• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

WedgeX said:
minecraftflooding.png

Wow that was close.

I am always terrified of digging up because that might happen.

thespot84

Yo Gotti said:
Too choppy to play.

Tried tweaking CPU's, Priority, etc, choppy. Started a new world and still, hella choppy.

Fix that chop.

Yeah vlad and I tried more switcharoos to no avail, waiting for updates now.

Vlad

Willy105 said:
Wow that was close.

Of all the threats that come from digging up, hitting water is probably the least lethal. It's far, far worse to hit lava, gravel, or sand. Water doesn't spread far enough to really flood a mine, it's easy to cut off, and the worst that will happen is that it takes out some of your torches.

samoset

Well I'm done until the performance issues get sorted out. I'm mainly suffering from chunks being updated really slowly crashing my frame-rate into the 20's where it was about in the 70's prior to beta. Chunks update so slowly that I'll basically only have 3-4 blocks ahead of me in visibility after it loads performance gets better, but its basically making exploration impossible and initial load-ups painful. Starting a new world doesn't help at all either.

I've also hit a bug where I keep falling through one of the floors in my house and drowning in the dirt:lol :(

Jasoco

Banned
I don't know about everyone else, but my MineCraft updated and runs like a champ. And my world is 127MB and it runs just as smooth as before.

I don't have any mods though but I do use Frendan's awesome texture pack.

Plus I'm on OS X, and have heard a lot of Mac users were having problems.

Maybe I'm the odd man out.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Wish my laptop was powerful enough to handle that occular occlusion(??) lighting... makes the games simple art style look a lot more believable.

todahawk

Insaniac said:
came across this epic landscape while wandering far from homebase...
Love this game

fkinhockinghills.png

Gorgeous.

I'll have to post some pix of my second world. Spawned with TONS of coal and for my first night I made a little nook by a water fall, which opened up into a huge cavern underneath. It includes most of the mountain. Great little fortress in the making.

This game taps into something very deep for me. I used to walk for hours, exploring as a kid.

Salaadin

samoset said:
Well I'm done until the performance issues get sorted out. I'm mainly suffering from chunks being updated really slowly crashing my frame-rate into the 20's where it was about in the 70's prior to beta. Chunks update so slowly that I'll basically only have 3-4 blocks ahead of me in visibility after it loads performance gets better, but its basically making exploration impossible and initial load-ups painful. Starting a new world doesn't help at all either.

I was actually trying to set up my first server last night and had the same issue. When I first logged onto the server, Id be sitting at 8-20 FPS until everything loaded...then itd shoot up to the 100s. It took maybe 15-20 seconds to stabilize.

webrunner

Me and my GF are taking turns working on our world.. We're hollowing out a mountain to use as a base (we already have a floor half done with windows along a corner)

..Although finding ores is proving to be difficult. I've found 4-5 from about 10 pickaxes worth of mining down at an angle. I'm starting to doubt there's any caverns down here at all.

The mountain is also an island too so getting string is proving to be hard.. spiders keep dropping to the bottom of the sea.

Salaadin

Forgot to ask: If Im running a server, where does the map data get saved? Is it still possible to use a map viewer to get a nice look at it? Is it also still possible to use an editor of some sort to change spawn location?

WillyFive

Got the on-screen map, very useful.

Also, I have decided that having a home base at the top of a mountain is dumb, when all the good stuff is deep underground.

So I am going to make a move to someplace where there is more land so that I can grow some trees, and maybe suck less at this game. Compared to other guys on Youtube and here, I am like a hobo in this game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
greenjerk said:
This game taps into something very deep for me. I used to walk for hours, exploring as a kid.

Yeah, nice way of saying the same feeling that I get from the game. WoW Cataclysm is out and I'm spending more time with this indie one man java show called Minecraft than I am with a Blizzard game. And it's because of the feeling I get when playing this game. Hard to explain exactly what it is...

WillyFive

I agree, this is exploration at it's best.

Also, we need more pictures!

This is my house at the top of a mountain, which I will abandon due to lack of available space for expansion (and it's a pain to climb the mountain every time I go down to the caves):

1662255-99d6370e_0e60_4f1c_8a26_2055ee71c269_0003.jpg

And here are some 3D shots of the ladder I made this morning from the surface to the top of the mountain. From the top:

1662256-metoer_fall_fast_cropped_in_version_for_duel_0001.jpg

and from the bottom:

1662257-paragraph_1_0001.jpg

The stuff you see on the ground is the stuff I dropped after I missed the ledge at the top and plunged to my death.

webrunner

Willy105 said:
I agree, this is exploration at it's best.

Also, we need more pictures!

This is my house at the top of a mountain, which I will abandon due to lack of available space for expansion (and it's a pain to climb the mountain every time I go down to the caves):

-cut-

And here are some 3D shots of the ladder I made this morning from the surface to the top of the mountain. From the top:

-cut-

and from the bottom:

-cut-

The stuff you see on the ground is the stuff I dropped after I missed the ledge at the top and plunged to my death.

I'm stillllllll in a dreeeaaaammmmm....

WillyFive

I am guessing you can't get back your items if you die in lava, right?

Yaweee said:
Are there any (physical) store chains that sell the red-blue 3D glasses?

Probably not.

I got mine from DVD movies that came with them, which with the advent of 3DTV's, they probably won't be bringing those types of glasses anymore. Otherwise, you may have to build them yourself or order them.

todahawk

Mengy said:
Yeah, nice way of saying the same feeling that I get from the game. WoW Cataclysm is out and I'm spending more time with this indie one man java show called Minecraft than I am with a Blizzard game. And it's because of the feeling I get when playing this game. Hard to explain exactly what it is...

Yeah, this game sucked me in, totally surprised me. I stayed up til 3:30AM the night I downloaded it. And I never do shit like that. I have a huge backlog of PS3 and PC games that I'm not touching, I keep coming back to Minecraft. I'll break that with some BC2: Vietnam tonight but I'm fearing for my job and family life once I touch the GAF MP minecraft server.

Vlad

Willy105 said:
I am guessing you can't get back your items if you die in lava, right?

Well, it's not that simple. When you die, your stuff gets thrown around the spot where you died. So, if you died in the middle of a huge pool of lava then your stuff is most likely gone. However, if you died near the edge of the lava, then there's a good chance that some of your inventory was thrown clear of the lava and not destroyed.

WillyFive

Vlad said:
Well, it's not that simple. When you die, your stuff gets thrown around the spot where you died. So, if you died in the middle of a huge pool of lava then your stuff is most likely gone. However, if you died near the edge of the lava, then there's a good chance that some of your inventory was thrown clear of the lava and not destroyed.

Ok. Well, it was all my fault anyway.

Jasoco

Banned
Did the update today fix anything or add anything other than the framerate that I wasn't having problems with anyway?

I still don't know what the "secret rare thing" is yet.

Vlad

Willy105 said:
Ok. Well, it was all my fault anyway.

In Minecraft, it usually is.

Jasoco said:
Did the update today fix anything or add anything other than the framerate that I wasn't having problems with anyway?

Yeah, it's odd that he didn't even post anything about the patch on his blog. It just sort of appeared.

Of course, the other thing wouldn't be rare and secret if everybod knew what it was a day after it was put into the game.

Jasoco

Banned
kennah said:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but clay seems to be WAY more common in my single player worlds.
Nah. That's been like that since Halloween. I have a whole three chests FULL of clay from all the stuff I've found.

WedgeX

Banned
Willy105 said:
Wow that was close.

Vlad said:
Of all the threats that come from digging up, hitting water is probably the least lethal. It's far, far worse to hit lava, gravel, or sand. Water doesn't spread far enough to really flood a mine, it's easy to cut off, and the worst that will happen is that it takes out some of your torches.

Yeah that's why I was glad it wasn't classic water, not that you could die then anyways.

Still terrifying when water comes pouring in :lol

Started up a new world, and it's already getting interesting!

An epic tree on an outcropping. Some sort of tower will have to accompany it, some day.

minecraftworld4epictree.jpg

Water is popping up in lots of random places, such as the top of this hill. So damn scenic.

minecraftworld4randomwater.jpg

And I've got a new home!

minecraftworld4newhome.jpg

Doesn't look like much? Pssh!

minecraftworld4newhomeholeintheearth.jpg

The waterfall, as viewed from the bottom (well...not really but you'll see!)

minecraftworld4cave2.jpg

The cave opens up further yet, with lava lighting the abyss.

minecraftworld4cave5.jpg

Some good exploring is ahead!

Atomski

Jasoco said:

XJDhN.png

deadmou5_inline.png

This is what the minecraft forums are saying. Which seems lame to me...

Jasoco

Banned
Atomski said:
XJDhN.png

This is what the minecraft forums are saying. Which seems lame to me...
Nah. Couldn't be. That's just a mod he installed on his server end. Anyone can do that. And if all goes according to plan, the mod system may allow stuff like that to follow the player wherever they go. It has to be something else. Seeing as I doubt Deadmau5 goes from random server to random server just for people to get a glimpse. Though... I dunno. Does seem lame. Though it would mean anyone could make their player model look however they want. I think the player model should be something you upload like you do your skin that would follow your player and download to any server you join. I can imagine the possibilities if the model editor was easy to use.

Speaking of which... what is Deadmau5' server anyway? And does "Deadmau5" need an apostrophe s when you make it possessive? Or does a simple apostrophe suffice? I don't know the grammatical rules when it comes to numbers masquerading as letters.

Willy105 said:
Bamboo? I haven't seen those plants yet.
They're called "reeds" and they're fairly rare, but they grow like WILDFIRE. You get three from a stack, plant one next to water and in a few minutes you have three again. So you can triple your amount then triple it again then again. It is used to make paper to make books to make bookshelves. And to look cool. Just find one stack and that's all you need to make a grand library.

webrunner

Jasoco said:
Nah. Couldn't be. That's just a mod he installed on his server end. Anyone can do that. And if all goes according to plan, the mod system may allow stuff like that to follow the player wherever they go. It has to be something else. Seeing as I doubt Deadmau5 goes from random server to random server just for people to get a glimpse. Though... I dunno. Does seem lame. Though it would mean anyone could make their player model look however they want. I think the player model should be something you upload like you do your skin that would follow your player and download to any server you join. I can imagine the possibilities if the model editor was easy to use.

Speaking of which... what is Deadmau5' server anyway? And does "Deadmau5" need an apostrophe s when you make it possessive? Or does a simple apostrophe suffice? I don't know the grammatical rules when it comes to numbers masquerading as letters.

They're called "reeds" and they're fairly rare, but they grow like WILDFIRE. You get three from a stack, plant one next to water and in a few minutes you have three again. So you can triple your amount then triple it again then again. It is used to make paper to make books to make bookshelves. And to look cool. Just find one stack and that's all you need to make a grand library.

Well, Notch confirmed it:

1zev1ub.jpg

Answers that, then.

Atomski

Yeah that is lame, why would you tease something that the average player wouldn't even care about.

You are a fan of Deadmau5 and hes a fan of your game.. ok..

Jasoco

Banned
kennah said:
Why would that need a blogged update :( Everyone hunting for nothing.
Maybe it's a trick to throw people off? Now when they come upon it, it'll still be a surprise....?

Maybe?

Also, anyone know if:

A) I can change the F-key combos to something else? I have my F-keys set to launch apps and can't use them when in MineCraft. So I'd love to be able to remap them.

B) They can be toggled? I wouldn't mind having all the data on screen most of the time from the F3 display. Well, everything but the graph. I do like all the other info though. Like the XYZ location and FPS counter.

What all the keys do? F1 hides the HUD, F2 does a screenshot, F3 does info...

Speaking of the Info: What do all the sections/letters mean?

Atomski said:
Yeah that is lame, why would you tease something that the average player wouldn't even care about.

You are a fan of Deadmau5 and hes a fan of your game.. ok..
I don't think I've ever listened to him. I also don't know who C418 is either but whatever.

from the ars technica article comments...

random poster said:
Hello, gamers. Look at your house. Now back at mine, now back at your house, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't a mine. But if you stopped playing that flavor of the month fps, you could build something like this! Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a tower which you built with your own hands. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it, it's a pickaxe made of stone and wood. Look again, the pickaxe is now diamond. Anything is possible when you play Minecraft and not some other game. I'm on a pig.

Kuran

Banned
Meh... I think the success got to Notch's head, he seems really arrogant now.

I logged into the game and updated it, it is now in beta. I can't really spot the differences.

I can't believe he asked fans to create video content for his website, why not just pay them? And why is his website redesign so shitty? You have the money to pay a talented designer.. so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom