• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
I just noticed that on Twitter. I replied asking when we can expect it to be added. No answer. I never get an answer. Still, cannot wait for this! Alarms, musical computers, the possibilities will be amazing.

I still haven't played with redstone or minecarts yet. And I've had the game since August. I have so much redstone saved up.

Jasoco

Banned
Finally playing with Redstone. What kinds of cool stuff should I make? I'd love to make an adding machine or binary display or something. All I have right now is a pulser. Which is good for blinking lights and eventually alarms. But that's pretty meh.

I hope Notch adds more cool stuff that can be controlled/activated. Would be neat if torches could be activated (They give off more light than red torches) or even light stone. Or hell, portals.

Jasoco said:
What kinds of cool stuff should I make?

It's kind of pedestrian but I've been having lots of fun building switched minecart tracks where there's a punchable lever/button right before the junction.

Ugh, now I wonder if you could make a racetrack with multiple lanes and uninhabited carts going around like a slot car track, and try to negotiate around them...

Garcia

Guys, I was just looking for some Mods in Minecraft's Forum and just found this:

[CONTEST] Worth1000 is hosting a Minecraft building contest

I'm a HUGE fan of minecraft and I run Worth1000 (a popular photoshop contest site that has other creative sections as well). So I convinced the admins there to try a new format and run a Minecraft building contest and I'm even (personally) giving out 5 minecraft gift codes to some of the top entries.

I have seen a ton of amazing stuff on this particular board (though I am more active in the mods board) and think a lot of the awesome fan art would be perfect for the competition. Feel free to enter screenshots of any work you are proud of (8-bit art, sculptures, awesome structures are all welcome) - just please don't clutter the contest with crap trying to get the gift codes. :)

The contest costs nothing to enter and the winner will be featured on Worth1000's homepage.
Here's the link to those willing to try it out. Contest submissions end on January 10th.

http://multimedia.worth1000.com/contest ... ft-fan-art

I really hope to see your work there (and plan to enter myself)!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me here or by emailing avi@worth1000.com.

And please do update here if you intend to enter or if there are any other Minecraft contests you would like to see run?

EDIT 1:
Please note that you should not use Photoshop or other tools to make your entry - just take a screenshot or series of screenshots of your minecraft entry and upload this without any additional editing.

Anyone up to the challenge ? :)

Jasoco

Banned
Not A Fur said:
It's kind of pedestrian but I've been having lots of fun building switched minecart tracks where there's a punchable lever/button right before the junction.

Ugh, now I wonder if you could make a racetrack with multiple lanes and uninhabited carts going around like a slot car track, and try to negotiate around them...
What I want to know is how to make the perfect single rail perpetual back and forth track. Where a single cart will go down a single track, get to the end, then after a second or two get launched back down the opposite way, get to the end, stop for a second or two, then launch back off the way it came indefinitely.

I'd use a closed loop, but I'm just trying to figure out the best method for my minecart railway through the Nether to take me to all my important stops. Especially if I could have it stop at each portal before being flung off to the next one. I've researched so many different kinds of launchers and boosters including the neat Door Booster.
Door Booster on MineCraft Forums
Which would be good for launching it. You could hook it up to a pressure plate at the launch point, then have a delaying circuit to keep it from launching right away.

Thing is, a closed loop would take much more tracks, and thus more iron than a single track lane. And I don't believe in spawning. If I stoop to spawning, it'll ruin the game for me. So I want to keep it clean.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
What I want to know is how to make the perfect single rail perpetual back and forth track. Where a single cart will go down a single track, get to the end, then after a second or two get launched back down the opposite way, get to the end, stop for a second or two, then launch back off the way it came indefinitely.

Here's one I whipped up on Spot's server:

641g6s.png

I'm sure there's a cleaner way to do it, but it's definitely doable. Basically, when the cart in the middle hits either end of the track, it boosts the cart on the other track up the little incline. The cart hits the top, comes back down, and boosts the middle cart back towards the booster on the opposite side.

If you want to see it, go straight east from the community tower. Follow the main road (the 5-step-wide straight flat path) until you get to the huge circular hole in the water. This thing is at the bottom.

Jasoco

Banned
What's the best way to make a flat pool of lava? The trick that works with water doesn't seem to vcreate infinite lava springs like it does water. (Make a hole 2x2 and place water in two diagonal corners and it becomes an infinite spring that you can take water from indefinitely)

I want to make a glass floor with lava under it for lighting, but the trick won't work to make infinite lava that I can use to fill it up with. Is there a trick for lava? Or do I really need to go get a couple dozen buckets of lava to fill a floor?

I want it flat, not running. And no hacks.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
What's the best way to make a flat pool of lava? The trick that works with water doesn't seem to vcreate infinite lava springs like it does water. (Make a hole 2x2 and place water in two diagonal corners and it becomes an infinite spring that you can take water from indefinitely)

I want to make a glass floor with lava under it for lighting, but the trick won't work to make infinite lava that I can use to fill it up with. Is there a trick for lava? Or do I really need to go get a couple dozen buckets of lava to fill a floor?

I want it flat, not running. And no hacks.

It's that, unfortunately. Lava doesn't have any self-replicating properties like water does. You have to place every single square of lava manually.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
It's that, unfortunately. Lava doesn't have any self-replicating properties like water does. You have to place every single square of lava manually.
Well that's gonna be a lot of fun. Seeing as I'll have to take the 9 buckets I have back and forth between the Nether and my Tower of Babel a million times.

Garcia

Jasoco said:
Well that's gonna be a lot of fun. Seeing as I'll have to take the 9 buckets I have back and forth between the Nether and my Tower of Babel a million times.

Sounds like the only way to do it unfortunately since you don't want any hacks :/ .

Vlad

Jasoco said:

Well, you don't necessarily have to go to the Nether. I did a huge lava-related thing in SP a while back, and I ended up digging down to the bedrock and poking around until I found some lava deposits. Then I set up a quickie minecart track to get from the construction site to the lava pool(s) and back. It still took a LONG time, but it was a lot more secure than poking around in the Nether would be.

Also, make lots of buckets. Aside from a sword, pickaxe, and some torches, my inventory was entirely filled with buckets, to minimize the number of trips I had to make.

Sure, this plan requires a ton of iron, but if you're using lots of lava, it's worth it to save time.

SumPog

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there is a efficient way to build floors/ledges/verandahs/balconies? I'm talking about being on top of a mountain and trying to build something over the edge; the only way that you can seem to do it is by looking back at the block your building on and teetering off the edge. It's kind of annoying because the house I'm building is on the top of the world and I've been falling off the edge whence expanding new floors.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SumPog said:
Does anyone know if there is a efficient way to build floors/ledges/verandahs/balconies? I'm talking about being on top of a mountain and trying to build something over the edge; the only way that you can seem to do it is by looking back at the block your building on and teetering off the edge. It's kind of annoying because the house I'm building is on the top of the world and I've been falling off the edge whence expanding new floors.

temp scafolding below. gravel or dirt.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
SumPog said:
hold shift and do what you've been doing.

Jasoco

Banned
Pandaman said:
hold shift and do what you've been doing.
Set it to Caps Lock and turn it into a toggle instead of a hold.

Watch out though as it disables itself if you open a menu or inventory and if you're above air, you will fall. So, you'll have to turn Caps off and back on again to reactivate.

But other than that, I can't live without Caps Lock Sneaking. :D

Makes the Caps Lock key actually useful for something other than making yourself look like a n00b on the internet.

(I think on Windows you need to do something else though to get it to work. I forget. Look it up in the MineCraft Wiki.)

Vinci

Danish
SumPog said:

Don't listen to the pussies above about sneaking or building scaffolding. Just keep practicing. After a while, you get really good at it and you hardly ever fall. It's part of the process.

ZZMitch

Sorry I keep posting Notch's blog posts, I just like following Minecraft's development almost as much as I like the game itself :D

Strategy meeting day results
Yesterday was Strategy Meeting Day(tm) at Mojang. During the morning, we broke up into two groups and tried to come up with a suggestion on how to spend the next six months or so in different areas. I was part of the Minecraft and [Secret New Game] group. A big part of the discussion was to try to define what the full version of Minecraft actually is, and I think we ended up with something decent. During the afternoon, we had a group discussion about both timelines presented, and added some points and moved some other points around.

While we were doing this, there was a film crew on place (since Monday, actually), documenting and interviewing. I’m not sure if they want it to be secret or not, so I won’t say who they were yet. It was great having them here, though. :)

For Minecraft, we set up a rough schedule covering the major points that need to be added. For new content, we decided not to list it in detail, as that should be added in a more agile way where you kinda go from day to day deciding what would make the most sense, or just if someone gets a great idea that they want to try right away. The first two big points were, in order of priority, “New save file format”, and “Add mod support”.

On Monday, we’ll try to guess how long each point will take, then come up with a release date for Minecraft. Since we’re releasing often and early, the actual release itself won’t contain any huge changes to the game compared to what it was like a week ago, but it represents a point of time where we go from “trying to finish a game” to “maintaining and expanding upon a game”. It’s going to feel great to have something that I can point at and say “we made this. This is it”.

Oh, and I’ve finally committed the Music Blocks to the repository.

(Oh, wait, no, I didn’t.. Doing so broke git, so we’re changing to svn because git is horrible and evil)

Jasoco

Banned
Vinci said:
Don't listen to the pussies above about sneaking or building scaffolding. Just keep practicing. After a while, you get really good at it and you hardly ever fall. It's part of the process.
That's what Sneaking was implemented for. In real life, you would kneel down over the edge and place a block at the side. This is what Sneaking is. In real life, you don't just walk off ledges accidentally when you see them right in front of you. You are careful. Sneaking is this. It's there for a reason.

Also, remember what I said about applying it to Caps Lock. Genius.

Oh, and according to Twitter, another update is coming possibly next week. Maybe with the musical instrument update. Oh, and a new save file format. (Possibly single file, which I'm not so sure about. This is going to break a LOT of utilities that view maps.)

Wool

greenjerk said:
is there a list of gaf vs minecraft user names anywhere?

We should make a registry/guestbook in the community tower. It could be next to that bulletin board or something.

Sanic

I've been out of the loop for a couple months, but since i've purchased a new PC i'm getting back into Minecraft? What's changed since early November or so? Just what's listed here?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I stumbled across this comic today and it immediately made me think of Minecraft, and the weird compulsions many of us have when we play: :lol :lol

labyrinth.jpg

r1chard

GDJustin said:
I stumbled across this comic today and it immediately made me think of Minecraft, and the weird compulsions many of us have when we play: :lol :lol

labyrinth.jpg
Ah, oglaf :)

(BTW they are not kidding about the 18-and-over warning :)

kai3345 said:
so recently ive been getting these weird white boxes around torches, anyone know why that is?

No idea why it happens, but I get the same thing from time to time - as far as I can tell, the only way to fix it is to wipe Minecraft's application data and then re-run the program, just deleting the .version or minecraft.jar file to force an update doesn't seem to solve the problem.

webrunner

One of the devs:

carlmanneh Carl Manneh
Huge melting ice blocks from a building just landed a couple of meters away from me. Would have been a quick death. Still a bit shaky.

Terrible, yes.. i'm glad he's alright... but does anyone else find it somewhat.. I don't know the word, not quite ironic, that one of the minecraft devs was nearly killed by a falling block?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
My giant sphere is half way done (I've reached the hemisphere stage!).. head west from community tower and you'll see it.

You can also see it from the giant tree (looks bigger from up there).

If anyone has any extra dirt or glass they want to donate, inside the sphere is a large chest, please place any extras you've got in there.

Vlad

DrEvil said:
My giant sphere is half way done (I've reached the hemisphere stage!).. head west from community tower and you'll see it.

You can also see it from the giant tree (looks bigger from up there).

If anyone has any extra dirt or glass they want to donate, inside the sphere is a large chest, please place any extras you've got in there.

FYI, your sphere is north from the community tower. Well, I'm assuming it's your sphere, if you go by VectorBoy on the server.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Vlad said:
FYI, your sphere is north from the community tower. Well, I'm assuming it's your sphere, if you go by VectorBoy on the server.

I do.

it's north? then my compass is wrong :p

When I face the walkabahn, community tower is due east from my sphere.. meaning it's west from the tower, no?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DrEvil said:
I do.

When I face the walkabahn, community tower is due east from my sphere.. meaning it's west from the tower, no?
well, if you are standing by the tower and facing it, does the sun set behind the sphere?

todahawk

rdelaney said:
We should make a registry/guestbook in the community tower. It could be next to that bulletin board or something.

sweet idea, thx.

umm, where the hell is the community tower??? (duh, can't read, disregard)

edit:

btw, saw this on the minecraft sub-reddit:
he has server admin, that's how he was able to spawn snow covered blocks inside-
Exterior with stairway: http://i.imgur.com/2CWpD.jpg
Entrance: http://i.imgur.com/q4vZe.jpg
Cave system: http://i.imgur.com/Drh3y.jpg
(there is a 'secret' message from the creator inside)
Stonework: http://i.imgur.com/NipZv.jpg
Animals spawn inside, which is nice: http://i.imgur.com/iXbTn.jpg
And now a soccer field is being built outside :) http://i.imgur.com/wDtLG.jpg

6rLJN.jpg

Vlad

DrEvil said:
I do.

Uh, your compass only points to the spawn point, not north. The clouds in the game always move north, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. This puts your sphere along the north-facing path from the tower.

ZZMitch

I was just on the GAF server for the first time in a while (usually play single player) and I have been having some crazy issues like chests opening minutes after I open them, dying randomly (I took a long fall and the death happened a few minutes later... related?), lots of chunk errors galore etc.

I thought it might have been the server but others on said they were fine, anyone know what could be up? I have a pretty fast connection...

thespot84

ZZMitch said:
I was just on the GAF server for the first time in a while (usually play single player) and I have been having some crazy issues like chests opening minutes after I open them, dying randomly (I took a long fall and the death happened a few minutes later... related?), lots of chunk errors galore etc.

I thought it might have been the server but others on said they were fine, anyone know what could be up? I have a pretty fast connection...

is your java updated?

Vlad

ZZMitch said:

See, all those things (except for the chunk errors) happen to me when the connection to the server isn't great.

Jasoco

Banned
Garcia said:
You win 1 internets. I didn't know that and I will never forget it now :lol .
Clouds move north. Sun, Moon and Stars always move East to West. This information is very useful. Look straight up in the sky, turn until the clouds are moving down the screen. This is north. Helps so much when I'm trying to wander in a certain direction and get sidetracked by a cool cave.

thespot84

ZZMitch said:
Well actually I just got a java update a few minutes ago! will give Minecraft a try now :D

for chunk errors be aware that currently the minecraft server is currently crashed but running (a strange paradox, i know). Basically what happens is something is flagged and I get an error message "Minecraft.exe has experienced an error and needs to shut down" (or something) but the javaw.exe and mcadmin wrapper still run, I just can't interact with them. I prefer to wait until there's less traffic on the server to restart, which will probably happen late tonight early tomorrow, but the java update might help your other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom