• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Also, apparently if you die or start a new world you spawn holding a bucket of lava. Oh, and if you press F4 then a bunch of nether portals appear right in front of you.

Free obsidian!!! :D

Brashnir

Atomski said:
I just set the leaves on fire.

which is great if you don't intend to re-plant.

edit - apparently this now applies to any block you destroy, not just leaves. If you continue to hold the right mouse button down as you destroy blocks, sometimes they don't actually get destroyed. (Multiplayer - haven't tested single yet)

What an unbelievable pain in the ass.

vermadas

Mengy said:
Also, apparently if you die or start a new world you spawn holding a bucket of lava. Oh, and if you press F4 then a bunch of nether portals appear right in front of you.

Free obsidian!!! :D

:lol Holy shit!

I am going to start a new world and walk around spamming F4 before this is patched out.

Atomski said:
I just set the leaves on fire.

Pretty much. I gather whatever saplings I need, then torch the rest. The only annoyance is if you leave a block of wood stuck in there and come back to find it merrily burning days later, far out of reach :)

Brashnir

Cosmonaut X said:
Pretty much. I gather whatever saplings I need, then torch the rest. The only annoyance is if you leave a block of wood stuck in there and come back to find it merrily burning days later, far out of reach :)

yeah, but despawning leaves used to drop saplings, so it now takes like 10 times as long to get the same number as before.

Which I guess wouldn't be a big deal except that I'm working on a porject that requires a ridiculous amount of wood. Harvesting and replanting 70 trees at a time used to take 10 minutes, now it takes an hour and a half.

edit - some other notes:

Sheep now spawn in SMP, and you can hit them to make them drop wool, but you can't actually pick up the wool.

Redstone clock sources no longer work. No more Christmas lights. :(

Mine carts seem basically functional, but I haven't tried anything other than hopping in one and riding down a hill. This is a nice improvement. I guess I can halt my current project and get working on a mine cart system now that they're usable.

Tntnnbltn

Mengy said:
m5MWg.png

:lol :lol :lol

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Being that I am a newbie at this, I was trying to exploit this portal bug to get some Obsidian. Is using my cherished diamond pick axe the only way to break them up quickly or is there another trick?

Rainier

Sp3eD said:
Being that I am a newbie at this, I was trying to exploit this portal bug to get some Obsidian. Is using my cherished diamond pick axe the only way to break them up quickly or is there another trick?
You need the diamond pickaxe. And patience.

Brashnir

made a complete cart circuit in multiplayer to see how well it worked.

Was able to make a sea level-to bedrock-to sea level circuit with boosters that can circle indefinitely.

The boosters seem to be even more powerful than in Single player, but that might just be a flaw in my perception.

You can not destroy mine carts, so once they're on the track, the only way to get rid of them is to push them off the track manually. Pushing is also weird. You CAN push the carts, but it seems delayed - you have to run all the way through the cart before it will go anywhere, so pushing uphill is a matter of faith since you can't see the cart most of the time you're pushing it.

It's not perfect, but it a huge step from the complete unusability of before today's update.

Atomski

funkmastergeneral said:
for some reason I can't connect to any multiplayer servers since the update

Servers are not up to date. Everyone using a non standard server software will have to wait for updates.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Atomski said:
Servers are not up to date. Everyone using a non standard server software will have to wait for updates.

I have an updated server and I have been able to connect to it once in about 15 attempts. I continue to get connection fail or timed out error. Worked fine before the update.

Brashnir

Calm Killer said:
I have an updated server and I have been able to connect to it once in about 15 attempts. I continue to get connection fail or timed out error. Worked fine before the update.

yeah, minecraft.net is flaky at the moment, making it hard to log in. I've been able to log into mine though, so it definitely works.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Brashnir said:
yeah, minecraft.net is flaky at the moment, making it hard to log in. I've been able to log into mine though, so it definitely works.

No no, I can log into minecraft as a user. I can't log into MY SERVER. It times out. I would assume his update to "* increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”" would have something to do with it.

Haunted

Texture Pack support works excellently once it is set up correctly.

Had to archive the packs to .zip and enlarge the window size (because it wouldn't display all of them and there's no scroll bar yet)., but now it works like a charm.

Switching through them all with one click feels good. And the current pack won't be disabled with every update (or at the very least can be re-enabled with a single click), so I'm happy. :D

Haunted

Anyone have a link to the latest 3D Dot Game Heroes texture pack of choice? Want to try it out now that it's so easy. :)

edit: I also fully expect future iterations of the various texture packs to be already packed into the correct format and file structure. It just makes sense.

Calm Killer

Got in on offline mode so that seems to be the problem. I found a bug with carts. If you are in the cart going down the track the next chunk will not load and you get stuck. The only way out is to log out. A copy of my body and the cart are trapped in the ground at that point. If I get out of the cart before I get to the chunk it will load just fine. So minecart = no loading. On foot = loading.

I just loaded up my game, and there is a bunch of new blocks in the area I have just cleared out. I died instantly because I was being "crushed." I was able to claim my stuff, but now I have to clear all that shit out again :(

Haunted

Oh the mcpatcher tool doesn't work correctly, too. Just did something funky to my minecraft.exe after using it (I was seeing the 3/4 fire glitch in the bloom n brown TP). Probably going to be fixed with the next round of texture pack updates, using Frenden's for the moment.

railGUN

Banned
Is the custom texture pack button broken on Mac's? When I press the button, nothing happens (I don't get any option to pick anything)...

neat. So anyone know how the .zip needs to be set up for the pack to load? i've tried a few diff ways myself and none seem to work

*EDIT: nm I see what I was doing wrong. Zip needs to have all the files/folders at the root while I just zipped the one big folder.

On that note anyone got any other suggestions for good texture packs?

Stitch

Gold Member
meh the update doesn't support hd textures (bumbmaft) and the patcher is broken too. and no ambient occlusion. shit sucks.

Jasoco

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
neat. So anyone know how the .zip needs to be set up for the pack to load? i've tried a few diff ways myself and none seem to work

*EDIT: nm I see what I was doing wrong. Zip needs to have all the files/folders at the root while I just zipped the one big folder.

On that note anyone got any other suggestions for good texture packs?
Exactly the same file structure as you used to use. Just make sure the files are at the base of the ZIP. Not in a sub folder. ZIP the files, not the folder they're in.

Edit: Damn your edit. :lol

Haunted

Stitch said:
meh the update doesn't support hd textures (bumbmaft) and the patcher is broken too. and no ambient occlusion. shit sucks.
Yeah, the transition broke some of the HD texture packs.

Just waiting for some updated packs now. :)

seb

Banned
Haunted said:
Texture Pack support works excellently once it is set up correctly.

Had to archive the packs to .zip and enlarge the window size (because it wouldn't display all of them and there's no scroll bar yet)., but now it works like a charm.

Switching through them all with one click feels good. And the current pack won't be disabled with every update (or at the very least can be re-enabled with a single click), so I'm happy. :D

You can scroll. Just "grab" the list with your mouse and move up/down. Took me a while to figure it out :D

N-Bomb

I'm thinking of eliminating warps in favour of telegates - any opinions on this?

My logic is that /warp makes the game a bit less social, and making people walk a short while to a convenient local gate improves interaction.

Also considering eliminating /sethome in order to promote more building near spawn. What do you think of this?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So last night I completed my first railroad in the game. Since my first base is basically how I want it and done, and the caves beneath it are fully explored now, I wandered and set up a new base across the sea on a new land mass in a nice scenic spot. But it's quite a hike across the water and what not, so I decided to build some transportation!

Minecraft1_0261.jpg

I built the railroad start in the basement of my main base. It dives down and runs under the sea, I didn't want a long bridge mucking up my scenery.

Minecraft1_0259.jpg

I put a few underwater windows in the tunnel along the way. This tunnel took some major time to complete. Good learning experience though.

Minecraft1_0258.jpg

The rail line emerges at the shore across the sea and runs along the tree tops. The ride is quite scenic and safe from monsters. Going down into this tunnel is quite a rush.

Minecraft1_0255.jpg

Eventually it runs into a hole in the side of my new base, Lookout Point.

Minecraft1_0253.jpg

The view as you exit the cart. I like this little base, very open and scenic, yet safe from monsters at night. The cave was natural too, I just built into it and carved it out some.

Minecraft1_0249.jpg

Tonight, I plan on exploring big time. I'm going to just go biome sightseeing and fill out my map some. Rail lines are fun. I plan to make a network of bases in different biome areas and connect them all by rail. I'll treat my inner railroad tycoon until I run out of iron, then it's back to mining!

This game is simply too addicting...

Hmm, so I went into the Nether, went exploring, got freaked out and spawned a portal out of there. I came out right ntext to a desert biome, and then I noticed this sharp boundary between my "old" world, I think, and the biome.

20101110231235.png

Elcheris

Neo Member
Snytbaggen said:
Hmm, so I went into the Nether, went exploring, got freaked out and spawned a portal out of there. I came out right ntext to a desert biome, and then I noticed this sharp boundary between my "old" world, I think, and the biome.

20101110231235.png

I actually had the same thing happen in my world, except the giant drop like that occured right next to water. At least mine looks like cool cliffs, thats pretty unfortunate for that to happen though.

thespot84

N-Bomb said:
I'm thinking of eliminating warps in favour of telegates - any opinions on this?

My logic is that /warp makes the game a bit less social, and making people walk a short while to a convenient local gate improves interaction.

Also considering eliminating /sethome in order to promote more building near spawn. What do you think of this?

Gafland has had !tp for a while, though no /sethome option, and that has encouraged building near spawn, as you can see on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom