• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

-Yeti said:
How far down do I have to dig to find good resources?
To answer this very specific question: dig down until you can't dig any more. Then go back up about 10-15 blocks and dig horizontally. That's where all the good stuff is :)

Sumidor

I love reading this thread.. And I hadn't read it in a while.. Then I finally realized it wasn't in the Gaming section anymore.. Sneaky bastards.

Jasoco said:
Pfft, TNT. Real men do it the old fashioned way with hundreds of pickaxes and shovels. (Mainly because I play Peaceful and don't have Creepers to give me TNT fuel and I don't believe in spawning items.)

Also, I like your big tree. How did you do it? And that item spawning trap is neat. I should look into that when I decide to play on normal.

After digging a 30x30 square about 10 blocks deep I could keep it up! Plus I love blowing stuff up, and I only killed myself twice! :lol

I discovered putting a 3 block high pile of dirt next to a sapling would cause a tree that had branches to grow about 95% of the time, but it does take the trees longer to grow normally.
339j0x4.jpg

Then once I got a big tree I would just dig out the center leaves at the top, place a block of dirt for the sapling and place three more dirt blocks next to that sapling. Think I have about 4 trees as the base and just started growing them on top of each other.

Jasoco

Banned
WolfofMebu said:
After digging a 30x30 square about 10 blocks deep I could keep it up! Plus I love blowing stuff up, and I only killed myself twice! :lol
I dug a 20x17 hole all the way from the surface to the bedrock. All by myself. And I'm still going. I have 20,000 pieces of Cobblestone.

Found the weirdest chunk error on my server today. Went straight through an area already populated and built on, straight through my mountainside lair. I lost all the arrows I had stocked up from the glitch :lol but that was it. Other people lost a lot more. But without further adieu:

Nw9t2l.jpg

HdI40l.jpg

YvtCbl.jpg

The area is now referred to as Notch's Asshole

Jasoco

Banned
Damn. The drawback to that is you didn't get to keep all the tasty cobblestone contained within. Otherwise, aside from the sand and water, it looks like my quarry. :lol

fresquito

My castle is half done. It's beautiful when the idea you once had begins to begin to form in front of your eyes. Still, I did some decisions that have proven to be a pain in the ass, but they look wonderful, so I won't complain too much. I'll post some pics when I finish it.

SMP is where it is at. I mean, I can connect from any computer and play my game, and I get to meet my friends and discover what they're coming with and we can explore caves and what not. I really love this game.

So I'm finally getting the hang of this game, but I still can't even imagine building some of the creations I see on youtube and stuff. It's insane what some people can build. I even saw a freaking 16-bit computer haha.

But anyway, about mining: I found some stone with red cracks in it and I tried mining it, but nothing came out. I don't really know exactly what it's used for, but it looks useful.

fresquito

-Yeti said:
So I'm finally getting the hang of this game, but I still can't even imagine building some of the creations I see on youtube and stuff. It's insane what some people can build. I even saw a freaking 16-bit computer haha.

But anyway, about mining: I found some stone with red cracks in it and I tried mining it, but nothing came out. I don't really know exactly what it's used for, but it looks useful.
You need an iron (or above) pickaxe. That's redstone, and it's like some kind of cable.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New update today. This part interests me:

* Added lakes and rare lava pools, both on the surface and randomly in caves.

It sounds like lava lakes will be able to spawn on the surface now, and even inside caves at any level. Sounds cool, not sure I like it though. Underground lakes also sounds neat.

Vlad

Mengy said:
New update today. This part interests me:

It sounds like lava lakes will be able to spawn on the surface now, and even inside caves at any level. Sounds cool, not sure I like it though. Underground lakes also sounds neat.

I saw that too, and I'm... well, I'm kind of confused.

I know above-ground lava lakes are new (and I can't say I really like it much... above-ground lava always ends up looking kind of out-of-place to me. I can deal with the odd lava pouring out of a mountainside, but I don't want it to be too common above ground. Now, if there was some sort of "volcanic wasteland" biome, I could see it.

As far as the other stuff, that was already in-game, as far as I understand. I could have sworn that I've come across underground water pools before (nothing huge, but they were there), and I come across huge lava lakes all the time down near the bedrock.

I'll have to start a new world and see if I can figure out what exactly the new stuff is like...

fresquito

-Yeti said:
Oh, so is redstone what people use to make switches?
Hmm, Redstone is used to connect switches to things that are far. For istance, if you place a switch beside a door, it will open the door without the need of redstone. But if you want to open it remotely, then you need redstone. I haven't used it too much, so I can't talk in detail about how it works. Sorry.

Atomski

I started playing with one of these biomods that let you decide how the terrain will come up.

So I went with crazy mountain world but then made the water level really high.

1.png

2.png

3.png

So pretty, love this game.

Also thought this was cool

4.png

Insaniac

can anybody tell me why my new laptop is running minecraft terribly? On 'fast' graphics and 'short' draw distance it still gets about 20 fps.

Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor 2.53ghz

4gb ddr3

NVIDIA GeForce 310M

I'd like to enjoy the beauty of the game but i can't :(

Blizzard

Banned
Insaniac said:
can anybody tell me why my new laptop is running minecraft terribly? On 'fast' graphics and 'short' draw distance it still gets about 20 fps.

Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor 2.53ghz

4gb ddr3

NVIDIA GeForce 310M

I'd like to enjoy the beauty of the game but i can't :(
Silly question, but have you updated your videocard drivers and Java version?

kennah

My hard drive died, I lost the originals of my wedding invitations, some documents, a bunch of save games, the pain in the ass of reinstalling Windows.

Only thing I'm upset about? My minecraft save file.

That high water map looks really cool, I might have to mess around with those tools sometime.

Is the floating islands shot from the same tool?

Insaniac

Blizzard said:
Silly question, but have you updated your videocard drivers and Java version?

I'll check the vid drivers but its been acting like this since I got the laptop a month ago, which was when I freshly downloaded the java applet

Atomski

rohlfinator said:
That high water map looks really cool, I might have to mess around with those tools sometime.

Is the floating islands shot from the same tool?

Yep
The Mod
Currently broken with todays patch though :/

Theres also a thread for shared biometerrain files here This is where I got the floating island one.
:D

Jasoco

Banned
WolfofMebu said:

I discovered putting a 3 block high pile of dirt next to a sapling would cause a tree that had branches to grow about 95% of the time, but it does take the trees longer to grow normally.
339j0x4.jpg

Then once I got a big tree I would just dig out the center leaves at the top, place a block of dirt for the sapling and place three more dirt blocks next to that sapling. Think I have about 4 trees as the base and just started growing them on top of each other.
I am trying it right now. I'll see how it goes. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Insaniac said:
I'll check the vid drivers but its been acting like this since I got the laptop a month ago, which was when I freshly downloaded the java applet
I don't know anything about your video card so yeah that'd be good. I didn't mean the Java applet though, I meant the Java runtime. You can get the JRE from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Side note, that java.com site is actually official? It almost looks like a scam or something. :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Trees haven't grown yet. They've been there for days and have candles all around them. *sigh*

Oh, wait. One of them did. Whoo! And it's a big one too! The trick works!

A while ago I wandered south and set up a post. Then I opened my map in MCMap Live and noticed a forest fire right on the edge of the map and a lava flow next to it. The game had spawned lava right next to a cluster of trees. I decided tonight I'd seek this fire out and see what it looks like...
2i6mie1.jpg

Awesome. Some of them are big trees too. Time to put the flames out and gather the wood. Can't let it go to waste.

I've had that before. Looks awesome.

Also, I've stumpled into a desert area, FILLED with shallow dungeons, some so shallow, they're roofless with no mobs (they burn in the sunlight.) More saddles than I know what to do with.

Jasoco said:
Trees haven't grown yet. They've been there for days and have candles all around them. *sigh*

Oh, wait. One of them did. Whoo! And it's a big one too! The trick works!

Yeah, it will take a long time occasionally. Really sucks when you get screwed and still end up with a sad little tree. Thankfully that doesn't happen that much :lol

Just had my first "FUUUUU!" moment. I was mining pretty deep into the ground, finding coal and iron everywhere, when I noticed a little block of diamond on an overhang right above some lava. I had to kinda drop down to get it, so I tried jumping to a little island in the middle of the lava. Well, I miscalculated the jump and fell in the lava. I lost everything. :(

There is a way to get your stuff back, right?

Atomski

Lost if its dropped in lava. :/

Most cases when you die due to falling or mobs you can run back to your body and collect your stuff. They wont despawn for 5 minutes I think. But yeah if it falls in lava its gone for good.

Vlad

-Yeti said:
Just had my first "FUUUUU!" moment. I was mining pretty deep into the ground, finding coal and iron everywhere, when I noticed a little block of diamond on an overhang right above some lava. I had to kinda drop down to get it, so I tried jumping to a little island in the middle of the lava. Well, I miscalculated the jump and fell in the lava. I lost everything. :(

There is a way to get your stuff back, right?

As Atomski said, if it fell in the lava it's toast. However, I have found that sometimes your inventory can get scattered farther than you'd expect when you die (especially true when dying by falling from a huge height. You MIGHT be able to recover some of it, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

As you might have noticed by now, most of your deaths in Minecraft end up being your own fault after a while. Even now, I'll find myself getting overconfident and exploring caves without sufficient armor, being too careless near lava, etc, and every so often, it comes around to royally bite me in the ass.

Vlad said:
As Atomski said, if it fell in the lava it's toast. However, I have found that sometimes your inventory can get scattered farther than you'd expect when you die (especially true when dying by falling from a huge height. You MIGHT be able to recover some of it, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

As you might have noticed by now, most of your deaths in Minecraft end up being your own fault after a while. Even now, I'll find myself getting overconfident and exploring caves without sufficient armor, being too careless near lava, etc, and every so often, it comes around to royally bite me in the ass.

best survival horror game ever :D

Blizzard

Banned
Vlad said:

Interestingly, if anyone has ever played the really old Roguelike game Nethack, I feel like it's often the same way. It is one of the hardest games to master since you have to learn so much information, and I've only ever won once, playing it off and on for years or something like that.

But what happens, is once you start getting good at the game, you get impatient, start running around, doing actions quickly, not stopping to consider what monsters you are dealing with etc., and suddenly you find yourself picking up a cockatrice corpse without gloves on (thanks to the nymph that seduced you and took them off), and your 10-hour game in progress is over unless you had an amulet of life saving. :lol

ZZMitch

Well after many a day of exploring and traveling (had to find A LOT of clay) I have built my dream home in the snow to celebrate the holidays :D

Inside-
Workroom
javaw2010-12-0519-13-45-67.jpg

Library Area (gunna build a balcony off this eventually)-
javaw2010-12-0519-13-38-27.jpg

Fireplace-
javaw2010-12-0519-14-39-67.jpg

Christmas Tree (need to get some more wool!)-
javaw2010-12-0519-13-09-57.jpg

Outside (might have to do something about that roof...)
javaw2010-12-0519-17-25-01.jpg

View (need to get that balcony built!)-
javaw2010-12-0519-19-05-98.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Use Stairs for 45º roofs and Steps for 30º ones.

I used steps for my warehouse I built last night...
106eglk.jpg

Complete with skylights. Also, I think it's time for that tower to come down.

293bric.jpg

Wish the chests faced towards you when you place them like other things do. Looks weird. Also, I am hoping to move the portal somewhere else but keep the Nether-side exit in the same place. It's my central hub and the center of my current world. In front of the other doors is a stairwell to the bedrock. 7 flights of 8 tiles (16 steps) all the way down connected to my quarry. Also, the office where the workbench and furnaces are, as well as my desk which I can't sit at anyway. But it looks nice.

Jasoco

Banned
It's the next best thing to actually having angled blocks. Stairs and Steps are used for so much detail in many maps I've seen. Not just stairs either. Chairs and benches (With signs on the sides) and roofs and Mac mini's and floors and table tops... You can say the same thing about fences which can be used for so much more than just fences.

Speaking of fences, I wish they attached themselves to the nearest walls so they don't look so weird detached.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jasoco said:
Use Stairs for 45º roofs and Steps for 30º ones.

I used steps for my warehouse I built last night...
106eglk.jpg

Complete with skylights. Also, I think it's time for that tower to come down.

293bric.jpg

Wish the chests faced towards you when you place them like other things do. Looks weird. Also, I am hoping to move the portal somewhere else but keep the Nether-side exit in the same place. It's my central hub and the center of my current world. In front of the other doors is a stairwell to the bedrock. 7 flights of 8 tiles (16 steps) all the way down connected to my quarry. Also, the office where the workbench and furnaces are, as well as my desk which I can't sit at anyway. But it looks nice.

What texture pack are you using? I like that.

Wanace

1NsKN.png

8oDI0.png

My home is slowly taking shape. I recently turned off peaceful and forgot and a creeper blew up my walkway. :lol

Next step is to clear off the mountain to the left in the second picture and build a massive castle of some type.

Sblargh

Banned
Is there a problem building a portal do the Nether way underground? I have this huge cave that I use for mining purposes and the purple portal on the middle would be beautiful. I even began increasing its celling for it.

Prince

Wow i used to check this thread a lot, didn't know they put it in the online section (which i never look at).

I'm still on my first and the only world since I started playing about two months ago. Here are some screenshots.

My big castle with a glass pyramid inside.

23m1nwx.jpg

2jcu9u0.jpg

289kca1.jpg

2roj5ti.jpg

spi58y.jpg

The big tower.

w5u0l.jpg

On the left the first tower I built in the game. It's connected with the small island on the right through a tunnel. The small island is then further connected by another tunnel to a bigger island.

96gxvn.jpg

Sundown from the viewing platform in the big tower. In the middle you can barely see my spawn point which I built a small house around.

2zf04mx.jpg

Man I wish I could run this game with very far view distance. I'm stuck with Tiny and it still stutters. My computer is crap! But one thing that's good about it is that when you're exploring, it's exciting when you come across something awesome. An example from yesterday was that I was looking for a cool place to put a house, and all of sudden these giant "floating mountains" appeared. It seems that they were supported only by large trees. At that point I was like: "Yep, my house is going up on one of the those." :D

So glad I bought this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom