• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Inkwell said:
Griefers suck. This is the kind of thing that can happen:

j9lxtz.gif

What you don't see is Artistdude's tree farm on fire, and the lava pouring from his lava fountain. He also lost stuff when he died trying to fix it when he hit a lag spike.

Holy shit, isn't GAF's a private server?? . . So we have griefers between the regular users huh?... :/

Btw, I'm buying Minecraft as I post this, time to jump into the multiplayer wagon =) !

webrunner

Notes:
Minecraft Beta 1.2
Minecraft Beta 1.2 is live. All servers need to be updated to 1.2.

New features:
* Note blocks (right click to tune, trigger to play)
* 15 wool dyes
* A new water dwelling mob
* New tree types
* Reeds magically turned into sugar canes. They still make paper.
* A bunch of new crafting recipes
* One secret useful block
* One secret pretty block
* Cake
* AND MOAR, probably. I forget!

Bugfixes:
* Paintings work in multiplayer
* Disconnecting while riding no longer keeps the player in the world
* A bunch more state is properly synched in multiplayer
* Fixed colors going weird on PowerPC
* Fixed a horrible chunk reload loop in singleplayer
* Fixed most lighting bugs in newly generated SMP maps
* Falling sand behaves better in SMP
* Fixed a few crash on load level bugs

Garcia

^^^^^^

--FFUUUUUU !!!!

:lol . . . Damn it !. . .Now I'll have to backup 1.1_02 just to check out the new update !! Thanks for the news flash :D !

there are black sheep now :O
there are also new trees. well, the wood looks different I mean, and the two different woods do not seem to stack together.

Inkwell

Banned
Artistdude fixed everything, and it's all sorted out now.

I'm wondering if the server map should be trimmed too, with all this neat stuff being added. It would be nice to not have to trek for 15 minutes just to find the new stuff.

webrunner

Cake is:
milk milk milk
sugar egg sugar
wheat wheat wheat

(you get the milk buckets back)

You can
place it as a block and then eat parts of it for health. You cannot pick up a cake block after you place it.

Music Blocks are:
wood wood wood
wood redstone wood
wood wood wood

You can right click to change tone and left click to play tone.
The actual tone is a square-wave type "pop" sound of different pitches. A coloured note appears when you use it. Also they're activated by redstone (a single tone when the redstone goes from off to on)

Garcia

Guys, WTF !. . . Did this happen in the previous Beta as well?

I was just walking my way to the sea to check out the water mob and I stumbled upon a working Portal to the Nether !! . . . Sitting between a desert and a forest area... I jumped in and I found a wooden sword, a bow and a couple of arrows.

What does this mean !?

Garcia

Lol...I just saw that the portal was sitting like.... 50 blocks away from the first one I built yesterday. But why? I remember I died in the nether and never built a 2nd portal. So the game creates portals out of thin air ?

Blizzard

Banned
Garcia said:
Lol...I just saw that the portal was sitting like.... 50 blocks away from the first one I built yesterday. But why? I remember I died in the nether and never built a 2nd portal. So the game creates portals out of thin air ?
I think it used to be bugged so a random portal would get created, and this might be exploitable for getting extra obsidian. Of course, I think portals also used to be bugs where you wouldn't come out of the portal where you would expect, and I don't know if this was fixed either.

stressboy

Saw the new wood type, and a new tree. Nice.

And finally saw the water mob. Awesome! :D

edit: Just set my world to peaceful and they are still there.

Garcia

Blizzard said:
I think it used to be bugged so a random portal would get created, and this might be exploitable for getting extra obsidian. Of course, I think portals also used to be bugs where you wouldn't come out of the portal where you would expect, and I don't know if this was fixed either.

That explains it... I just died once again in the Nether and lost 14 Gold Dust... lol . The portal decided to die on me right as I stepped on it !

Also, I just saw the water mob. Apparently they'll spawn everywhere. Just saw 3 of them chillin' in a very small pond :lol .

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
EXCITED! Just when I think I am out.... Notch pulls me back in. Seems like the single biggest update, content-wise, to come to Minecraft. It seems bigger than the Halloween update, anyway (was that really 2.5 months ago? Jesus).

New wood! Ink! Wool dyes! Music blocks!

I'm pumped.

Any links to a master list of changes, with (or without) pics?

webrunner

Other things people have discovered:

Stuff in game
Sandstone, made from sand, acts like stone (doesn't fall)
Cactus in furnace = green dye
flowers = yellow or red dye
yellow+red dye = orange dye
squid drops = black dye
white/black+other dye = darker or lighter dyes (pink/light grey/etc)
skeleton->bone->bone meal = white dye
new blue ore = blue dye

Putting a note block on a different kind of block gives different instruments
You can dye sheep.
Spiders climb walls.

Stuff in data files/etc:
Dispenser. Nobody knows how to build one or what it does

GDJustin

Interesting that dyes are made that way. They have to be baked? Huh. I assumed it would use wooden bowls or buckets. Furnaces are already used for so much.

webrunner

GDJustin said:
Interesting that dyes are made that way. They have to be baked? Huh. I assumed it would use wooden bowls or buckets. Furnaces are already used for so much.

Only Green is made that way.

Most are 1:1 made from drops or harvests.
A few are made from other dyes.

Oh, new useful block recipe found:
cobble cobble cobble
cobble bow cobble
cobble redstone cobble

dispenser

Can store items. When activated by redstone will eject the items from bottom right slot first. If it ejects an arrow it FIRES THE ARROW.

GDJustin

I also just read that you can "paint" a sheep with dye to create a sheep of that color. Besides the high amusement factor, this is actually useful. Because you can then sheer the sheep to get wool of that color, without using up as much dye. So you could create a few pink sheep to have a pink wool factory :lol

GDJustin

webrunner said:

cobble cobble cobble
cobble bow cobble
cobble redstone cobble

dispenser

Can store items. When activated by redstone will eject the items from bottom right slot first. If it ejects an arrow it FIRES THE ARROW.

I don't see how this is useful? I guess you could have a dispenser in your base, and if you hooked it up with redstone you could hit a redstone switch when you were in your mine? And then have a stream of water carry the item down to you?

IDK. People more creative than me will have to explain how they are useful.

Vlad

webrunner said:

cobble cobble cobble
cobble bow cobble
cobble redstone cobble

dispenser

Yeah, that last one is pretty interesting.... it's going to make multiplayer a fair bit more interesting... I wonder what happens if there's minecarts in it.....

EDIT: Nuts, it just
spits out the minecart as an item, not the actual thing

Don't know if it's really necessary to spoiler tag all this stuff, though...

webrunner

GDJustin said:
I don't see how this is useful? I guess you could have a dispenser in your base, and if you hooked it up with redstone you could hit a redstone switch when you were in your mine? And then have a stream of water carry the item down to you?

The most useful fact is that it fires arrows.

GDJustin

webrunner said:

Good point. People can set up pressure plate-triggered traps :lol :lol

Fake edit: Holy shit you could probably use this to create an infinite mob-killing deathtrap pretty darn easily...

webrunner

GDJustin said:

Fake edit: Holy shit you could probably use this to create an infinite mob-killing deathtrap pretty darn easily...

Well until it runs out of arrows. Still cool though.

Vlad

webrunner said:

Exactly. That + pressure plates = Indiana Jones-style adventures.

One thing to keep in mind for anyone experimenting with those: Unlike arrows you fire yourself, the ones fired by the dispenser aren't reclaimable once fired.

Rapstah

GDJustin said:

How would you fill it with arrows?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
GDJustin said:

If I read it right, sounds like you can make booby traps :D

Drewsky

I just recently started using a texture pack, so this is my first big update I've been through using a pack. Do I have to update it or anything? Or should it just keep working?

thespot84

A quick google search just revealed that posts i'd made with the server address long before this thread was moved to the community section are showing up publicly. Crap. Hopefully I can get it sanitized quickly, I have to wait for a junior to change his post.

If you guys find anything like that please let me know, as this recent greifing was quite alarming.

pirata

What the fuck, griefing in the GAF server? Hopefully we can get this cleared up quickly.

On a lighter note, this new update sounds exciting! It feels like it's been forever since we've had a major content update!

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Spiders can now climb walls.

WHAT. THE. FUCK
Vadernoooooooo ;_;

Though I'll be terrified of spiders, the other changes sound amazing. The only problem with the flock of sheep to get infinite colored wool is that sheep despawn when you get too far away, right? I don't know of a good way to actually keep a pen of livestock for your own purposes. Maybe that will come eventually...along with an actual way to steer saddle pigs. :lol

Hooray for new content!

webrunner

Another thing:

Wood blocks can be furnace'd into Charcoal

Charcoal doesn't stack with Coal but it seems to work otherwise the same (ie, you can make torches. This means you don't need coal for your first night torches)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom