• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
jman2050 said:
I thought a dirt tile needed a tile with grass next to it to grow grass itself.

Vlad said:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Grass
Basically, grass will only spread to adjacent dirt blocks that aren't more than 2 levels above or below, and there has to be lots of light, too.
So for grass there, you'll have to make some dirt stairs from an existing grass area. Also, grass grows faster when there's more grass near it, so stairs thicker than one block will make the grass grow faster.
thanks guys, i am now gonna go back to watching grass grow =D

Insaniac

I can't be the only one who hopes Notch adds more uses for redstone. I've hit so many veins of redstone I don't know what to do with it. perhaps some crafting recipie that involves a wood/stone/iron tool and 8 pieces of redstone to increase the durability by 33% and 8 pieces of redstone + a diamond tool repairs the tool *shrug*

Jasoco

Banned
Insaniac said:
I can't be the only one who hopes Notch adds more uses for redstone. I've hit so many veins of redstone I don't know what to do with it. perhaps some crafting recipie that involves a wood/stone/iron tool and 8 pieces of redstone to increase the durability by 33% and 8 pieces of redstone + a diamond tool repairs the tool *shrug*
I'm hoping they are going to go through with that musical instrument idea. I soooo want to play with music.

OnPoint

Insaniac said:

I agree. I also wish there were more diamond, like most everyone else lol

Vlad

OnPoint said:
I agree. I also wish there were more diamond, like most everyone else lol

Eh, I think the diamond is just about right.

There's a delicate balance to be struck, really. Personally, I like it the way it is. It makes finding diamond a nice little surprise, since it's rare enough to be really valuable (especially once the too-drop-refresh bug gets fixed). If it becomes too common, then it'll just be a stronger version of iron, which will kind of take the value away from it.

As-is, it really presents a question for the player. If you've only got a few diamond, you really have to consider what you want to make out of it. Do you go for a sword? A pick? Shovel?

Jasoco

Banned
Then he needs to make iron tools last longer because I go through dozens of them to mine enough stone to build something. Iron should last half as long as diamond. And I still think obsidian would make nice tools too.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So he took out /home? Sucks, because I was struggling to find the community tower from my dig area, and eventually died from a fall, losing all my materials, including my diamond pickaxe.

Vlad

Lonestar said:
So he took out /home? Sucks, because I was struggling to find the community tower from my dig area, and eventually died from a fall, losing all my materials, including my diamond pickaxe.

That's why making a compass should be priority 1...

Or, if you want to cheat,
you could hold F3 to get your map coordinates

Mully

So does anyone else play on a laptop? I have been using my ACER Aspire for Minecraft and I don't think it has been a very good idea. The game takes a lot of RAM away from everything else, and if I am playing for more than an hour or two my laptop completely shuts down.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mully said:
So does anyone else play on a laptop? I have been using my ACER Aspire for Minecraft and I don't think it has been a very good idea. The game takes a lot of RAM away from everything else, and if I am playing for more than an hour or two my laptop completely shuts down.

Yeah I have the same issue :lol set fog to very low.. and rest your laptop on a frozen pizza base :(

Vlad

Mully said:

Yeah, I play on a laptop, and I've never had any issues. I have noticed it gets a little warmer, but it's got pretty good ventilation, so I've never had any serious issues.

Insaniac

Jasoco said:
Then he needs to make iron tools last longer because I go through dozens of them to mine enough stone to build something. Iron should last half as long as diamond. And I still think obsidian would make nice tools too.

I think you should be able to make obsidian swords/arrowheads and they would do more damage, but the swords wouldn't last as long as an iron or diamond one

IceMarker

Notch's Twitter said:
Included in the release today is leaf decay, working server-side inventory, throwable eggs, and less system hungry servers.
This update to Beta will be more notable than the Halloween update!

[/sarcasm]

Insaniac

can someone explain to me how to setup a no monster server so my friend and I can play? I downloaded that .exe but I don't know what the IP is or how to edit the values

Jasoco

Banned
Ugh, why do bookshelves take so much time and resources to make, and you can't even get them back when you break them?

Three reeds > Three papers > One book * 3 + Wood planks * 6 > One bookshelf

At least reeds are fast growing and near infinite like wood. Just wish they didn't have books on the sides too and weren't a whole tile wide. (Would be neat to see some half-tile blocks that were half horizontal instead of vertical. They'd just face the way you place them like stairs and other stuff. And would have wood for the sides.

Mully said:
I play on an Asus G50VT-X1

runs great

rezuth

Minecraft Beta
I just updated the client and the server to Minecraft Beta 1.0

* Working server-side inventory! Finally! (And as a result of that, a whole pile of bugs and issues got fixed)
* Made SMP servers save chunks way less often in most cases. Chunks don’t resave if they got saved in the last 30 seconds
* Moving too far away from a container, or having it blow up, closes the inventory screen
* Fixed /kill
* Introduced leaf decay again. It acts differently from before
* You can now throw eggs
* On a whim, added super exclusive clan cloaks for Mojang Employees
* .. and something else, which is even more rare

jiien

Vlad said:
Well, it pretty much is a sandbox thing in that there's no real goal to work towards. You can get yourself in a survivable situation fairly quickly (the first night is always the worst), so a lot of the game is just exploring and building stuff, at the moment.

Yeah, I am definitely addicted. SO GOOD. Far better than anything I thought it would be. I like the lack of a story, or any major goals beyond your desire to explore and survive more than I thought I would. Basically blew all weekend on it, and bought a gift code or two to give to friends who I have promised to convert.

The base game is already amazing, and the mods just make it heavenly. I'm excited for more RPG elements.

Vlad

Played around with it for a few minutes...

Nice thing for new people (and for when trying out new texture packs) is that there are tooltips in the inventory now. Now there will be an official name for any new material, although I'm not entirely thrilled about the red Nether stuff being called Netherrack.

On the downside, though, my SP framerate is absolutely awful. The game used to studder a bit when it first loaded and when generating new terrain, but I'm currently surrounded by areas I've been before, and I'm barely going over 5 FPS.

WillyFive

The reduction in performance was terrible, but it seems to be fixed now with the patch.

ChoklitReign said:
Oh god I need help pronto. I got some massive amounts of loot and I'm stuck under ice underwater. How do I break it? I might not have a chance ;_;

You can't dig yourself around?

ZZMitch

Notch released the Minecraft soundtrack for free a while back right?

If so, where can I get it?

Gunna try out Beta now... between this and Steam sales... >.<

WedgeX

Banned
Finally put some more time into my main world after a long hiatus.

Went digging through my ridiculously large cave that's under my main home. Got out a fair amount of red stone and even some diamonds!

While exploring the cave looped back up towards the surface, and wanted to see where the heck I had ended up. And then came the water. Oh the water! Well, ocean really. I am glad that water does not work the same way as it does in classic. Otherwise my entire cave would have flooded out and I would have died, diamonds in hand (well, inventory).

For visual reference:

minecraftflooding.png

No idea if that is a huge cave by others standards, but its the largest I've come across thus far.

Atomski

ChoklitReign said:
Same problem here. Maybe it has to do with older assets.

I was thinking it may have to do with the trees. I have fields of trees I have used the wood but was to lazy to get rid of the leaves. Now leaves are disappearing all over the place so that may be why my game is performing so bad.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow, they sure did mess up the performance for beta. The game is unplayable in single player for me right now, it just stutters too much. Guess I'll wait until they fix it to start playing the beta. I really wanted to mine tonight too.

thespot84

thespot84 said:
Be home soon to work on the server

The server is inoperable until the wrapper is updated. The wrapper kicks you immediately after loading for sending bad packets, and running the vanilla server simply refuses connections. Unless anyone has suggestions I'm at a loss until McAdmin is updated

Vlad

Mengy said:
Wow, they sure did mess up the performance for beta. The game is unplayable in single player for me right now, it just stutters too much. Guess I'll wait until they fix it to start playing the beta. I really wanted to mine tonight too.

Like someone mentioned upthread, try starting a new world. My main single-player world was running pretty lousy after the Beta update, but new worlds were fine (after the "generating all the new terrain" jitters, of course). Not only that, but after the second update today I went back to my main world (which was running horribly before) and it seems fine now.

Vlad

thespot84 said:
The server is inoperable until the wrapper is updated. The wrapper kicks you immediately after loading for sending bad packets, and running the vanilla server simply refuses connections. Unless anyone has suggestions I'm at a loss until McAdmin is updated

Hmmm... maybe try a different wrapper or server mod, of course assuming that:

1. There's one that isn't broken.
2. They're easy to switch around.

It's odd that the server by itself is refusing connections, though. I was under the impression that the wrapper didn't handle any of the server connectivity, but instead just did its own thing on top of what the server was already doing.

Have you tried re-downloading the server exe/jar so that the base server is up-to-date?

EDIT: Hmph... yeah, I see you did update the server itself. It's not giving me "out of date" messages any more, just that the connection was refused.

EDIT 2: Can you connect to the server from the machine it's running on (running the client at connecting to 127.0.0.1)?

thespot84

Vlad said:
Hmmm... maybe try a different wrapper or server mod, of course assuming that:

1. There's one that isn't broken.
2. They're easy to switch around.

It's odd that the server by itself is refusing connections, though. I was under the impression that the wrapper didn't handle any of the server connectivity, but instead just did its own thing on top of what the server was already doing.

Have you tried re-downloading the server exe/jar so that the base server is up-to-date?

EDIT: Hmph... yeah, I see you did update the server itself. It's not giving me "out of date" messages any more, just that the connection was refused.

EDIT 2: Can you connect to the server from the machine it's running on (running the client at connecting to 127.0.0.1)?

I downloaded the server.exe from minecraft.net to run it on the server vanilla (different directory, new world etc). I didn't get connection refused, however when I tried connecting from another computer it says 'logging in' and it crashed the server twice.

I remote into the server, so I can't run minecraft directly on the server because Java doesn't work over RDP. I'd have to rip apart my desk to hook up a monitor/keyboard to it. I tried running a vanilla server on my main computer and connecting via localhost and it worked fine.

EDIT:

I was able to get rid of the 'connection refused' error when using the server.jar in the old mcadmin folder. mcadmin does play with the connection, and there were some lines in the server-properties file that needed to be commented out and the server-ip needed to be changed from localhost to null. I can now get to 'logging in', however it still crashes the server (the actual machine, i have to reboot every time). Any ideas are welcome.

EDIT2:

I've got nothing. Waiting for mcadmin update, PM me of you see anything about it being updated or hit me up on steam (gaf id=steam id)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom