• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

jman2050 said:
One would think that, but then, no other rock in the game requires 15 seconds of mining with diamond to harvest :p

Obsidian tools should be stronger than diamond, in the sense that they don't take as much damage from mining and last longer. BUT, obsidian can be brittle, and while you take less consistant damage they should be prone to real breakage, and have a higher chance to just randomly disappear while you're mining.

ckohler

I agree! I've been doing a bunch of strip mining and only come across a handful of Diamond ore.

Also, they could make it do that using an obsidian pick on the wrong material will shatter easily but using it on the right stuff lasts a long time. A risk/reward type thing.

Obsidian weapons should be a lot stronger than iron but weaker than diamond. It's about as rare as gold so it makes sense. I actually think he should make diamond weapons stronger but not invincible.

Jasoco

Banned
Update came out and the custom controls are still not remembering their settings. How did he break this? I hope he fixes it by the Beta. I've tweeted three times and never got a reply. I can't even tell if he knows!

On the other hand, he did tweet that leaves will be fixed by the 20th! So that's something!!

upandaway

jman2050 said:
Could always actually make obsidian tools less useful than diamond tools. Even if that doesn't make total sense logically *shrug*
Obsidian will mine everything slower but last a lot longer, like, 6x as long as diamond but 2x as slow

Then boost the speed of diamond (mining iron, diamond and obsidian), and the balance is complete.

Insaniac

quick ques:

I made a portal at my spawn.

Then i traveled to a cave far away in the real world and made a portal there, and entered, came out at the same portal that the one at my spawn leads to. Is the second portal now useless cause it doesn't seem to do much

Insaniac

upandaway said:
Obsidian will mine everything slower but last a lot longer, like, 6x as long as diamond but 2x as slow

Then boost the speed of diamond (mining iron, diamond and obsidian), and the balance is complete.

I say just make obsidian tools last like 33% longer than iron or something, but incapable of mining for certain ores? So obsidian tools would be great for stripmining through rocks / cobblestone but you need iron tools to gather up iron ore, gold or diamond etc

edit: oops double post :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Community Tower is finally complete for Gafland 3! Getting those floors organized was a surprising amount of work. =X

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
...So THIS is where the Minecraft thread went! Thought it was destroyed or something.

So what's been added recently? The last update I heard about was support for custom texture packs and whatnot.

Vlad

ZealousD said:
Community Tower is finally complete for Gafland 3! Getting those floors organized was a surprising amount of work. =X

I just took a look around, and yeah, that must have taken forever.

Aside from all the potential materials, one of the things I hope really gets added is better inventory management. Stuff like Shift-Clicking on an item to automatically send it to or from the chest, or something similar to act as a "craft all" function that will craft as many items as can be crafted from the items in the crafting squares. So for example, instead of clicking 64 times to make 64 ladders when I've got all the sticks in place, I could just Shift-Click on the ladder to have it just automatically make all the ladders at once.

Inkwell

Banned
Vlad said:
I just took a look around, and yeah, that must have taken forever.

Aside from all the potential materials, one of the things I hope really gets added is better inventory management. Stuff like Shift-Clicking on an item to automatically send it to or from the chest, or something similar to act as a "craft all" function that will craft as many items as can be crafted from the items in the crafting squares. So for example, instead of clicking 64 times to make 64 ladders when I've got all the sticks in place, I could just Shift-Click on the ladder to have it just automatically make all the ladders at once.
I honestly thought this would have been added in by now. it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to add.

creeper shirt at thinkgeek
e71d_minecraft_creeper.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/gaming/e71d/?i=front

jiien

Going to buy this game today. I've heard the name Minecraft tossed around everywhere, but the screens and impressions I've been seeing (which seemed to be mostly about multiplayer) were putting me off to what seemed to be just a sandbox thing. Saw some videos last night of the single player (didn't know it existed), and I MUST BUY THIS GAME.

Vlad

jiien said:
Going to buy this game today. I've heard the name Minecraft tossed around everywhere, but the screens and impressions I've been seeing (which seemed to be mostly about multiplayer) were putting me off to what seemed to be just a sandbox thing. Saw some videos last night of the single player (didn't know it existed), and I MUST BUY THIS GAME.

Well, it pretty much is a sandbox thing in that there's no real goal to work towards. You can get yourself in a survivable situation fairly quickly (the first night is always the worst), so a lot of the game is just exploring and building stuff, at the moment.

ckohler

I'm a much bigger fan of single-player than multi-player. Mostly because the multi-player is so buggy but also because I know someone won't mess up my creations when I'm not around.

Vlad

ckohler said:
I'm a much bigger fan of single-player than multi-player. Mostly because the multi-player is so buggy but also because I know someone won't mess up my creations when I'm not around.

You should try playing on the GAF server. Aside from a few scattered griefing incidents which were quickly dealt with, there's really been no huge incidents I can think of. I used to be a solely SP person, but I haven't touched it since I really got into MP.

And yes, it is a little buggy still, but it's still plenty playable.

kennah

And the GAF community is really great. I haven't touched my SP game (or any of the real life stuff I have to do) since the server refreshed.

pirata

Does anyone know how the gift codes work? Does a person have to have an email address to receive one? Can I just get the code and pm a person on steam?

kennah

JodyAnthony said:
I started my mp life with the new gaf server and love it. Glad to know I had a hand in a couple floors of that community tower.
Haha, my wife and I actually watched you work on it for a bit, she found it funny you going around and around and around.

Multiplayer questions:
1. What's the IP address for the GAF server? How do I find the address for any server?
2. How do you use voice chat?
3. Are there options to turn off monsters or turn on infinite blocks?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, if I could get the mp server IP, i'll show up randomly like always.

Been away for a couple weeks, what kind of new things are available now on MP?

Enemy Mobs? Nether Portal's Work?

Xater

Finally I bought Minecraft as well. Fooled around a bit to see how some stuff works, but I think I'll get more into it as soon as the beta starts.

asa

2531649 registered users, of which 807310 (31.88%) have bought the game!!

In the last 24 hours, 26879 people registered, and 15579 people bought the game.

If the sales keep up: 16k x 12(days left)= 192k, it is possible that this thing breaks million before end of the year.

Thought the price is increased when it hits beta, that might impact the sales. But it's holiday time and game hitting beta may trigger even more people buying it..

Blizzard

Banned
asa said:
2531649 registered users, of which 807310 (31.88%) have bought the game!!

In the last 24 hours, 26879 people registered, and 15579 people bought the game.

If the sales keep up: 16k x 12(days left)= 192k, it is possible that this thing breaks million before end of the year.

Thought the price is increased when it hits beta, that might impact the sales. But it's holiday time and game hitting beta may trigger even more people buying it..
Yeah, I just saw that. I'd guess a million within a couple months since it seems to drop to 4000-5000 a day or lower normally, but I may be underestimating greatly. I hope he's quick with fixes during that time period!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
so gaf heres the problem i built a house really high up and i wanted to make front lawn for it but when i put down dirt grass doesn't grow =( does grass just take time like 3~4 (minecraft) days? also this is all on a server.

heres a pic
id3Njg.PNG

Vlad

shadowcomplex said:
so gaf heres the problem i built a house really high up and i wanted to make front lawn for it but when i put down dirt grass doesn't grow =( does grass just take time like 3~4 (minecraft) days? also this is all on a server.

heres a pic

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Grass

Basically, grass will only spread to adjacent dirt blocks that aren't more than 2 levels above or below, and there has to be lots of light, too.

So for grass there, you'll have to make some dirt stairs from an existing grass area. Also, grass grows faster when there's more grass near it, so stairs thicker than one block will make the grass grow faster.

Blizzard

Banned
To beat the dead horse one more time...Notch just made over $200,000 USD in the last 24 hours, before taxes and Paypal fees. That's not too bad. I wonder what it will be like through the rest of the last day. Actually I'd better hurry and buy a couple of gift tickets now in case it's about to turn tomorrow in Sweden. :p

*edit* Awesome, trying to pay with VISA through Paypal rejected my card number and I don't know why. And the alternative payment method on the site also rejects it. I guess maybe I won't get any Minecraft gifts unless my credit card company is rejecting it to be safe. Logging into PayPal and paying with the bank + a credit card linked seemed to work, though I'll want to unlink that card once I make sure the payment went through. Ick.

IrishNinja

crap...when does this go into beta? price goes up then, right?
i wanna jump in, but i'm thinking someone might've gotten it for me as a christmas gift...i'd hate to hold out too long and pay double to give this one a go, though.

Blizzard

Banned
IrishNinja said:
crap...when does this go into beta? price goes up then, right?
i wanna jump in, but i'm thinking someone might've gotten it for me as a christmas gift...i'd hate to hold out too long and pay double to give this one a go, though.
I don't know if they're going to do it at midnight their time, or after the 20th is over or what, but if it ends when the date goes to the 20th, I guess it'll be some time in 10-12ish hours? http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=239

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And worst goes to worst, if someone else already got you the game as a gift, they (or you) can just give the code to someone else to download. :) Or supposedly you can even save the code for later, and it'll still count as an alpha account when someone uses it.

I think the server needs a reset when you get a chance to do so spot! There are a million ghost bagels logged in and the lag is unbearable at times.

Jasoco

Banned
Ghost bagels?

Just played my first real SMP game with a friend of a friend who showed me his secret lair in my friends server. I got blowed up by two creepers and survived somehow. This game is amazing. Can't wait for the update!

Question about buying Minecraft:

It says that buying in ALPHA gives you all the BETA updates for free + the DLC or whatever Notch is planning.

Does that include post-BETA release though ?

The way I read it is that ALPHA/BETA is one game, and full release is another.
I might be wrong here.

kennah

Buying in Alpha gets you everything Minecraft related for free for the rest of forever.

Buying in Beta means you get Full Release for free, and the POTENTIAL to pay for DLC.

They got rid of the clause for legal 'might bite me in the ass later' reasons. As it stands currently, Notch has no plans to ever charge for DLC.

Inkwell

Banned
IrishNinja said:
yeah, so i took the address hidden in there and put it into multiplayer under "enter the IP of the server you wish to connect to"...pretty sure i'm doing this wrong, since that looked more like an address than an IP. how do i go about joining GAF?
It will work. Sometimes there's something strange where copy and paste doesn't work. In that case you have to type it in manually.

Articalys

Cool world, though I think I'll wait for the beta until I try to log in again -- hopefully there'll be some extra stability included in that.
Also I'll check my Java to be sure it's up to date, got the socket error twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom