• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Jasoco said:
Clouds move north. Sun, Moon and Stars always move East to West. This information is very useful. Look straight up in the sky, turn until the clouds are moving down the screen. This is north. Helps so much when I'm trying to wander in a certain direction and get sidetracked by a cool cave.

Thank you Jas, had I known this earlier today I would've not been wandering for 2 straight days (in game) before reaching my base once again...

Also, this game is really scaring me. . . I just spent 6 hours spelunking a complicated cave system and I never noticed how much time it took me to do that before I double checked the hour. With the Iron I found I finally built an underground cart line (with boosters) that goes straight from my spawn location to my base, which means I'm not as afraid of creepers as much as I was before :D .

And damn it... My heart has skipped a beat plenty of times while mining ores. Out of fucking nowhere I hear the Tsssssssssssss.... BANG !!!! death by random creeper, sudden skeletons throwing arrows right in my face make me go all jumpy as well. I'm really liking zombies though... At least they make noises before you have them in front of you ! :lol .

Wool

I just went to the nether for the first time, after painstakingly creating and mining obsidian. That place is a real hell hole. Is there anything practical to get out of going there or is it just to get yourself killed?

ZZMitch

rdelaney said:
I just went to the nether for the first time, after painstakingly creating and mining obsidian. That place is a real hell hole. Is there anything practical to get out of going there or is it just to get yourself killed?

At the moment, it is only a useful as a fast travel system really (if you can make a tunnel put of cobblestone it is safe from ghasts and the like).

I am guessing he has future plans for it though, blocks like lightstone may get some crafting uses later on and what have you.

ckohler

ZZMitch said:
At the moment, it is only a useful as a fast travel system really (if you can make a tunnel put of cobblestone it is safe from ghasts and the like).

I am guessing he has future plans for it though, blocks like lightstone may get some crafting uses later on and what have you.
Netherrack is quite handy. You can light it on fire with the flint and steel and it will stay lit forever. The flame it produces is the most VISUALLY bright thing in the game, more than lightstone or lava, making it perfect for beacons.

(I know it's light level is the same as lightstone, torches, lava, etc. but its texture is the most visually bright.)

Garcia

SumPog said:
After seeing Seananner's video on the nether, I decided to never bother going there

I haven't seen any videos of the nether. Just a single screeshot of some ghasts flying around...

I will definitely visit it soon since I got lucky on my last spelunking trip and found a source of water 6 blocks above a lava lake. Now I've got somewhere between 40 to 60 blocks of obsidian, so it's just a matter of time and will for me. I hope it doesn't dissapoint :D .

Bradlums

SumPog said:
After seeing Seananner's video on the nether, I decided to never bother going there
Well you could always build a fortress in a sea of lava but yea other than that and lightstone it's completely worthless :D

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is the new GAF server's info available somewhere in this thread? I've searched and found nothing.

It's been a few months since the last time I've played. I'm starting to miss it.

kennah

Brazil said:
Is the new GAF server's info available somewhere in this thread? I've searched and found nothing.

It's been a few months since the last time I've played. I'm starting to miss it.
1. Find the post on this page by thespot84 that says 'quote to view server address'

2. Quote it.

3. Adventure.

todahawk

thespot84 said:
for chunk errors be aware that currently the minecraft server is currently crashed but running (a strange paradox, i know). Basically what happens is something is flagged and I get an error message "Minecraft.exe has experienced an error and needs to shut down" (or something) but the javaw.exe and mcadmin wrapper still run, I just can't interact with them. I prefer to wait until there's less traffic on the server to restart, which will probably happen late tonight early tomorrow, but the java update might help your other issues.

gotcha. thx, had some chunk errors earlier today. wolf advised to disconnect and reconnect, that seemed to help. Freaked for a second as it seemed I was falling but all was fine.

BTW, spot do you have any mapping software? I'd love to see a map of the GAF server... I've been using this one, works on mac, pc & linux: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1022&t=119635

it renders an html file with google maps for the interface. pretty sweet.
sample3.png

Vlad

greenjerk said:
gotcha. thx, had some chunk errors earlier today. wolf advised to disconnect and reconnect, that seemed to help. Freaked for a second as it seemed I was falling but all was fine.

BTW, spot do you have any mapping software? I'd love to see a map of the GAF server... I've been using this one, works on mac, pc & linux: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1022&t=119635

it renders an html file with google maps for the interface. pretty sweet.
sample3.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1164142/gmap3/index.html

It supposedly auto-updates every day. It looks pretty current, though.

One problem I'm seeing is that a lot of the trees are being rendered with gray leaves, so hopefully whatever mapper he's using will release an update eventually.

Awakened

Vlad said:
One problem I'm seeing is that a lot of the trees are being rendered with gray leaves, so hopefully whatever mapper he's using will release an update eventually
When I first looked at that map I figured someone had replaced all the leaves with glass for some kind of metallic city look :p. I believe it's a biome leave/grass problem though.

Jasoco

Banned
So, the current minecart booster methods won't work in the final game since they're based on a bug. Ideas for how he should handle making minecarts actually go and keep going for when the bug is fixed?

I'm picturing a special booster track that will boost the cart when powered, and stop it when off. It could boost you in whatever direction you were traveling when you hit it. And he could implement a max cart speed to keep the game from freaking out if you go too fast, but still make it to the boosters will increase your speed and putting multiple ones close together would boost you up to top speed fast and one unpowered one could stop you. Either immediately, or it could just slow you down. (Both would be neat. One could be a brake track, the others a decelerate track)

Who knows when he'll fix the bug, and I assume he hasn't yet because it would destroy all current stations and hacks. But if he implemented this system above which would require one or two new track pieces, he could make a replacement that would only require one redstone torch and one speed track instead of a minecart and a half dozen extra pieces of track.

Insaniac

Jasoco said:
So, the current minecart booster methods won't work in the final game since they're based on a bug. Ideas for how he should handle making minecarts actually go and keep going for when the bug is fixed?

I'm picturing a special booster track that will boost the cart when powered, and stop it when off. It could boost you in whatever direction you were traveling when you hit it. And he could implement a max cart speed to keep the game from freaking out if you go too fast, but still make it to the boosters will increase your speed and putting multiple ones close together would boost you up to top speed fast and one unpowered one could stop you. Either immediately, or it could just slow you down. (Both would be neat. One could be a brake track, the others a decelerate track)

Who knows when he'll fix the bug, and I assume he hasn't yet because it would destroy all current stations and hacks. But if he implemented this system above which would require one or two new track pieces, he could make a replacement that would only require one redstone torch and one speed track instead of a minecart and a half dozen extra pieces of track.

theres a thread in the official minecraft forums proposing redstone infused tracks for boosters / stopper tracks. I hope he adds this soon because I hate relying on glitchy boosters which work 80% of the time in multiplayer

thespot84

I'm having people over tomorrow so I can't mess with it then, but it looks like the mapping script has been updated recently, so hopefully I can get to it soon and fix the biome issues.

Inkwell

Banned
LonelyIsland said:
man, the modding community is pretty awesome, check out this mod:

MineColony Lumberjack Demo

so many possibilities...

you could have miners, guards, etc.

prolly you can have a whole village of people! lol
That's some good stuff. Just recently I was thinking how fun would it be if notch implemented a career mode with goals similar to something like Civilization. You would have to find supplies to build up your city. Need more guards for your city? Purchase more with gold, iron, and/or diamond. You could buy things similar to the video, or maybe even farms.

Jasoco

Banned
Insaniac said:
theres a thread in the official minecraft forums proposing redstone infused tracks for boosters / stopper tracks. I hope he adds this soon because I hate relying on glitchy boosters which work 80% of the time in multiplayer
Me too. I think my idea would work great. A track type that either boosts or stops (Or slows) the cart depending on if it's powered. You could have a stopper at each station with a pressure plate right before it attached to a delaying circuit that would delay the power for a second or two, so the cart would zoom down to the station, hit the button and stop on the brake track. A second later the brake would be powered and turned into a booster which would push the cart in the direction it was originally moving thus creating an automated start and stop track route. Since it would boost in the original moving direction, it could work for two-way tracks as well as one-way. So you could either have a loop or a single track route that just goes back and forth. Simply place boosters with a single redstone torch every few dozen tracks along the route and you have a muuuuuch simpler subway/train route. It would be as simple as just waiting for the next car to come along. And would be a lot less costly.

I am going to try and email Notch with my idea, even though others have had the same basic idea, the more people recommend it, the more likely it'll be he'll think it's a good idea.

ckohler said:
You guys might appreciate this. It's my own invention. :)

Mob Battle Arena.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZBnEX6LjtM
That is awesome. I have to make one myself and put it in my world. That's so cool.

LonelyIsland said:
man, the modding community is pretty awesome, check out this mod:

MineColony Lumberjack Demo

so many possibilities...

you could have miners, guards, etc.

prolly you can have a whole village of people! lol
I hope he does add human mobs eventually. I'd love to not be the only person in the whole world. They should be randomly placed and each have different jobs. And he could make it so you could befriend them (Or make them enemies) and give them jobs to do. I'd love if he made a "guard" type that could be ordered to stand in one place and activate a switch only when you walk near him. So you could make one that opens a door for you, but turns everyone else away.

rexor0717

I think you need to be able to recruit people. Lumberjacks, miners, and guards would be great. But you would have to travel and find towns. It would definitely be an incentive to travel.

Drewsky

Made a new world, and was looking for some cool caves. Found this huge one with a big ass pool of lava in the middle and tons of silver and gold and redstone. After collecting all of the minerals, I slipped into the lava pool and everything burned. I'm furious.

Jasoco

Banned
rexor0717 said:
I think you need to be able to recruit people. Lumberjacks, miners, and guards would be great. But you would have to travel and find towns. It would definitely be an incentive to travel.
Yes. My thoughts exactly. He already has plans for mob villages. They'd just be generated with the terrain, hopefully where it's flat enough to not be extremely confusing to the AI. He'll also need an actual pathfinding AI too as randomly walking and jumping around won't cut it for humans.

If I could interact with human mobs and give them jobs. Convince them to join me. That would be amazing. If they were smart enough. You could even set them up a home and let them build themselves a hut. Or even give them a house of their own that they would return to when the day ends.

webrunner

pirata said:
What does he mean by "user stories"?

it's a dev term, basically you create 'user stories' as being development goals (ie, the user enters in his username and password and is then presented with a home screen etc)

In wikipedia terms:
Wikipedia said:
A user story is one or more sentences in the everyday or business language of the user that captures what the user wants to achieve. User stories are used with Agile software development methodologies for the basis of what features that can be implemented. Each user story is limited, so it fits on a small paper note card—usually a 3×5 inches card—to ensure that it does not grow too large. The user stories should be written by the customers for a software project and are their main instrument to influence the development of the software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story

Awakened

I'm a bit bothered not seeing the social stuff like a friends list in his plan towards release. Beta doesn't even have a serverlist yet. I wonder if those could be filed under "fun things".

Bradlums

Jasoco said:
I am going to try and email Notch with my idea, even though others have had the same basic idea, the more people recommend it, the more likely it'll be he'll think it's a good idea.
I've also thought about emailing Notch with a few suggestions, the main one being the ability to select from a list of recipes at the workbench that the player has already discovered. The player could also select the number of items he wishes to be crafted. For example, if someone had a stack of 60 sticks and wanted to make as many pieces of latter as possible, he could select "latter" from a drop down list next to the 3x3 grid on the work bench. There would also be a box where the player could enter how many latter units that the player wishes to make, in this case the max would be 8 because that's the most one could make with 60 sticks. This way, players wouldn't have to go through the whole select the material, right click 18 times to evenly divide a stack of 64 amongst 8 different squares, then octuple click the product bullshit, that I'm assuming most of y'all are sick of.

I realize a lot of people enjoy the whole clicking, placing, clicking, placing aspect of crafting, but with this shortcut, players could save a lot of time. Plus, the original aspect of building won't be made obsolete as the player has to "unlock the recipe" by crafting it the original way. Only then, can the player use the shortcuts, and even then it's completely optional for the player to craft items this way.

Does anyone think this would be a good suggestion for notch, and if so, is there anything else that could be added or tweaked to make this idea better?

Sanic

ZZMitch said:
I was just on the GAF server for the first time in a while (usually play single player) and I have been having some crazy issues like chests opening minutes after I open them, dying randomly (I took a long fall and the death happened a few minutes later... related?), lots of chunk errors galore etc.

I thought it might have been the server but others on said they were fine, anyone know what could be up? I have a pretty fast connection...

I've been having these issues as well. They started a bit before the new server went up, and haven't subsided since. Java is updated. Kinda disappointing, as the problems are so bad that it's basically unplayable. Was the server ever moved to a different location?

Vlad

Bradlums said:
I've also thought about emailing Notch with a few suggestions, the main one being the ability to select from a list of recipes at the workbench that the player has already discovered. The player could also select the number of items he wishes to be crafted. For example, if someone had a stack of 60 sticks and wanted to make as many pieces of latter as possible, he could select "latter" from a drop down list next to the 3x3 grid on the work bench. There would also be a box where the player could enter how many latter units that the player wishes to make, in this case the max would be 8 because that's the most one could make with 60 sticks. This way, players wouldn't have to go through the whole select the material, right click 18 times to evenly divide a stack of 64 amongst 8 different squares, then octuple click the product bullshit, that I'm assuming most of y'all are sick of.

I realize a lot of people enjoy the whole clicking, placing, clicking, placing aspect of crafting, but with this shortcut, players could save a lot of time. Plus, the original aspect of building won't be made obsolete as the player has to "unlock the recipe" by crafting it the original way. Only then, can the player use the shortcuts, and even then it's completely optional for the player to craft items this way.

Does anyone think this would be a good suggestion for notch, and if so, is there anything else that could be added or tweaked to make this idea better?

Yeah, there really does need to be something done to streamline the inventory/crafting system just a tad...

- I don't have a problem with laying out individual crafting recipes, but I would much rather have a "craft all possible" button. So if I put down 64 logs, something like shift-clicking on the wood planks would automatically create 4 stacks of 64 planks in the inventory, or at least as many as can fit (leaving room for the remaining logs, of course).

- Shift-clicking (or ctrl-clicking, or whatever) to move items to/from the inventory from/to chests, furnaces, etc.

- An auto-sort button for chests and inventory. I don't care if it sorts items by their code number, alphabetically, or what, but I'd kill for a way to condense all the partial stacks in a given chest that seem to develop over time, instead of manually hunting them down and consolidating them.

I know I've probably mentioned all this in this very thread, and I know I've brought it up on the server from time to time, but these kinds of things are fast becoming what I most want added to the game. New content is nice, but it's just so tedious to manage your stash(es) when you've been on a server for a while.

kennah

Vlad said:
Yeah, there really does need to be something done to streamline the inventory/crafting system just a tad...

- I don't have a problem with laying out individual crafting recipes, but I would much rather have a "craft all possible" button. So if I put down 64 logs, something like shift-clicking on the wood planks would automatically create 4 stacks of 64 planks in the inventory, or at least as many as can fit (leaving room for the remaining logs, of course).

- Shift-clicking (or ctrl-clicking, or whatever) to move items to/from the inventory from/to chests, furnaces, etc.

- An auto-sort button for chests and inventory. I don't care if it sorts items by their code number, alphabetically, or what, but I'd kill for a way to condense all the partial stacks in a given chest that seem to develop over time, instead of manually hunting them down and consolidating them.

I know I've probably mentioned all this in this very thread, and I know I've brought it up on the server from time to time, but these kinds of things are fast becoming what I most want added to the game. New content is nice, but it's just so tedious to manage your stash(es) when you've been on a server for a while.

Heh, I actually spent a good 20 minutes organizing some of your chests the other day.

Vlad

kennah said:
Heh, I actually spent a good 20 minutes organizing some of your chests the other day.

Heh, I thought things looked a little different earlier.

Thing is, you really didn't need to bother, as whatever I don't use there is going straight to the community tower when I'm done anyway.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I need to deliver some stuff to the Comm Tower.

My tower is almost done (least the shell of it, need to decorate interior). I think I can probably build 3 or 4 more levels without breaking the surface.

Did a exploratory dig up and, as I feared, my entire project was under Matt's Two turret tower. Popped out in the basement of the Southern? tower (one closer to comm Tower).

In retrospect I wish I had built elsewhere, maybe take the tower to total heights. I just started a hole and by the time I realized I was under Matt's stuff had put WAY to much effort into it.

Hey Matt, If I deliver a few crates of forged stone, and offer help, can we move your tower? :D :D :D :D :D

Vlad

DrForester said:
I need to deliver some stuff to the Comm Tower.

My tower is almost done (least the shell of it, need to decorate interior). I think I can probably build 3 or 4 more levels without breaking the surface.

Did a exploratory dig up and, as I feared, my entire project was under Matt's Two turret tower. Popped out in the basement of the Southern? tower (one closer to comm Tower).

In retrospect I wish I had built elsewhere, maybe take the tower to total heights. I just started a hole and by the time I realized I was under Matt's stuff had put WAY to much effort into it.

Hey Matt, If I deliver a few crates of forged stone, and offer help, can we move your tower? :D :D :D :D :D

Hehehe... funny thing is, that's pretty much what I'm doing at the moment (tall tower in a pit), but I thankfully blocked off the area above it with "under construction" signs way before I even started anything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Vlad said:
Hehehe... funny thing is, that's pretty much what I'm doing at the moment (tall tower in a pit), but I thankfully blocked off the area above it with "under construction" signs way before I even started anything.

I dug a hole my first day in and wasn't even paying attention ><

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Vlad said:
Well, you could always leave what you've got underground and make Dwarf City II..

Well If I ever do it again I'll dig from the top. Be much easier to dig out a nice looking circle than it is from the bottom.

Been thinking of starting elsewhere. Keep inspecting the googlemap for a nice place. Would love to build in middle of ocean.

Vlad

DrForester said:
Well If I ever do it again I'll dig from the top. Be much easier to dig out a nice looking circle than it is from the bottom.

Been thinking of starting elsewhere. Keep inspecting the googlemap for a nice place. Would love to build in middle of ocean.

Heh, again, that's exactly what I did on the current map, and then there was the HUGE hole I did on the old map (again, in the middle of the ocean). One thing to keep in mind when doing holes in the ocean, though, is that you've got to get rid of the water somehow. On the old server, I just spawned a ton of leaves, filled my perimeter with them, then burned them all away. However, with the no-spawning in effect, I was down to just plonking down tons of gravel/sand/dirt and digging it all out manually.

It's a HUGE pain.

kennah

Vlad said:
Heh, I thought things looked a little different earlier.

Thing is, you really didn't need to bother, as whatever I don't use there is going straight to the community tower when I'm done anyway.
I was waiting for stuff to cook and working on the bridge above the area. Figured on just leaving things better than I'd found them, it wasn't out of my way at all. It was the least I could do for using your stuff :p

Sanic

Any idea as to why Java is crashing at seemingly random times? I didn't seem to have any problems initially, but it's getting worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom