• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, discussion seems to have died down somewhat since then - not everyone follows threads via subscription, so I imagine a fair portion of posters aren't even aware it's in the online forum now.

Rapstah

I don't even understand why it was moved to Online - there is a thread for discussion about the servers in Online already. While this thread had moved to gameplay discussion about the game, it was single player discussion.

UGH

Finally find 3 diamond, make my diamond pick and mine some obsidian, create a portal, take one step forward and fall about 20 blocks straight down into a pool of lava, lose a bunch of clay, bricks, my diamond pick, my flint and steel, a bunch of stone, a bunch of other stuff, my iron armor, etc. Try to go back for everything, but it all burned up. The portal takes me directly to my death.

C30cF.png

wtf
edit: plus my portal takes me into some random cave with no torches or picks, instead of back to my portal that I had created near my home.

(._.)

Banned
Lost about 15 minutes worth of work last night. Minecraft just started crashing on me. Not too bad of a setback I suppose.

The mods may as well move any game with multiplayer to this board. It's a shame seeing such little activity in my favorite gaming-side thread at NeoGAF.

ckohler

After watching some great tutorials, interested in playing this game. However, I need some questions answered first:
  • Can Minecraft server (like one I might run myself) able to deliver the full Minecraft Alpha Survival mode or is survival mode only in single-player? I'm confused about this. I'd hate to build an awesome world in single-player only to have been able to do it online with a friend.
  • When you pay the 9 Euros to own Alpha, how does it unlock the game? Do you get a code or what?
  • Do you have to save your game or what?
Thanks for listening to my newbie questions.

Blizzard

Banned
ckohler said:
After watching some great tutorials, interested in playing this game. However, I need some questions answered first:
  • Can Minecraft server (like one I might run myself) able to deliver the full Minecraft Alpha Survival mode or is survival mode only in single-player? I'm confused about this. I'd hate to build an awesome world in single-player only to have been able to do it online with a friend.
  • When you pay the 9 Euros to own Alpha, how does it unlock the game? Do you get a code or what?
  • Do you have to save your game or what?
Thanks for listening to my newbie questions.
I'll pass on answering #1 (I think you can copy a singleplayer world to multiplayer but others should have a better idea).

#2: You are able to use a website account at Minecraft.net to change your avatar and download the game executable. You can download it as many times as you want to whichever computer you want, and it will let you run it in offline mode after you run it once, in case you don't have access to the internet.

#3: Your game saves automatically, in theory. To be safe, you can press escape to get to the ingame menu, since I think the game autosaves there. To be really safe, you can occasionally save and exit to the main menu, then restart your game. To be super safe (probably a good idea since the game has bugs), you can manually zip up your save file directory, or have a program that makes a zip of it, every couple of days if you're doing a lot of work. That way, if something goes horribly corrupted, you can get back to it.

Atomski

Can Minecraft server (like one I might run myself) able to deliver the full Minecraft Alpha Survival mode or is survival mode only in single-player? I'm confused about this. I'd hate to build an awesome world in single-player only to have been able to do it online with a friend.
You can transfer your single player worlds to a server real easy (theres a world folder you can copy, I back mine up and put it on a server for friends to play quiet a bit)

A lot of single player stuff does not work in multiplayer yet though. You take no damage and neither do mobs. So its not much survival multiplayer yet. Notch is still working on that.

pirata

Wow, so this is where this thread went!

I didn't get any replies a while back when I asked for help with the obscurrence (or whatever it's called) mod or suggestions for texture packs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jasoco

Banned
I didn't even realize it had been moved. No wonder it's slow. Yeah, move it back where it belongs! This thread has so much less to do with online right now.

Wanace

What's the best way to mine Obsidian? Every time I've tried, I've ended up falling into lava and dying or the obsidian piece falls into the lava and I lose it. I've directed the water, then I am placing bricks all around to stop both the lava and water flow. around the obsidian block. Unfortunately usually right below the obsidian there is more lava. What should I do?

r1chard

Cryptozoologist said:
What's the best way to mine Obsidian? Every time I've tried, I've ended up falling into lava and dying or the obsidian piece falls into the lava and I lose it. I've directed the water, then I am placing bricks all around to stop both the lava and water flow. around the obsidian block. Unfortunately usually right below the obsidian there is more lava. What should I do?
Basically I do what you're doing, but with less immolation :)

One trick you might not be aware of is that you can fill up lava pools by dropping gravel cubes into it. Place them on the side of something at the top and they slide right to the bottom.

Jasoco

Banned
Question: I want to make some signs to put in my Nether "Inter-Biome Transportation Hub" area to help me remember where each portal takes me, will they catch on fire if I place them too close to fire/lava like wood does? I am very unfamiliar with signs as I've made a total of one once to try them out. Just curious if I have to keep them far away.

Cryptozoologist said:
I haven't tried this yet so I'm not sure how well it works, but my friend was doing something like this:

- pour water over the top of the pool to turn the surface to obsidian
- mine down beside the new obsidian on the edge of the pool
- any time you reveal lava, quickly pour water next to it so it turns to obsidian before it spreads
- repeat until you've converted as much visible lava as possible, then mine the outer layer and repeat

Or if you have enough buckets, you can scoop up the lava on top until there's only one layer left, then turn that, and put the lava you collected somewhere else in a single layer.

BooJoh

Jasoco said:
Question: I want to make some signs to put in my Nether "Inter-Biome Transportation Hub" area to help me remember where each portal takes me, will they catch on fire if I place them too close to fire/lava like wood does? I am very unfamiliar with signs as I've made a total of one once to try them out. Just curious if I have to keep them far away.
Not sure if they'll catch fire. I just slapped my signs directly on the obsidian of the portal (placing a sign on a wall will mount it on the wall with no post sticking down.)

Jasoco

Banned
BooJoh said:
Not sure if they'll catch fire. I just slapped my signs directly on the obsidian of the portal (placing a sign on a wall will mount it on the wall with no post sticking down.)
Well I want to put some of them on my special "Hell Street Lamps" which are simply hellstone two blocks high with fire on top.

BooJoh

Cryptozoologist said:
2010-11-14_220605.png

2010-11-14_221823.png

Obviously it doesn't have to be this elaborate, but you can build a mold, put buckets of lava in it, pour water over the lava (making sure you don't put the bucket of water directly into the lava, you want the flowing water to hit the lava) then mine the obsidian safely.

Just make sure you're in a location where the water flow won't push you into a nearby lava lake or something. I have my little portal factory built with a portal that goes near a lava lake in the nether, and a bunch of buckets in a box in the factory so I can grab them and go on a quick lava run.

Brashnir

rohlfinator said:
I haven't tried this yet so I'm not sure how well it works, but my friend was doing something like this:

- pour water over the top of the pool to turn the surface to obsidian
- mine down beside the new obsidian on the edge of the pool
- any time you reveal lava, quickly pour water next to it so it turns to obsidian before it spreads
- repeat until you've converted as much visible lava as possible, then mine the outer layer and repeat

Or if you have enough buckets, you can scoop up the lava on top until there's only one layer left, then turn that, and put the lava you collected somewhere else in a single layer.

I usually just make a water flow and stand in the water while I mine the obsidian.

Jasoco

Banned
Anyone else think it's weird that the watch wouldn't work in The Nether? It's not like the compass where it requires a source to point to, it's just a timer that would keep ticking no matter what.

Though I think it would be cool if time went faster in The Nether as well as just distance. You could spend 15 minutes in there and have 8 days have passed in the real world. Or something. I dunno.

Either way I think either the watch should work or time should go faster. Also, the game should have a calendar telling you how many days it's been since you started the game. Maybe it could also add years and have different things happen at different times. I dunno. Throwing ideas out there. Guess they'd work better if seasons were possible. I don't see why they couldn't though. Since chunks are loaded and unloaded all the time, just make them change when reloaded next time to whatever the current season is. Though I wonder if the seasons should be based on real-world time (i.e. right now it'd be fall.) or based on the aforementioned calendar year inside the game.

Jasoco

Banned
rohlfinator said:
Doesn't it take a lot longer to mine if it's under water? Or is that only when you're completely submerged?
Yes. You only go slower if you're actually under the water. i.e. when you are running out of air. If your head is above, you will mine just as fast as normal. Good for getting stuff near the surface.

Wanace

Took a boat a long way away, found a dungeon, lots of mossy cobblestones, got a shitload of coal, my first gold blocks, a lot of iron, fell into lava, died.

:( I hate this game sometimes.

cbox

my fortified island, this house has tunnels that go north, south, east and west under the river and my basement has a glass wall that holds back water so I get a nice underwater view. Love this game

javaw%202010-11-14%2023-29-05-49.jpg

webrunner

I am thinking of getting this to play with my girlfriend, but I'm trying to thinK; is there a way to do full survival (with monsters, health, etc) but easily share the world across the internet? Like, a cloud save? I know survivial MP isn't finished, but alpha survival is, and we dont have to play at the same time, but I'm wondering at least w can still collaborate on things. Or something? Is tehre some "virtual folder" cloud file sharing system which works on macs, maybe, that Minecraft can be tricked to point to?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Hell of it is, multiplayer rarely enters the equation for this thread. It's usually just people sharing their stories/screenshots of their personal kingdoms.

It's almost like the Mod's are just putting every permanent "game thread" into this forum to get them out of the way. My guess is that NeoGAF becomes more legit if it's only news in the Gaming Forum being discussed?

The Judge

webrunner said:
I am thinking of getting this to play with my girlfriend, but I'm trying to thinK; is there a way to do full survival (with monsters, health, etc) but easily share the world across the internet? Like, a cloud save? I know survivial MP isn't finished, but alpha survival is, and we dont have to play at the same time, but I'm wondering at least w can still collaborate on things. Or something? Is tehre some "virtual folder" cloud file sharing system which works on macs, maybe, that Minecraft can be tricked to point to?

I think what you're looking for is Dropbox. Should work if you share the "saves" folder of the game.

SToRM said:
So this is where the Minecraft topic went, I had to use google to find it.
georgc said:
Minecraft thread I've found you!!!!!! Why are you in here you silly topic?
webrunner said:
So what's going to happen to the Minecraft Multiplayer thread?
Horsebite said:
WTF is this thread doing here? Dumb dumb dumb decision.
ZZMitch said:
Someone should talk to a mod and get it moved back. This is totally lame.
ahoyhoy said:
Hell of it is, multiplayer rarely enters the equation for this thread. It's usually just people sharing their stories/screenshots of their personal kingdoms.

It's almost like the Mod's are just putting every permanent "game thread" into this forum to get them out of the way. My guess is that NeoGAF becomes more legit if it's only news in the Gaming Forum being discussed?

Before I actually send the PM I've written, has anyone already spoken to a moderator or administrator about this?

Brashnir

Making some progress on my Colisseum. The mining and leaf bugs in SMP have really been killing my motivation, so it has been slow going.

Exterior:

10nf0oh.jpg

Interior (Trees on the field are temporary)

28i85r6.png

Brashnir

>_< hate being the last post on a page. Sorry to double post, but yeah...

Making some progress on my Colisseum. The mining and leaf bugs in SMP have really been killing my motivation, so it has been slow going.

Exterior:

10nf0oh.jpg

Interior (Trees on the field are temporary)

28i85r6.png

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
very nice! Great detail.

I found a mapviewer that works with mac and have been enthralled with that recently. I totally forgot about some of my buildings until I opened the map up in this lol.

Screenshot2010-11-16at120058AM.png

Screenshot2010-11-16at120300AM.png

I started a new world to use the inventory editor with. I wanted to have some fun so I packed my inventory with dynamite and went about laying it down by the hundreds.
I had spent forever laying this huge field of dynamite several slabs thick and planed to at least double it when all of a sudden I hear "ssshhhk".

I look up and a damn creeper is staring me in the face. I do a backwards spin jump and run like hell move but only get a few feet before he explodes and sets off my dynamite field. The next 5 minutes consisted of endless explosions while my framerate dropped to nothing forcing me to stand there in frozen annoyance.
I think I'm gonna turn peaceful on in that world.

fresquito

Leunam said:
Big ass picture the first.
Big ass picture the second.
Big ass picture the last.
Some things clearly still need some work.

I think I'm going to go back and edit the colors. Not nearly vibrant enough for me but I just wanted to test out several mods at once.
I tried that texture pack but dropped it. It looks wonderfull in exteriors, but caves look like ass, because stone is almost white and all sense of beeing deep underground is broken.

Other than that, it looks fantastic.

Wanace

siddx said:
very nice! Great detail.

I found a mapviewer that works with mac and have been enthralled with that recently. I totally forgot about some of my buildings until I opened the map up in this lol.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/siddartha6/Screenshot2010-11-16at120058AM.png

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/siddartha6/Screenshot2010-11-16at120300AM.png

I started a new world to use the inventory editor with. I wanted to have some fun so I packed my inventory with dynamite and went about laying it down by the hundreds.
I had spent forever laying this huge field of dynamite several slabs thick and planed to at least double it when all of a sudden I hear "ssshhhk".

I look up and a damn creeper is staring me in the face. I do a backwards spin jump and run like hell move but only get a few feet before he explodes and sets off my dynamite field. The next 5 minutes consisted of endless explosions while my framerate dropped to nothing forcing me to stand there in frozen annoyance.
I think I'm gonna turn peaceful on in that world.

I want to download this but the link from the minecraft forums seems to be broken, do you have another link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom