• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

I swear those creepers..... givin me heart attacks all the time. SSSSssSSsssSSSs.....

ZZMitch said:
Time to start playing the real game!

Just kidding, fossils and other stuff to find below ground would be cool.

That, and also easter eggs as it's been suggested already. I'd love to have those !

Wool

Dungeons are kind of like easter eggs, just extremely hard to find from my experience. Have any of you found a dungeon without mapping software or anything?

Drewsky

rdelaney said:
Dungeons are kind of like easter eggs, just extremely hard to find from my experience. Have any of you found a dungeon without mapping software or anything?
Yeah, I ran into one by fluke one time while just digging around. Just the one time though.

Blizzard

Banned
rdelaney said:
I've found at least one, maybe two, and I've never used mapping software. I think in my case I heard ominous music and/or monster noises, and maybe some of those heart-attack-causing musical cues, and I explored in that direction to find the dungeon.

Garcia

rdelaney said:

Just 2 so far. One of them blew my mind since it was sitting 40 blocks beneath my own base, I just began digging deeper and deeper until I hear lots of spiders screeching and getting louder. It was a dungeon and I found a disc inside the treasure chest ! Along with 4 iron ingots and 3 pieces of bread. The 2nd dungeon was deep inside a complex cave system which I spelunked for almost 5 hours. That one got me a saddle, 5 strings and an apple.

Both were legit finds.

ZZMitch

I found a dungeon while on a boating trip.

I heard a bunch of spiders while boating and dug in that spot and flooded a dungeon a few blocks below the surface.

I also found on in some huge cave somewhere under my base.

A few others too I think, can't think of them atm.

I had one world where the spawn point was about 10 blocks away from a dungeon that was exposed to the surface for some reason. Complete with 2 chests! So many saddles.

I've found a few others, including one on spot's server.

edit: eldpack looks pretty great, but it doesn't seem to have colored wool yet (just got the latest version). plus the top of my furnaces is missing.

Zaphod

The map I play on has plenty of dungeons, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that the core of the map is vintage to the earliest days of multiplayer.

ZZMitch

Atomski said:
Ive probably found almost 10 dungeons on my world. I have only found one record though :/.

I got a record in the first hour or so of my world. I got a skeleton to kill a creeper while entering on of my first caves, it was so awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
I would turn on Easy if it meant enemies only spawned outside at night and not in caves during the day. I can easily find shelter when the sun goes down, but I don't like getting killed over and over while exploring a cave. That's just bullshit.

Anyway, it seems one of the updates broke settings saving. It no longer remembers my sound settings. The volume always resets to 21% Music and 50% SFX. Which is what I had it set at once. So it's apparently not saving this setting anymore. But is reading the old value fine. Last time it had a problem remembering custom controls. How does he keep breaking such frivolous features that have possibly nothing to do with what they were working on? It's like every time something totally random and unexpected breaks even though it had nothing to do with the systems that the new features belong to.

Not to mention my still missing Squids and Black/Gray sheep. I can't get any black dye at all now. And blue is hard enough.

My current world is 1/3 desert, and FILLED with shallow dungeons, many of which suffered some kind of sand cave in so they have nowhere for the mobs to spawn. I must have found 15.

rdelaney said:

Found 7 on the GAF server today, 2 were due two chunk errors and once I explored the caves attached to those I found two more. Found another by just exploring a cave in the side of a cliff. Also found one that had a sand roof that had collapsed in, also found another in the same cave system that was attached to the collapsed roof one.

Best way besides chunk errors is to just explore caves and check out regions with a lot of sand.

Got two records (both green ) and a golden apple today plus the other various things you find in them :D

Garcia

Atomski said:
I wish the game had more random stuff to find. Like seeing a abandoned shack in the distance would blow my mind.

Or maybe random chests scattered all over the world, not only in dungeons but also at the most random spots like right underneath a tree or 2 blocks underground of a weird spot surrounded by flowers or cactus disposed in regular patterns (ala Zelda).

That would be really cool and it would give a big push to those adventuring trips.

ZZMitch

Atomski said:
I wish the game had more random stuff to find. Like seeing a abandoned shack in the distance would blow my mind.

Yeah stuff like that would be awesome and I hope are some of the things he is going to add in his beta work

Jasoco

Banned
Garcia said:
He's got plenty of work to do. The ammount of RAM the game asks for is just.... .stupid.
It needs to be ported to something other than Java, if you ask me. I'm pretty sure this game has less visible polygons than an Unreal game. He just needs to port it to something faster. Maybe in time as he gets further along and a bigger team he can do some real porting.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
rdelaney said:
I found 3 today, actually. Two of them were only thirty blocks or so apart from each other.

Jasoco

Banned
Nah, I usually find them with Minutor, but I have found a couple surface ones without any help. One was right inside a mountain with a neat little doorway right to the inside hiding behind a tree. Since I play on peaceful and at the time it didn't have the spinner in it anymore, I didn't know what kind it was. Nor do I know what kind any others are.

Yo Gotti

Banned
So I'm playing after the 1.2 beta update and I don't see spiders climbing any walls.

Should I start a new world to reap these benefits or was that just a lie?

Jasoco

Banned
I only use dungeons for their mossy cobblestone. I haven't used any of it yet, but I'm saving it all up for some point in the future. Not sure why.

Also, finally saw a black and light grey sheep. But still no squid. :(

ZZMitch

Yo Gotti said:
So I'm playing after the 1.2 beta update and I don't see spiders climbing any walls.

They definitely climb walls, earlier I saw a spider outside my door and I went out to kill it (needed the string for a bow) and I couldn't find it. Turns out it had climbed to the top of my house and by the time I realized it had fallen on top of me and hit me. Scared me half to death, it got a few more shots in before I gathered my self and killed it!

Also I just made a staircase to the core and found diamond three blocks into my first cave! I am liking this world!

Also haven't seen any squid, looked for a while, lame.

Unicorn

So, I had a date scheduled with my girlfriend tonight.

Keyword is "HAD"

I think its obvious what happened to make that the key word... :C

ZZMitch

Unicorn said:
So, I had a date scheduled with my girlfriend tonight.

Keyword is "HAD"

I think its obvious what happened to make that the key word... :C

If I am understanding you correctly... maybe it is time for Notch to add a clock crafting recipe to Minecraft?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
rdelaney said:

I've never used mapping software and I come across dungeons all the time. Probably about 15 of them, in my Minecraft career. Surprised to hear you all say you've encountered so few of them.

In my last world there was a dungeon immediately under my spawn, in fact.

A few worlds ago had not one, but TWO dungeons that weren't even underground... they were partially exposed.

Hylian7

I made a world a few days ago (after the most recent update) that had a dungeon in the side of a mountain and was exposed to the outside! It was literally right there as cave!

thespot84

server back up.

I'm not really sure what contributes a.) to the lag and b.) to the server crashing all the time (which might contribute to lag)

Either way, there's been a definitely lull in development activity on McAdmin. I'll in the future look for a fork of the project (i think it's open source) or another wrapper. If anyone has suggestions/good experience with wrappers i'm happy to hear them.

Edit: Map update should be done by morning.

IceMarker

Yo Gotti said:

Luckily, Spiders have terrible pathing when they start climbing. They either do find you or they hurt themselves in the process.

Garcia

thespot84 said:
I'm not really sure what contributes a.) to the lag and b.) to the server crashing all the time (which might contribute to lag)

I think a) is an issue that worsened with this new update. I can tell my MC is becoming obnoxiously laggy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Someone mine helping me out. Recently started with the game and trying get the basic needs. Built shelter and everything... well more of a castle that took about 4/5 hours. But I can't really seem to ever find stuff to make fire, weapons or tools. I found wood. Tons of dirt, sand, and gravel. Not much else though

Garcia

shintoki said:
Someone mine helping me out. Recently started with the game and trying get the basic needs. Built shelter and everything... well more of a castle that took about 4/5 hours. But I can't really seem to ever find stuff to make fire, weapons or tools. I found wood. Tons of dirt, sand, and gravel. Not much else though

If you're playing vanilla then you definitely have to check this out. It is the most comprehensible mining guide ever written :) .

This picture here shows you where to succesfully look for ores.

And one tip I could give you that has really improved my chances for finding rare ores and lots of iron (which you'll definitely be needing) : Don't strip mine (tunnel mining at random), instead focus on finding natural cave systems and go explore every single inch of them. It is easily the best way for finding plenty of ores and it is less time consuming since basically the ores will be screaming right in front (or top) of you.

Also, remember to always carry at least 30 chunks of wood and 64 sticks as a minimum. The wood will be needed for crafting chests since you will eventually reach the point where you'll be carrying way too much valuable resources and loosing all your precious to a random creeper or accidental lava fall will make you rage like crazy. The sticks are for all the torches you'll be placing everywhere, and you will pretty much always find coal inside any cave regardless of the depth so I wouldn't worry too much about bringing extra coal to your spelunking tips.

Hope this helps.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Garcia said:
If you're playing vanilla then you definitely have to check this out. It is the most comprehensible mining guide ever written :) .

This picture here shows you where to succesfully look for ores.

And one tip I could give you that has really improved my chances for finding rare ores and lots of iron (which you'll definitely be needing) : Don't strip mine (tunnel mining at random), instead focus on finding natural cave systems and go explore every single inch of them. It is easily the best way for finding plenty of ores and it is less time consuming since basically the ores will be screaming right in front (or top) of you.

Also, remember to always carry at least 30 chunks of wood and 64 sticks as a minimum. The wood will be needed for crafting chests since you will eventually reach the point where you'll be carrying way too much valuable resources and loosing all your precious to a random creeper or accidental lava fall will make you rage like crazy. The sticks are for all the torches you'll be placing everywhere, and you will pretty much always find coal inside any cave regardless of the depth so I wouldn't worry too much about bringing extra coal to your spelunking tips.

Hope this helps.

Yup. The too long, didn't read version?

1) Find and explore natural caves.
2) Take wood in with you, but not much else.
3) Every once in a while build a chest and place your dug up ores in it, so you don't lose everything upon death. Or have a chest at your entrance you return to periodically.

The wood is critical, because you can't get it underground. If you run out... no more tools, no more chests, no more torches. I disagree that you should have block blocks and sticks, though. Just take a big pile of untouched lumber. You can then do with it what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom