• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

dunno if you're still wondering but my friend and I were on neogaf server all night and it was pretty stable, laggy a little bit at times but that was probably on my end.

thespot84

Insaniac said:
dunno if you're still wondering but my friend and I were on neogaf server all night and it was pretty stable, laggy a little bit at times but that was probably on my end.

thanks I always appreciate feedback, I don't get a chance to play on anything other than LAN so bandwidth is always a question.

thespot84 said:
thanks I always appreciate feedback, I don't get a chance to play on anything other than LAN so bandwidth is always a question.
Could always play through a proxy every so often to test it.
I'm in the UK and so far it's running pretty damn good. Sometimes get a delay on mining but placing blocks has always been perfect.

The one actual issue for me is animals, fuckers don't take damage easily.
Most of the time they just bounce up and down infront of me smugly.
They eventually die after about a minute but then it takes forever to pick up their stuff too. :(

thespot84

DiabolicalBagel said:
Could always play through a proxy every so often to test it.
I'm in the UK and so far it's running pretty damn good. Sometimes get a delay on mining but placing blocks has always been perfect.

The one actual issue for me is animals, fuckers don't take damage easily.
Most of the time they just bounce up and down infront of me smugly.
They eventually die after about a minute but then it takes forever to pick up their stuff too. :(

Yeah that's why i'm still hesitant about monsters

Jasoco

Banned
The lack of diamond doesn't really bother me as much as the lack of iron does. If iron ore was even half as common as coal was it wouldn't be a problem. Iron is used for everything! Especially minecart tracks that take a freaking 6 bars and one single stick to make. (At least you get 16 at a time) Plus buckets, and the cart itself and don't forget iron doors. Iron is extremely important. I want to make a cart system, but iron is just so rare. I find coal all the time in groups of 8 on average. Sometimes 12 or 16. It's all over the place. Iron is rare if you find more than 2 at once. Let alone 4 or the elusive 8 blocks. Redstone is more common than Iron and Coal. And you get 5 each block.

Moar iron, please! It's part of a good Minecraft diet!

goldensun

Hey guys, 2 friends and I have been hosting a minecraft server for a few days and we decided we'd like more people in it.

Anyone who'd like to join in and contribute can drop me a PM and I'd be happy to let you have the server IP so you can check it out.

Jasoco

Banned
I really don't like that pack. It's so goddamned ugly. I wouldn't even use it if I were drunk. It looks like a 1990s just starting out CGI FMV. Horrible textures.

Moobabe

I was looking at the GAF thread for GOTY and I was pretty sure that Red Dead or ME2 were the ones competing at the top of my list. I already owned minecraft but the "crafting" side was always lost on me - I don't care for making things at all.

However, tonight me and my friend left the base a group of us had built and walked for three or four minecraft days - with food, armour, pickaxes - anything we'd need to survive. We've seen some amazing things - stuff I didn't even know was possible in the world generation - and the sense of exploration, isolation and awe is something I've never experienced in a game before.

Minecraft is GOTG - in fact - Minecraft may be the most significant step that I've ever experience in gaming at all.

Inkwell

Banned
I may have fixed my black screen crashing issue. Found out about this on the minecraft forums. I'm on Windows 7 64. I installed the 64-bit version of java. I can't say it fixed the problem for sure, but I was on the server for a decent amount of time with no black screens. I had to run the 64-bit version of IE to download it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Popped onto GAF server. Nice place. Think I'll try building a place. I'm thinking of hollowing out a big underground area and building an underground castle, right on the bedrock.

Atomski

Inkwell said:
I may have fixed my black screen crashing issue. Found out about this on the minecraft forums. I'm on Windows 7 64. I installed the 64-bit version of java. I can't say it fixed the problem for sure, but I was on the server for a decent amount of time with no black screens. I had to run the 64-bit version of IE to download it.

Oooooh will have to give this a try.

SumPog

Neo Member
Do you guys think a design like this:
24uxamu.jpg

would be effective for making mobs spawn and subsequently dropping to the next trap floor? I'm not too sure on the spawning restrictions, but wouldn't a zombie, badass skeleton-archer, spider or creeper spawn on one of those blocks, randomly move to the next and fall down? It would make sense. I think they generally move in basic directions, and not so much diagonally.

ckohler

This thread should help. Theoretically, it should work if light is low enough however mobs can also walk at angles and aren't guaranteed to fall through the holes. Also, kennah is correct, spiders won't fit. Technically, you are giving this room half the chance to spawn a mob since half of the floor's surface area is missing.

bengraven

SumPog said:
Do you guys think a design like this:
24uxamu.jpg

would be effective for making mobs spawn and subsequently dropping to the next trap floor? I'm not too sure on the spawning restrictions, but wouldn't a zombie, badass skeleton-archer, spider or creeper spawn on one of those blocks, randomly move to the next and fall down? It would make sense. I think they generally move in basic directions, and not so much diagonally.

What texture pack is that? Looks like a more cartoony version of Tronic, which I've been using for the last few months.

SumPog

Neo Member
bengraven said:
What texture pack is that? Looks like a more cartoony version of Tronic, which I've been using for the last few months.

Uh can't remember off-hand, I know ZZMitch uses it though. I need to rethink the design yet again.

OatmealMu

Way late to the party on this, but I just found out about the MCAdmin debacle. Writing in a backdoor and then copping an attitude when someone discovers it? What a little shit. What server software is the GAF server using anyway? I've been thinking of jumping back in for a bit.

Bradlums

Finally got on the gaf server after playing single player for awhile. Set up my base camp in the face of some epic looking over hanging cliffs with a most excellent secret entrance if I do say so myself. Feels good man :D

Xater

Some guy recreated A Link to the Past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2BcvowYl8&feature=player_embedded

This is a full recreation of Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past using Minecraft. This replication is to scale and is an accurate portrayal of the original SNES game. The map is 512 x 512 x 104. This project took over 100 hours to complete. As Minecraft releases more blocks and various features, the map will be adjusted to better represent the game.

Once Notch includes teleporting, I will be able to link dungeons, caves, and building interiors.

Inkwell

Banned
I can pretty much confirm that installing the 64-bit version of java has stopped my black screen crashes. I've put in between 2-3 hours without any black screens.

Also, please fix anything you destroy on the server. For example, someone took out the bottom portion of one of the stairs in the community tower. Maybe there was a specific reason. I don't really know, but the replacement blocks were just on the next floor up. Someone also entered the house I built and decided it would be a faster exit if they destroyed some glass, even though the door was right next to where they broke that glass. It was about a 2 second walk to the door. It's not a huge inconvenience but it's really damn annoying.

OatmealMu

JodyAnthony said:
wait, what's wrong with mcadmin?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1013&t=66067

The developers included in the wrapper what was essentially a backdoor. This allowed them to join servers running MCAdmin, and if inclined, do some nasty things. One unfortunate operator happened to run across and subsequently ban a developer named Doridian. In return, the server owner was also banned... from their own server. Later, the owner posted a complaint on the official Minecraft forums. Doridian henceforth proclaimed that it was his wrapper and he could do whatever the hell he wanted with it. His ultimate reasoning for this crap made him out as someone with psychological problems. Users complained, insults were thrown, and in the end, MCAdmin was made open source and the offending code was removed. Suffice to say, Doridian is low on the totem pole of trust in the Minecraft community.

I'm not going to sift through everything, but I think the current MCAdmin is safe to use. It has quite the history, though.

ZZMitch

Inkwell said:
I can pretty much confirm that installing the 64-bit version of java has stopped my black screen crashes. I've put in between 2-3 hours without any black screens.

Where did you find the download for that? On Javas website it doesn't say specificially for 64-bit..?

Inkwell

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Where did you find the download for that? On Javas website it doesn't say specificially for 64-bit..?
You have to go on the website with a 64-bit browser. You can just use the 64-bit version of IE. When you go to the download page it will say 64-bit at the top.

So that's why I've never had any of those black-screens issues?

Sweet that you guys can now enjoy it as I do, especially Inkwell: know you had terrible problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom