whatever you want on it

Maybe if it works good enough we could end getting one for gaf as EC2 is pretty fucking cheap witht he new micro instances :D
Cool, joining for a little bit. I'm BamSaidTheLady

thespot84

itxaka said:

got kicked, what happened?

itxaka

Defeatist
You guys broke the server!

Thanks for the comments thougth, I can see the micro instances can't hold the power of minecraft!

Atomski

Dechaios said:
http://imgur.com/5w1ay.jpg[IMG]
The start of my kingdom![/QUOTE]

What you using for that screenshot? I used Cartograph but it dosnt look nearly as good. Unless theres something I am missing.

itxaka said:
Thanks man, but it actually was to strees test it and thanks to thespot84 I found out that it won't work :lol

A dude at work set up a server on a micro instance and it seemed to run okay-ish for limited runs when there were only six of us, but started crashing as we added folks and they started exploring in other directions. But yeah, it's running fine on a small instance now and I think we're up to 12 players.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
It seems biomes have broke mushroom spawns. I keep coming across huge spawns of like 5-10 mushrooms not planted in the world and already pickupable.

Jasoco

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
It seems biomes have broke mushroom spawns. I keep coming across huge spawns of like 5-10 mushrooms not planted in the world and already pickupable.
I saw that too. It had me confused for a second.

Edit: Has the update come out yet? My game hasn't updated yet. I can tell because one of the bugs he said it fixes isn't fixed yet and of course I have no skin support and I haven't seen the progress bar download anything yet. I thought it was supposed to be out today (Yesterday)?

ijed

Metalic Sand said:

from wiki:
mushrooms may be generated in the open when exploring during night, at least in the latest Alpha version. Mushrooms growing in the open will pop out of the ground when struck by sunlight, leaving a mushroom that may be picked up. Mushrooms may be planted in direct sunlight, but will pop out of the ground in short order.

Krelian

itxaka said:
I tried this with the micro instance that's free for a year. It kind of worked but not very well and the server complained about too little memory. I think I may give it another try with an instance started on an EU server, maybe that would get rid of most of the lags at least.

Salaadin

So it seems that when I first started digging a base for myself, I did it some spot in the middle of nowhere. I died due to a badly timed jump from one tree to another and lost everything. I wasnt too far in so no big deal but its kinda funny knowing that somewhere in this large world, theres a half carved base containing nothing but a workbench, a stove, and a chest filled with pork.

Are there any real benefits to constantly digging down? I was looking for lava yesterday but couldnt find any. My new base consists of long, windy stairs lit with torches connecting to various caves that I found along the way. I stopped after finding my first redstone ore deposit. I need to build a better pickaxe to mine it but all of the materials are in my storage 5 miles up :lol

Brashnir

Salaadin said:
So it seems that when I first started digging a base for myself, I did it some spot in the middle of nowhere. I died due to a badly timed jump from one tree to another and lost everything. I wasnt too far in so no big deal but its kinda funny knowing that somewhere in this large world, theres a half carved base containing nothing but a workbench, a stove, and a chest filled with pork.

Are there any real benefits to constantly digging down? I was looking for lava yesterday but couldnt find any. My new base consists of long, windy stairs lit with torches connecting to various caves that I found along the way. I stopped after finding my first redstone ore deposit. I need to build a better pickaxe to mine it but all of the materials are in my storage 5 miles up :lol

Diamonds only spawn in the bottom 15 or 20 layers of the map. Redstone too, if you're looking for some of that.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Salaadin said:

There's (little) benefit to just blindly digging down deeper and deeper and deeper. You might get lucky, but more often than not you're just stockpiling on cobblestone than actually running into anything useful.

If you really want to up the odds of finding decent underground loot (monster spawners, diamond, redstone, lava, gold, etc) you'll want to look for natural caverns. Look around enough, you'll find some - big dropoffs that plunge into darkness in the middle of a scenic valley or in the side of a mountain. The algorithms that control drops tend to group things around those places. Again, not that you can't get lucky just digging deep, but you're more likely to find rare ore and lava in a big underground cavern system that the level generator made than a really, really long tunnel you happened to dig. You'll still need to dig around to fully exhaust the cavern, but it beats random digging due to both the increased likelyhood of finding good ore and also the fact that a lot of the digging to just get you down that deep has been done for you.

Another tip: Never play with the sound off. If you're digging 20 or more cubes deep and hear a zombie moan or a trickle of water you're likely near some sort of natural cavern or open area underground. Follow the noise to see what's making it! Just, you know, have some cobblestone ready in case you accidentally flood the current cavern.

Salaadin

Campster said:
There's (little) benefit to just blindly digging down deeper and deeper and deeper. You might get lucky, but more often than not you're just stockpiling on cobblestone than actually running into anything useful.

If you really want to up the odds of finding decent underground loot (monster spawners, diamond, redstone, lava, gold, etc) you'll want to look for natural caverns. Look around enough, you'll find some - big dropoffs that plunge into darkness in the middle of a scenic valley or in the side of a mountain. The algorithms that control drops tend to group things around those places. Again, not that you can't get lucky just digging deep, but you're more likely to find rare ore and lava in a big underground cavern system that the level generator made than a really, really long tunnel you happened to dig. You'll still need to dig around to fully exhaust the cavern, but it beats random digging due to both the increased likelyhood of finding good ore and also the fact that a lot of the digging to just get you down that deep has been done for you.

Another tip: Never play with the sound off. If you're digging 20 or more cubes deep and hear a zombie moan or a trickle of water you're likely near some sort of natural cavern or open area underground. Follow the noise to see what's making it! Just, you know, have some cobblestone ready in case you accidentally flood the current cavern.

Thanks. I know of a few caverns that I can check out. Ill look around there tonight.

Regarding water noises, is this "trickle" a constant sound? When digging around, I hear something that sounds kinda like water but it stops. Its like a one second "drip" or something. To be honest, it actually reminds me of that bamboo water spout/fountain thing at the end of the movie Kill Bill.

Askani

Salaadin said:
Thanks. I know of a few caverns that I can check out. Ill look around there tonight.

Regarding water noises, is this "trickle" a constant sound? When digging around, I hear something that sounds kinda like water but it stops. Its like a one second "drip" or something. To be honest, it actually reminds me of that bamboo water spout/fountain thing at the end of the movie Kill Bill.

Water makes a constant flowing sound. If it's a click/clink sound it's a Skeleton. If it's a plop or smack sound it's a Slime. Zombies moan and Spiders hiss like they do above ground.

Salaadin

Askani said:
Water makes a constant flowing sound. If it's a click/clink sound it's a Skeleton. If it's a plop or smack sound it's a slime. Zombies and Spiders make sounds like they do above ground.

Hmm, Id say this was a plop if I had to call it anything. Ill dig around some in that area. Thanks for the sound descriptions :lol

EDIT: Also, If I dig a step like pattern upwards until I hit the lake nearby, will water flow downward into my base? Im slightly confused by this "source block" stuff that Im reading.
From what I can gather, If I bucket some water and then place it on an edge, it will flow downward and make a waterfall. What if I dont bucket the water and just dig right into a lake?

Huggy

Notch needs to add directional sound. I like finding caverns and dungeons underground, but every time you're on a trail because of a sound it can be anywhere around you.

fresquito

The update is up. Beware with some texture packs. I almost killed myself by installing John Smith's (no kidding). Flowing water doesn't work. So, I'd recommend using the old method.

N-Bomb

#minecen server will be unconnectable until hmod is updated, I guess. If your client is not updated however, it's still available for y'all.

Brashnir

As if the halloween update didn't make harvesting trees a big enough pain in the ass, leaves still don't despawn on their own, and now you sometimes have to destroy them 4 or 5 times before they actually go away. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom