• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
SpinningFrog said:
Gotta love not being able to connect to Minecraft.net.
They're upgrading the server(s) (there is a blog post about it). In the meantime, if worst comes to worst, you should be able to unplug your network cable or disable your network card and launch Minecraft. It should immediately ask you if you want to play offline, so you don't have to wait for the normal timeout or whatever.

Oreoleo

I just logged in no problem. It's been taking a couple extra seconds/a second try to connect lately but I haven't not been able to yet.

Unicorn

I was able to host a local gamme with my friend over using the same router... but I can't seem to do it over the 'net. Get something in the server box saying the port is in use. Put my internet ip in the server.properties, but that's what gives me the message. Where blank is local.

Wat do?

Blizzard said:
They're upgrading the server(s) (there is a blog post about it). In the meantime, if worst comes to worst, you should be able to unplug your network cable or disable your network card and launch Minecraft. It should immediately ask you if you want to play offline, so you don't have to wait for the normal timeout or whatever.

Oh, I know why I can't connect. Unplugging my router and such is nice and all but that wont help me when I want to play with my friend on his server.

todahawk

ZZMitch said:
I don't own a Macbook Pro actually, I was thinking about getting one when the updates come out for when I start college though. It is a long way off obviously, it was just something on my mind. Because any lap top I bring to college must run Minecraft well or I am going to have to lug up my gaming PC!

gotcha, should've clarified for ya. fwiw my macbook pro is 2+ years old, only 2gb of ram but if I have it on my desk and not laying in bed, it runs fine and the fan doesn't kick in. It struggles a bit with anything but normal draw distances on the gaf server though, lots of huge structures to render.

ACE 1991

My friends and I made a large mineshaft and somehow a chicken found it's way in, and promptly decided to hang out in a dugout cube.

16ga5fr.jpg

Dude was chilling so hard.

Jasoco

Banned
I haven't seen a single squid in either my current world or any other worlds I create to look for them. What gives!? I've even tweeted to both @notch and @jeb_ about it. None of them ever reply to me. But they reply to others about less important things. It's like I don't actually exist. And if I were to say "Please answer!" it makes me look like an impatient jackass.

*sigh*

I don't even want the dye. I just want something living in my water instead of stupid farm animals taking a swim. And I really liked the animation they did when they swam. :(

Edit: Oh, for the love of. What the hell? Just before I could send them a tweet about it again, I loaded up my oldest world. Pre-Halloween, and there's half a dozen in the bay. Then the next world and there's a bunch in a shallow pool. Then my current working world and there's none! But there's a bunch of farm animals. So I am killing them all to see if maybe the game reached the Mob limit. Since it seems to save Mob locations when you travel through portals for some reason. DIE YOU PIGS AND COWS AND SHEEP AND CHICKENS!!!

Inkwell

Banned
I had a squid appear in the little farm at my place on the server (water between my wheat). Artist dubbed him Inky. He was my pet... Until I accidentally punched him to death when I was trying to farm... :(

Jasoco

Banned
It seems the E: ?/?? value in the F3 debug screen refers to how many Mobs there are loaded. I've killed them all, but the game keeps spawning more cows. Only cows now. No squid! Why the fuck won't it spawn any squid? Ugh. I'm going to take a walk for a long distance and force it to unload the world and reload it.

Edit: No! Not a single squid will spawn in my world! Anywhere!

r1chard

ACE 1991 said:
My friends and I made a large mineshaft and somehow a chicken found it's way in, and promptly decided to hang out in a dugout cube.
Follow the chicken. It knows where the good stuff is.

r1chard

r1chard said:
Getting a lot of crashes at the moment - basically unplayable. Just running around and jumping seems to trigger it :-(
I take it back: it crashes even if I just stand around doing nothing. I get maybe 10-30 seconds of play time.

Jasoco

Banned
Success! They have finally spawned! In the bay next to my "what used to be a forest until the lava burned it down and turned it into an empty field with flaming floating logs, many of which are too high up to reach so I'll have to bring some ladders", there are a bunch swimming about. Joyous day! Unfortunately it's night or I'd take a screenshot.

thespot84

Unicorn said:
I was able to host a local gamme with my friend over using the same router... but I can't seem to do it over the 'net. Get something in the server box saying the port is in use. Put my internet ip in the server.properties, but that's what gives me the message. Where blank is local.

Wat do?

Don't use your outside IP in the server Props, try your internal IP (192.168...). Are you using a wrapper or no?

Unicorn

thespot84 said:
Don't use your outside IP in the server Props, try your internal IP (192.168...). Are you using a wrapper or no?
No wrapper. Gotta look into them I guess. how would mods work on the server? Would anyone connecting need them or does the server provide it?

Garcia

Unable to log into GAF's server... Is this due to the problems coming from minecraft.net ?

I've tried plenty of times today with no success.

Vlad

Garcia said:
Unable to log into GAF's server... Is this due to the problems coming from minecraft.net ?

I've tried plenty of times today with no success.

It's a little slow, but it's up. I'm on it right now, actually.

ZZMitch

greenjerk said:
gotcha, should've clarified for ya. fwiw my macbook pro is 2+ years old, only 2gb of ram but if I have it on my desk and not laying in bed, it runs fine and the fan doesn't kick in. It struggles a bit with anything but normal draw distances on the gaf server though, lots of huge structures to render.

Thanks, so I am guessing if I get the newest Macbook I would be able to run it with the highest draw distance etc? I don't know how big Macbook Pro updates are graphically. I can't get into Minecraft if it is foggy, when i can't see the sky everything seems lame to me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cyrillus said:
This may have been posted in the thread already, but the above video reminded me of a video Youtube recommended I watch the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9SPywEGm4

I approve of their suggestion...I wow'ed.

Ha, although in general I'm not a big fan of the meme and think it's played out, I will admit that the climax of that video (the last couple seconds) made me lol.

Enco

Servers have been down and/or extremely sucky for a while now.

Seriously hope this gets sorted out quickly and the new servers are much MUCH better.

thespot84

server was running as of lst night. If you can't connect to minecraft.net then you can't connect to the server, as must be authenticated...

EDIT: I took the server offline: no one could connect because of an authentication server issue (Notch's). I'll follow's notches twitter and reup when it's fixed.

Vlad

thespot84 said:
server was running as of lst night. If you can't connect to minecraft.net then you can't connect to the server, as must be authenticated...

EDIT: I took the server offline: no one could connect because of an authentication server issue (Notch's). I'll follow's notches twitter and reup when it's fixed.

Actually, Inkwell, Matt, and myself were on right before the authentication server went down a few minutes ago, so it is possible. Sometimes it takes a few tries to connect, though.

Vlad

JodyAnthony said:
anyone else get kind of bored with sp after playing a bunch of mp? Not that I don't still like sp of course.

Yup.

While SP still has a few upsides (monsters that work properly, etc), I just can't bring myself to put in any time to it any more. The world just feels so empty without all this stuff that other people built floating around in it.

Twig

Banned
I refuse to play multiplayer until hell works.

I also refuse to play Minecraft without multiplayer.

Oh, what a predicament I'm in!

Unless he fixed that yet.

Garcia

Vlad said:
Yup.

While SP still has a few upsides (monsters that work properly, etc), I just can't bring myself to put in any time to it any more. The world just feels so empty without all this stuff that other people built floating around in it.

Same here.... SP is really cool with mods and everything but... it's much better to know someone's gonna eventually visit or gaze at your crazy constructions or gizmos.

GDJustin

I'm the opposite... I'm too OCD to enjoy MP, really. In SP it is a relief to know I have 100% control over... everything. In MP I've had plans for a space, only to log on and see that someone used it for something (in my opinion) stupid.

I can totally see MP being great in a small-scale context. If you and 2-3 buddies share a vision for a space and can worth together to build Minas Tirith (or whatever) then awesome. But something like the GAF server, with lots of hustle and bustle, people coming and going... it isn't for me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
GDJustin said:
I'm the opposite... I'm too OCD to enjoy MP, really. In SP it is a relief to know I have 100% control over... everything. In MP I've had plans for a space, only to log on and see that someone used it for something (in my opinion) stupid.

I can totally see MP being great in a small-scale context. If you and 2-3 buddies share a vision for a space and can worth together to build Minas Tirith (or whatever) then awesome. But something like the GAF server, with lots of hustle and bustle, people coming and going... it isn't for me.

Mark it with a sign? That's what I do on my MP server. As long as you don't go wild marking a bunch of spaces, mark someplace and then take forever to build anything, people don't really care.

Vlad

Monroeski said:
Mark it with a sign? That's what I do on my MP server. As long as you don't go wild marking a bunch of spaces, mark someplace and then take forever to build anything, people don't really care.

Exactly. I've done that (and seen it done) several times, and I've never heard of anybody violating the sanctity of the The Sign.

Of course, the downside is when someone marks off an area and then disappears or does nothing with it...

Atomski

Twig said:
I refuse to play multiplayer until hell works.

I also refuse to play Minecraft without multiplayer.

Oh, what a predicament I'm in!

Unless he fixed that yet.

Man at this point I'd rather hell just be taken out and make portals connect in the normal world.

Hell is completely useless unless you want to hear screams and die a horrible death.

Wool

JodyAnthony said:
anyone else get kind of bored with sp after playing a bunch of mp? Not that I don't still like sp of course.

I'm kind of the opposite. Without the enemy mobs, there is not much to do besides build in mp, and I don't really like building stuff that much. I spend almost all of my time in the game either mining or fighting mobs.

GDJustin

It's not about being able to mark a space as "mine." It's about playing a TOOOON of Minecraft before MP was even implemented, and every single one of those hours was spent in a world that was mine and mine alone.

Minecraft became a personal thing for me.

If I roll a new world, every single coal, every block, every tree, was mine.

I totally think spelunking with a few buds and then using the iron we gathered to build a roller coaster would be sweet. Scenarios like that still feel "personal."

But a perpetual world with lots of people logging on and off doesn't appeal to me.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the mobs & danger aspect are pretty critical. I played on peaceful for a long time when the difficulty was bugged, and I only just now started playing with mobs on again. It was fun to actually have to find a safe place that first night, and it was fun spending the 2nd day expanding that "tamed zone."

Twig

Banned
Atomski said:
Man at this point I'd rather hell just be taken out and make portals connect in the normal world.

Hell is completely useless unless you want to hear screams and die a horrible death.
That's boring. You're boring!

notsol337

marked forever
GDJustin said:
It's not about being able to mark a space as "mine." It's about playing a TOOOON of Minecraft before MP was even implemented, and every single one of those hours was spent in a world that was mine and mine alone.

Minecraft became a personal thing for me.

If I roll a new world, every single coal, every block, every tree, was mine.

I totally think spelunking with a few buds and then using the iron we gathered to build a roller coaster would be sweet. Scenarios like that still feel "personal."

But a perpetual world with lots of people logging on and off doesn't appeal to me.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the mobs & danger aspect are pretty critical. I played on peaceful for a long time when the difficulty was bugged, and I only just now started playing with mobs on again. It was fun to actually have to find a safe place that first night, and it was fun spending the 2nd day expanding that "tamed zone."

Creepers hurt just as much in multiplayer, you know...

ZZMitch

notsol337 said:
No idea. I thought you were saying "Every server sucks because no mobs" and I think I misinterpreted your post!

My bad!

Well it wasn't my post :p

But the only way I could play Minecraft multiplayer would be with Gaffers or IRL friends.

notsol337

marked forever
... oh god I fail entirely.

That being said, hell is NOT boring! It's got pigmen and giant floaty deathballs. Lava castle out of cobbles whilst the pigmen peasants outside bow to me.

Here's what I've been working on with my friend on his server.

This is a view from the back, with my rail system.
8yfbd5.png

This is a view of the front area. I love my cactus walls.
qqy2vs.png

The inside portion, it also has 6 basement levels.
2ib0ozd.png

Here is the upstairs. Nice and roomy, complete with water walls.
4k9xc0.png

Jasoco

Banned
notsol337 said:
... oh god I fail entirely.

That being said, hell is NOT boring! It's got pigmen and giant floaty deathballs. Lava castle out of cobbles whilst the pigmen peasants outside bow to me.
I wish the Pigmen still showed up in Peaceful. Since they're passive, I don't see why not. (Though they do freak out. Maybe he could gimp the Peaceful ones to only hit back once like the Squid.)

I just want someone to keep me company when I'm walking through my Nether Highways.

Jasoco

Banned
I wish Easy worked this way:

Enemies would only show up at night
No enemies spawn in caves (Unless in a Dungeon)
Creepers don't spawn as much and become benign during the day
The Nether would be less dangerous unless you get too close to a Ghast which would only attack if you come within 10 meters

I would play with enemies on if this were how Easy worked. I want to play the game. I want to build, but I'd also like to have challenge, but I don't want my fun to be ruined. I spend most of my time in caves. I've played on a server with enemies. It's a pain in the ass to mine with enemies turned on when all I want to do is build an empire.

Until then, I will probably play on Peaceful forever.

I mean he has two other difficulties to make the game super hard. Let easy be a slight step up from Peaceful. Something for people who are ready to leave the comfort of not dying every night to have a little bit of a challenge without being overwhelmed.

Plus it would allow me to actually find some damn bones in my game! And gunpowder without having to hunt for a dungeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom