• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Snytbaggen said:
Hmm, so I went into the Nether, went exploring, got freaked out and spawned a portal out of there. I came out right ntext to a desert biome, and then I noticed this sharp boundary between my "old" world, I think, and the biome.

My original world did the same thing after the biome update, it's the main reason why I generated a new world after Halloween. And I'm glad I did, I haven't seen any more terrain behavior like that since.

WedgeX

Banned
Finally got around to exploring my world, which I had put off doing initially while waiting for the biomes, and got busy building things that one day will be epic in nature.

Took my boat out on its maiden voyage, carrying the needed supplies to build some outposts, took one look back at my lighthouse and was off. Immediately came upon some cliffs, with lava lighting up a cave. Thought it looked fantastic. Dug around, found a fair amount of coal. Went exploring some more, found some deserts. Lots of openings in the ground, leading to winding caves. Jumped down into one, started throwing torches left and right. Came across an underground waterfall. Killed a zombie with my sword. Place a torch on some cobblestone. Hmmm. There was an opening next to the cobblestone, just a 3x1 hole. Had no blocks equipped. Inventory time!

As I hit the inventory, what seemed like a dozen zombies piled out of the opening and swarmed me.

When I respawned, it was dusk. I hopped across the water and back to land. Hhhhssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss boom.

Three more times I tried to get back to the cave. No such luck before morning. All that coal and the items I carried with me on the journey, lost.

Damnit.

I love this game.

pirata

I want to use custom textures/skins/the ambient occlusion mod, but it's just way too confusing for me (there's a reason why I've never ever been able to install a mod for a PC game before). I kinda understand how to use custom textures from this guide, but I'm having trouble finding cool textures that I want to download! The one or two that I have found require some kind of "HD texture mod," which completely scares and dumbfounds me, as does the ambient occlusion mod. Also, I still have no idea how to install a custom skin for my character (no matter how hard I look, there aren't any instructions).

Help?

BooJoh

My Christmas texture pack works just by dropping the zip into the texture packs folder, unfortunately texture packs don't currently support replacement grass and foliage colors, so the snow replacing grass doesn't work without manual installation of the gradients.

pirata said:
Also, I still have no idea how to install a custom skin for my character (no matter how hard I look, there aren't any instructions).

http://minecraft.net/skin/

Ramma2

For anyone who may have admin'd a server:

Have you figured out a way to stop the annoying block pop-in that sometimes happens when digging quickly? Seems like it might be a lag issue, but when I'm just playing over my LAN that shouldn't be an issue.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Blast! My evil twin has invaded neogafland!

6pfs6.jpg

epmode

So ever since the Halloween update, I can't get Minecraft to run with vsync. I'm using D3D Overrider and I have it set to medium, vsync and triple buffering on. I even hear the little chime sound when it goes to fullscreen but the tearing is all over the place. The FPS counter shows the framerate higher than my monitor's refresh rate so I know something's wrong.

Every other game I test is OK with vsync and triple buffering.

Any ideas?

ZealousD said:
Blast! My evil twin has invaded neogafland!

6pfs6.jpg
Trigun right? Haven't watched that in ages.

Side note, this is probably old news, but I found if you alt-f4/crash the game without going to the ingame menu, your inventory and position stay but your world reverts to your last "save." So despite me raging that a creeper blew me up along with all my ore and equipment falling into lava, i can just go back and mine it again :D

CrunchyFrog said:
Side note, this is probably old news, but I found if you alt-f4/crash the game without going to the ingame menu, your inventory and position stay but your world reverts to your last "save." So despite me raging that a creeper blew me up along with all my ore and equipment falling into lava, i can just go back and mine it again :D

Holy shit. next time I find me some diamond ore, I know what I'm gonna do.

(I don't know why it seems more legit to exploit bugs than just to use editors, but it does to me. Long console history I guess.)

Salaadin

This game is kind of amazing.

After my post yesterday about wanting to find lava, I went home and played some more. I figured Id look for some in another cave outside but I wanted to flesh out the small cavern I discovered under my base first so I went down and started digging. Found some Redstone and Silver which I had previous never seen before so I was pretty happy.
I started chipping away a little bit here and there to make the cavern a little more spacious and easy to get around in and I heard a trickle of water. I got closer and closer until I saw it and the direction it was flowing. As I dug in the direction of the water, I saw another cavern right next to the one I was digging out. I dropped down and lo and behold, 2 large pools of lava.

I literally sat there for a few seconds just thinking "OOOOHH LAVA!!" with this weird sense of accomplishment. Whats wrong with me!
The rest of my night then consisted of me looking around this lava cave and wondering what Im going to do with it.

Anyone feel like this game has shown the tell-tale signs of 'fad' lately? Haven't played much since the Halloween update, mostly because since playing SMP I just don't enjoy singleplayer much at all any more. Sharing my creations and building cooperatively with others added a much needed flavor to the game that I can't go back from. However, lately a lot of my friends that I played with have lost interest in the game. I hoped integration of a more 'survival' themed SMP that was promised but not delivered in the Halloween update (SMP health and monster corrections) would help bring them back, but as it never materialized, neither did the people I used to play the game with.

Haven't played Minecraft in about 2 weeks now and am starting to regret my purchase and buying the game for a friend as looking back it seemed more impulse based and sort of a waste for just a few short months of play. Not like this doesn't happen with a lot of Steam purchases, but I digress. Still a shame. I thought Minecraft would be more lasting.

Philthy

Pinko Marx said:
Health and Monsters and the like won't be coming to SMP until Beta.

He has already said he will be fixing SMP right now, so we will probably see it before then. He just put up a poll on twitterfacespace asking what people wanted fixed first, health or duping.

I'm going to guess we will see health fixed next.

eso76

CrunchyFrog said:
Trigun right? Haven't watched that in ages.

can also be used to duplicate items...
put them in chest - save game - pick them up again - alt+f4 - reload.
You now have them in your inventory AND in your chest.

fresquito

Blue_Gecko said:
Anyone feel like this game has shown the tell-tale signs of 'fad' lately? Haven't played much since the Halloween update, mostly because since playing SMP I just don't enjoy singleplayer much at all any more. Sharing my creations and building cooperatively with others added a much needed flavor to the game that I can't go back from. However, lately a lot of my friends that I played with have lost interest in the game. I hoped integration of a more 'survival' themed SMP that was promised but not delivered in the Halloween update (SMP health and monster corrections) would help bring them back, but as it never materialized, neither did the people I used to play the game with.

Haven't played Minecraft in about 2 weeks now and am starting to regret my purchase and buying the game for a friend as looking back it seemed more impulse based and sort of a waste for just a few short months of play. Not like this doesn't happen with a lot of Steam purchases, but I digress. Still a shame. I thought Minecraft would be more lasting.
Few short months of play? For 10 bucks sounds good to me.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Not A Fur said:
Holy shit. next time I find me some diamond ore, I know what I'm gonna do.

(I don't know why it seems more legit to exploit bugs than just to use editors, but it does to me. Long console history I guess.)
thats cheating.. good thing i thought of it.

webrunner

fresquito said:
Few short months of play? For 10 bucks sounds good to me.

There's a weird sense recently when it comes to games.. a lot of people seem to think that it's not worth it to spend $10 on something even if they would spend $50 on less. $10 for a few months is a 'regret' but $50 for 12 hours is just about right.

Very few people talk about whether the latest retail game is worth it (just whether it's good) but there's a lot of debate on $5 vs $10 vs $15 download games.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Blue_Gecko said:

Well, it depends on how you define fad. A large chunk of the 360 community has moved on from Halo: Reach for example.

Every game has a "shelf life." Some games last for a week, others a month. It is VERY rare for a game to become a true institution (Starcraft, TF2, etc).

If someone isn't playing Minecraft anymore, there is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean there's something wrong with Minecraft. I'm not actively playing 99% of the games I've purchased in my life.

owlbeak

Anyone else having major issues on the MP server right now where you can't break blocks? Well, they break but appear a few seconds later. I've been trying to dig out of a cave since last night and have made no progress. :lol

Metalic Sand said:
Exact same thing, Its not legit.

(edited because i sounded like a dick)

You're right, it is exactly the same thing.

However, the game's in alpha and I am having fun exploring different aspects right now, like building a house entirely out of pumpkins. When I want to explore the gameplay and appreciate the balance of object/mineral rarities, I do that on my main world.

I just thought it was interesting that even though using editors and exploiting bugs has the same exact effect on ruining gameplay balance, for some reason exploiting a bug -feels- qualitatively different. If you feel exactly the same way exploiting a bug as using an editor, I find that interesting too.

webrunner said:
Very few people talk about whether the latest retail game is worth it (just whether it's good) but there's a lot of debate on $5 vs $10 vs $15 download games.
I don't do retail, webrunner. I'm mainly a PC gamer, I spit on retail because it treats PC gamers like trash. Also the argument for/against Minecraft's worth really isn't applicable because Minecraft is in alpha and as such isn't even a completed game.

Though I think I understand your sentiment"

50 USD for 6 hours of Call of Duty: Black Ops singeplayer gameplay is "OK" but fuck [insert inexpensive but charming indie game] because I only played it for a few months. Though it might also have to do with the relative intelligence and quality measuring abilities of those who play more digitally distributed games, though I'll let someone else knock on that door and spread literature for the master race. :lol

GDJustin said:
Well, it depends on how you define fad. A large chunk of the 360 community has moved on from Halo: Reach for example.

Every game has a "shelf life." Some games last for a week, others a month. It is VERY rare for a game to become a true institution (Starcraft, TF2, etc).

If someone isn't playing Minecraft anymore, there is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean there's something wrong with Minecraft. I'm not actively playing 99% of the games I've purchased in my life.

I should probably reaffirm my view, because Minecraft is a great game, I've just been frustrated in my attempts to play it recently and thus it lost a lot of it's shine. Not trashing it completely, I think I just need to step back from it for awhile.

Minecraft is a great game. It is also a game that is still in alpha so it has plenty of time for improvement. I guess I just felt a bit like it burnt out quicker amongst my gaming group than I would have liked. It was definitely worth the purchase price (personally) as it is being improved all the time, I guess I just need to take a break from it until some needed changes are imlpemented to my mode of choice (SMP).

Salaadin

What exactly is the deal with Creepers? I routinely see them hopping around the roof of my base but once in a while, Ill just see one standing there completely still watching me walk by. Yesterday, I saw one splashing in a pool outside my base so I dug a path from deep underground, out and around to where he was. When I got there, he was no longer splashing. I turned around to see him standing directly behind the hole I just dug out, staring at me. He was only 3-4 blocks away and not doing a damn thing. I walked away and he never moved. Creepy.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Not A Fur said:
(edited because i sounded like a dick)

You're right, it is exactly the same thing.

However, the game's in alpha and I am having fun exploring different aspects right now, like building a house entirely out of pumpkins. When I want to explore the gameplay and appreciate the balance of object/mineral rarities, I do that on my main world.

I just thought it was interesting that even though using editors and exploiting bugs has the same exact effect on ruining gameplay balance, for some reason exploiting a bug -feels- qualitatively different. If you feel exactly the same way exploiting a bug as using an editor, I find that interesting too.

i'd say it is different, even if it is true games will almost always have bugs and people will always abuse them, its not on the same level as running a program in the background and/or altering game files so you become god. also if a bug is found by multiple people its the developer's job to patch. IMO

its not like your gonna do alt+F4 64+ times and if you do, hats off to you :lol

shadowcomplex said:
its not like your gonna do alt+F4 64+ times and if you do, hats off to you :lol

Heh, I definitely spent way too much time importing/exporting characters in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance to dupe up runes or crystals or stones or whatever they were that gave you the stat bonuses. It was like metagrinding.

itxaka

Defeatist
Has anyone seen the huge increase in power required by minecraft? My x4 at 3Ghz is at 50% CPU while playing.

I bet that is because of fucking java. I hate java.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
itxaka said:
Has anyone seen the huge increase in power required by minecraft? My x4 at 3Ghz is at 50% CPU while playing.

Haven't checked but i do crash alot more often.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Not A Fur said:
Heh, I definitely spent way too much time importing/exporting characters in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance to dupe up runes or crystals or stones or whatever they were that gave you the stat bonuses. It was like metagrinding.
:lol wouldn't it of taken less time to just go and find some runes or crystals?

itxaka said:

Metalic Sand said:
Haven't checked but i do crash alot more often.
i don't crash at all, i didn't notice anything, if anything i might of noticed an increase of frames. also i am able to run visual studio in the back ground just fine while chrome slowly sucks up all my ram and waiting for minecraft's night cycle to end.
also i am using an i5.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
webrunner said:
There's a weird sense recently when it comes to games.. a lot of people seem to think that it's not worth it to spend $10 on something even if they would spend $50 on less. $10 for a few months is a 'regret' but $50 for 12 hours is just about right.

Great example of dumb people.

Philthy

Horsebite said:
Anyone else having major issues on the MP server right now where you can't break blocks? Well, they break but appear a few seconds later. I've been trying to dig out of a cave since last night and have made no progress. :lol

I saw this last night. I also installed the tronic pack, so wasn't sure if that was causing it or not.. But either way, yeah, unless i slowed down breaking blocks they just reappeared. It wasn't like they do when it's lag. It was just weird. I left waiting for a fix.

Philthy said:
I saw this last night. I also installed the tronic pack, so wasn't sure if that was causing it or not.. But either way, yeah, unless i slowed down breaking blocks they just reappeared. It wasn't like they do when it's lag. It was just weird. I left waiting for a fix.

That's been happening to me for a while. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting will fix it. Sometimes I have to restart the Minecraft server app. Sometimes I have to reboot the server itself.

owlbeak

JLateralus said:
That's been happening to me for a while. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting will fix it. Sometimes I have to restart the Minecraft server app. Sometimes I have to reboot the server itself.
Every time I've connected for the past 3 days it's been doing it...it's awful I can't even be bothered to play.

On another note, here's an AWESOME 26min interview with Notch about any and everything Minecraft http://5by5.tv/pipeline/30

Haunted

Philthy said:
link?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Horsebite said:
On another note, here's an AWESOME 26min interview with Notch about any and everything Minecraft http://5by5.tv/pipeline/30

That was a really good interview. I really like this Notch. I'm glad I bought the game just to support him and his work ethic to be honest. If the game never grew past what it is right now, I'd still be satisfied with my purchase. I've spent more on so many meals, for so much less enjoyment...

Jintor

Blue_Gecko said:
I should probably reaffirm my view, because Minecraft is a great game, I've just been frustrated in my attempts to play it recently and thus it lost a lot of it's shine. Not trashing it completely, I think I just need to step back from it for awhile.

Minecraft is a great game. It is also a game that is still in alpha so it has plenty of time for improvement. I guess I just felt a bit like it burnt out quicker amongst my gaming group than I would have liked. It was definitely worth the purchase price (personally) as it is being improved all the time, I guess I just need to take a break from it until some needed changes are imlpemented to my mode of choice (SMP).

Yeah pretty much. Just chillax for a bit, man. For me, Minecraft is just something I dip in and out of while I build my incredi-castle or whatever.

owlbeak

Notch just tweeted that the block reappearing thing is a bug that's happening a lot in SMP and is going to have to "reduce the verification code" or something. Who knows, at least he is aware it's an issue.

I decided to do a quick bit of exploring while having my morning coffee. Built a boat and set off in a random direction. After a while I came across this interesting looking landscape ..

34hclll.png

So I decide to go to shore and check it out, and the first thing I find is this ..

2i8eruw.png

.. right there in broad daylight! The loot was 9 reeds, 1 wheat, 2 loafs of bread, 9 string, 2 iron ingots, 6 redstone dust, 3 pig saddles, the 2 containers that all came in, and best of all a mob spawner. Turned out to be a spider one as well, so free string for me from now on! Not bad for 10 minutes "work" :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom