• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradlums

Jasoco said:
Looking at my Nether in minutor, it might be because there just wasn't any open area to spawn in. So it ended up finding the closest empty space which just happened to have a portal which just happened to be the one at my castle.

I walked a bit further and was able to spawn in a better place in the Nether.
I see. My portal troubles might be related to the fact that my original portal was built underground.
Atomski said:
Whoa sandstone...

Love me some new content :)
Sandcastle time

Inkwell

Banned
thespot84 said:
man the server situation is super wonky, I can't even get a vanilla server running.

EDIT: this is god damned ridiculous. Running the stock server eats java alive and somehow hijacks my network adapter. I can't even disable it from the OS, I have to restart the entire box. No MC server until this is fixed kiddies. If anyone has ideas or finds out new info i'm all ears.

I see that mcadmin was updated twice today, but is there any other software that you run with the server? I'm just a little curious with the server not working correctly.

Also, what exactly is this bukkit thing?

Blizzard

Banned
According to that wiki, the sandstone thing is a mod made official but with different textures. Also, apparently a fan mod that is supposed to improve FPS is included with this release.

For whoever was asking about incorporating mods, I don't know if they asked permission but hopefully they did. :)

wiki said:
Tools made out of stone and wood are now twice as durable.
Hey awesome!

Jasoco

Banned
Blizzard said:
According to that wiki, the sandstone thing is a mod made official but with different textures. Also, apparently a fan mod that is supposed to improve FPS is included with this release.

For whoever was asking about incorporating mods, I don't know if they asked permission but hopefully they did. :)
Pretty sure they did. The guy Notch works with mentioned the creator of the FPS mod in a Tweet. Pretty sure they wouldn't just say "Yoink! Thanks for the Mod!" I wonder if they got paid anything for it though. Seeing as Notch is a millionaire. He could afford to pay royalties. A specific amount for every copy sold with the mod in it? (Hopefully retroactive)

thespot84

of courses he fixes it like 30 minutes after I stop looking.

Server's up. Currently being RE-mapped so things may or may not be sluggish. Good night and good luck.

Well, now that I know the Minecraft OT is here I guess I can keep up with you all again. :p

Anyways, any day server mods currently working? I play with a few friends on our own server and now that hmod isn't working at the moment, we were wondering if there were any alternatives. I looked around the official forums but as always it's a clusterfuck over there.

Vlad

VGChampion said:
Well, now that I know the Minecraft OT is here I guess I can keep up with you all again. :p

Anyways, any day server mods currently working? I play with a few friends on our own server and now that hmod isn't working at the moment, we were wondering if there were any alternatives. I looked around the official forums but as always it's a clusterfuck over there.

Well, there was just an update yesterday (and another smaller one today), so I'd expect to wait at least a day or so for all the server mods to get updated. That's the way it happens every time there's a patch, unfortunately.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh thank god they reduced spawn rates. I was wondering why I was getting gang-mobbed by three creepers and a skeleton army when I went out in the morning.

kennah

The_Technomancer said:
Oh thank god they reduced spawn rates. I was wondering why I was getting gang-mobbed by three creepers and a skeleton army when I went out in the morning.
I was certain there was a spawner nearby from the number of arrows and bones I found clustered in one place in the morning.

Dug up that whole hill for nothing.

webrunner

Is there any trick to getting more eggs and chickens? Chickens seem to spawn much more rarely than Pigs and Cows so I'm always hurting for arrows and I see maybe one egg every few hours.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't believe it but I'm thinking of starting a brand new world again. I started a new one a few weeks ago when the lava lake patch hit, and now with this huge update I find myself wanting to roll anew again. There will never be blue ore in my home base cave or anywhere near it now that I've explored around my spawn some. And while I could easily just travel out and start a new branch mine in a new chunk, part of me just wants to start afresh again.

This game is the silly for how it makes me want to throw all of my progress away all of the time and start over....

Garcia

Mengy said:
This game is the silly for how it makes me want to throw all of my progress away all of the time and start over....

It's seriously absurd how addicting it is.... I understand why WoW hooked up so many ppl , but for me the appeal of Minecraft lies in the fact it's a sandbox world, where you basically shape every corner of it.

Also, tomorrow can't come soon enough ! I can't wait to log in GAF's server.

Enco

Tried out the game and it's pretty awesome.

If I buy it and create a world, it'll still remain even if I join a multiplayer game, right?

Mengy said:
I don't believe it but I'm thinking of starting a brand new world again. I started a new one a few weeks ago when the lava lake patch hit, and now with this huge update I find myself wanting to roll anew again. There will never be blue ore in my home base cave or anywhere near it now that I've explored around my spawn some. And while I could easily just travel out and start a new branch mine in a new chunk, part of me just wants to start afresh again.

Isn't there some glitch you can do where the game gets confused what world you're using and tries to merge them with bits and pieces being thrown into one map? If that's still around I would love to do that at the end of beta.

webrunner

I wish it was possible to create a portal to one of your other saves, so you can legitimately easily explore new generating stuff or biomes you're not likely to see while keeping your main world progress.

Garcia

webrunner said:
I wish it was possible to create a portal to one of your other saves, so you can legitimately easily explore new generating stuff or biomes you're not likely to see while keeping your main world progress.

I love that idea. I don't know how complicated it would be to materialize tho', have you suggested that in Minecraft's Mods subforum ?

webrunner

Garcia said:
I love that idea. I don't know how complicated it would be to materialize tho', have you suggested that in Minecraft's Mods subforum ?

I think Notch said once he wanted to be able to portal between multiplayer worlds, so I would guess if he did that and rolled SP into MP (as MP-with-one-player after MP works 100%) it would be easier.

But maybe I'll post something.

ZZMitch

Yeah I just started a new world for the update, one to try out some of the new stuff and to test my computer since I have been having some BSOD errors lately (so I cleaned out my video drivers and reinstalled). But anyway, I didn't see any of the new water mobs, but I did make use of the bone meal! Very useful! I also was able to get a pretty good house going with torches and furnaces and chests going the first night, never had a start this good before. And my computer didn't crash at all through a few hours of play, hurrah! Although Half Life 2 crashed earlier... so I am still worried!

Atomski

webrunner said:

That would be an amazing mod. The portals as is are pretty worthless.. I never see the need to go to the hell world.

ZZMitch

Atomski said:
That would be an amazing mod. The portals as is are pretty worthless.. I never see the need to go to the hell world.

I feel like Notch wanted to make the nether more useful (lanters?) but wasn't able to implement it in that update. I am confident he will give it a real use besides a fast travel system though. Although netherrack is pretty useful...

This update is buggy as hell! Look what I found.
2011-01-14_150924.png

2011-01-14_150930.png

Mother of god.
2011-01-14_151026.png

This happened while I was digging into a cave.

thespot84

server down until I can a.) properly remote into it again and b.) we sort out this greifing/hax business, which i'm not educated on atm and we'll probably need to change the server host address.

Garcia

thespot84 said:
server down until I can a.) properly remote into it again and b.) we sort out this greifing/hax business, which i'm not educated on atm and we'll probably need to change the server host address.

Were you able to take out from google the server address? I remember you said it showed publicly because of a junior member posting something? I hope that's been dealt with :s .

ChoklitReign said:
This update is buggy as hell! Look what I found.
2011-01-14_151026.png

This happened while I was digging into a cave.

Is that a pyramid I'm looking in the distance?... Maybe you just found HIM....
twilight zone music

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
thespot84 said:

Hope that doesn't last too long. Sadly I can't think of much to prevent it other than making people pm you again and ask. Taking away any building features would frustrate new players. Sad as It is I think we just need to deal with it. We have a friendly group, we can help rebuild if needed.

Except Brad's tree. Screw that thing.

Blizzard

Banned
Garcia said:
Wtf, how can that be the default texture... So disturbing :s . Cow trees, Ew !
I guess I feel it's fairly recognizable as a birch tree, but I guess I grew up out in the country so it's slightly more common to see bark like that. If anything I feel like it's more high-resolution than usual tree bark. Also, I guess birch trees in general are taller and skinnier, from the pictures I was just looking up:

http://www.obikan.jp/lang/img/sig_l_017.jpg

Unicorn

How difficult is it to build a Tree Fortress? I mean, I'm having fun in my cave and all, but the exploding creepers and legion of undead are really hampering my creative spirit.

Is it just me or is nighttime longer than daytime? I hate just sitting in my cave with my weak wooden door peeking out every 5 minutes to see if day is breaking.... not like it helps as the creepers and flaming zombies just hang out in the daytime anyway :C

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Unicorn said:
How difficult is it to build a Tree Fortress? I mean, I'm having fun in my cave and all, but the exploding creepers and legion of undead are really hampering my creative spirit.

Is it just me or is nighttime longer than daytime? I hate just sitting in my cave with my weak wooden door peeking out every 5 minutes to see if day is breaking.... not like it helps as the creepers and flaming zombies just hang out in the daytime anyway :C
Last time I checked, a day lasted 10 minutes, and a night 7 minutes. Sunset and sunrise are 1 minute and a half each.

Bradlums

Unicorn said:
Making one isn't too hard. Just harvest a bunch of logs to build the stump and branches and then plant saplings all over the top. Once the server is back up you should come check mine out.
DrForester said:
Hope that doesn't last too long. Sadly I can't think of much to prevent it other than making people pm you again and ask. Taking away any building features would frustrate new players. Sad as It is I think we just need to deal with it. We have a friendly group, we can help rebuild if needed.

Except Brad's tree. Screw that thing.
Lmao I hate you.

thanks for looking into it/hosting, spot. I've been loving the world. Even if the world ends up needing reset, that would be cool too, at least we'd have access to the new stuff.

Garcia

Blizzard said:
I guess I feel it's fairly recognizable as a birch tree, but I guess I grew up out in the country so it's slightly more common to see bark like that. If anything I feel like it's more high-resolution than usual tree bark. Also, I guess birch trees in general are taller and skinnier, from the pictures I was just looking up:

http://www.obikan.jp/lang/img/sig_l_017.jpg

I see... So that's what those new MC trees are supposed to look like. Not even close but hey ! As long as it's wood I guess it's ok. I think the in-game trees would benefit were they at least 7 blocks high, positively emulating the proportions of that tree you posted.

Blizzard

Banned
Garcia said:
I see... So that's what those new MC trees are supposed to look like. Not even close but hey ! As long as it's wood I guess it's ok. I think the in-game trees would benefit were they at least 7 blocks high, positively emulating the proportions of that tree you posted.
Well see bark in detail:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/European_birch_bark.jpg

But yeah, the trunk height would be nice, though I guess you'd have to build your own ladder to cut them down in that case since trees currently hover in air. XD

Jasoco

Banned
Not a big fan of the Birch texture so I'm hoping Painterly Pack comes up with some nice alternative bark styles.

Speaking of which, I have not been able to get a single new tree type to grow. Does anyone know the specifics of them yet? Do they have to be planted in certain biomes? I don't understand. I think they should each give their own separate seedling type. Just like their wood. Would be neat if each wood made different types of wood boards and maybe doors and other wooden stuff. The more the merrier and the more textures I can replace with Painterly.

Wool

Garcia said:
Off topic: Fantastic avatar.

Thank you! I posted in the NFL thread about a month ago and I got heckled for it and someone said that I should change it in respect for epileptic people. I really don't think an epileptic person should be playing video games, much less talking about them on a forum, if they can't handle a tiny little avatar.

On Topic: Has there been more griefing since inkwell's incident? I tried going onto the server last night but it was so laggy that I kept falling though unloaded portions of the map.

pirata

S.W. said:
server seemed to be down again.
griefed glass tunnel is patched, but many tracks went missing in the flood.

WTF, they griefed my tunnels? I demand blood!

EDIT: And they stole all of my diamonds. Fuck this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom