• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
I want to build something under water, but the "oceans" are never deep enough to truly be amazing. Actually, the scale of the world is really small. It's like in real life the MC world you create would be so riddled with water lakes and small hills that a development crew would come through and flatten it out and turn it into a landfill or satellite town. I walk for a long time in any direction then do some conversions of meters to miles and find my world is only 3 miles high and 3 miles wide. (9 square miles) And the distance from the bottom of the world to the top is only .08 miles. (.04 from sea level, or 211 feet.)

2nkmoe9.jpg

Edit: Replaced with corrected map.

The Eestern tower, portal and garden are all on top of mountains. The bridge connects two mountains. I might build a small castle next to the garden.

I plan on building a long sky bridge (Shut up) from the Eastern Tower to the central Glass Overlook tower. It's only about 1400 meters. 21 stacks of blocks per line. 2 blocks wide plus one on each end. Maybe some supports... So about 6 blocks times 1400... Uh... I'm going to need some more cobblestone...

I don't believe in spawning items. So I guess I should get to mining.

Jasoco

Banned
My bad. I labeled the tower as West. It's East. I'm stupid. And no, the map is 100% correct. MCMap Live outputs the image correctly as opposed to rotated like some other viewers do. I'll upload a new map with the right labels. Silly me! So you didn't fail, but you did point out my silly mistake.

Speaking of which, I decided to try building a bridge from the eastern tower to the new central tower by the quarry and ended up falling at about 1/3 the way on the first strip of tiles. Died. Tried to get back to it twice and died from falling in a hurry both times. :lol So I restored my backup from before I started and decided to not build it right now. I calculated it would take about 1200 tiles for each strip. That's about 18 stacks of stone each run. Or one normal treasure chest per strip.

Think I'll build a castle to the north instead. Leave the bridge for later.

Shame too because it turns out I lined up the two towers almost exactly with each other. Only one tile difference. And I wasn't even trying.

Also, building the bridge over a vast snow land was depressing.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. I accidentally stumbled onto the most interesting thing I've seen in this game. A giant tree that grew out of dirt in a deep hole in the ground. The hole is the entrance to a cave and is just barely big enough to fit the tree. I found it while wandering around behind the castle I have been building at the very northern end of my world so far. Found a desert, and a forrest next to each other. Just as it gets dark I fall into a hole and notice I'm standing on leaves. WTF I think. Find my way to the bottom through the openings in between the leaves and wall and find it growing from dirt. So amazing.

rksu4w.jpg

x20yea.jpg

So has everybody but me a Vlad abandoned the neoNeoGAF server?

If anybody's interested, I could use some help with my castle and the wall as well as sundry other projects in new neoNEOGAFland.

Also, did you ever decide what to do about the server and monsters, Spotsie?

thespot84

KidGalactus said:
So has everybody but me a Vlad abandoned the neoNeoGAF server?

If anybody's interested, I could use some help with my castle and the wall as well as sundry other projects in new neoNEOGAFland.

Also, did you ever decide what to do about the server and monsters, Spotsie?

It sounded like the consensus was to restart with mobs and no spawning. I've just been super busy with work and I haven't had time. I suppose there's no harm in backing up the current world and putting on a new one, shouldn't take that long.

I'll need to do some work on the backup for the current world. It's gigantic (5GB) because of people exploring and the mapping program I used. I think I can pare it down but it's still gonna be big. If anyone has any objections to me starting a new world with mobs let me know by tomorrow.

ZZMitch

KidGalactus said:
No objection from me dude.

I just hope it gets people playing again

I will try to join in on the new server.

We should make a new thread just for the new server so people actually remember this game exists :lol

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I'm looking for a low price pc game to play around with just for fun. $10 seems like a good deal. I just wanted to know if this is the game for me. I want something that I could play around with for a while without getting bored. I'm also on a laptop with low end graphics card. It's a Nividia M310 512 and I'm running a i3 2.26 processor. I'm interesting in playing the game since it looks like fun.

or is there another game you recommend. kinda new to pc games. sorry if this is kinda off topic, will delete if asked. :)

thanks for the help
vox-pop

Vlad

kennah said:
New. Old. It's all minecraft. Just think of all the raw materials we'll get when we restart vlad's hole.

Hah, funny.

If the current map is no longer being run on a server and it looks like nobody's going to bring it back, then I could see finishing it up in SP, just to have the damn thing finished, but there's absolutely no way I'm going to be starting ANOTHER one of those from scratch.

Jasoco

Banned
Blizzard said:
http://i.imgur.com/YuiKT.png

I suspect Notch just implemented the ability to make and play musical instruments in Minecraft. :D
That's almost as good as making electric minecart tracks for automatically moving trains that don't need coal or a furnace.

I want this! Musical instruments would be awesome. I was wondering what his twitter post was about.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
hahaha what the hell

that's the best
It looks like (if he does what the notes say) the different materials may even make different notes, so you could make your own pipe organ with harmonies and stuff. (maybe) :O

Brashnir

Blizzard said:
It looks like (if he does what the notes say) the different materials may even make different notes, so you could make your own pipe organ with harmonies and stuff. (maybe) :O

reading the diagram, the materials make different sounds (drum, cymbals, organs, etc) while stacking more of them on top of one another changes the pitch.

The pitch diagram is backwards, though. The diagram shows pitch increasing as blocks are added, when it should decrease in that situation. if one is C, two should be B, three A# and so on.

Jasoco

Banned
I can think of some amazing things people will be using their MineCraft computers for. Seriously. A better way to output the data than just doors and torches.

Holy shit. I wonder how long they'll take to implement it.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
I can think of some amazing things people will be using their MineCraft computers for. Seriously. A better way to output the data than just doors and torches.

Holy shit. I wonder how long they'll take to implement it.

Well, from his twitter:
There we go.. Got some sounds from @C418, implemented redstone and punch triggering, and it's all very silly now. :D

So it sounds like it's functional at the moment, to some degree or another.

:lol That music stuff could be pretty awesome.

I'd be down for playing on a new GAF server with mobs. I only made it into the old one once or twice, but I'm really itching to see how the gameplay changes with mobs in SMP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Now when we say "no spawning", does that also include starter kits?

Constantly remaking tools and torches is the most tedious fucking thing in the world. I'm fine with stuff like no spawning building materials and the like but I'd probably go insane without starter kits.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
Now when we say "no spawning", does that also include starter kits?

Constantly remaking tools and torches is the most tedious fucking thing in the world. I'm fine with stuff like no spawning building materials and the like but I'd probably go insane without starter kits.
it only takes a few hours to find enough diamond to make your first pickaxe, i think it should include starter kits.

we would still have community chests to share resources like that.

thespot84

I'd like more input re: starter kits.

Should we have them and what should they include?

Right now I'm leaning towards some iron tools and torches.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
stone tools and torches would be nice.
there'd still be incentive for people to mine for all types of ores.
and everyone hates that first hour of wood tools. -.-

Rapstah

I'd argue iron tools in the starter kit because you can't mine diamonds and redstone with stone. But just iron whatevers and torches is enough, I agree.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rapstah said:
I'd argue iron tools in the starter kit because you can't mine diamonds and redstone with stone.
i'm arguing stone because you can't mine diamonds and redstone with it.

Vlad

thespot84 said:

Personally I say that if we're going survival, we go all the way: no starter kits at all.

I'm guessing that a large area around spawn is going to be walled off and lit well enough to be a good-sized safe zone. Not only that, but I figure between the inevitable tree farm, mine, and community tower-type building that will undoubtedly be made there, any new player should have easy access to the stuff available to get started.

Tesseract

Banned
thespot84 said:

i vote no starter kits, we should create and maintain everything ourselves. the reward is sweeter when you work for it.

shouldn't smp be the same as ssp, only with more people? the need to maintain our resources, etc. until kingdom come.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Having starter kits with stone tools would be nearly as tedious as not having starter kits at all. Instead of spending all your time making the pickaxes from scratch, you'd be spawning kits every minute or so and you'd have an excess of other tools and torches lying around.

Here's a good compromise I think.

1x Iron Pickaxe
1x Stone Shovel
64x Torches

Shovels aren't burned through as quickly as pickaxes, so it's not a big deal if they're stone. And by making pickaxes the only tool that's spawned with iron, you still have a demand for iron for things like armor, swords, and the occasional iron shovel.

Vlad said:
Personally I say that if we're going survival, we go all the way: no starter kits at all.
That'd be my vote.

Besides, until he fixes the item drop/regen bug in SMP, tools are effectively unlimited unless you die. I've been using the same diamond pick for months on my server.
And torches are really easy to come by once you get started.

I just want in if a new gaf server is created. I don't care if things are spawned or not.

I love single player, but it starts to get boring being alone.

If we're doing a health, mobs, no-spawning server, I'm in. When do we start!?

Also I'm against the idea of starter kits, but not so much that it really matters to me.

Vlad

HappyBivouac said:
If we're doing a health, mobs, no-spawning server, I'm in. When do we start!?

Also I'm against the idea of starter kits, but not so much that it really matters to me.

If I had to guess, I'd think it's going to be a little bit longer. As far as I know, monsters still don't quite work right (they seem to induce massive lag), and there's several other issues that have yet to be resolved.

Reading everyone's comments about the new server has me excited. Now if only Minecraft would work on my computer again. After one of the patch, I, like many people can't play the game without 1 FPS. :(

Blizzard

Banned
I'd also vote for no spawning if that's an option. Like someone pointed out, the bug is presumably still in there that lets you use tools forever.

IceMarker

JodyAnthony said:
what texture pack are you using? looks neat.
That would be Eld's Artpack pixed with MrM's AO Mod. Makes Minecraft look amazing!

Also, I put up a short video tour of the place. You can check it out on my UStream.

urgh, I started a new world and played five in game days doing nothing but digging, haven't found a single piece of coal. I can't do anything, and mobs keep killing me. Maybe this world isn't meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom