• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally bought the game and built a stone pickaxe and...now what? Do I build a house? Build a pixel Mario? I don't know what I should do now. I feel cheated already.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChoklitReign said:
I finally bought the game and built a stone pickaxe and...now what? Do I build a house? Build a pixel Mario? I don't know what I should do now. I feel cheated already.
endless demon hordes crave for nothing but your soft flesh, this is there world and it is a perilous place.
Conquer it.
construct a fortress that can withstand any seige, create a network of mines and tunnels to transport you in emergencies, build bridges that span oceans and once your keep is imperfious to all worldly assault, declare war on hell itself and make it your glorified subway system.

in short:
JnXNY.png

Now that you have made a new server I might actually start coming online more often and actually build something unlike the last server where I just wandered around all the time. :D

Pandaman said:
endless demon hordes crave for nothing but your soft flesh, this is there world and it is a perilous place.
Conquer it.
construct a fortress that can withstand any seige, create a network of mines and tunnels to transport you in emergencies, build bridges that span oceans and once your keep is imperfious to all worldly assault, declare war on hell itself and make it your glorified subway system.
In time, I guess. So far I've built two houses (I lost the first one) and I'm mining gravel and wood to make stuff.

SumPog

Neo Member
ChoklitReign said:
In time, I guess. So far I've built two houses (I lost the first one) and I'm mining gravel and wood to make stuff.

The more you dig into the game (pun not intended), the more you'll get out of it.

Insaniac

fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Was exploring a big cavern looking for diamond and fell into a pit of lava after harvesting tons of gold/iron etc

kinda wish there was a way to undo that stuff because that was seriously at least 3 hours of playing down the drain, and I immediately quit ugh.

Vlad

Insaniac said:
fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Was exploring a big cavern looking for diamond and fell into a pit of lava after harvesting tons of gold/iron etc

kinda wish there was a way to undo that stuff because that was seriously at least 3 hours of playing down the drain, and I immediately quit ugh.

For me, that's part of the charm of the game. If I could quicksave whenever I wanted, then I know I'd be abusing it and would never have to worry about losing anything. Now, though, there's always an almost-tangible sense of dread that increases the longer I'm in a cave. As the goodies in my inventory increase, I get more and more nervous. Do I go deeper and grab more stuff, or do I turn back to base to deposit my spoils in a safe location.

There's been plenty of times where I've lost all my stuff in an instant (like a creeper spawning in a small cave connected to the cavern I was in and proceeding to jump right on my head and explode), and while it sucks when it happens, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Citizen K

I cannot believe my pc doesnt run minecraft better. i get 10-20 fps at times! i thought it would be smooth as butter! my last pc game befoe this was starcraft 2 and that ran ok on lower settings.

spec:
athlon 64 3700+ 2.21ghz
2 gb ram
geforce 7600gt
win 7

i will be doing a major pc rebuild next year but does anyoine know if there is something i could do now. maybe a cheap graphics card/cpu to get a good performance boost?

Citizen K said:
I cannot believe my pc doesnt run minecraft better. i get 10-20 fps at times! i thought it would be smooth as butter! my last pc game befoe this was starcraft 2 and that ran ok on lower settings.

spec:
athlon 64 3700+ 2.21ghz
2 gb ram
geforce 7600gt
win 7

i will be doing a major pc rebuild next year but does anyoine know if there is something i could do now. maybe a cheap graphics card/cpu to get a good performance boost?
Try using older or modded drivers, it worked for my geforce 6200 and let me get 30fps at long range.

What's the best way to find your houses? At first I built a really tall house so I could see it from afar but the fog became a big problem. So I'm building a second simpler house nearby. With more of those I can mine nearby without worrying about not having shelter. Is this expected?

ZZMitch

ChoklitReign said:
What's the best way to find your houses? At first I built a really tall house so I could see it from afar but the fog became a big problem. So I'm building a second simpler house nearby. With more of those I can mine nearby without worrying about not having shelter. Is this expected?

Compass? Even if your house is far from your spawn you can still use it to find the general area of your house

Blizzard

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
anyone know how to change your password?

stupid gawker.

edit: nevermind, found it. http://www.minecraft.net/changepass.jsp
Also, remember not to use a password in Minecraft that might be important anywhere else. I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, but the last 2-3 times I monitored with Wireshark, the password is sent in plaintext via HTTP and not even hashed. (it might be hashed when it's stored on the server, not sure if Notch has mentioned that info or not)

I've emailed him a couple of times about it but I should probably get around to Twitter-pestering him since I'm probably one of only a few people who would actually even care if the password is encrypted or hashed in transmission.

Vlad

ChoklitReign said:

If you're really having issues, try checking out one of the many mapping programs out there. That way you can just generate a map of your world and look through it until you find your building(s).

ZZMitch said:
Compass? Even if your house is far from your spawn you can still use it to find the general area of your house
I can't build a compass or a watch. I haven't seen iron for ages and I've never found a redstone. Where can I find those? I found some lava underground that I'm trying to get across.

Found a good mod on the forums which adds human mobs into the game;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=103072

roguearcher.jpg

It adds the hostile mobs 'Rogue', 'Rogue Archer' & 'Desert Bandit', and the non-hostile mobs 'Settler', 'Wanderer' & 'Lost Miner'.

Rogues and Rogue Archers appear in multiples and only spawn at night, but aren't killed in daylight, and the same goes for the Desert Bandit, but they only spawn in desert biomes. The Settlers and Wanderers spawn on cobblestone in daylight, while Lost Miners spawn in caves and will follow you around if you encounter them.

I really hope Notch adds some better support for mods - as much as I love the core game, there's some awesome stuff being made in the community, it's just a pain in the ass that each update breaks most mods.

Erudite

Bootaaay said:

*snip*

It adds the hostile mobs 'Rogue', 'Rogue Archer' & 'Desert Bandit', and the non-hostile mobs 'Settler', 'Wanderer' & 'Lost Miner'.

Rogues and Rogue Archers appear in multiples and only spawn at night, but aren't killed in daylight, and the same goes for the Desert Bandit, but they only spawn in desert biomes. The Settlers and Wanderers spawn on cobblestone in daylight, while Lost Miners spawn in caves and will follow you around if you encounter them.

I really hope Notch adds some better support for mods - as much as I love the core game, there's some awesome stuff being made in the community, it's just a pain in the ass that each update breaks most mods.
Right after I buy it too, awesome.

After playing it a bit, one of my major gripes was the lack of other NPCs. Mod looks pretty basic right now, but it's a start nevertheless.

Despite that, game is still a ton of fun for what's there at the moment

Vlad

ChoklitReign said:
I can't build a compass or a watch. I haven't seen iron for ages and I've never found a redstone. Where can I find those? I found some lava underground that I'm trying to get across.

Redstone is extremely common deep underground. Someone posted a graph a while back that analyzed what materials were most common at what depths. I can't find it at the moment, though.

When you do find it, remember that you need to use an iron or diamond pickaxe to mine it.

r1chard

Vlad said:
Redstone is extremely common deep underground. Someone posted a graph a while back that analyzed what materials were most common at what depths. I can't find it at the moment, though.

The summary is: scour between 10-15 blocks above the bedrock. That's above the majority of lava pools and contains the highest concentration of all the minerals.

Twig

Banned
DrForester said:
I didn't know you could combine tnt into more powerful explosions like that.
Well, I think it's just knocking the other TNT around. It doesn't actually make one big explosion. It's tons of tiny explosions. ("Tiny.")

Unless that was a mod or Notch changed the way things work.

Jasoco

Banned
DrForester said:
I didn't know you could combine tnt into more powerful explosions like that.
It kills framerate. If you noticed how the video froze for a few seconds, according to the creator it actually took a few minutes before it came back. Guess Java takes a while to calculate all those explosions one after another.

SumPog

Neo Member
Bootaaay said:

roguearcher.jpg

Do they drop loot?
And another thing, what do you guys think is the most efficient zombie trap to get gunpowder?

Blizzard

Banned
SumPog said:
Do they drop loot?
And another thing, what do you guys think is the most efficient zombie trap to get gunpowder?
Gunpowder only comes from creepers...feathers come from zombies (and I think chickens).

SumPog

Neo Member
I thought Ghasts dropped gunpowder as well...

Looks like a pretty cool mod, will get it. Also is your avatar from Dr. Strangelove?

Inkwell

Banned
When I was playing on the minecraft server last night, my game would freeze with a black screen every so often. I know vlad was having the same problem. Well, I was looking it up on the minecraft forums and it might be nvidia cards. I know vlad mentioned having an 8 series card, and I have a GTX 460. I'm wondering:

If you have these crashes, what kind of video card do you have?

Does anyone have an nvidia card and are not experiencing this issue?

The problem might only occur in mp. I had the exact same issue before, but it was fixed by updating java or an update to minecraft.

Inkwell said:
When I was playing on the minecraft server last night, my game would freeze with a black screen every so often. I know vlad was having the same problem. Well, I was looking it up on the minecraft forums and it might be nvidia cards. I know vlad mentioned having an 8 series card, and I have a GTX 460. I'm wondering:

If you have these crashes, what kind of video card do you have?

Does anyone have an nvidia card and are not experiencing this issue?

The problem might only occur in mp. I had the exact same issue before, but it was fixed by updating java or an update to minecraft.
I had that today. I have a nvidia geforce 9800m gs. never had it in sp, despite hours of playing.

thespot84

ZZMitch said:
Pmed ya!

Also, holy crap at that TNT video

After lots of experimenting with TNT on our old server, I'm convinced that guy used an editor. 1st of all tnt doesn't blow up bedrock, period. 2nd tnt doesn't blow up that smoothly, it's more of thousands of tiny explosions, and you end up with lot of swiss cheese looking structures. I wish there was something like theater like in COD so that you could go back and create videos of stuff like that, regardless of him using an editor or something i'd love to see it blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom