• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Thanks for the library compliments. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It's not quite as "Grand" as I envisioned, but I figured at some point you're just expanding something for the sake of making it bigger, and that isn't so much impressive as it is a show of how much free time a person has. I figured 7 rows of bookshelves was sufficient :)

I did some math, and to make this room I had to:

- Farm & harvest 1746 papyrus. This is 27+ full stacks.
- Use 1389 wooden planks:
- 225 for the floor
- 1164 for the bookshelves
- This means chopping down 347 blocks of raw wood!

This figure is actually a little low, because it doesn't count the wood/wool in the paintings or wood/coal for the torches.

I had NO IDEA it was so many. I did the math over and over because I thought an extra digit ended up in there somehow. I did the same thing when I realized I mined out ~1800 blocks to make the room.

So... yeah. It might not look huge but in Minecraft, there are no shortcuts. Even small-ish projects are huge undertakings.

... now I have to decide what to build next! :lol :lol

Blizzard said:
Also, that water tower is awesome. You should try placing lava in the center if it's big enough. :D

Great idea, there is room down the middle though I'll have to do a little deconstruction to make it happen. I need to find lava in my world first though, of course.

Caesar III said:
I tried id myself now, boats are damn fast in going UP the waterfalls! boat lift is the way to go :) Works nice

Nice, that'll make my water tower a lot easier to traverse. I look forward to that.

Quixzlizx

I bought the game Friday night and I've already put 8-10 hours in. There's always a new project to embark on when I finish the one I'm working on.

Although, I think the difficulty in my game is bugged. I have it on normal, and I haven't seen an enemy since my second or third night, when I had to dodge a spider, skeleton, and zombie until sunbreak. Luckily, I maneuvered the spider next to the skeleton so they started fighting each other :lol. I guess I should just change it to hard, but after hearing the stories in here, I'm afraid my base will be devastated by creepers within minutes.

I also wish I could find more ore when mining. I have a ton of coal, and almost a full stack of redstone dust, but I've only found about 20 iron ore so far, and no gold at all. I need to figure out how to build something cool with that redstone dust, but it's probably hard when I'm not willing to use my iron for anything non-essential.

Vinci

Danish
I really need to buy this game already. Been spending hours at a time building one-off constructions that I know I'm simply going to lose, plus I don't have the materials the full game offers. Next time I make something of note, I'll make sure to screenshot some. Even whilst losing all of my work at present, I'm still learning a metric ton from each experience so I'm looking forward to buying it on August 1st and digging deeper into the expanded materials and items.

In short, even when you're playing the game wrong, it's still remarkably engaging.

Aaron

Gold isn't currently that useful, so I don't mind not finding it. My problem is diamonds. I have five worlds going, and I've found exactly one in one of them. I've hit the bottom of three of these worlds, and while other elements are in pretty good supply, no diamonds for me.

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
So... yeah. It might not look huge but in Minecraft, there are no shortcuts. Even small-ish projects are huge undertakings.
Well, unless you use an editor/cheat program/hacks etc. like some people. :p

Although, I think the difficulty in my game is bugged.
As I think I said once or twice, I've had the same thing with normal. Even after I built a cave house down next to the ocean on ground level, I didn't see a single enemy outside in the morning. Before the last Friday update, in my first world, I would have 2-3 creepers every single night outside my house, and I could hear zombies moaning and occasionally skeletons/spiders, just on normal difficulty.

Vinci said:
In short, even when you're playing the game wrong, it's still remarkably engaging.
You can play free creative mode and have your stuff saved if you find a good server that protects you against griefers.

Vinci

Danish
Blizzard said:
You can play free creative mode and have your stuff saved if you find a good server that protects you against griefers.

Oh. I had no idea. That would be nice. Wish I'd been able to do that with my sculpture I made a while back. It's the only thing I've made so far that I question whether I'd have the patience to rebuild.

Blizzard

Banned
Vinci said:
Oh. I had no idea. That would be nice. Wish I'd been able to do that with my sculpture I made a while back. It's the only thing I've made so far that I question whether I'd have the patience to rebuild.
Look for the one named something like "Just Another Minecraft Server" in multiplayer. If you follow the rules (type /rules) and you make ask the admins before you build something to make sure they like the idea, you can get builder status and build in big protected worlds. Just know that the admins can be jerks in the process of kickbanning hundreds of griefers, but if you follow the rules and build where you're told you can be fine.

Aaron said:
Gold isn't currently that useful, so I don't mind not finding it. My problem is diamonds. I have five worlds going, and I've found exactly one in one of them. I've hit the bottom of three of these worlds, and while other elements are in pretty good supply, no diamonds for me.
I've found a few diamonds over the many times I've started over. Always in groups of 4-5 though, never just a single one.

The last I found were in the ceiling of a cave right above a large pool of lava. Didn't even see them until I built a walkway out into the lava.

Cryect

Found a huge chamber in a cave I was mining through with waterfalls and lavafalls. Decided to level it out and turn it into an underground base. At the moment still clearing it out but I've so far built a wall of lava to see how that looks.

2vmvrqe.jpg

2cbo5s.jpg

GDJustin

Diamonds are a problem for me too. In my current world I've dug a shaft down to the adminium and dug loooooooooong tunnels in every direction down there, several of them, and only found two small veins of diamonds. I used the six diamonds to make two diamond pickaxes, thinking that the diamond pickaxes would lead to even faster discovery of more diamonds. But no dice.

I was just going to ask if there were any better way to discover them then just getting lucky at the bottom of the map. I wonder if there's intel out there about whether they hang out in the *very* bottom, or the bottom ~10 layers, or what.

Ferrio

Banned
GDJustin said:
Diamonds are a problem for me too. In my current world I've dug a shaft down to the adminium and dug loooooooooong tunnels in every direction down there, several of them, and only found two small veins of diamonds. I used the six diamonds to make two diamond pickaxes, thinking that the diamond pickaxes would lead to even faster discovery of more diamonds. But no dice.

I was just going to ask if there were any better way to discover them then just getting lucky at the bottom of the map. I wonder if there's intel out there about whether they hang out in the *very* bottom, or the bottom ~10 layers, or what.

I tend to find them around lava near the bottom.

Cryect

Diamonds from what I've seen seem to be near lava that is near the bottom of the map. Had the hardest time finding it when I was just digging deep trying to look for them but once I just started following caves that went all the way to the bottom was fairly simple.

Edit: Example that large room I just posted above I found about 17 diamonds just in that room.

Quixzlizx said:
I also wish I could find more ore when mining. I have a ton of coal, and almost a full stack of redstone dust, but I've only found about 20 iron ore so far, and no gold at all. I need to figure out how to build something cool with that redstone dust, but it's probably hard when I'm not willing to use my iron for anything non-essential.
I've never had a problem finding iron. I have two stacks of it from mining today.

Are you finding caves? Coal is everywhere, but I find the majority of my iron in caves.
GDJustin said:

The minecraft wiki says they tend to be near lava, which has been true for me. Once I found a pocket of diamonds and then ran into lava shortly after, another time I found diamonds in the roof of a cave right above a large lava pool.

GDJustin

I've found several caves in my current world but none that came even close to reaching the bottom of the map... that's part of the problem.

Ah well. I have plenty other activities to keep me busy. I've decided what my next construction project is going to be, since I've completed Pinnacle Tower and The Grand Library. No hints though... people are just gonna have to wait and see. I will say that I think it's finally time to dip into my reserve of ~2000 smooth stone :D

Aaron

I guess I'm just unlucky, since I've seen plenty of lava near the bottom of the map, but there's usually no minerals at all near them. Just plain stone. Digging around them only revealed more plain stone.

Blizzard

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Yea diamonds are rare. I found 15 so far, you gotta hit the bottom of the world and dig around like mad.
I also had trouble finding iron at first, and I think I only have a few smelted blocks of it.

And if diamonds are so rare that sounds like another reason it'd be okay to make diamond weapons not degrade. Otherwise all that work to make a new weapon that will wear out again as you look for other diamonds... :p

Blizzard said:
I also had trouble finding iron at first, and I think I only have a few smelted blocks of it.

And if diamonds are so rare that sounds like another reason it'd be okay to make diamond weapons not degrade. Otherwise all that work to make a new weapon that will wear out again as you look for other diamonds... :p
Well I don't think anyone should be looking for just diamonds. Pass through any caves you find(mining valuable ore like iron) while mining deeper and deeper.

If you do find diamonds, consider them temporary relief from having to worry about the item you put them toward as they supposedly last about 8 times as long as the typical tool.

I actually think diamonds should be more rare if they don't degrade (though I think they are fine as is).

MNC

dejay said:
That's fucking insane. Is that coloured wool?
It's the free creative version, which has noclip and all colors. So yes, colored wool ;) IMO NES pixel art isn't that special in minecraft anymore.. Unless it's made in the Alpha version.

IceMarker

Here's my map so far, I'm working on making a seaside town of sorts. This will take forever though. This would also be the first save I've actually not deleted after a week. :lol

27ww2gm.png

Ignignort

Just found my first lot of diamonds!

Was digging in my mine shaft and I could hear water, came out into a huge cavern with multiple waterfalls and lava.
Wandered around for a while and found a monster spawner! The rewards were a heap of random materials and TWO pig saddles:lol

In this cavern I mined 5 diamond, about 30 gold, over 80 steel? and heaps of red stone!

Time to finish my giant mountain side fortress now

dejay

Banned
I found out where the long tunnel I made leads - it goes underwater and comes out two islands away.

That cartographer map thingy looks amazing - i'll check it out later.

Diamonds are not thaaaat seldom it seems. I wanted to make a new map with cartographer but it keeps crashin with my savegame damnit :(

Anyway, while checking the folder, I found a txt file for my save (an older one) with some useful information

Block amounts:
Air: 86885396
Stone: 70125633
Grass: 516496
Dirt: 7924445
Snow: 0

Water: 4774943
Ice: 0
Lava: 542674

Obisidian: 6270

Trunk: 17916
Leaves: 196603
Wood: 2

Sand: 816093
Gravel: 2186854

Gold Ore: 42908
Iron Ore: 389448
Coal Ore: 786928
Diamond Ore: 17962
Redstone: 144881

So iron is about half of coal. And diamond is about a fifth of coal.

That library is seriously awesome stuff. I'm guessing you made a papyrus farm?

OP should be updated with a link to Cartograph, methinks. It's a very useful program.

Diamond is hard to find but IMO it's not actually that useful. I mean obviously it's nice for how long it can last, but when mining you basically have an endless supply of rock for your pickaxes and still need the same amount of sticks for handles. And as long as you are cautious you only really need gold armor and iron weapons. The only thing diamond pickaxes are needed for is mining obsidian, and it takes so long it's not worth it :lol

To summarise: Don't worry about not finding diamond, it's not as important as you think.

Hamster said:
Checking your numbers it's less than 1/40 of coal, you disregarded the digit difference
oh, right, damn :lol

I use stone pickaxes all the time and switch to iron if there is something useful only. Will do so with my diamond pickaxe now as well.

Boonoo

Caesar III said:
oh, right, damn :lol

I use stone pickaxes all the time and switch to iron if there is something useful only. Will do so with my diamond pickaxe now as well.

That's what I generally do, but I think with all this iron on my hands that I might as well make use of it. I'm sick of going into caves with 8 stone pickaxes and shovels. And using them all up within half an our so (the shovels much more than the pickaxes--I burn through shovels like nobodies business).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, was feeling a bit burned out before the weekend, but after two exhausting days at work and away from the game I'm back! Lets see what discoveries today holds.

building a huge giant castle. Taking screens from excavation to final product. I will post a reply that is not 56k compliant when I am done :lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Rapstah said:
Flint and Steel revolutionalized the way I remove tree tops I've cut away the trunk from:

2lwkvgz.png

No more floating leaves!

You do realize they wither away in a matter of minutes right? :lol

Acosta

Guys, in your opinion, should I try to discover myself the recipes and just check them out? I'm having space problems and don't find the way to create storage (I know a wiki with the recipes, but I have the feeling it will spoil me if I check it). What did you do?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Acosta said:
Guys, in your opinion, should I try to discover myself the recipes and just check them out? I'm having space problems and don't find the way to create storage (I know a wiki with the recipes, but I have the feeling it will spoil me if I check it). What did you do?

Just check the recipes, man :lol

Boonoo

Acosta said:

Don't do it!

Just think about the general shape of a wooden treasure chest, and have at it!

I played the first few days without looking at a crafting guide. It was great! Those first few nights were scary.

Acosta

Boonoo said:
Don't do it!

Just think about the general shape of a wooden treasure chest, and have at it!

I played the first few days without looking at a crafting guide. It was great! Those first few nights were scary.

:lol I did the same, the first two nights were scary as shit, I didn't know the rules for a proper play (just played the trial), I knew there was monsters but I didn't know when or how they appeared, I had the idea they would come in deeper levels, I had no idea how to build stuff, I just knew how to put blocks.

When I was trying to build a small house, I hear some weird zombie noises and suddenly I'm being attacked by a guy with arrows. After being killed and respawning, I build some basic stuff to bruy myself at night, but I didn't even know how to build torches, so it was me, in a hole, all dark, being assaulted by freaky zombie things I couldn't see. I think I have never loved a digital sunrise as much as the one of Minecraft.

I figured the workbench, the sword and the pick, but I'm stuck with the container, going to try a little more before checking the recipes.

Fist_House.jpg

My first home, humble but I was damn proud of it of having a safe place to call my own. Now it´s a bit expanded (the terrace is bigger, and it´s has an interior garden) and started working on my first mine and trying some experiments with water.

Finally gave Cartograph a shot... awesome little program, but it kinda takes away the sense of discovery.

Acosta: the container has to be one of the simplest recipes in the game. I think you may be overthinking it. :D

Oh, and I haven't checked out the crafting wiki at all. The only thing I've asked about was the paintings, which I absolutely couldn't figure out... turned out those were easier than I thought as well. I figured out all the pieces of armor and from the screenshots I've seen, I think I've figured out all the tools/weapons. (Pickaxe, axe, shovel, hoe, bucket, sword, bow... anything else?)

Acosta

Funky Functionality said:
Finally gave Cartograph a shot... awesome little program, but it kinda takes away the sense of discovery.

Acosta: the container has to be one of the simplest recipes in the game. I think you may be overthinking it. :D

Oh, and I haven't checked out the crafting wiki at all. The only thing I've asked about was the paintings, which I absolutely couldn't figure out... turned out those were easier than I thought as well. I figured out all the pieces of armor and from the screenshots I've seen, I think I've figured out all the tools/weapons. (Pickaxe, axe, shovel, hoe, bucket, sword, bow... anything else?)

I just made a frigging boat trying to find the container recipe :lol Yes, I think I'm overthinking it, but I'll found it!

Edit: Haha, I just found it, I'm dumb!

nataku

Here are a couple quick shots of my mountain base so far. I'm working on replacing a lot of the cobblestone with smooth stone right now, plus a few odd places of dirt that shouldn't be there.

This entire thing started out as a solid mountain which I mined hollow. It's a couple stories higher than what you see here, but the top is going to be mostly for storage.

Outside
minecraft_base1.jpg

Inside
minecraft_base2.jpg

The waterfall was there naturally. It ended up flowing over to the right (left in the top image) more than I wanted it to because I hit a couple blocks that made it widen a bit more. I liked the way it looked, so I left it.

After I get the outside looking the way I want I need to do something with the inside.

|ync

I've spent way too much time on this over the week so I need to take a break, but seeing all the cool stuff people have been doing I wanted to show off my latest project, the Mother Tree (complete with floating aqueduct).

mothertree1.jpg

I constructed it by planting trees on top of one big tree on a lonely hilltop and kept expanding from there. It's still a bit of a work in progress so there's some extra scaffolding around, but eventually I plan to get rid of the ugly blocks, mount some torches for atmosphere, and maybe put a few waterfalls flowing down from the tree.

mothertree4.jpg

Here's a shot along the aqueduct over to a large floating island I found. Midway through construction I thought maybe it would be fun ride a boat along it but unfortunately it turns out one square is too thin for boats.. :(

mothertree8.jpg

Last shot from the top of the tree at night, if you look closely you can see that the tree is now higher than the clouds

mothertree11.jpg

On the left you can make out one of my signal towers and a small outpost on the shoreline. My favourite things so far has been the feeling of isolation (the constant snowfall helps immensely) and exploration. At one point I thought it would be a good idea to do a quick lap of the island, not realizing that the terrain will just continuously grow (My save grew from something like 200 KB to 53 MB)

After 6 days and nights of running along the shore (Don't ask how long that is in real time) I realized my error and started constructing my first outpost. Unbeknownst to me I happened to be building right next to a large cave filled with monsters. Half way through the night a creeper blew down my wall and while running from the skeletons I was taken out by another creeper.

Arriving back at my spawn I failed to learn my lesson and the next night ran wildly away from more monsters and got thoroughly lost, then more lost trying to find my way back in the morning. Eventually I hit the ocean again and finally smartened up. I built an outpost, a big signal tower on the shore, and stocked up on supplies. When I was ready I set out in the direction I thought was home, this time making small waypoints every so often so that my route back to the outpost was always visible.

Several days and 31 waypoints later I ended up back on the coast and decided to build another outpost and restock my supplies. While digging for coal I broke through the top of a hill and suddenly found myself looking at a familiar landmark.

light%20at%20the%20end%20of%20the%20tunnel.jpg

Seeing that floating island again was one of the most amazing feelings I've ever had while playing a game (right up there with Ico
when you think you've escaped the castle and then yorda gets pulled back as the bridge collapses. To this day I'm not sure if the next part where you leap back towards yorda but can't quite make the jump is a cut scene or not because that's exactly what I was doing with the controller *single tear*
). It turns out through animal instinct and a lot of luck I'd found my way right into my backyard without even knowing it. The outpost and signal tower you see in that night shot were constructed before I even realized where I was :) (obviously this all happened before I made the Mother tree and giant aqueduct)

Since then I have returned to finish my first abandoned outpost and mark a proper route, though I am still not clear where it lies in relation to base, somewhere far to the north west I believe (I originally set out to the south east but know I looped around because I encounter the path to my second outpost along the way). Eventually I plan to go back and clear out that monster filled cave, maybe it even leads to a dungeon! (haven't found one yet)

Long story short: this game is amazing, I can't wait for multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom