• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

I still don't know if this just because I'm new to the server or if it's something permanent:

I see that the minimap Mod is fully functional, however when I tried to craft a custom item (fist) it did show up, however I was never able to pick it up from the crafting table. Does that mean those kind of mods, the ones that introduce custom recipes and items won't work at all?

I suppose that makes sense.... The server decides what is avaliable and what isn't.

Am I correct?

well the server just kicked me out as a stream of water was pushing me toward a lava lake. Hope I don't die and lose my diamond tools :(

edit: woo! I survived :D And I found some Lapis Lazuli. Now to find out the safest way to get to it.

qDomH.png

barnone

So hard to connect. I just want to work on the recreation of jabba's palace :(

edit: for the few people helping out here is a simple image of the design I am going for. There are three towers, but for now I just want to focus on the central orange tower. I want to build the circular base first and then work on the side view ( the height view ) across the central diameter of the circle. After that it's just making smaller circles upward.

We can link to tinypic right?
http://i54.tinypic.com/2rp5z4i.jpg
You would have to save and zoom in on the picture to view it properly

basing it off of this

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Pandaman said:
mine, as in my own.

my own craft(s)
Nevermind, then, I wasn't missing anything after all.

I would have guessed that's more of a happy coincidence than an intentional pun, but whatever.

thespot84

barnone said:
So hard to connect. I just want to work on the recreation of jabba's palace :(

edit: for the few people helping out here is a simple image of the design I am going for. There are three towers, but for now I just want to focus on the central orange tower. I want to build the circular base first and then work on the side view ( the height view ) across the central diameter of the circle. After that it's just making smaller circles upward.

We can link to tinypic right?
http://i54.tinypic.com/2rp5z4i.jpg
You would have to save and zoom in on the picture to view it properly

basing it off of this

The best tool i've found for blueprinting is excel, hands down. Just make the columns/rows 1x2 (to account for step blocks) and you've got a template you can do anything with. patzCU and I did the machine from contact that way and it made it so much easier

Jasoco

Banned
You stupid fucking cow! God dammit, asshole!

I'm trying to make a well on an island that I plan on building a town on and the fucking cow pushed me into the well! After I already fell down it once and got my way out! I say hang him for attempted murder! Asshole!

barnone

thespot84 said:
The best tool i've found for blueprinting is excel, hands down. Just make the columns/rows 1x2 (to account for step blocks) and you've got a template you can do anything with. patzCU and I did the machine from contact that way and it made it so much easier

I'll definitely look into that. Paint is a bit tedious

thespot84

Unicorn said:
How easy is it to set up a server? Want to play with a handful of friends.

What kind of resources do I need?

You need:

An internet connection (sorry for being cheeky). It should have roughly 250kpbs per person UPstream. Consider also any bandwidth caps from your service provider.

A router and access to your router and the know-how to forward specific ports to a machine on your network.

A copy of minecraft_server.jar from the website.

I recommend running a server wrapper on top of the minecraft server for better administration (options, item spawning, ban lists, playere management etc). The only one that I'm familiar with is McAdmin (gafland runs it) and it's alright. I'd research server wrappers yourself.

There are also mods, such as llamacraft and runecraft you can decide to run on top of your server, again, optional.

Enco

Set up a server for me and my brother and it's great fun living in our own world :lol

Got a nice home under a grassy hill with a large pond/pit of water outside. Hills surrounding the area with some cows, pigs and chickens. It's a nice place to live.

Here's lots of help with servers:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1013&t=25110

I found it helpful to run the server program, close it and then run it again after the files had been created.

I'll upload some pics of my home when it's more complete later today.

Jasoco

Banned
Spent all day building my world. Started with a small island I found and built a lighthouse on the other day. Built a house. Built a path. Built another house. And a bridge to a neighboring small island. In time I plan on making a road all the way back to my castle with houses all along the way.

Hope some day I can make furniture to put in them and recruit people to live in them.

2nvwm5l.jpg

Community well
Light house with lava at top (Is it just me or is lava not all that bright? I bet it'd have been brighter if I had used fire.)
Two houses so far
Chocolate cake

I like to use gravel for roads because it makes sense and what else am I going to use it for? And my houses are wood and sandstone with cobblestone foundations. The better house has a basement. The empty grass area in the second to last shot will be another house as another road branches off towards the north. (Top-left)

Now all I need is furniture and tenants!

Edit: Questions about servers:

It seems from Googling that the OS X version of the server will not work on Snow Leopard. The only Leopard Mac I have is an old G4 Mac mini. Will the server work on that? On a PowerPC?

Also, there is a lot of lag when playing on a server across the internet. Is the lag as bad if I am playing on a personal server within the same network? i.e. if I connect via the computer's internal IP instead of the internet IP so I'd be connecting directly to the server? Would the lag be less?

Guiberu

I must say.

I watched a little Youtube series (Planetoids) regarding this game and immediately went and bought it.

So very, very addicting.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Jasoco said:
Spent all day building my world. Started with a small island I found and built a lighthouse on the other day. Built a house. Built a path. Built another house. And a bridge to a neighboring small island. In time I plan on making a road all the way back to my castle with houses all along the way.

Hope some day I can make furniture to put in them and recruit people to live in them.

2nvwm5l.jpg

Community well
Light house with lava at top (Is it just me or is lava not all that bright? I bet it'd have been brighter if I had used fire.)
Two houses so far
Chocolate cake

I like to use gravel for roads because it makes sense and what else am I going to use it for? And my houses are wood and sandstone with cobblestone foundations. The better house has a basement. The empty grass area in the second to last shot will be another house as another road branches off towards the north. (Top-left)

Now all I need is furniture and tenants!

Edit: Questions about servers:

It seems from Googling that the OS X version of the server will not work on Snow Leopard. The only Leopard Mac I have is an old G4 Mac mini. Will the server work on that? On a PowerPC?

Also, there is a lot of lag when playing on a server across the internet. Is the lag as bad if I am playing on a personal server within the same network? i.e. if I connect via the computer's internal IP instead of the internet IP so I'd be connecting directly to the server? Would the lag be less?

How do you stack Fence like that? I have tried and can never get it to work? Is it a sign post or something?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Mincecraft is still crashing my Macbook pro within ~5 minutes of firing it up... every single time. It hard-locks the entire machine, and I have to manually turn it off and back on.

This never used to happen. But the machine itself has become more unstable, so I don't know if it is the old hardware or something in MC.

I'm thinking it is MC though, because I do experience random crashes more often now, but with MC it is every single time. I play other games, including WoW, without experiencing this behavior.

Vlad

Borman said:
I run it on a Macbook Air with no issues, runs real nice.

This.

Basically, make a stack of dirt or something, place a fencepost on the top. Destroy the highest piece of dirt, place a fencepost on that, repeat.

ZZMitch

Thanks for the responses! I am just thinking about what laptop to get for college... for some reason I prefer windows desktops and mac laptops... I am weird I guess.

GDJustin said:
Mincecraft is still crashing my Macbook pro within ~5 minutes of firing it up... every single time. It hard-locks the entire machine, and I have to manually turn it off and back on.

This never used to happen. But the machine itself has become more unstable, so I don't know if it is the old hardware or something in MC.

I'm thinking it is MC though, because I do experience random crashes more often now, but with MC it is every single time. I play other games, including WoW, without experiencing this behavior.

Any chance it is a java issue?

todahawk

Garcia said:
Holy crap @ the Companion Cube guys..... O.O .

It makes a awesome nightlight when I'm sitting on the upper decks of my house. I really wish Notch would make us some chairs, beer and cigars so we can kick back and relax once we have all our shit built.

todahawk

ZZMitch said:
Does anyone here play Minecraft on their Macbook Pros?

I am wondering how well it runs...

I do on occasion, just make sure you keep it ventilated or the fans will kick in. You running Snow Leopard or regular Leopard? I'm just getting ready to upgrade my Macbook Pro...

*oops, sorry for the dp!

Unicorn

So, my friend wants to buy Minecraft, but it looks like the website is down.

Is there a way he can buy it and verify it for multiplayer or does he have to wait for the website to be back up. Notch mentioned something about the Amazon Cloud still being up on his blog....

EDIT:
NVM SITE IS BACK ONLINE!

r1chard

ZZMitch said:
Does anyone here play Minecraft on their Macbook Pros?

I am wondering how well it runs...
The only problem I have is running dual-screen - Minecraft reliably crashes if it's not running on the primary screen. Some sort of mouse lookup bug.

todahawk

r1chard said:
The only problem I have is running dual-screen - Minecraft reliably crashes if it's not running on the primary screen. Some sort of mouse lookup bug.

I've found that as long as I start the game and get to a gameplay screen on my MacBook Pro's primary screen I can then safely move it to my secondary monitor without issue. Nothing else has worked for me but that.

Wool

So, if I were to make a full set of diamond armor, would that make me extremely hard to kill or would that just mean that the armor will last longer? I'm sick and tired of getting killed while mining by a creeper who somehow traversed the lava pools I carefully took 10 minutes to get around. Does the armor have to have been depleted for your health to go to 0?

r1chard

greenjerk said:
I've found that as long as I start the game and get to a gameplay screen on my MacBook Pro's primary screen I can then safely move it to my secondary monitor without issue. Nothing else has worked for me but that.
Thanks, that worked for me too.

Jasoco

Banned
Ran into the "tile 999" bug yesterday while digging a tunnel. Where the game freaks out and refuses to mine anything in front of you if its tile is at 999 X or Z. It's weird. Had to do a little manipulating around to finally get it to hit the tile.

I also noticed it updated. But I don't see any changes and the version number didn't change either. And my squids are STILL MISSING. Do squids exist anywhere anymore? I haven't seen one since the 13th!

Blizzard

Banned
The new Launcher will be a bit prettier, will show release notes and other news, will send login requests over https (finally), and will ask if the user wants to update to the latest version or not. In the future, we’ll add support for playing the previous installed version (after warning the player that there might be unexpected bugs) and the ability to choose what work directly to save the level files, but that’s not coming in this version.
I think I sent Notch two emails about that alone, so I guess everyone bugging him paid off. :D

They're also working on a new level format, and I imagine that may break a ton of utilities and mods for a while.

Oh, and:
We’ve got a meeting planned for tomorrow with some community members to discuss how to best implement the modding.
Yay!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jasoco said:
Ran into the "tile 999" bug yesterday while digging a tunnel. Where the game freaks out and refuses to mine anything in front of you if its tile is at 999 X or Z. It's weird. Had to do a little manipulating around to finally get it to hit the tile.

I also noticed it updated. But I don't see any changes and the version number didn't change either. And my squids are STILL MISSING. Do squids exist anywhere anymore? I haven't seen one since the 13th!
there's a group on the gaf server just past my shop.

ZZMitch

greenjerk said:
I do on occasion, just make sure you keep it ventilated or the fans will kick in. You running Snow Leopard or regular Leopard? I'm just getting ready to upgrade my Macbook Pro...

*oops, sorry for the dp!

I don't own a Macbook Pro actually, I was thinking about getting one when the updates come out for when I start college though. It is a long way off obviously, it was just something on my mind. Because any lap top I bring to college must run Minecraft well or I am going to have to lug up my gaming PC!

Wool

Jasoco said:

I see squids pretty regularly, but I think it has to be fairly deep body of water. The ink sacks aren't even that useful IMO. I see black/grey/light grey sheep pretty often too.

What I don't see ever are those new birch trees. Maybe I am just in the wrong biome though.

Jasoco

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Yeah, I have never seen colored sheep or squid, dunno whats up.
Are you playing single-player or online?

Also, I meant Squid. I see colored sheep on single all the time. But I never see squid at all anymore ANYWHERE AT ALL.

ZZMitch

Jasoco said:
Are you playing single-player or online?

Also, I meant Squid. I see colored sheep on single all the time. But I never see squid at all anymore ANYWHERE AT ALL.

Single player, I haven't gone out and looked for sheep specifically though, so maybe I just missed them. I have searched for squid though, spent a while swimming and saw nothing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom