• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

DrForester said:
I don't consider that cheating at all. You should be able to change it by default, or build something to change it.

That would be cool, like a bed or something. Needs to be hard to make, though.

edit- my game just glitched out and I lost a full stack of brick and other stuff. FML.

Zaphod

I've been using lava to take out creepers and other baddies. On the server I play on we knew the creeperpocolypse was coming so we tried to lay out as many torches as possible throughout our large territory and use lit skyway over dangerous territory but the frontier can suffer from creeper attacks now and then. Lava is proving to be a useful wall since weapons are not very effective right now. It also works like a slow grenade by throwing a bucket full on the ground when running away.

slowly but surely, i'm beginning to understand this game.

vaI88.png

tonight, i shall craft. for tomorrow, i mine.

Quixzlizx

I didn't even know the community forum existed until someone in Gaming linked to the Steam Pack thread... I had wondered where this thread had gone :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
I didn't even know the community forum existed until someone in Gaming linked to the Steam Pack thread... I had wondered where this thread had gone :lol
Maybe now that we're advertised in the GT5 official thread title, we will actually have posts in here again. :lol

minecraft wiki seems to be down, so i'll ask here.

can i mine redstone with an iron axe, or will that not work? also, is the furnace broken in multiplayer? i think it just ate a ton of my iron/coal :(

IceMarker

autobzooty said:
can i mine redstone with an iron axe, or will that not work? also, is the furnace broken in multiplayer? i think it just ate a ton of my iron/coal :(
Redstone can be mined with an Iron or Diamond pickaxe.

The furnace is not broken in SMP, just severely bugged by client/server desyncs. My recommendation is to take it slow and only load in a little bit of coal and whatever you wanna smelt at a time. Also, frequently close and re-open the furnace window to make sure your client stays in sync with the server.

MrMister said:
Redstone can be mined with an Iron or Diamond pickaxe.

The furnace is not broken in SMP, just severely bugged by client/server desyncs. My recommendation is to take it slow and only load in a little bit of coal and whatever you wanna smelt at a time. Also, frequently close and re-open the furnace window to make sure your client stays in sync with the server.

thanks for the tip!

i just found my first patch of diamond!! this is a momentous occasion for me! can i break that with an iron axe too, or will i need something stronger? i'd hate to just destroy it for nothing.

fresquito

Does The Nether work in SMP? I haven't tried entering yet, but I wonder if there is the chance to enter The Nether, and whether it can cause some problems.

Brashnir

autobzooty said:
thanks for the tip!

i just found my first patch of diamond!! this is a momentous occasion for me! can i break that with an iron axe too, or will i need something stronger? i'd hate to just destroy it for nothing.

Iron is good for mining diamonds.

ckohler

I'm considering moving from a single-player world to running my own private multiplayer world, that way my friends might be able to join and I can access my world from anywhere. I do have a couple of questions:

1) How does the difficulty setting affect multiplayer? For example, if I set my difficulty to "peaceful" and someone else sets theirs to "normal", are there still hostile mobs?

2) What features are currently missing from multiplayer? I know they added a ton recently but what's still missing?

3) Do you think this is a good idea or should I stick with single-player?

IceMarker

ckohler said:
I'm considering moving from a single-player world to running my own private multiplayer world, that way my friends might be able to join and I can access my world from anywhere. I do have a couple of questions:

1) How does the difficulty setting affect multiplayer? For example, if I set my difficulty to "peaceful" and someone else sets theirs to "normal", are there still hostile mobs?

2) What features are currently missing from multiplayer? I know they added a ton recently but what's still missing?

1) The difficulty setting only affects you. There is a bit of a bug related to peaceful though: if hostile Mobs are active on a server hostile mobs will spawn for everyone and the people with peaceful won't see them at all.

2) You can't see armor on other players, arrows from Skeletons or other Players cannot be seen, paintings cannot be seen by other players and if destroyed can't be recovered, and everything is in a general buggy state. SMP is almost complete feature-wise compared to SP, but everything is just really buggy due to constant client/server desyncs and some unfinished code.

3) SMP, despite all the bugs and some few remaining missing features, is actually very playable still and finally doesn't feel like Creative Mode 2.0. I suggest you start playing on a private server with a friend though as public servers tend to have trigger happy mods and griefers.

fresquito

ckohler said:

I started a server last week and I've been having a blast. Yes, it's buggy, but playing with your friends is more than enough to compensate.

Hylian7

fresquito said:
Does The Nether work in SMP? I haven't tried entering yet, but I wonder if there is the chance to enter The Nether, and whether it can cause some problems.
The portal lights, but it doesn't take you anywhere.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
autobzooty said:
slowly but surely, i'm beginning to understand this game.

vaI88.png

tonight, i shall craft. for tomorrow, i mine.
Building outside at night, and mining during the day? Not sure you understand as well as you think you do. :D

Sblargh

Banned
Game won't stop freezing. :(
I updated graphic card, reinstalled Java a million times, tried every possible combination of render distance.
It just freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+delete it.
This sucks so much, gah, I love this game.

seb

Banned
WTF, I had lost this thread. Why move it ? What's the reasoning for that ? Make more room for the FM3 vs. GT5 troll fest ? Anyway, it's good to be home.

Sorry if that has been asked before: are the ambient occlusion/better grass patches working with the latest version ? Do they integrate with the theme selector ?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
seb said:
WTF, I had lost this thread. Why move it ? What's the reasoning for that ? Make more room for the FM3 vs. GT5 troll fest ? Anyway, it's good to be home.

To be fair, there were legitimate comparisons to GT5 and Minecraft. Lets not forget those "ingame" shots Notch showed off before it was playable to public.

wyoming-rocky-mountains.jpg

Atomski

My game tends to crash after a while if I use far distance. Anyone know a work around for this? Even at normal the distance seems to short. Heck if I could Id want to see 3 times the distance. It would be so purdy.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
hey guys i have problem, i was gonna play minecraft for a bit since i am just to stressed out and this happens
idkAiW.PNG

can someone explain wtf is going on and why is minecraft lagging so much =(

also
i know its been a while since i came to this thread, been busy with tests and all =(

edit:
nvm i fixed it. i just had to restart my computer =/

Atomski said:
My game tends to crash after a while if I use far distance. Anyone know a work around for this? Even at normal the distance seems to short. Heck if I could Id want to see 3 times the distance. It would be so purdy.

this might help =)

Sblargh

Banned
shadowcomplex said:
hey guys i have problem, i was gonna play minecraft for a bit since i am just to stressed out and this happens
idkAiW.PNG

can someone explain wtf is going on and why is minecraft lagging so much =(

also
i know its been a while since i came to this thread, been busy with tests and all =(

edit:
nvm i fixed it. i just had to restart my computer =/

this might help =)

I think this solved my problem!!!!!
Who would have thought that this PC game made entirely by one person would have compatibility problems of some kind.

rexor0717

How do you delete a server that you've made? The current one I have is shitty, and I want to start again, but I can't seem to delete the previous world.

Krelian

rexor0717 said:
How do you delete a server that you've made? The current one I have is shitty, and I want to start again, but I can't seem to delete the previous world.
You stop the server and delete the world. The default name is "world" and it should be in the same directory as the server. If in doubt look up the name in your server.properties file.

thespot84

So I just got killed by a creeper on NeoNeoGafland. Now is the time to start discussing where to take the server. A few key discussion points.

1.) Hosting. My connection is good (3-4mbits) but the server I'm running is middle-of-the-road. If there are plans for expansion we should consider a third party.

2.) Continuity. Should we keep the current world and just build around it? PatzCU joked that what's there now would be like ancient structures from a lost civilization. We can also try to move spawn on the current world farther away to promote new building, or we could start over entirely, which would produce more biome variance.

3.) Biome variance. If we start fresh, I believe there's a tool to determine how large the biomes are in new worlds, so we should discuss.

4.) Spawning. With damage/mobs working we should discuss getting rid of spawning entirely. I think this will promote more cooperation on the server as it's more efficient for people to share the safety of one large building than build many small once, making for a more city like feel, rather than a free-for-all.

Hopefully we can come to compromise on all these things, I'll leave it to the community to decide. In the meantime I'm just going to leave the current server as is.

Inkwell

Banned
I just finished my Myst project on the server around the time all the problems started :(. There's a lot of great stuff will be lost like the dwarven city or Vlad's hole. If you decide to start a new world will you put the old one up for download somewhere? I'm actually mixed on the issue because I think a fresh start with biomes could be good.

Unless everything to do with mobs is working perfectly, I say we disable them.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
thespot84 said:
4.) Spawning. With damage/mobs working we should discuss getting rid of spawning entirely. I think this will promote more cooperation on the server as it's more efficient for people to share the safety of one large building than build many small once, making for a more city like feel, rather than a free-for-all.
Yes.

Pandaman said:

I was going to say the same thing. I wanted to be active on the MP server, but I felt overwhelmed and didn't know what to do. I think moving the spawn or starting fresh coupled with this could wield similarly spectacular results.

But, as I'm not a current member of GAFland, take my opinion lightly :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wouldn't mind a fresh start. Certainly our current server wasn't built with survival in mind. I'll certainly miss some of the larger projects like the stadium, the pyramid, and vlad's hole, but I think we all built that stuff knowing it all was temporary anyway. Plus it seemed like people were losing interest, and I think starting fresh would revitalize the gaf Minecraft scene. Just save the map and put it up for download. You might have a couple people use it as an SP server, maybe jhriad will finish his acropolis that way.

I think instituting a no-spawn rule for everything but certain unobtainable items makes sense too. Maybe limit the number of blues on the server. Keep biome variance at default. As for hosting, I think that's all your decision spot. I certainly wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to pay for the server.

Twig

Banned
What's the point of Minecraft without the danger?

There isn't one.

EDIT: Misinterpreted the conversation because I am a dumb. :D

Still, I stand by what I said, even if it's irrelevant!

thespot84

Inkwell said:
I just finished my Myst project on the server around the time all the problems started :(. There's a lot of great stuff will be lost like the dwarven city or Vlad's hole. If you decide to start a new world will you put the old one up for download somewhere? I'm actually mixed on the issue because I think a fresh start with biomes could be good.

Unless everything to do with mobs is working perfectly, I say we disable them.

Whatever happens I'll definitely make a backup available.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MNC said:
So what if you die in the server then?
spawning blocks or items.

basically means whatever you build with is something someone mined or harvested at some point. means you wont be running off to build a supertower in the middle of nowhere because resources will be scare and dying risks losing them.

a city focused server would be awesome. superfortress gafland where we hold out against the endless hordes.

Vlad

thespot84 said:
2.) Continuity. Should we keep the current world and just build around it? PatzCU joked that what's there now would be like ancient structures from a lost civilization. We can also try to move spawn on the current world farther away to promote new building, or we could start over entirely, which would produce more biome variance.

Honestly, I'm of two minds about it. I love having a "safe" building area just to mess around in and where people just build insane projects, but I would also like to play straight survival in a new world at times, too.

There's just so much awesome stuff on the current server to just kill it, but I don't know if the Minecraft community here is large enough to sustain two servers, either.

3.) Biome variance. If we start fresh, I believe there's a tool to determine how large the biomes are in new worlds, so we should discuss.

From what I've messed around with in SP, I think the biome size is large enough as-is. I've come across a few large-ish ones, and they seem to be scattered enough.

Exactly why I'm not a huge fan of the idea of monsters on the current map. Nobody designed their stuff with monsters (or night, for that matter) in mind. I'm in total agreement that spawning should be completely abolished in a survival setting.

ZealousD said:
I wouldn't mind a fresh start. Certainly our current server wasn't built with survival in mind. I'll certainly miss some of the larger projects like the stadium, the pyramid, and vlad's hole, but I think we all built that stuff knowing it all was temporary anyway. Plus it seemed like people were losing interest, and I think starting fresh would revitalize the gaf Minecraft scene. Just save the map and put it up for download. You might have a couple people use it as an SP server, maybe jhriad will finish his acropolis that way.

I don't know if people were losing interest per se, but MP's been kind of broken ever since the Halloween patch. Having blocks not staying gone after digging or disappearing after placing them pretty much brought all the construction to a halt, as far as I can tell. Even now, the performance isn't anywhere close to what it used to be. Every time a patch comes out, I log on and look around to see if things work better, but things still don't work right. The chunks seem to load WAY slower, and the game ends up getting super choppy every so often. I'm thinking that interest should pick back up once things smooth out.

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully things do smooth out. This thread does not get a lot of posts anymore, and Minecraft sales have slowed down, but over the last few days it looks like Notch has been working pretty hard to fix and track bugs. It looks like the semi-office environment with other people to help is actually getting things done. :)

Vlad

Blizzard said:
Hopefully things do smooth out. This thread does not get a lot of posts anymore, and Minecraft sales have slowed down, but over the last few days it looks like Notch has been working pretty hard to fix and track bugs. It looks like the semi-office environment with other people to help is actually getting things done. :)

There's a few reasons for this, I'm guessing:

I think the biggest reason is that a lot of the newness has worn off. After spending hours and hours in the game, both MP and SP, I got a little burned out. The addition of the Nether to SP was nice, but having dabbled in plenty of minecarts and large-scale buildings there, I'm a little burned out until we start getting new additions there. If MP was working properly, I'd be hopping on the server more, but at the moment it's more frustrating than anything else.

As far as sales, I'm thinking that a lot of the people who were going to buy Minecraft in its current state already have. I'm thinking that once the SP additions start rolling in then sales will pick up.

I'm also guessing that moving this thread to the Online form for whatever bizarre reason has also helped to kill the discussion.

KiKaL

Blizzard said:

I think it also has to do with it being in the community board. A lot of the topics I would check often got moved here and I just kind of forgot about their existence. I'm trying to use the subscription feature but I'm still not in the habit to check it.

ZZMitch

Vlad said:
I'm also guessing that moving this thread to the Online form for whatever bizarre reason has also helped to kill the discussion.

Yeah, this was my favorite thread too :(

Now it gets five posts a day on average...

Twig

Banned
More like: mad rush over game is finally waning and people are losing interest. Might be a few people who don't know how to click "Community", but they're the minority, not the majority.

Jasoco

Banned
I just use the Subscriptions page to figure out what topics are still going. I don't even know what forum the threads were originally in half the time. I even turned off email subscriptions because they became unneeded.

<3 subscription.php

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
I just use the Subscriptions page to figure out what topics are still going. I don't even know what forum the threads were originally in half the time. I even turned off email subscriptions because they became unneeded.

<3 subscription.php
Yeah me too. :smug

Atomski

Ive been getting a little bit bored. I built myself a nice place and explored a ton.

Feels like the game needs some new content.

Jasoco said:

<3 subscription.php

These forums are too cluttered to not be using the subscription feature. There is so much uninteresting shit to sift through. Subscriptions keep the 'communities' I frequent easy to find and access.

Here is some of my stuff, can click the pictures to see larger ones.

Found this interesting box canyon while I was out exploring one day:

Decided to build a house there under a giant tree:

Also wanted some TNT to play around with so I built this mob tower/trap (Where I got the design from: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55552 )

Can get around 1000 gunpowder from it in about 8 hours.

Decided to hollow out a large area under my house with all my TNT and build some large catacombs, not sure what else I'm going to do down there but I plan on making it larger.

So, I bought this game. Started mining, and really haven't found much. I just keep digging and digging. How far down do I have to dig to find good resources?

Also, how do I craft torches or shovels or pickaxes?

Or maybe this is a better question: What is the best way to start this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom