• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
JodyAnthony said:
urgh, I started a new world and played five in game days doing nothing but digging, haven't found a single piece of coal. I can't do anything, and mobs keep killing me. Maybe this world isn't meant to be.

Here's a tip: in my hundreds of hours playing this game, I've never seen a mob spawn in a spot in close proximity to myself, aside from in a dungeon with a spawner. It's safe to assume that if you're in a closed, relatively small space, even in darkness, you're safe. You can either sit in your completely dark house for night time, or an even quicker and dirtier way to stay safe at night is to just carry a stack of dirt with you and build yourself a tall dirt tower to stand on until the sun comes back up.

As for finding coal: stop digging! Check in small natural caves, or if you're too afraid to do that, then check the sides of cliffs/mountains where the stone is exposed.

yeah, I've been hiding in little dirt tombs, heh. I came out of he last one once the sun came up and there were 4 creepers right outside. Needless to say I didn't survive.

kennah

I once spawned an island world. It took me five in game days to find coal. Five terrifying nights. At least with sand you can kind of see in the dark.

Jasoco

Banned
DrForester said:
So, for the past week I've noticed that the game reverts to defaults controls whenever I load my world.

Any ideas how to fix?
It's annoying as fuck and I've Tweeted to Notch twice about it. Why not try that yourself, maybe he'll figure it out (If he hasn't already fixed it for a future update) if more than one person complains about it. I sometimes feel I'm the only one who does not use WSAD.

Insaniac

Jasoco said:
It's annoying as fuck and I've Tweeted to Notch twice about it. Why not try that yourself, maybe he'll figure it out (If he hasn't already fixed it for a future update) if more than one person complains about it. I sometimes feel I'm the only one who does not use WSAD.

happens to me too, fortunately I only change the button 'inventory' is mapped to.

Also I found a very complex, large and deep cave with a lot of coal / iron and gold but it is very very very far from my spawn/home. Any idea of the best way to find my way back and forth?

(so far I've laid a path of torches, put a few tall towers and I've used my compass)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Insaniac said:
happens to me too, fortunately I only change the button 'inventory' is mapped to.

Also I found a very complex, large and deep cave with a lot of coal / iron and gold but it is very very very far from my spawn/home. Any idea of the best way to find my way back and forth?

(so far I've laid a path of torches, put a few tall towers and I've used my compass)
you're not thinking with portals.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
For those who havent bought Minecraft you mite want to now.

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/13682551621160960

The cost at final release will be about 20 euro (19.95, probably). Alpha = 50% off, all updates for free. Beta = 25% off.

Edit: It looks like Final release will be free for beta users but other add-ons may cost money. But for Alpha users expansions will be free?

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/13682437074718720

buying during beta = get everything up to and including release version for free. Expansions might cost.

Blizzard

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Edit: It looks like Final release will be free for beta users but other add-ons may cost money. But for Alpha users expansions will be free?
Yep.

Notch said:
no, if you have alpha, you get all future updates for free, including beta, release, and all expansions

So $26 for the final release version, plus potentially extra for expansions or updates. We might want to make a thread in the gaming side warning that there is only a week or so left to buy. :D Anyone up for it?

Vlad

Blizzard said:
Yep.

So $26 for the final release version, plus potentially extra for expansions or updates. We might want to make a thread in the gaming side warning that there is only a week or so left to buy. :D Anyone up for it?

YES.

Hell, THIS thread should be in the gaming forum.

Jasoco

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
Beta coming December 20:

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/13633105185210368
It's like an early birthday present! Whoo! So glad I bought it too. But I would definitely pay full price for this.

Also, Minecraft.net is down. I can't log in. Finally let me go offline.

OnPoint

Vlad said:
YES.

Hell, THIS thread should be in the gaming forum.

I actually agree with this. There's a huge single player component as well as the community aspects. Why it's here I'll never understand.

Twig

Banned
"Community" doesn't just mean "online".

They changed the name for a reason.

Is it really that much trouble to just click the Community tab? Or subscribe to this thread? You people are lazy.

Atomski

Yeah its fine now. Before it didn't make sense because the forum was mostly online stuff. But now every game that seems to have a big community is moved here.

Oreoleo

Twig said:

Is it really that much trouble to just click the Community tab? Or subscribe to this thread? You people are lazy.
Motherfuckin this! Bunch of whiners in here don't know how to use GAF.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:
Motherfuckin this! Bunch of whiners in here don't know how to use GAF.
Well, to subscribe to the thread, you first have to find it. And I think some people have posted and been like "Oh HERE is the thread, I never check the community section." They can subscribe after that, but first they have to Google it, or else venture into the strange and unknown territory of Community.

Vlad

Insaniac said:
And how do I do that? Also i haven't found any diamond yet so I can't mine obsidian :(

You don't need diamond to get obsidian. You just need some buckets. Water touching a lava source block will turn the lava into obsidian.

thespot84

ZealousD said:
Hey spot, when are you launching the new server?

If no one's playing on the current server I'd consider doing it tomorrow. The beta announcement made me hesitate a bit, thinking I might wait a week at least until inventory is fixed. If everyone wants it now I can do it know, I really don't have an opinion at this point since I haven't had much time to play.

Benedict

I just bought this game to support a fellow Swede. And to avoid the increase in price on December 20th.

What's the preferred way to play the game?
In the browser or download the exe-file?
What's the difference?

Any Mods and/or Texture packs I should download?

Insaniac

HappyBivouac said:
Right but you can also make your own obsidian structures without ever having to mine it by creating a mold in which to make the obsidian.

interesting. So how do I use portals to travel from point to point? I thought they only lead to the nether?

SumPog

Neo Member
Just created a new world my spawn point is in the middle of two miniature lakes. Reckon I could build a badass boathouse with a few zombie traps.

Vlad

thespot84 said:
If no one's playing on the current server I'd consider doing it tomorrow. The beta announcement made me hesitate a bit, thinking I might wait a week at least until inventory is fixed. If everyone wants it now I can do it know, I really don't have an opinion at this point since I haven't had much time to play.

I've been having some severe issues on the current server, though.

- Setting off TNT kicks off everybody. I don't know if it's everybody near the TNT or everybody on the server, but even if I set off a single block, everybody near the block gets booted from the server.

- The other night, I was on with Pirata and ZealousD, and I was invisible. Not only that, but I was incapable of picking things up. Everybody disconnecting and reconnecting (due to the TNT issue) managed to make me visible again, but I still to this day can't pick anything up.

ckohler

Twig said:

Fair enough but then please explain why the Halo Reach Forge thread is still in the Gaming Forum and not here.

Twig

Banned
Do I look like a mod? I'm just explaining the logic behind the move. If you want to question logical inconsistencies, PM EviLore.

My main point remains, which is that if you're not a lazy piece of shit, the thread being here in Community is not a big deal. I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, but it's hardly worth whining about it.

Jasoco

Banned
As I've said before, just subscribe and use the Subscriptions page. I rarely see the actual forum lists. Most of the time I am in the Subscriptions page. It let me finally disable email notifications. Now if only every forum worked the same way I wouldn't need emails at all.

Whoa I just realised that this thread is in the fucking community section. I haven't played Minecraft for about a month.

Is touchmybox's server going to get fixed. I used to love the guys on there.

Is there a new NeoGAFLand now?

Please update me!

The last I've heard about MC is that it's going beta soon.

I haven't even checked out the updates since Halloween.

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
As I've said before, just subscribe and use the Subscriptions page. I rarely see the actual forum lists. Most of the time I am in the Subscriptions page. It let me finally disable email notifications. Now if only every forum worked the same way I wouldn't need emails at all.
You and me, we're pro. :3

OnPoint

Twig said:
Do I look like a mod? I'm just explaining the logic behind the move. If you want to question logical inconsistencies, PM EviLore.

My main point remains, which is that if you're not a lazy piece of shit, the thread being here in Community is not a big deal. I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, but it's hardly worth whining about it.

I think your constant going on about it in the way that you are (calling people lazy pieces of shit?) is a bit more deplorable, but I'd hate to fight with a fellow Minecrafter.

* subscribed *

Twig

Banned
OnPoint said:
I think your constant going on about it in the way that you are (calling people lazy pieces of shit?) is a bit more deplorable, but I'd hate to fight with a fellow Minecrafter.

* subscribed *
More deplorable than...?

I only go on about it because everyone keeps bringing it up and it's annoying. Yes, okay, we get it, you don't think it was a good idea to put the thread here for whatever reason. GET OVER IT. I DID. Also, I didn't call anyone a lazy piece of shit unless they actually ARE a lazy piece of shit. U;

OnPoint

Twig said:
More deplorable than...?

I only go on about it because everyone keeps bringing it up and it's annoying. Yes, okay, we get it, you don't think it was a good idea to put the thread here for whatever reason. GET OVER IT. I DID. Also, I didn't call anyone a lazy piece of shit unless they actually ARE a lazy piece of shit. U;

I meant more deplorable than people whining about it. Doesn't really matter in the long run. Let's just 'craft and put it behind us.

thespot84

Minecraft^3 is up and running.

A current map of spawn is available here.

This map will be updated daily at 4 am (which takes some CPU cycles so be a good boy and be in bed by then).

There are no kits.

There are mobs.

There are animals.

There is PvP.

I will make an archive of the previous world (neoneogafland) available in the near future.

-God

EDIT: There are no mobs. mobs are broken.

SumPog

Neo Member
ZZMitch said:
Well after many a day of exploring and traveling (had to find A LOT of clay) I have built my dream home in the snow to celebrate the holidays :D

Inside-
Workroom
javaw2010-12-0519-13-45-67.jpg

Library Area (gunna build a balcony off this eventually)-
javaw2010-12-0519-13-38-27.jpg

Fireplace-
javaw2010-12-0519-14-39-67.jpg

Christmas Tree (need to get some more wool!)-
javaw2010-12-0519-13-09-57.jpg

Outside (might have to do something about that roof...)
javaw2010-12-0519-17-25-01.jpg

View (need to get that balcony built!)-
javaw2010-12-0519-19-05-98.jpg

does anyone know what texture pack this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom