• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Timan said:
Woot,

Hopefully the regulars will start coming back :( been empty the past 1-2 week(s)

I'm gonna be severely limiting how much time I spend on, myself. I've got a backlog to work through.

Sharp

Holy shit, this is a game? Pretty sure I need this now... unfortunately it's not worth buying until I get my laptop around Thanksgiving.

IceMarker

I'm trying to get back into Minecraft, but I think I'll wait for another update, I feel like Notch is gonna release something huge in the next month or so... Personally I think I'm a little burnt-out after all I've owned and played this game since Notch first released Indev a little over a year ago.

WEGGLES

Cereal KiIIer said:
I constructed a tunnel (above ground) that goes all the way from the spawn point to my base. It takes time but you only will need to do it once.
Excellent idea.

It'll probably take hours, but will be worth it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
funkmastergeneral said:
I guess it's because we're a "community"

or some shit.
its because we are too poplar.

if the person in charge thinks a thread spends too much time on page 1, its moved here. i guess the idea is for gaming to be more news focused.

Twig

Banned
It's more like, once a thread reaches a certain point, new people stop reading it and it becomes a sort of sub-community, where all the posters know each other or some shit. It becomes less about the news (as Pandaman stated) and more about the people playing the game.

Being such an online-focused game (even though it's not - just, a lot of people treat it that way) helps give that impression.

It's certainly nothing to complain about, though...

I think having an indie game on the front page is a good thing. I wouldn't have gotten into Minecraft if I didn't constantly see it, and finally want to see what it is all about.

HurricaneJesus said:
I think having an indie game on the front page is a good thing. I wouldn't have gotten into Minecraft if I didn't constantly see it, and finally want to see what it is all about.

Same here.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, that's a nice thing to have, but you get the same effect when there actually IS news, like when the halloween update hit, or when it went free to play for a weekend before that.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the logic, but uh... just visit both forums if it bothers you that much. Oh no one extra click whatevershallwedoooooo.

U:

N-Bomb

For those who have been using #Minecentral and not been happy with the lag, timeouts, etc, I've gotten new hardware I'll be installing tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully it'll alleviate some of these problems.

Moving from an old Sempron/1GB to an i3/4GB. yayyy

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Will my system run Minecraft??

Black Macbook
2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM

Will it run with no problems? My friend offered to buy me Minecraft for my b-day and I want to experience this so.....let me know.

Thanks.

xxracerxx said:
Will my system run Minecraft??

Black Macbook
2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM

Will it run with no problems? My friend offered to buy me Minecraft for my b-day and I want to experience this so.....let me know.

Thanks.

You -should- be able to... but the JVM kinda sucks on macs, I've had a lot of hitches on my Macbook Pro. I might just have too much bullshit installed/running though.

thespot84

N-Bomb said:
For those who have been using #Minecentral and not been happy with the lag, timeouts, etc, I've gotten new hardware I'll be installing tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully it'll alleviate some of these problems.

Moving from an old Sempron/1GB to an i3/4GB. yayyy

You'll likely experience the same problems, unless you have many people playing at the same time. The current iteration of the server/jar just plain sucks, I wouldn't hesitate to say the lag on my server doubled when Notch last updated. Just a heads up.

Jasoco

Banned
I just realized after mining for weeks since the update and digging a huge hole all the way to the bedrock that I now have 30,000 blocks of Cobblestone strewn across 9 (Out of 17) double chests completely full. Two full of dirt. One full of gravel. A whole shitload (Full double chest+) of clay. A bunch of Nether materials. Various other things.

I think I might have enough to start building now... :lol

I've even dug tunnels and bridges in the Nether connecting all four of my main portals together all connected to the central "Quarry Hub". They look amazing floating over the landscape and the lava lakes. One to the north and two to the south. Next I'll be adding east and west portals. My overworld is about 3 miles from south to north right now. I plan on making a 3 mile square area. I wish there was a way to check my players X, Y, Z coordinates so I could tell how far I've gone. Usually I just walk for a day and stop when I get somewhere awesome looking then create a portal, open Minutor and see where I am in the Nether and build tunnels and bridges back to my hub. Would be easier to make sure I have the right size if I could tell where I was.

WEGGLES

WEGGLES said:
Excellent idea.

It'll probably take hours, but will be worth it.
Bleeghgh. Can't do this.

Cartographer fucks up and gives a giant black square. So I'm not sure what direction to go from spawn to get to my base. :\ (It's not a straight line..)

Jasoco

Banned
There are other mapping programs out there. MCMap for one. I use Minutor on OS X. And I have minemap.jar that no longer works on my huge map. Also MinecraftMapDeleter.

Blizzard

Banned
I really hope he gets time to do the block-reappearing bug. That seems like one of the most frustrating to me since it makes me not want to mine much.

Brashnir

Blizzard said:
I really hope he gets time to do the block-reappearing bug. That seems like one of the most frustrating to me since it makes me not want to mine much.

yep. very discouraging to see it as status: NOT STARTED. It's by far the worst aspect of SMP right now. I can barely be bothered to log in anymore.

Brashnir said:
yep. very discouraging to see it as status: NOT STARTED. It's by far the worst aspect of SMP right now. I can barely be bothered to log in anymore.

It's encouraging to me to simply see it on the list. He'll get to it for next week's update.

Exano

Neo Member
There are also some hey0 plugins which temporarily fix the problem. At least, fix it to better than what it is now.

Blizzard said:
Same here, it's extremely frustrating and seems like it would be one of those "oh shit, gotta fix that NOW" type bugs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Question for you guys buildign these massive buildings.

Do you actually mine all the blocks or do you just use console commands or something to add to your inventory?

thespot84

DrForester said:

Do you actually mine all the blocks or do you just use console commands or something to add to your inventory?

For me, depends on the building and depends on the blocks i need. For instance, clay is pretty much non-existant in neoenogafland, so I spawned it with console commands, but the good majority of my house, except for iron and obisidian, was mined.

DrForester said:

I've mined for everything on my server -- the only thing we've spawned so far is TNT to make large-scale excavations quicker (since you can't harvest gunpowder yet).

Salaadin said:
What are the requirements for trees? Basically, will these 4 saplings grow:
My guess is not... I think you need at least two, maybe three blocks on each side of the sapling.

fresquito

Two is enough. I don't know about one. They take a lot of time to grow, though. Have patience.

Today I found a big mountain with a lava waterfall. I'm sad I have to leave that worl to start one anew in SMP. It's really beautiful.

ckohler

Salaadin said:
What are the requirements for trees? Basically, will these 4 saplings grow:

http://imgur.com/Ain2R.png

Is there enough space?
The wiki has good articles on Growing Trees and tactics for Tree farming. Apparently, trees will grow as long as there is enough light and a block of soil beneath. Spacing isn't a big deal.

However, something important I've learned is that trees will only grow if they are planted on a chunk of the map that is currently loaded into memory. If you move too far away from your farm the trees are basically in suspended animation. Unfortunately, I can't tell how far that is.

Minecraft is crashing every five minutes (completely freezing, must be terminated by task manager). Its using 1.5 Gig of RAM. I'm not building anything daft, just tunnelling through the Nether and trying to build a moderately-sized snow castle.

How much RAM is it meant to be using?

N-Bomb

9B2M.Screen%20shot%202010-11-21%20at%206.46.30%20PM.jpg

Currently working on city walls. Tried to make them somewhat historically accurate/realistic with regards to height/depth.

When done, they should look something like this mockup:
EKzw.Screen%20shot%202010-11-21%20at%206.47.01%20PM.jpg

Unrealistic things I'm including are a sealed aqueduct and a passageway within the wall. Wish I had planned out the gate a bit better. Ah well.

Located near the end of the South Road, south of Edo 2.0 on our server minecentral. (sorry about the imgs being so wide :\ )

Brashnir

DrForester said:

I was mining everything myself until the block-reappearing bug, then I started spawning the blocks.

Then I stopped playing because I didn't like spawning blocks.

thespot84

DrForester said:
How would I go about using console commands on my own world? Ready to try buidling massive things.

you'll need to be running minecraft server, though you can run it locally for yourself (just install and point your minecraft client so 127.0.0.1.

Once there the !give <blocknumber> <quantity> command should work nicely (might be /give, i'm not sure of the handle in vanilla server, since we use a mod on neoneogafland)

Block numbers can be found on the minecraft wiki. Look for the dec values.

Jasoco

Banned
Or you could spend the time actually mining instead of spawning everything into existence.

23tjfvk.jpg

All by hand, baby. Went through many a pick-axe. Now have 30,000 blocks of Cobblestone.

ZZMitch

PC Gamer Minecraft diary. Rules: You die, you delete the world.

I’m definitely going to add hardcore mode to the game where dying will destroy the world. I’m not sure how it would work in multiplayer, though.. Perhaps you could get “banned” from the server until the world resets if you die on a server running hardcore mode.

From Notch's blog. There is a link to PC gamer on it, but I can't click it because it is blocked at my location. Sounds interesting, though.

Wanace

Jasoco said:
Or you could spend the time actually mining instead of spawning everything into existence.

23tjfvk.jpg

All by hand, baby. Went through many a pick-axe. Now have 30,000 blocks of Cobblestone.

What are you planning on doing with that hole? :D

I had something similar going on my world but I started over in favor of something more homey on the beach. Just a simple cabin with a dock, a deck, and a nice view of the sunset. With a sizable basement for all my workshop needs :)

MNC

ZZMitch said:
From Notch's blog. There is a link to PC gamer on it, but I can't click it because it is blocked at my location. Sounds interesting, though.
Why wouldn't he just disable it from multiplayer.

Twig

Banned
ckohler said:
When the next update is posted, do I need to redownload the stand alone client or does it update itself?
Sometimes you have to redownload, but usually you don't.

He'll probably say on his blog or whatever.

Twig

Banned
r1chard said:
I haven't had to redownload since I started playing a couple of months ago - I guess the updating mechanism has stabilised...
I had to redownload twice, I think. I don't remember which updates, but he explicitly told us to redownload. It's not a normal thing.

Jasoco

Banned
Cryptozoologist said:
What are you planning on doing with that hole? :D

I had something similar going on my world but I started over in favor of something more homey on the beach. Just a simple cabin with a dock, a deck, and a nice view of the sunset. With a sizable basement for all my workshop needs :)
It's just a quarry. And as I need more stone, it'll become bigger.. and bigger.. and bigger. It's right next to my spawn, but not where I plan on building all my cool castles and bridges and towers.

You should see the tunnels and bridges I built in the Nether...
2urvwgz.jpg

r1chard

Jasoco said:
It's just a quarry. And as I need more stone, it'll become bigger.. and bigger.. and bigger. It's right next to my spawn, but not where I plan on building all my cool castles and bridges and towers.

You should see the tunnels and bridges I built in the Nether...
2urvwgz.jpg
I'm building exclusively with stone in the Nether... having grown quite tired of having my constructions blasted away :)

Wanace

How do I install texture packs? I downloaded one and put it in the texturepacks folder but nothing happens when I click on the button in the game to switch textures, only the default appears. I googled it and saw something about dragging files to the .jar or something, that sounds too complex and I don't want to fuck up my game, is there an easy way to switch textures around without troubles?

kottila

Cryptozoologist said:
How do I install texture packs? I downloaded one and put it in the texturepacks folder but nothing happens when I click on the button in the game to switch textures, only the default appears. I googled it and saw something about dragging files to the .jar or something, that sounds too complex and I don't want to fuck up my game, is there an easy way to switch textures around without troubles?

Using the In-Game Texture Pack Selector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom