• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I logged in it worked. Then there was an error when trying to teleport to Vlad and now I can't log back in. It just takes too long to log in and times out.

Edit: Don't worry. It's the lag of the server, not me.

IceMarker

Unicorn said:
Do I just drag and drop the files into Minecraft stuff or how do I go about doing this stuff. Is there a guide somewhere? Scribblecraft mentioned something about HD or some nonsense.
All you have to do is open the Minecraft texture pack folder and drag and drop the .zip file of the pack you want into there and it should pop up in the list in Minecraft.

Vlad

MrMister said:
All you have to do is open the Minecraft texture pack folder and drag and drop the .zip file of the pack you want into there and it should pop up in the list in Minecraft.

Actually, that won't work for texture packs larger than 16x16. There's a patcher out there that will allow larger textures that you have to run beforehand.

Unicorn

MrMister said:
going to appdata\roaming\bin folder or in the minecraft.zip and what folder in there?

Tried watching some youtube tutorial, but it seems confusing

edit:
nvm I guess that video is old and an update had made it possible to do it in-game

EDIT:

How come with the Eldpack the furnace has no top texture? I can use it as like some all seeing eye to see all the caves and underground rivers of lava and stuff.

Jasoco

Banned
Unicorn said:
How come with the Eldpack the furnace has no top texture? I can use it as like some all seeing eye to see all the caves and underground rivers of lava and stuff.
Because it's out of date and furnaces now use a new texture for the top instead of smooth stone. People by now should realize when an update comes out with new blocks, wait for the texture pack to be updated before switching back to it!

Vlad said:
Actually, that won't work for texture packs larger than 16x16. There's a patcher out there that will allow larger textures that you have to run beforehand.
No, 32x32 will work fine. It's 64x64 and higher that won't without a hack.

WedgeX

Banned
Finally made my way to the gaf server. So amazing!

I think I'm going to find a semi-high spot and build a tree base. Re-reading the Fellowship of the Ring inspired me.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't know if it was broken or something, but I no longer see any colored sheep (Only white) and I haven't seen a Squid since day 1. And I have a lot of ocean to search. I'm on Peaceful, but that should not matter as it worked before and neither of those are hostile.

Also, Jebus Chris, I'm trying to build a lighthouse on an island and these freaking barnyard animals won't leave me alone. There's more than there usually are too! Sheeeesh! They keep getting under foot. Go away! Shoo!

DiabolicalBagel said:
A little something Artistdude would like to share with you guys: Saria's Song =)
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

That needs to be automatic! Then make it loop over and over and hide it inside a forest. Then do the windmill song! Then build a windmill over it. Holy shit.... wish I had the technical knowhow to do that.

tingle.gif

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

That needs to be automatic! Then make it loop over and over and hide it inside a forest. Then do the windmill song! Then build a windmill over it. Holy shit.... wish I had the technical knowhow to do that.

tingle.gif

this is the best minecraft-related idea i have heard in forever

Articalys said:
Beta went live two days ago, how the devil does one plan and execute something like that so fast?
ArtistDude is kind of a machine, heh.

Jasoco

Banned
Twig said:

this is the best minecraft-related idea i have heard in forever
If someone does it and uploads the save file, I will totally make one on my own world. I got plenty of space left to put stuff.

Garcia

Saria's Song sounds amazing :D !

So basically Notch realized this game had the potential to be the next Mario Paint of Youtube. He's created a monster :) .

Blizzard

Banned
Garcia said:
Saria's Song sounds amazing :D !

So basically Notch realized this game had the potential to be the next Mario Paint of Youtube. He's created a monster :) .
I like how the logic was pretty robust to begin with, allowing people to make scrolling messages and the ALU or whatnot. I think it would be nice if he would actually add a couple more "cheat" blocks, or something to that effect, that would allow people to build (de)multiplexers, sequencers, and maybe some sort of random selectors. Those three blocks together might allow some really cool things without using so much space.

Of course, performance and lag needs improved still too, so maybe we should be worried about too much content being aded. :p

Jasoco

Banned
He needs to make "Red Stone Boxes" as people have mentioned before. They would not only shrink "electronics" down quite a bit, but also help with the lag since it would only need to calculate one box instead of a bunch of red stone dust circuits. You'd still need the redstone, but it would go inside a box in a certain pattern for each gate. Imagine all the memory circuits in boxes. You could get a lot more RAM in your MineCraft CPU's in a much smaller area.

As long as it doesn't take away from the fun that is. I think done right it could make it more fun.

Anyways, I hope he adds more instruments soon. There's plenty of block types to play with and plenty of music instruments to mimic. All in good time.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, this is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in Minecraft. Still Alive from Portal. Credit goes to Tritex989 for creating this masterpiece, it has a great finale too:

Note: this is his full version of the song, not the snippet posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9SPywEGm4

O_O.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just spent five hours hollowing out a mountain and filling it with enough platforms and staircases to give Escher a headache....yeah, my Minecraft addiction is back in full force alright.

Mengy said:
Okay, this is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in Minecraft. Still Alive from Portal. Credit goes to Tritex989 for creating this masterpiece, it has a great finale too:

Note: this is his full version of the song, not the snippet posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9SPywEGm4

O_O.

holy shit.

the update's only been out a couple of days and we have this already?

although it's not perfect timing wise, that's pretty damn impressive.

hell, I can barely make self opening double doors using redstone wire then this happens.. lol

I have some problem getting my server online... When I leave the server-ip option blank in the config file the server works and I can connect via my home network IP but not through my external IP. When i change server-ip from blank to my external IP I get this error message:

Code:
[WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
[WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

Any ideas on how to fix this? And yes, the port I'm using is open, at least that's what canyouseeme.org says.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working now.

Its a zombie that fell to its death, landed on its side, but has froze in place. We've seen them on my server too.

As much as I'd like to think its a secret Minecraft tommygun.

kai3345

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Its a zombie that fell to its death, landed on its side, but has froze in place. We've seen them on my server too.

As much as I'd like to think its a secret Minecraft tommygun.
I wish minecraft had cool easter eggs you could find while digging, like a dead body for example, but I think this is just a glitch

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Minecraft hard crashes my entire PC on start-up, now :/ I have to manually turn the system off and back on.

It doesn't happen when the program is opened. It happens when I load a world.

It might not be the game, though. This machine is 5 years old and I think the CPU is beginning to fail. Although other games, including WoW, work OK.

Drewsky

I'm playing on a Mac, but since the update it seems like it crashes on log in a lot. I just have to force quit it and try again and it usually works on a second try.

Inkwell

Banned
I've been using these two mods recently:

Optimine
- It's meant to give you an FPS boost. I didn't notice anything, but it might help a slower PC.

McRegion - Now this is awesome. It speeds up loading and saving, and it seems like it stops stuttering when loading a world and I think when entering new areas. More importantly it has server support. If it's not being used, I would love to see this installed on the GAF server to see if it helps with the recent lag and chunk errors.

Bradlums

WedgeX said:
Finally made my way to the gaf server. So amazing!

I think I'm going to find a semi-high spot and build a tree base. Re-reading the Fellowship of the Ring inspired me.
Build it next to mine! We could build a bridge between them and have the ultimate tree fort :D

WedgeX

Banned
Bradlums said:
Build it next to mine! We could build a bridge between them and have the ultimate tree fort :D

I'm going to build a practice one first in the middle of nowhere and then I will! Where is yours?

L00P

Goddamit I can't get out of the Nether! I try to get into the portal but dozens of those flying things keeps shooting at me! Fuck!

kennah

L00P said:
Goddamit I can't get out of the Nether! I try to get into the portal but dozens of those flying things keeps shooting at me! Fuck!
Put it on peaceful just long enough tp escape. Or die.

Sanic

Snytbaggen said:
I have some problem getting my server online... When I leave the server-ip option blank in the config file the server works and I can connect via my home network IP but not through my external IP. When i change server-ip from blank to my external IP I get this error message:

Code:
[WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
[WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

Any ideas on how to fix this? And yes, the port I'm using is open, at least that's what canyouseeme.org says.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working now.

How did you get this fixed? I'm having the same issue.

Pandoracell said:
How did you get this fixed? I'm having the same issue.
I followed an old tutorial I found on YouTube, which said I should put my local IP as server-ip. I did that and asked a friend to connect to [external IP]:[port], while I connected to [local IP]:[port] and it worked. He had to connect a few times, though, before it accepted him.

Bradlums

WedgeX said:
I'm going to build a practice one first in the middle of nowhere and then I will! Where is yours?
Head north on the walkobahn from the comm tower (Clouds always move north) and a little before you get to the giant sphere, my tree will be across the lake on the left. Should be able to see it if you have on far view distance. If you want someone to help build let me know :p

Kritz

Banned
I tried to join the server a few times this past week but every time I do it's so amazingly laggy, even after waiting a few hours for content to load. Looks like I'll be sticking with the AusGAF not-so-dedicated server for now.

Jasoco

Banned
Is there no way to find bones on peaceful? Seems stupid to make important objects require you to have to fight enemies. Bones should be a new block type "fossil" that you can find while mining. I can't even make lighter wool. And ever since the bugfix update, I cant even find black wool or ink because all squids and colored sheep have completely disappeared from the game.

ZZMitch

Jasoco said:
Is there no way to find bones on peaceful? Seems stupid to make important objects require you to have to fight enemies. Bones should be a new block type "fossil" that you can find while mining. I can't even make lighter wool. And ever since the bugfix update, I cant even find black wool or ink because all squids and colored sheep have completely disappeared from the game.

Time to start playing the real game!

Just kidding, fossils and other stuff to find below ground would be cool.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jasoco said:
I don't fight skeletons for them, I just wait for them to burn up in the morning and go out gathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom