• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumPog

Neo Member
SatelliteOfLove said:
Just add water. :D

Created a new world, 30 blocks or so from my spawn point is the ocean and then on the ocean's edge is a waterful of lava descending from the cliffedge and into the water. It looked fantastic.

Jasoco

Banned
Hmm, Nightly test builds, eh? That sounds awesome. I just hope it keeps itself away from your normal save so you can test it without screwing anything up. Not that I don't keep backups anyway.

Can't wait until Thursday.

Vlad

Atomski said:
Yeah nightly builds sounds scary to me. I'd hate to corrupt my world or something. Will have to see how he handles it.

Well, he did say that they will be installed parallel to the existing install, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Jasoco

Banned
They'll probably use a separate folder for everything including saves. But you'll most likely be able to copy your normal world to the nightly save folder. You'll be able to fuck around and test things out, but not worry about actually screwing anything up in your normal world.

Atomski

Vlad said:
Well, he did say that they will be installed parallel to the existing install, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Ahh I missed that. Will be cool for submitting bug reports and hopefully getting bigger patches out quicker.

Atomski

Ive noticed their reaction to minecraft as well but meh I don't think its a big deal. They clearly arent very big pc gamers in the first place. At the same time though I kind of feel like Ryans reaction to the game isnt that far off. The game does seem to kinda hurtle around the game/toy line. Even with survival mode Minecraft is what YOU make of it.

Also Minecraft just dosnt make good radio. I hear a lot of podcasts bring up the game and it dosnt ever really last long because audio dosnt really do it justice. Where as for a normal game they can discuss Characters, story and tons of other stuff. If someone did a audio podcasts of just explaining what happened to them in minecraft today it would be completely terrible and boring. :lol

Heck even the pc gamer podcast dosnt discuss it much. They may mention it in the news or that they played it but they will always quickly move on to something more podcast worthy of discussion.

Twig

Banned
animlboogy said:
Anybody notice the kind of Mentions this game gets on the Bombcast? I love the cast, and regularly cope with the ignorance they spout over indie games, PC games, etc., but holy fuck have they annoyed me every time Minecraft comes up. Especially Ryan Davis saying "we're here to talk about GAMES" in a smarmy tone every time it comes up.

Did these people all not touch survival mode? It's more of a game than half the trash on shelves these days, it just doesn't have missions given out by blabbering NPCs.

Am I missing something? Is it them, or am I just filling in the drama of the gameplay in my own head? I just feel like I'm playing a totally different game when I hear comments like theirs, and other things people I know have said.
I am unsurprised by this revelation.

GiantBomb is a vile den of ignorance and also more ignorance.

SumPog

Neo Member
animlboogy said:
Anybody notice the kind of Mentions this game gets on the Bombcast? I love the cast, and regularly cope with the ignorance they spout over indie games, PC games, etc., but holy fuck have they annoyed me every time Minecraft comes up. Especially Ryan Davis saying "we're here to talk about GAMES" in a smarmy tone every time it comes up.

Did these people all not touch survival mode? It's more of a game than half the trash on shelves these days, it just doesn't have missions given out by blabbering NPCs.

Am I missing something? Is it them, or am I just filling in the drama of the gameplay in my own head? I just feel like I'm playing a totally different game when I hear comments like theirs, and other things people I know have said.

Indie games are fantastic wtf?!

pirata

animlboogy said:

That's because Giant Bomb generally has no taste in video games whatsoever...or anything else, as a matter of fact. It's an entertainment site, not an informative site. It's amusing to listen to them talk about stupid shit and watch their weird videos, but don't take anything they say about video games seriously.

filipe said:
So what's the server address now?

Search for the post Spot made a few a days ago.

Drewsky

Awakened said:
I've been watching the Yogscast guy's MC videos since I saw one linked in the goon thread. Best MC youtube series since X's Adventures.
I saw these in the goon thread too. They're really funny.

Funny you should mention Yogscast and X's Adventures, they're the only ones that I've watched, and basically what got me into Minecraft.

Wool

Atomski said:
Ive noticed their reaction to minecraft as well but meh I don't think its a big deal. They clearly arent very big pc gamers in the first place. At the same time though I kind of feel like Ryans reaction to the game isnt that far off. The game does seem to kinda hurtle around the game/toy line. Even with survival mode Minecraft is what YOU make of it.

Also Minecraft just dosnt make good radio. I hear a lot of podcasts bring up the game and it dosnt ever really last long because audio dosnt really do it justice. Where as for a normal game they can discuss Characters, story and tons of other stuff. If someone did a audio podcasts of just explaining what happened to them in minecraft today it would be completely terrible and boring. :lol

Heck even the pc gamer podcast dosnt discuss it much. They may mention it in the news or that they played it but they will always quickly move on to something more podcast worthy of discussion.

I wouldn't say that Minecraft hurtles around the game/toy line any more than other simulations games. Look at The Sims, or Harvest Moon. All three games are what you make them, with no enemies, barely any goals, and no easily identifiable conflict at all besides staying alive. I'm sure Minecraft gets less credit then those games because it is not as realistic looking, but as far as the game play goes Minecraft isn't any less structured than a lot of other games.

Nickiepoo

My guess is that the people saying that minecraft 'isn't a game' never played with Lego as a kid.

I recently started playing and, once my natural trolling instincts died down, found the the joy of building a mountaintop castle with a pair of friends was almost identical to the joy I used to feel slapping those little plastic blocks together and making something, no matter how useless or 'lacking in objectives or narrative' it was.

Seems to me that those people are simply unhappy because the game isn't thinking for them.

fresquito

Nickiepoo said:
My guess is that the people saying that minecraft 'isn't a game' never played with Lego as a kid.

I recently started playing and, once my natural trolling instincts died down, found the the joy of building a mountaintop castle with a pair of friends was almost identical to the joy I used to feel slapping those little plastic blocks together and making something, no matter how useless or 'lacking in objectives or narrative' it was.

Seems to me that those people are simply unhappy because the game isn't thinking for them.
Probably they think "playitselfCoD" is more of a game than Minecraft is.

ckohler

The LEGO analogy is very apt. Some people play Minecraft for the survival while others (like me) play purely for the creation. There's just a satisfaction of building new things. Here's my latest:

2prvg4k.png

Atomski

Nickiepoo said:

Wouldn't this be more an argument toward it being a toy than a game due to the similarities of Lego.

:p

Nickiepoo

Atomski said:
Wouldn't this be more an argument toward it being a toy than a game due to the similarities of Lego.

:p

Maybe, but I'm only interested in that discussion as far as 'it's not a game' is being used to insult it (as in the giant bomb case) and describing why those who would use 'it's not even a game' as an insult have invalidated their own opinion in my eyes.
I'm not saying everybody has to like this game or be able to get something out of it, just that shouting 'we're here to talk about GAMES' when someone brings it up makes you an idiot.
Anything else is just semantics.

Garcia

I'm just mindblown by Minecraft's modding community.... I have installed 12 mods so far, I have now weapons, a grappling hook, parachute, diving suit, new tools, new recipes, stacking items, MORE mobs, biome modifications, more logical ways of finding ores.... I mean. . . Minecraft Vanilla is definitely not the way to go if you want to experience the incredible potential this game has. It's only after thoughtfully modding withoout breaking the game when you realize this is the game of the forever.

Seriously, kudos to all the modders, and if any GAFfer happens to be one as well, much love for you, you're doing a fantastic job by bringing the fun into a game that apparently wont leave it's Beta phase anytime soon, and even if it did I think I won't ever give up on modding since the genius behind some of those add-ons just outweights and surpasses what Notch had in mind for the original game.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Garcia said:
I'm just mindblown by Minecraft's modding community.... I have installed 12 mods so far, I have now weapons, a grappling hook, parachute, diving suit, new tools, new recipes, stacking items, MORE mobs, biome modifications, more logical ways of finding ores.... I mean. . . Minecraft Vanilla is definitely not the way to go if you want to experience the incredible potential this game has. It's only after thoughtfully modding withoout breaking the game when you realize this is the game of the forever.
That's news to me and sounds completely awesome! Can you post a list of the mods that you have installed with links to the downloads?

Blizzard

Banned
Garcia said:

Seriously, kudos to all the modders, and if any GAFfer happens to be one as well, much love for you, you're doing a fantastic job by bringing the fun into a game that apparently wont leave it's Beta phase anytime soon, and even if it did I think I won't ever give up on modding since the genius behind some of those add-ons just outweights and surpasses what Notch had in mind for the original game.
If I recall correctly, one of the next priorities for Notch and his team is better mod support. If he does it well, it could be a really nice feature, kind of like how he added support for easily changing between graphics tilesets (or whatever the term is for them).

Atomski

I like having mods but ugh when Notch goes on a update sprees it gets really annoying updating the files everytime. I just stick with the better light and better grass mods.

Maybe, but I'm only interested in that discussion as far as 'it's not a game' is being used to insult it (as in the giant bomb case) and describing why those who would use 'it's not even a game' as an insult have invalidated their own opinion in my eyes.
I'm not saying everybody has to like this game or be able to get something out of it, just that shouting 'we're here to talk about GAMES' when someone brings it up makes you an idiot.
Anything else is just semantics.

I don't think he means to insult it. He just didn't understand it and thought it was a fab. Before I bought the game I saw all these videos of stuff people built and it seemed like a pointless time sink. Specially seeing that dude with the star trek ship.. that almost stopped me from buying it altogether. I actually did not decide to buy it till they had that free weekend and I got to try survival mode.

But if I just based my opinion on the popular vids that went around a few months back I would have probably skipped it on the podcast as well.

They also mentioned the game on the goty podcasts but they were confused if it counted due to the game being in alpha and not in a review state. Other than that I did not hear them say anything negative about it.

Garcia

DRock said:
That's news to me and sounds completely awesome! Can you post a list of the mods that you have installed with links to the downloads?

Of course :)

***For the complete list of download links just skip to the end of this post***

Before attempting any mod I highly suggest you backup both the Saves and the Bin folders inside Minecraft. In order to instantly reach the folder where it's located just use the Run command in Windows and type %AppData% (with the percentage signs). That should take you immediately to your Application Data folder. Inside it you will find .minecraft .

Get in there and you'll see the executable and both folders I told you about. You will also see another one called "Resources". Several mods require you to inject new files and/or folders inside it in order to trigger their corresponding sounds.

Now that you have copied both Saves and Bin into a safe location we're ready to go !

Modding Minecraft requires you to edit a file located inside the Bin folder called minecraft.jar . Every single mod requires you to inject new files which most of the time overwrite the original data contained within it. That's why keeping a backup is primordial !. Every mod that I've tried has worked so far, however there are certain mods that are not compatible with each other and may cause some in-game issues or glitches.

Ok, so here's the deal. In order to edit minecraft.jar you have to open it either with WinRAR or 7zip. I personally like 7zip the most but both work (I've tried them both and it's the same result).

Now that you know what you have to do, lemme introduce you to some of the most awesome mods I've found.... They will bring new life into your Survival Single Player experience by the gazillions !

- - - - -

Mo's Creatures

This Mod introduces :

Horses (7 species =) )
Ogres
Fire Ogres
Cave Ogres
Boars
Bears
Ducks
Lions
Wolves
Polar Bears
Wraiths
Flame Wraiths
Bunnies
Birds (6 different species ! Each with their own chirp and color =D )
Foxes
Werewolves

I recommend you check out that thread since it's got installation tutorials and several videos of its creatures :D !

I'll leave the Tutorial video in here.

Mo's creatures needs 2 extra mods in order to work, both of which are also required by several others. That makes these 2 are a MUST HAVE:

ModLoader
and AudioMod

-------

Here's another Mod which will make you drool:

SDK's Guns

Mod Contents
Guns

* Guns and ammo: AK47, MP5, sniper rifle, shotgun, flamethrower, desert eagle, rocket launcher, laser-guided rocket launcher
* Grenades: explosive, flashbang, smoke
* Flammable oil
* Lighter block (Lights on fire when powered)
* Nuke (5x the power of TNT)
* Automated sentries for all guns except flamethrower

Grappling Hook

* Grappling hook ;)

Utility

* Nightvision goggles
* Scuba tank
* Parachute
* Lightometer
* Gold coins (possible server currency)

You've no idea how rewarding it is to empty a full round of AK47 ammo at some Creepers !! :lol .

-----

Here's the mod that I love the most.... It lets you alter the geography and disposition of ores in any way you want:

BiomeTerrain Mod

Synopsis
This mod allows alteration to Minecraft’s biome and terrain generation controls/algorithms. This includes, but is not limited to, altering physical terrain generation, biome size/types, ore deposits, surface material generation, block replacement/manipulation, removal/insertion of block (types) and characteristics, custom trees, bug fixes to original Minecraft terrain code, and the introduction of new biome/terrain features.

--------

303's Arrows

(Also check this guy's mods, he's got also a grappling hook )

New arrow types:

-Fire Arrows
-Ice Arrows
-Explosive Arrows
-Egg Arrows
-Torch Arrows (extremely useful !! Spelunking taken to a whole new level)
-Dirt Arrows
-Slime Arrows
-Mob Arrows
-Warp Arrows
-Tree Arrows
-Grass Arrows
-Confusion Arrows

-------
Better Stairs

Adds Glass, Iron, Gold, Diamond, Brick, Obsidian, and Netherrock stairs to the game.

------

Mores Stackables

(This is one of the most useful mods when you want to go adventuring for long periods of time ! )

This mod makes buckets and food stackable up to 16 in stack, saddles, doors, and signs up to 8 in a stack, minecarts and boats up to 4 in a stack. When stacked, food and buckets are unusable, however, everything else is. This is great for storage and for using workbenches, chests, or furnaces, as you no longer will dump the bucket or consume your food! Requires ModLoader Beta 1.1_02.

------

Pluckin' Crazy

Note: This mod requires another one: Lahwran's Settings ASPi

This mod allows you to utilize a right-click function on Chicken mobs, causing them to drop feathers each time. When all the feathers are plucked, the Chicken dies. Upon death, the Chicken drops feathers or eggs. The addition of egg drops is also useful for mods that use them in recipes!

------

Tool Repair

This mod allows the player to repair tools and armor. Fishing Rods can be repaired by placing one in the crafting grid with either a stick or string immediately above it. Swords, Pickaxes, Shovels, Axes, Hoes can each be repaired by placing a block/ingot of the same material used to create the tool in the block above it. Shovels and Hoes can alternately be repaired by placing two sticks, one above the other, to either side of the tool. Armor must be repaired using a toolbox as to repair it you must fill two squares above it with the appropriate material for Helmets and Boots.......

------

The next is a mod I rarely use since it's basically a cheating tool. It can easily break the game since it inflicts one hit kills on Mobs and it destroys every block instantly. I just give it a try when I want to speed tunnel and I keep it away during spelunking trips.

Ultimate Fist

The guy also has several other tools added into the game, be sure to check them out !

------

And the last one is yet another mod I rarely use except for extreme cases, its name shall give you a hint :

Teleport Signs

This mod makes it so you have the ability to right-click on a sign and it will instantly teleport you to a location you specify. There is also another function that will make it so signs will tell you what their position is.

Firstly, the [x, y, z] coordinates must be on the 4th line of your sign and they must have brackets surrounding the coordinates and there must be commas separating each. The values can have decimals, so long as they stay on 1 line. After creating the sign, simply right-click on the sign and you are teleported to your destination.

----

And those are the 12 mods I'm currently using. I'm going to try several others later. People come up with the most creative mods and it's up to you to balance the game it's always challenging. As for me? I'm currently playing on Hard difficulty. Even wearing your night-vision googles, carrying lots of weapons and food, I can pretty much assure that every single time you venture outside your base in the middle of the night you WON'T last long unless you've developed a strategy.

Here's the complete set of download links:

Mod Loader
AudioMod
Teleport Signs

Ultimate Fist

Tool Repair
Pluckin' Crazy
Sttings Screen API
More Stackables
Better Stairs
Mo' Creatures
303Arrows
Teleport Signs

Articalys

ZZMitch said:
Minecraft passed one million sales :D
Outstanding.
Note that this equals to over $12.9 million in revenue, and that's not even factoring in the increase in cost for all the recent copies sold as beta.

Sanic

I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm trying to set up a private server for my friend and I to play on, but he's unable to connect to me. I've downloaded the server, changed the ip to my internal ip in server.properties, and I believe have forwarded port 25565 correctly. When I give him my external ip to connect, he times out.

I guess the problem is perhaps that the port hasn't been forwarded correctly. I went into my router settings and know that I've configured everything properly, but according to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ the port isn't open.

So does anyone know what's going on, or have any tips on getting the base server up and running on windows?

r1chard

I wonder what the legal ramifications are of the really strong modding community around Minecraft.

I see above that someone's added a bunch of new creatures. If Notch decides down the track to add such creatures to the Minecraft core, could be be sued for stealing the idea?

Atomski

Hmm I remember Notch saying he was going to make a mod a permanent part of the game a long while back. I never heard about it again though.

Also what about WOW, Blizz copies ui mods all the time and makes them part of the default ui.

r1chard

Atomski said:
Hmm I remember Notch saying he was going to make a mod a permanent part of the game a long while back. I never heard about it again though.

Also what about WOW, Blizz copies ui mods all the time and makes them part of the default ui.
Fair enough. I just seem to recall some dev some time ago saying that people should never send them ideas directly because if those ideas (or things like them) ever end up in the game the original author can sue.

Actually, there's a chance I might be thinking of TV series (or maybe even film). The same ideas might apply though...

Not that I could see anyone modding Minecraft getting up and suing Notch for copying their idea into the core...

thespot84

Pandoracell said:
I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm trying to set up a private server for my friend and I to play on, but he's unable to connect to me. I've downloaded the server, changed the ip to my internal ip in server.properties, and I believe have forwarded port 25565 correctly. When I give him my external ip to connect, he times out.

I guess the problem is perhaps that the port hasn't been forwarded correctly. I went into my router settings and know that I've configured everything properly, but according to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ the port isn't open.

So does anyone know what's going on, or have any tips on getting the base server up and running on windows?

Is there a firewall on the server? Make sure 25565 and 25566 are open on the server as well, only 25565 needs to be forwarded on the router.

Edit: Also, are you using a wrapper? I recommend something like McAdmin, in terms of convenience the gui makes it super easy, it's what the gaf server runs on. if opening the firewall doesn't change anything, try flipping the server IP back and forth from the LAN IP to 127.0.0.1

Sanic

thespot84 said:
Is there a firewall on the server? Make sure 25565 and 25566 are open on the server as well, only 25565 needs to be forwarded on the router.

the "server" would just be the same computer i'm playing the game on, but yes I do normally have a firewall running, but others are unable to join even if I turn the firewall off. I'm not sure what you mean by making sure those other two ports are open on the server. do you mean the server software? Where do I have the option of opening ports on that?

edit: i'll try MCAdmin

edit2: that didn't help. Still have the same issue.

Wool

Well, I've been lost on the GAF server for about 2 hours now, and I have lost all hope. My base is really far North, and I decided to go check out everyone else's stuff. I headed South and saw the big cube and Inkwell's Dojo, among other things. Then I headed back North to continue building, but I could not find my base. If anyone with a map program that shows the GAF server sees a very tall tower on a frozen lake pretty far up North, please give me the coordinates :D

rdelaney said:
Well, I've been lost on the GAF server for about 2 hours now, and I have lost all hope. My base is really far North, and I decided to go check out everyone else's stuff. I headed South and saw the big cube and Inkwell's Dojo, among other things. Then I headed back North to continue building, but I could not find my base. If anyone with a map program that shows the GAF server sees a very tall tower on a frozen lake pretty far up North, please give me the coordinates :D

Here is the map:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1164142/gmap3/index.html

Hope it helps.

Inkwell

Banned
Griefers suck. This is the kind of thing that can happen:

j9lxtz.gif

What you don't see is Artistdude's tree farm on fire, and the lava pouring from his lava fountain. He also lost stuff when he died trying to fix it when he hit a lag spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom