• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

thespot84 said:
After lots of experimenting with TNT on our old server, I'm convinced that guy used an editor. 1st of all tnt doesn't blow up bedrock, period. 2nd tnt doesn't blow up that smoothly, it's more of thousands of tiny explosions, and you end up with lot of swiss cheese looking structures. I wish there was something like theater like in COD so that you could go back and create videos of stuff like that, regardless of him using an editor or something i'd love to see it blow up.

Yeah, the bedrock thing surprised me...

Vlad

thespot84 said:
After lots of experimenting with TNT on our old server, I'm convinced that guy used an editor. 1st of all tnt doesn't blow up bedrock, period. 2nd tnt doesn't blow up that smoothly, it's more of thousands of tiny explosions, and you end up with lot of swiss cheese looking structures. I wish there was something like theater like in COD so that you could go back and create videos of stuff like that, regardless of him using an editor or something i'd love to see it blow up.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, it looked like his TNT ball was in the middle of the water, and I've never been able to get TNT to have an effect underwater.

Not only that, but it looked like he was detonating the TNT ball starting at the bottom, and wouldn't the cascading explosions have blown all the rest of the TNT upwards? I mean, it was neat having all that TNT reaching to the sky, but the blast radius on TNT is so small that all the TNT on the top would theoretically have had no effect.

I think I'll go into Mythbusters mode and see if I can replicate this...

Melville

So about the Herobrine thing... It's been added by Notch, right? I just saw his nickname appear behind a wall for a few seconds on the server I play on.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Melville said:
So about the Herobrine thing... It's been added by Notch, right? I just saw his nickname appear behind a wall for a few seconds on the server I play on.
or you saw someone whose username was herobrine.

Melville

Pandaman said:
or you saw someone whose username was herobrine.

Nope, I was alone on the server. 100% sure. But after a quick google search I learned that a plug-in adds Herobrine on the server :O I guess that's it

Vlad

Ok, so the TNT test is underway. I used MCEdit to edit a new world and added this in:

x9aw6.png

That monster reaches well over the clouds, most likely to the build ceiling. The youtube video didn't give an exact diameter of the TNT ball, so I just made it as big as possible while still fitting between sea level and the build ceiling.

I did deviate from the video a little bit by using redstone wiring to detonate the ball instead of a string of TNT, but that shouldn't change the outcome.

I flipped the switch about 15 minutes ago and Minecraft immediately froze and shot up to over 1.5GB RAM usage. My computer's running at a crawl, but the ball should be detonating as I type. I'll report back when I've got a result.....

Blizzard

Banned
thespot84 said:
PM me for server address. Community thread is open to the public so we don't share it here.
Remember you can use the email tag and only members can quote to view it, like this:

Quote to view.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Ok, so the TNT test is underway. I used MCEdit to edit a new world and added this in:

x9aw6.png

That monster reaches well over the clouds, most likely to the build ceiling. The youtube video didn't give an exact diameter of the TNT ball, so I just made it as big as possible while still fitting between sea level and the build ceiling.

I did deviate from the video a little bit by using redstone wiring to detonate the ball instead of a string of TNT, but that shouldn't change the outcome.
In the video he said he had to switch to TNT. You might have to too. Not sure why he did though. I look forward to your report. You should record it.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
In the video he said he had to switch to TNT. You might have to too. Not sure why he did though. I look forward to your report. You should record it.

I know exactly why he switched to TNT. I realized it as soon as I saw that huge line of redstone that stretched from the ball to the pressure plate...

Redstone currents can only carry for 15 blocks before stopping. His line of redstone was WAY longer than that, so the current wouldn't have been able to make it anywhere near the TNT. You can use redstone torches as repeaters to carry the signal much further, though. I believe the only limitation is that the redstone signal won't carry to a chunk that isn't loaded due to distance from the player.

As far as the current status of the experiment:

After maybe 15 minutes of ram-hogging nothing, Minecraft crashed with a black screen. The video mentioned that he had to restart the game, and I've read similar reports from excessively large TNT explosions in the past, so that was expected. However, when I try and restart the map, it still freezes and I hear explosion sounds for about a minute before the game crashes with the error message to report to Mojang.

Now, I'm hoping that the game is managing to further calculate the explosion between each crash, but it's crashing pretty fast, so it might not be able to save the new data before each crash.

I'm going to try and do it again on a new map with a slightly smaller TNT ball, so we'll see what happens. There's also the possibility that my computer, which is coming up on three years old at this point, might not be powerful enough to handle it...

As far as recording it, there's really nothing to see. That much TNT does a number on the game, as it can't process the exponentially increasing number of explosions and basically freezes until it can figure out what the hell's going on.

Vlad

Well, this is anticlimactic.

Tried it again three more times, with slightly smaller (60 and 55 diameter) TNT spheres, and the same result every time. Game crashes, and every time I try to load it back up, it just crashes again.

After loading the maps up in MCEdit, I see the problem... the game isn't getting a chance to save once the explosion starts, so when I'm using redstone to ignite it, the maps are stuck right at the point of the initial detonation, so no progress is being saved.

Out of frustration, I tried creating another sphere on a new map and just punching the damn thing. Once again, a quick death followed by freezing, followed by crashing. Reloading the map put me before the punch so there's nothing more I can do. I tried lowering the view distance and visual quality, but no dice.

Anybody out there with a super-powerful computer want to see if they have better luck?

Blizzard

Banned
Vlad said:
Well, this is anticlimactic.

Tried it again three more times, with slightly smaller (60 and 55 diameter) TNT spheres, and the same result every time. Game crashes, and every time I try to load it back up, it just crashes again.

After loading the maps up in MCEdit, I see the problem... the game isn't getting a chance to save once the explosion starts, so when I'm using redstone to ignite it, the maps are stuck right at the point of the initial detonation, so no progress is being saved.

Out of frustration, I tried creating another sphere on a new map and just punching the damn thing. Once again, a quick death followed by freezing, followed by crashing. Reloading the map put me before the punch so there's nothing more I can do. I tried lowering the view distance and visual quality, but no dice.

Anybody out there with a super-powerful computer want to see if they have better luck?
How much memory does your computer have total? You can try running the .jar like:

java -Xmx2048M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar

That might give you a bit of extra RAM to play with.

Vlad

Something else I just noticed.

If you look at the guy's other videos, he posted a previous, similar video of another, supposedly smaller, ball of TNT. His experience looks a lot like mine: explosions start followed by an almost immediate freeze. He lasts a little longer before the freeze than I do, but he claims that the game crashed on him.

However, there's one important thing about the first video: he never shows the resulting damage done by the TNT ball! It really doesn't make any sense to NOT show it, as even if it didn't look like the second video's crater, it would have been fairly large. This makes me think that he might have had the same problem as me... the game can't make it through the explosion far enough to save.

Vlad

Blizzard said:
How much memory does your computer have total? You can try running the .jar like:

java -Xmx2048M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar

That might give you a bit of extra RAM to play with.

I've only got 2GB, and Minecraft was hogging about 1.5-1.7 of it, so I doubt the extra few hundred MB is going to make a difference. That's why I was hoping someone else with more horsepower could try it out.

r1chard

Vlad said:
I've only got 2GB, and Minecraft was hogging about 1.5-1.7 of it, so I doubt the extra few hundred MB is going to make a difference. That's why I was hoping someone else with more horsepower could try it out.
I have 8GB at home. I'd be happy to give it a try. Can you put the map ready to explode somewhere?

Edit: or I could learn to drive MCEdit myself, which I think I will do.

Edit 2: well, that was easy. So, trying a reasonably-sized ball (20 wide) the game is still running on my 4G laptop. Just passed the 1G resident size mark, and climbing :)

Vlad

r1chard said:
I have 8GB at home. I'd be happy to give it a try. Can you put the map ready to explode somewhere?

Edit: or I could learn to drive MCEdit myself, which I think I will do.

It's not too bad to learn. I managed to learn enough of it to make the TNT spheres in about 10 minutes.

r1chard

Hmm, the resident size seems to have peaked at 1.3GB. CPU's still being used in fits and starts. Still hasn't crashed.

Edit: gonna do this scientifically and start smaller when I get home and have 4 cores and 8GB of RAM to play with rather than only 2/4...

Vlad

r1chard said:
Hmm, the resident size seems to have peaked at 1.3GB. CPU's still being used in fits and starts. Still hasn't crashed.

Edit: gonna do this scientifically and start smaller when I get home and have 4 cores and 8GB of RAM to play with rather than only 2/4...

Good luck. I couldn't even get it to work with a sphere 30 blocks wide.

r1chard

Well, a 20-block-wide sphere crashed Minecraft. It was able to do 15.

I'm on windows and not sure how to tell Minecraft to use more memory - google has failed me.

Edit: I figured it out, and found that I can't extend the memory available to Java beyond 1GB. So I'm definitely calling bullshit on that video at this point :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's a suggestion for the guys trying the TNT ball.

When I was blowing up the cave for the dwarf city in the last neogafland server, I took advantage of a quirk in how tnt explosions work in multiplayer. As you may know, in multiplayer, the only person that actually sees the TNT explosion is the person who sets off the TNT. Well, it also turns out that by not seeing the actual explosion, significantly less memory is used.

So what I did was, I would set my TNT fuse on fire with flint and steel to set it off, and the game would not recognize that I set off the TNT explosion. This way, I could set off HUGE walls and stacks of TNT without having to deal with the memory and crashing issues that would normally accompany it.

So instead of trying to do these TNT balls in singleplayer, make them in a multiplayer server and use fire to set the TNT off. You'll probably have much better luck.

Vlad

ZealousD said:
Here's a suggestion for the guys trying the TNT ball.

When I was blowing up the cave for the dwarf city in the last neogafland server, I took advantage of a quirk in how tnt explosions work in multiplayer. As you may know, in multiplayer, the only person that actually sees the TNT explosion is the person who sets off the TNT. Well, it also turns out that by not seeing the actual explosion, significantly less memory is used.

So what I did was, I would set my TNT fuse on fire with flint and steel to set it off, and the game would not recognize that I set off the TNT explosion. This way, I could set off HUGE walls and stacks of TNT without having to deal with the memory and crashing issues that would normally accompany it.

So instead of trying to do these TNT balls in singleplayer, make them in a multiplayer server and use fire to set the TNT off. You'll probably have much better luck.

Hmmmm... that's a good point. Now I'll have to look up how to set up a server and all that.

Also, anybody know what the song is that he used in the video?

Looking at the video again, that very well might be what he did. If you look at the initial TNT explosions (the ones he used for the fuse), you don't see them explode, just fly around and disappear.

MNC

Vlad said:

x9aw6.png

I flipped the switch about 15 minutes ago and Minecraft immediately froze and shot up to over 1.5GB RAM usage. My computer's running at a crawl, but the ball should be detonating as I type. I'll report back when I've got a result.....
You have the best skin ever.

ZealousD

Vlad said:
Looking at the video again, that very well might be what he did. If you look at the initial TNT explosions (the ones he used for the fuse), you don't see them explode, just fly around and disappear.

That's not what he did. The fact that you see them fly around is an indication that he didn't do that. In multiplayer, the TNT blocks just disappear and a hole magically appears.

r1chard

ZealousD said:
Well, it also turns out that by not seeing the actual explosion, significantly less memory is used.
This makes a lot of sense - the number of particles rendered for a single explosion is quite large.

owlbeak

Can I petition to turn off health until the lag is not so awful? I was trying to build scaffolding around my planned build up on a mountain, placed two blocks walked out onto them and they disappear and I fall to my death and lose the material I worked on collecting for an hour. That happened TWICE and it's infuriating. >:[

I am proud to present my biggest project to date. I've been working on it since before noon.

javaw2010-12-1517-48-32-83.jpg

Built out of a natural hollowed out mountain. About half of it is manmade.

javaw2010-12-1517-48-01-82.jpg

The bottom floor

javaw2010-12-1517-47-41-27.jpg

The second floor

javaw2010-12-1517-47-29-72.jpg

The grand staircase

javaw2010-12-1517-47-17-26.jpg

Panoramic view to the east (with safety blocks)

javaw2010-12-1517-47-10-03.jpg

Top of the grand staircase (with Nether portal at the top)

javaw2010-12-1517-46-59-11.jpg

LAVAFALL MOTHERFUCKERS

javaw2010-12-1517-46-31-52.jpg

Top flow of the lavafall

javaw2010-12-1517-46-45-57.jpg

What an amazing game

Helmholtz

Having a lot of fun on thespot's server...it's a shame about the lag though. It's basically unplayable a lot of the time, and I get crashes every 10 minutes or so. Lack of mobs is unfortunate too.

Vlad

Helmholtz said:
Having a lot of fun on thespot's server...it's a shame about the lag though. It's basically unplayable a lot of the time, and I get crashes every 10 minutes or so. Lack of mobs is unfortunate too.

Well, imagine monsters with the lag <shudder>

Methinks we need to get people back into multiplayer again. It's been cool so far with the new server, and this is actually the first GAF server I've played on, but I get the feeling it was far more active a couple months ago.

thespot84

I'll consider the health issue if it's an easy switch (no time to look into it now). Also let's see how the lag does for a bit, the game should get more stable and my guess is all this traffic will die down as it did last time.

Vlad

Ok, an update on the TNT-ball experiment:

After setting up a local server and joining it, I once again used MCEdit to create another massive ball of TNT floating over a body of water. I lit a long fuse of leaves leading to the bottom of the ball, and soon after the fire reached it, the server booted me out. However, the server did keep running and the RAM usage shot to almost 1GB. This continued for a few minutes, but then the server automatically stopped.

However, unlike with my single-player attempts, when the server stopped, it saved the state of the world, so to test things, I would run the server until it gave up and crashed on me, and run it over and over. I've been doing that for a while now, and after loading up the map again in MCEdit, here's what I see:

1t9c1u.png

Now keep in mind that the explosion is still going on. Whenever I run the server, it immediately jumps to 1GB of memory usage and stays there until it crashes. When it's idle normally, it only used about 30-40MB of memory. I also am completely unable to join it while it's running.

Still, This is fairly telling. As I suspected earlier, lighting the bottom of the sphere results in the activated TNTs falling down immediately and either blowing up harmlessly in the water or not blowing up that many of the upper ones. Eventually, though, the chain reaction must have caught on and started blowing up all the other TNTs and throwing them about nicely, as over half the sphere is gone. There's a good amount of damage done to the ground under the sphere, but nothing like what's in the video.

I'm going to keep plugging away at running the server to try and get the whole thing exploded so I can take some pictures of what the final crater looks like. From the looks of things, it's certainly going to be a wide crater, but it won't be all nice and pretty like the video's. It also won't be all that deep.

ZealousD

Seems pretty obvious the video was bunk, then.

But at this point, I would sort like to see what kind of damage that kind of TNT might actually do. The obvious solution is to light the TNT at the top of the ball. You'll get a lot less wasted TNT that way.

JoseJX

I wonder if the ice in the video made a difference too? I don't know if TNT behaves differently on ice compared to regular water. Might be something else to try if you're still interested. :) Thanks for the interesting experiment!

Articalys

The Minecraft site just updated with a slick new layout and a pretty neat user-created video to replace the old roller coaster one. Sadly this means the line "Minecraft is a game about placing blocks and running from skeletons. Or something like that." is now gone.

Fun fact: Minecraft's total gross revenue to date is over $10,000,000. Not bad for a little Java project from some guy in Sweden.

Vlad

ZealousD said:
Seems pretty obvious the video was bunk, then.

But at this point, I would sort like to see what kind of damage that kind of TNT might actually do. The obvious solution is to light the TNT at the top of the ball. You'll get a lot less wasted TNT that way.

JoseJX said:
I wonder if the ice in the video made a difference too? I don't know if TNT behaves differently on ice compared to regular water. Might be something else to try if you're still interested. :) Thanks for the interesting experiment!

Yeah, I had been thinking about it and there's a couple more scenarios I want to try:

- First I want to do a sort of combination of the two ideas above... I'm going to find myself a snow biome and make the TNT ball over ice, but also light it from the top.

- Second, I going to attempt to do the absolute most damage with a ball of TNT that size. So instead of having the thing above ground, I'm going to put it underground, with only the top layer exposed.

There's one thing I need to figure out to make the whole process automated, though... I want to see if there's any way to have the server auto-run again once it auto-stops/crashes/whatever. Right now I have to manually restart it, and it since it only runs for a couple minutes at times before stopping and it requires a LOT of restarts, it's a really time-consuming and tedious process.

EDIT: Ok, found a batch file on the Minecraft forums that seems to be doing the trick of auto-restarting the server. I'll let it run and finish this experiment, then I'll proceed with the "lighting it from the top over ice" test.

I've been having issues with my mouse. Every few minutes, very frequently, my mouse becomes extremely senstitive and spasms at the slightest jerk. I'm using a Razer Deathadder. Is it a driver issue? I don't want to change my mouse.

SumPog

Neo Member
ChoklitReign said:
I've been having issues with my mouse. Every few minutes, very frequently, my mouse becomes extremely senstitive and spasms at the slightest jerk. I'm using a Razer Deathadder. Is it a driver issue? I don't want to change my mouse.

o_O what's the sensitivity like in the game options? You could try going in to the Control Panel and fiddling around with stuff there and/or change/check your mouse pad.

KillerAJD

ChoklitReign said:
I swear it's been happening to me as well. There's a couple screw holes on my desk, so I figured that might have had something to do with it, but it doesn't happen outside of Minecraft.

Jasoco

Banned
MrMister said:
I can't wait until Notch adds in Obsidian tools, that's one of my most desired updates!
As long as they last for a verrrrrrrry long time. Not that it's hard to find more. Especially since it's easier to find Obsidian in the wild than it is to find diamond. Even if you don't make it yourself. Has he said he would?

ckohler

Jasoco said:
As long as they last for a verrrrrrrry long time. Not that it's hard to find more. Especially since it's easier to find Obsidian in the wild than it is to find diamond. Even if you don't make it yourself. Has he said he would?
Obsidian tools sound cool but they would make finding diamond pretty worthless considering you can easily create obsidian where as you can only find diamond.

Jasoco

Banned
ckohler said:
Obsidian tools sound cool but they would make finding diamond pretty worthless considering you can easily create obsidian where as you can only find diamond.
Then he needs to make diamond easier to find god dammit. Because it is a pain in the ass right now.

jman2050

ckohler said:

Could always actually make obsidian tools less useful than diamond tools. Even if that doesn't make total sense logically *shrug*

Jasoco said:
Then he needs to make diamond easier to find god dammit. Because it is a pain in the ass right now.

The game is sorely lacking for goals right now aside from "I want to build x" and you want to make currently existing goals easier?

sorry guys I know this discussion has come up ten million times I just can't help myself :(

jman2050 said:
Could always actually make obsidian tools less useful than diamond tools. Even if that doesn't make total sense logically *shrug*

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure some lava rock is not going to be as strong as a big hunk of diamond.

jman2050

HappyBivouac said:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure some lava rock is not going to be as strong as a big hunk of diamond.

One would think that, but then, no other rock in the game requires 15 seconds of mining with diamond to harvest :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom