• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
It's still an Indie game. Those things will come in time. Also, leaves now disappear again, but a lot faster than before Halloween. A lot faster.

Vlad

out0v0rder said:
from the ars technica article comments...

That seems to be a reference to something, but I don't believe I know what...

Kuran said:
Meh... I think the success got to Notch's head, he seems really arrogant now.

I logged into the game and updated it, it is now in beta. I can't really spot the differences.

Arrogant? How so?

And he's always said that once Multiplayer has functioning health/inventory, he'd consider it beta. What were the differences you were expecting to see?

And as far as the soundtrack goes, the music files are stored as .ogg files in .minecraft\resources\music and \newmusic.

I don't know if he ever released an official "soundtrack" or anything, seeing as the soundtrack isn't actually done yet, as far as I'm aware. You might be thinking of when C418 (the guy who makes the music for Minecraft) released his album for free somewhat recently.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I decided to start a new world just to see what I get. I've been thinking about starting fresh for awhile now, what with the lake and lava changes and whatnot. So I spawn for the first time and see this:

Minecraft1_0001.jpg

Minecraft1_0002.jpg

A very good start. I take a walk for a bit to get a higher viewpoint:

Minecraft1_0004.jpg

Awesome. Simply awesome.

My spawn point is in the middle of this awesome mountain cliff range. So yeah, I'm going to abandon my 50MB world for now and start afresh. My new base is going to be among, inside, and underneath these mountains. I'm going dwarf on this world, very few above ground buildings. I will build among the terrain, into the scenery, and below the earth.

Insaniac

SumPog said:
I wonder if it's possible to replace the music files of minecraft with your own ones...

i'd really like to do that.

I'd love some FF crystal chronicles music playing when i'm in a cave mining or adventuring, and then some windwaker sailing music when I'm on my boat :3

Vlad

SumPog said:
I wonder if it's possible to replace the music files of minecraft with your own ones...

I imagine it would be a simple matter of just replacing the .ogg files with .ogg files of your own and renaming them to what the originals were called.

thespot84

I'm going to leave the server up though it's not functioning properly. I can connect fine on LAN but WAN clients get kicked constantly. if ANYONE is able to stay connected for an extended period of time please PM me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've noticed a few things since the game went beta:

- Even though the framerates seem to be back to normal, the game's performance is not. Terrain regen at far distances during gameplay is much slower for me now, going to the escape menu seems to be the only way to get the terrain to regen quickly.

- Leaf decay is back, and sapling's are more plentiful then ever. Almost ridiculously so. Also, leaves seem to decay even if touching the ground, that wasn't so before. It seems to me that just removing the trunk is enough to "kill" the leaves.

Jasoco said:
Explain. Does it just not kill you? Or does the death countdown just take longer?
If you get caught on fire your health keeps regenerating around 2 or 3 heart. I need to keep a bucket of water on me at all times :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:
I've noticed a few things since the game went beta:

- Leaf decay is back, and sapling's are more plentiful then ever. Almost ridiculously so. Also, leaves seem to decay even if touching the ground, that wasn't so before. It seems to me that just removing the trunk is enough to "kill" the leaves.
Definitely. I just turned a plains into a forest with the saplings I've gathered since the update yesterday.

ChoklitReign said:
If you get caught on fire your health keeps regenerating around 2 or 3 heart. I need to keep a bucket of water on me at all times :lol
Well, before the update, when you catch on fire, the fire would take a half a heart, then it would refill at the same rate it was taking away so you'd have to wait for the fire to burn out before you stop shaking. But you wouldn't die as long as you didn't get near the fire again.

thespot84

server is running, i've successfully connected from work w/o getting kicked. Others have been kicked, however, and it's having trouble loading chunks occasionally. Still pretty hazerdous overall...

Vlad

thespot84 said:
server is running, i've successfully connected from work w/o getting kicked. Others have been kicked, however, and it's having trouble loading chunks occasionally. Still pretty hazerdous overall...

Seems to be running great. I was on with Pirata just now, and the lag was a LOT less than usual. The Blackscreen bug is still around, though.

Vlad

Ok, after playing around on the server for an hour, here's what seems to be different from the Alpha days:

- Gravel and Sand actually animate correctly when falling now. They'll still hover mid-air if there's lag, but they actually slide smoothly down instead of just teleporting to the ground.

- TNT also animates correctly. I did a test with a single block, and both pirata and I were able to see the explosion exactly as it would have happend in single-player.

- No more regenerating tools by dropping them on the ground, unfortunately.

- Because of the new server-side inventory/chest stuff, chests, workbenches, and stoves act a little differently. Now, when you right click on one of these items, you have to wait for the server before you actually start using them. This means that there will be a slight to somewhat non-slight delay between right-clicking and actually seeing the screen pop up.

- The black-screen crash still happens.

- General performance seems to be better. I wasn't noticing as many lag spikes.

- Trees perform like they do in SP, and drop their leaves quickly and with many saplings produced.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vlad said:
- No more regenerating tools by dropping them on the ground, unfortunately.

AAAAAaand that's it. I'm done. No more Minecraft.

I don't want to get into that grind of endlessly collecting ores for tools. Not fun.

Atomski

- The black-screen crash still happens.

I freakin hate this. It only happens when I play with the graphics set on far. I have a decent pc I don't understand why it should not be able to handle this.

AAAAAaand that's it. I'm done. No more Minecraft.

I don't want to get into that grind of endlessly collecting ores for tools. Not fun.

You not play the single player? I figured most would be use to this by now.

Also you could probably just run a server with kits..

ZealousD

Atomski said:
You not play the single player? I figured most would be use to this by now.

I did play the single player. Got bored/sick of it and was playing exclusively in multiplayer.

Also you could probably just run a server with kits..

Without people to play with I might as well just play Minecraft Classic. I was honestly spending too much time playing this game anyway. I don't even really like the game, I just got kind of addicted to it.

Man, Notch, I love ya, but it's pretty blatantly obvious why you decided to call it beta all of a sudden. :lol

There hasn't been nearly enough to truly call anything a landmark, but I guess Notch can do what he wants.

Insaniac

whats the black screen crash, because I've been getting times where the screen would freeze up but I could still move (albeit not see where i was going) so I would switch the game to windowed mode and it would fix itself. Then after playing for a while longer i'd get a black screen and it'd freeze. I was hoping it was minecraft and not a problem w/ my computer

Atomski

Man, Notch, I love ya, but it's pretty blatantly obvious why you decided to call it beta all of a sudden.

He pretty much said that once survival mode stuff worked in multiplayer it would go into beta. Thats sorta what he did :p

I was hoping it was minecraft and not a problem w/ my computer

I think most the problems are Javas fault :/

Would be cool if somehow down the line he made a non java port. I understand he wants it work in browser but ugh java..

Timan

Developer
I've been away from minecraft a few weeks.

So thespot is all the stuff in the old server gone? Basically started fresh again?

Blizzard

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Man, Notch, I love ya, but it's pretty blatantly obvious why you decided to call it beta all of a sudden. :lol

There hasn't been nearly enough to truly call anything a landmark, but I guess Notch can do what he wants.
What was the obvious reason?

I thought he had just been announcing (for several months?) that it would go into beta when XYZ survival multiplayer stuff worked. It's starting to get there, so they finally announced a release date for it. It's sorta close to what he said!

Performance improvements would be great. I dunno how much improvements he'll get doing 3D stuff in Java, but I guess we'll see!

Insaniac

Atomski said:
He pretty much said that once survival mode stuff worked in multiplayer it would go into beta. Thats sorta what he did :p

I think most the problems are Javas fault :/

Would be cool if somehow down the line he made a non java port. I understand he wants it work in browser but ugh java..

yeah... i'm hoping he moves out of java sooner than later...

anyhow my friend got a server running and its great except the crashes are often and inopportune :(

Vlad

Blizzard said:
What was the obvious reason?

I thought he had just been announcing (for several months?) that it would go into beta when XYZ survival multiplayer stuff worked. It's starting to get there, so they finally announced a release date for it. It's sorta close to what he said!

Exactly.

I don't know what all the complaining is about. Multiplayer works a hell of a lot better than it did when it was first introduced, and the game had to move out of Alpha at some point, so what exactly were all the complainers expecting?

Timan said:
I've been away from minecraft a few weeks.

So thespot is all the stuff in the old server gone? Basically started fresh again?

Yup, it's a fresh start. Spot said that he's going to put the old map up for download at some point, so at least we'll be able to revisit all the awesome places there.

ZealousD

Insaniac said:
yeah... i'm hoping he moves out of java sooner than later...

Moving out of Java would require a TON of work. 99% of his workload on this game has been coding. He could probably salvage a lot of the code if he just tried to straight convert it to C++ or C# or something, but it'd still take a hell of a lot of time. Not to mention that then he'd have to code all over again for Mac and Linux versions. He knew Java's limitations when he started. It's too late to back out now.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm done with minecraft until this whole black screen bug gets fixed. It's happening a whole lot more now.

Also, why did the spawn move?

MNC

How are monsters in SMP nowadays? My friend doesn't want to enable monsters or reset the server since so many people (5 >_>) built stuff on his own server.

Insaniac

MNC said:
How are monsters in SMP nowadays? My friend doesn't want to enable monsters or reset the server since so many people (5 >_>) built stuff on his own server.

if you're worried about destruction creepers are really your only problem

Just moved home, and my computer is working great again. There was something wrong with the relationship between my computer and the network. But more importantly I can play Minecraft again. Now I just need to organize my room since I just moved back home after graduating. I don't currently have a desk I can play on. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom