• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuran

Banned
minecraft1.png

minecraft2.png

Played for about five hours straight... I have to go to sleep or my GF will kill me, but otherwise I would have just kept on trucking... basically that whole mountain is hollow, and has four entryways.. one of them secret. Planning to build a huge highway bridge to the other mountain.. and also to make that cross a little bit smaller, its kindof big.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So I constructed what I am referring to as Pinnacle Tower, this evening:

minecraft-tower-1.png

minecraft-tower-2.png

It's scraping the skybox - this is as tall as the game would let me make it. Construction was surprisingly smooth/easy. The tower is 4x3, with a hollow shaft in the middle with a ladder. Although I will admit inching out over the edge over and over to enlarge the top was quite a bit more terrifying than normal.

Although construction went smoothly, like everything in Minecraft, it ended up being a bigger project than I anticipated. Each level has exactly 10 blocks, which had to be cooked in a furnace w/ coal to make them smooth. Each level also as a ladder, which adds up to a huge amount of wood.

Overall, very happy with how it turned out. My only regret is that I didn't place any torches on the outside.

Some more shots of the structure, + the view from the top:

minecraft-tower-3.png

minecraft-tower-4.png

minecraft-tower-5.png

minecraft-tower-6.png

notes:

- SMOOTH (cooked) cobblestone used for construction. Really not fond of the default cobblestone texture and won't use it for any of my structures.

- Biggest stumbling block was misjudging not the amount of stone needed, but the amount of wood, for all the ladders. Ran out, collected a ton, and run out again.

- In the night shot looking down, you can see the original "beacon" I made for my base, floating in the air. How quaint it seems now!

- Sadly lost track of the amount of smooth stone used. The thin layers are 10 stone each, so probably about ~200 for the shaft alone?

Kritz

Banned
It's Kritz's bad picture party time!

My first major undertaking in Minecraft that does not involve digging in a mine for infinity:

building1.png

Making a big house.

building2.png

The building plan has pretty much been 'place shit where-ever and it'll sort itself out, probably.

building4.png

I've found that using a lot of glass really improves the look of houses, and it's making me rely less on torches to give a more natural lighting.

building6.png

The 'bottom' floor at the moment - very not finished, as I'm saving all my wood and stone for the upper areas. I've also discovered that putting grass and light in your house is a great way to get animals to spawn, so I think eventually I might convert the bottom floor into a livestock area. I also really want to put some lava below the floor and use a mix of glass to give the room a really great glow, then maybe have the lava pour out of the mountain that my home occupies.

building7.png

I've been maintaining a small tree farm as well, which gives the only non-cliff face area of my hill some more character. I'm also planning to improve how the house looks from the outside, as it's a bit messy with all the torches at random levels. Will likely be a case of just needing to add more glass to make it a bit more unified.

building8.png

Oh, and the view is very empowering.

building9.png

And at that, I realised I have accidentally made it so the sun rising will be the first thing viewable from inside the house.

building10.png

Which compliments this little 'viewing room' I've been making. I've been considering removing the glass here so as to not obstruct anything, but I'm worried I'll one day fall off to my death.

The whole thing isn't as monolithic as some of the awesome castles and stuff people have made, but hopefully I'll get the time to expand it and turn it into something really cool. I'm planning to make a bridge between the mountain I've set up on, and a not too distant mountain that isn't in a single one of the screenshots, somehow.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'm jealous when looking at the pictures and stories you guys post, as I don't have nearly as much imagination when designing buildings. My stuff so far has been square towers.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Osaka said:
I'm jealous when looking at the pictures and stories you guys post, as I don't have nearly as much imagination when designing buildings. My stuff so far has been square towers.

I'm jealous cause I can't get the game :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Man said:
Why not? It's a Paypal payment away.

I'm not sure actually, Paypal just said I can't use my credit card. Most likely it's cause I'm in Japan using an American Debit card.

Sanic

wow, I remember playing a version of this probably over a year ago. It's come a long way! Looking forward to purchasing it tonight :D

MNC

The shit in this thread is amazing. Anyway, I'm been trying to mine a little room under the floor, but it takes fucking long. I think I'll just make one above the ground :D

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
MNC said:
The shit in this thread is amazing. Anyway, I'm been trying to mine a little room under the floor, but it takes fucking long. I think I'll just make one above the ground :D
Mining rooms usually take less time for me.. are you using a pickaxe?

MNC

I'm using an iron pickaxe, but I want to hollow out a big room + find some iron ore while I'm at it, which isn't exactly succeeding.

_Bro

Banned
sprsk, I'm pretty sure you can just pay directly with your card. I don't remember going through paypal when I bought the game.

How does the water system work? I'm trying to make a moat and soon underwater glass bubble but I just don't get this system.

I just really started this, after reading the guide to making workbenches and torches. I didn't think this game would have a huge appeal to me other than it being different, but I can now really see how awesome it really is. So glad I bought this.

GDJustin

nataku said:
Is that an octagonal tower? How would you make something like that?

It looks like it just appears to be. Four of the sides are oriented in the four cardinal directions obviously. The other four, the diagonal four, are made with zig-zagging blocks and aren't straight.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm feeling a little burned out now. Like i've slowly done everything over the past 3/4 months.

Guys give me some shit to do so i can stay up till 3am playing this.

GDJustin

Cindres said:
I'm feeling a little burned out now. Like i've slowly done everything over the past 3/4 months.

Guys give me some shit to do so i can stay up till 3am playing this.

My next new world, after I eventually get bored, is to contruct a massive Yggdrasil-style tree. You can build trees on top of trees by placing one square of dirt nestled in the leaves and planting a new tree there.

I'll carve out paths in the leaves with wood and glass to prevent them from regrowing, and dot torches everywhere. It won't have a set layout and will just grow organically.

It should look epic. It does in my head, anyway.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Cindres said:
Underwater glass house town/city! Great idea. Now that will occupy me :D

Please write up when you've had some progress, I'd want to try this but I don't really know a safe way.

_Bro

Banned
GDJustin said:
My next new world, after I eventually get bored, is to contruct a massive Yggdrasil-style tree. You can build trees on top of trees by placing one square of dirt nestled in the leaves and planting a new tree there.

I'll carve out paths in the leaves with wood and glass to prevent them from regrowing, and dot torches everywhere. It won't have a set layout and will just grow organically.

And then light it all on fire?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
GDJustin said:

I was thinking of doing this, by just growing a tree on top a tree, then gathering a huge bunch of the log blocks and then artificially making the tree trunk immensely wide, then carve a tower inside it and make stuff on brances. :lol

Would start off as low as possible, then keep growing it a fuckton. This could take weeks worth of playtime but I think the end result would be epic.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Osaka said:
Please write up when you've had some progress, I'd want to try this but I don't really know a safe way.

A good guide was posted, i'll screenshot along the way.

EDIT: Growing trees for specific reasons can go tits up these days, after he changed the tree growing code to make really fucking weird trees.

GDJustin said:

This sounds fantastic.

I just got this game a few hours ago, and it's some of the most fun I've had in a long time :D

Just built my first home!

rDIbt.png

Automatic steel door, crafting corner, it's got everything I need. That roof isn't stone, it's WOOL :lol
It's set at an easy point for me to keep coming back to during my mining expeditions.

QoZ2V.png

My underground skylight, my steps outward, and the waterfall I made by dragging a river down with me :lol
(I used the river to mark my path down for easy reminders, I've even joined a couple rivers :D )

OQBMh.png

Inside the home, I've got my books to keep me busy during those long nights...

VMbv2.png

...as well as my treasure chest(filled with snowballs and flowers :D ).
The ladder is the only way to reach the roof.

As I get farther along, I'm hoping to add some boats to make the trip down a lot easier, as well as some flowers and trees to spruce the place up :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Speaking of bookshelves, the minecraft dude sure is creative, as he first makes the paper for the books, then WRITES them, just to have some bookshelves in his home :lol

EVH

Holy shit I found the biggest cave ever.

I'm thinking on calling to National Geographic or some shit to explore that, because there are miles of caves right there.

Holy shit guys this game is awesome.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
EVH said:

I'm thinking on calling to National Geographic or some shit to explore that, because there are miles of caves right there.

Watch out for the creepers...

Man

I smell a gaf top-ten goty lister.

I haven't played Dwarf fortress before but this game is such a fresh new core experience to me.

It's relatively easy to create new type of standalone games but a new type of genre that can become the breeding ground for heaps of core games into infinity? I mean, in the title of this thread alone there is references to earlier games with similar aspects so it's hard to call this the first. I've played some myself like Dungeon Keeper, Holy badman and whatnot but Minecraft has really hit me like it's the breakthrough title.

I want this to become a new sub genre like arpg or turn-based strategy or whatever. Call it craft-rpg or crpg or something.

I wish I won the lottery so I could quit my job and play and mod and tweak this game for the rest of the year.

MNC

EVH said:

Take some screenies!

I have yet to encounter a cave.. Maybe I need to reroll.... BUT I DON'T WANNA

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
Take some screenies!

I have yet to encounter a cave.. Maybe I need to reroll.... BUT I DON'T WANNA
I don't understand why you people can't just run like five worlds at once. :p Rerolling doesn't mean you lose the original! You should even be able to delete the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom