• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

Unicorn said:
I always have issues with port forwarding, it seems.

port.png

Using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

it's saying that the port 25565 is Closed.

What am I doing wrong here?
Windows I presume?

Type 'cmd' into the start menu search area and in the new window that pops up type 'ipconfig /all' to make sure your PC's local IP is actually 192.168.1.107. It could have changed if you rebooted or something.

thespot84

animlboogy said:
Quoted for the new page. Join up for a lower-pop, private SMP experience, if you're interested.

Mobs lag gafland like crazy, that's why they're off. What effect do they have on your server? What hardware are you running?

Jasoco

Banned
thespot84 said:
Yeah we've tried a few times and every time it brings the server to a crawl.
I was there! I saw it with my own eyes. Horrible lag. Like 4-5 seconds between action and response for almost everything.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Jasoco said:
I wish Easy worked this way:

Enemies would only show up at night
No enemies spawn in caves (Unless in a Dungeon)
Creepers don't spawn as much and become benign during the day
The Nether would be less dangerous unless you get too close to a Ghast which would only attack if you come within 10 meters

I would play with enemies on if this were how Easy worked. I want to play the game. I want to build, but I'd also like to have challenge, but I don't want my fun to be ruined. I spend most of my time in caves. I've played on a server with enemies. It's a pain in the ass to mine with enemies turned on when all I want to do is build an empire.

Until then, I will probably play on Peaceful forever.

I mean he has two other difficulties to make the game super hard. Let easy be a slight step up from Peaceful. Something for people who are ready to leave the comfort of not dying every night to have a little bit of a challenge without being overwhelmed.

Plus it would allow me to actually find some damn bones in my game! And gunpowder without having to hunt for a dungeon.

Yeah, I largely agree. I like having enemies on because it gives my constructions and torches purpose. But I prefer exploring/spelunking without enemies.

I finally purchased (the beta?) last weekend and man-oh-man do I love this game. Digging super deep tunnels and building mega forts above & below ground are probably my favorite activities.

I'll have to give multiplayer a try this weekend if I'm not insanely busy with school work.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh for the love of Pete. I just discovered you can reclaim a block of Sandstone if you use a pickaxe. I was under the impression you didn't get them back so I was using my hand! Thank GOD.

Still think they're way too costly. 4 blocks of sand for one block of sandstone. I think it should give you 2 or 4 blocks. Not just 1. That's stupid. Even stairs give you a 1:2 ratio. Sandstone gives 1:4. Personally I think the ratios of certain things are way too low.

I just wish he would fix it so if I break a stairway I get a stairway back. Instead of a block of cobblestone or wood.

And if you break a double-stacked half-step, you should get two half-steps back. Not just one.

And there should be a way to build a half-step out of wood. Unfortunately the pattern would currently be the same as a wood pressure plate. I'd gladly change the pressure plate pattern to get a wood half-step option.

Also, I wish fences would attach themselves to the nearest blocks instead of standing alone with a gap between the pole and the wall.

Also, lightstone is horribly out of ratio too. 1:9 and you only gain one back if you break it. Lightstone should work this way: Use 4 piles to make one block. But when you break it, you get 4 back. 4 in the same pattern as a sandstone block or a workbench.

Also, we should be able to create something out of gravel too. Like another stackable block like sandstone. Pavement? Something like that. Something else I can use for building.

Basically, nothing should be lost because you made a mistake. I think you should also be able to reclaim glass. Everything should be recoverable if you either accidentally place it in the wrong place or want to move it. You shouldn't lose anything because you slipped. The game is about fun. But it's not fun if you are spending too much and getting too little. I used to have a shitload of sand. Now I have none and keep having to dig up beaches to finish building my village. Each house uses about 60 wooden steps, 12 wood logs, 32 wood blocks, 46 cobblestone, 3 stone steps, 11 half steps, 110 sandstone blocks, 6 torches, three fences, one door, a dozen glass blocks and a Netherrack lit on fire. Not counting furniture. And they all take a heck of a long time to build. And each one is slightly different. Bigger, smaller, a couple are two stories with two fireplaces and each one needs to be furnished. I've got it down to a science now!
2a8rrfd.jpg

If anyone really wants to know my method for building a nice house like the above, I could probably post some plans and methods. You can also substitute bricks for sandstone. My texture pack let me use sand bricks instead of just stone. I have a lot of clay, so I could probably build a few out of that too but it's too costly and sand is everywhere. Plus they look nice.

Dear Notch; We need more Stair types to use as roofing materials. Wood and stone are becoming tiresome.

Garcia

Oh wow... I just lost a huge ammount of resources on my SSP map after fooling around the intersection of a waterfall and a lavafall. I was positive I wouldn't die since if I caught fire the water would immediately put it out. Well, don't know what went wrong but the thing is I got stuck in between some blocks and the lava sucked my life away.

The result? I lost around 4x64 coal, 1 ultimate fist (worth 7 diamonds), a diamond pickaxe, and several other materials that weren't as important as those.

Lesson learned.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Atomski said:
But hell is boring. Theres just no reason to go there outside of the glowing gold block.

Fast travel in the main world is the big reason for hell. I always set up tunnels and gates in hell to quickly travel to faraway places.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I just got through the dreaded Authentication wall!

kennah

So... let's say you build a really long staircase from sealevel to adminium.

No matter how good an idea you think it is at the time.

A "lava slinky" is a bad idea.

webrunner

kennah said:
So... let's say you build a really long staircase from sealevel to adminium.

No matter how good an idea you think it is at the time.

A "lava slinky" is a bad idea.

If you build glass 'walls' and build it over water so you can jump off at the top... I can see that working.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mengy said:
Fast travel in the main world is the big reason for hell. I always set up tunnels and gates in hell to quickly travel to faraway places.
yep, you grow to appreciate hell when your tunnels start getting measured in kilometers. -.-
not enough iron for that railway...

webrunner said:
If you build glass 'walls' and build it over water so you can jump off at the top... I can see that working.
i dont think he built the walls. :p

webrunner

Pandaman said:
yep, you grow to appreciate hell when your tunnels start getting measured in kilometers. -.-
not enough iron for that railway...

Really, minecart systems are always so.. difficult to get working properly in any sort of automated, propelled fashion. He really needs to fix powered minecarts and add redstone cart booster blocks, as well as a supported way for minecart-on-pressure-plate systems to work. Even if you can build the railway the actual logistics of making it a useable railway system are maddeningly twisted and glitchy. The only way to make a useful minecart is to depend on a bug for christsakes.

Pandaman said:
i dont think he built the walls. :p

What flows down stair- OH MY GOD IT"S GOING OVER THE SIDE

I wish you could set safe zones in worlds. Like build a special fence, and as long as the fence is complete all the way around, no enemy mobs would appear in the area, yet they would still appear outside. I hate building a building just to have a creeper come and blow a hole in the wall. I know it's part of the game and everything, but still kinda sucks.

I've just been thinking of doing it myself in my new world. Once I enter an area that I want to be a safe zone (like a town with a wall around it), I'll set it to peaceful.

webrunner

JodyAnthony said:
I wish you could set safe zones in worlds. Like build a special fence, and as long as the fence is complete all the way around, no enemy mobs would appear in the area, yet they would still appear outside. I hate building a building just to have a creeper come and blow a hole in the wall. I know it's part of the game and everything, but still kinda sucks.

I've just been thinking of doing it myself in my new world. Once I enter an area that I want to be a safe zone (like a town with a wall around it), I'll set it to peaceful.

Maybe there should be an object which creates a monster-spawn-free zone bigger than a torch that doesnt give light? Until then we have to just light the inside of our walls.

thespot84

JodyAnthony said:

Well mobs don't spawn in well lit areas, so building a fence with the proper lighting should accomplish what you want.

webrunner

pix said:
Anyone else having problems accessing minecraft.net or logging in? It's been 2 days since I have been able to :(

Everyone. They've been working on the servers the last few days. They're currently migrating to a cluster network.

ZZMitch

JodyAnthony said:

Lots of torches baby! :p

Atomski

Mengy said:

Ive tried this but my portals have spawned in the most awkward areas ever. I just end up giving up on connecting them cause its such a hassle to reach.

Unicorn

Orellio said:
Windows I presume?

Type 'cmd' into the start menu search area and in the new window that pops up type 'ipconfig /all' to make sure your PC's local IP is actually 192.168.1.107. It could have changed if you rebooted or something.
yeah, I've made sure. Countless times. And for your sake, I just checked again.

r1chard

Atomski said:
Just got an update, I dont see any info so I am guessing its bug fixes.
Looks like it's fixed the constant crashing I was experiencing.

Edit: judging from a very quick play ... would need to play longer to confirm. And given webrunner's followup I guess it might not be fixed :-(

webrunner

Just a heads up to people, don't just follow @notch, follow @mollstam @jeb_ @kappische @carmanneh and @jahkob for full Mojang updates.

Mollstam is apparently in charge of server stuff so he's the one tweeting about that atm.

Notch is working on a new launcher.

Jasoco

Banned
webrunner said:
There wasn't actually an update, it's just a side effect of the server migration, according to twitter.
Ah. Makes sense. I was just about to ask. It did it twice in two days but never changed the version number so I assumed it just redownloaded what it already had.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
thespot84 said:
Like 'creeper musk' or something you could spray and they'd stay away...
but wouldnt that lead to alpha creepers showing up looking to muscle you out of your territory? sure you could kill the alpha creeper and use his musk, but it'll just keep snowballing from there.

kennah

Pandaman said:
but wouldnt that lead to alpha creepers showing up looking to muscle you out of your territory? sure you could kill the alpha creeper and use his musk, but it'll just keep snowballing from there.
Aaaand cue another night of nightmares.

Atomski

I hate when I find a crazy maze of caves and next thing I know I am going deeper and deeper fighting off hordes of mods. Then I turn around and think.. oh gawd I am lost and I have next to no wood to make more tools.

Garcia

Atomski said:
I hate when I find a crazy maze of caves and next thing I know I am going deeper and deeper fighting off hordes of mods. Then I turn around and think.. oh gawd I am lost and I have next to no wood to make more tools.

In thos cases always remember to dig up, straight to liberty !

webrunner

Atomski said:

Well look, your path out should be clear of monsters since it'd be full of torches.

Just keep looking, if you find an unlit passageway don't go that way. If you want, leave a breadcrumb of cobblestone so you don't get lost on the way out.

Garcia

I just discovered this mod, and it's a pitty that it apparently conflicts with one of the mods I have installed right now. I will try to reinstall them later on just to check it out.

ChefCraft

Why hello there!

Sick and tired of eating the same old food over and over again?
Wish you had something sweet to nibble on?
Look no further!

CheffCraft adds 46 new items to the game out of which, 24 are edible and the rest are used to craft these new foods and will be used for future new food additions.

This mod also changes the bread recipe, no longer crafting baked bread out of unrefined wheat!

It adds ice cream, donuts, drinks, stews and plenty other goodies to cook :)

Here are all the recipes in the mod

afsfsasaf.jpg

Atomski

Someone needs to make a mod so cooked porkchops stack. I will bring like 4 with me but ugh it takes up so much bag space.

Well look, your path out should be clear of monsters since it'd be full of torches.

Just keep looking, if you find an unlit passageway don't go that way. If you want, leave a breadcrumb of cobblestone so you don't get lost on the way out.

Yeah I know what I need to do but I always get lazy and keep venturing farther in. :/

Garcia

Atomski said:
Someone needs to make a mod so cooked porkchops stack. I will bring like 4 with me but ugh it takes up so much bag space.

It exists already and it is wonderful.

More Stackables Beta 1.2_01

This mod makes food stackable up to 16 in stack, saddles, doors, and signs up to 8 in a stack, minecarts and boats up to 4 in a stack. When stacked, food and buckets are unusable, however, everything else is. This is great for storage and for using workbenches, chests, or furnaces, as you no longer will dump the bucket or consume your food! Requires ModLoader Beta 1.2_01.

Here's the creator's thread.

It's stupid how Notch hasn't modified food stacking already. You tell me you can carry 64 chunks of stone but for some magical reason you're not able to stack porkchops. Wow.

Vlad

Garcia said:
It exists already and it is wonderful.

It's stupid how Notch hasn't modified food stacking already. You tell me you can carry 64 chunks of stone but for some magical reason you're not able to stack porkchops. Wow.

Just guessing here, but I'm thinking it's a balance issue. Right now the non-stackability of healing items means that you have to really consider how much space they take up when packing for a mining expidition. You need to have tools, torches, extra wood, maybe a bucket of water, and enough extra space to actually store the ores you'll be mining. Having to balance healing items with that provides a little extra strategy. Being able to stack them might minimize that a bit.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Garcia said:

It's intentional...

Jasoco

Banned
Garcia said:
In thos cases always remember to dig up, straight to liberty !
Just like you never dig straight down, you NEVER dig straight UP! You have just as much chance of running into gravel, sand or water as you do lava.

Dig in a spiral stair pattern. Removing 3 blocks at a time one block above the previous one. Spiral so that you stay in the same general area (In case you know you're not under water) and stairs so you have reaction time to quickly switch to dirt or stone to fill in any lava holes you might come to. Since lava is pretty slow and you'd have to wait for it to flow into the next block before it flows into your block you have plenty of time to press a number and set a block in the hole and pick a different direction to dig.

My spirals are normally 3x3 clockwise. Like how castle towers are built.

I used to just dig straight stairs until I hit an ocean once. That's when I learned to stay in the same area. Fortunately, if you do hit water, simply dig more blocks above you and swim to the surface if you don't care how the cave looks behind you. Or just fill the hole back in while fighting the current and be glad water isn't as deadly as lava.

pix

Is SMP working for anyone? Can anyone connect to another server? I cant and either can my friend, just wondering if we are doing anything wrong.

A friend and I have problems connecting to my own server, we just get some timeout errors and such but after trying many times we might get lucky and connect. So there might be some problems with the multiplayer right now.

Garcia

Jasoco said:
Just like you never dig straight down, you NEVER dig straight UP! You have just as much chance of running into gravel, sand or water as you do lava.

Dig in a spiral stair pattern. Removing 3 blocks at a time one block above the previous one. Spiral so that you stay in the same general area (In case you know you're not under water) and stairs so you have reaction time to quickly switch to dirt or stone to fill in any lava holes you might come to. Since lava is pretty slow and you'd have to wait for it to flow into the next block before it flows into your block you have plenty of time to press a number and set a block in the hole and pick a different direction to dig.

My spirals are normally 3x3 clockwise. Like how castle towers are built.

I used to just dig straight stairs until I hit an ocean once. That's when I learned to stay in the same area. Fortunately, if you do hit water, simply dig more blocks above you and swim to the surface if you don't care how the cave looks behind you. Or just fill the hole back in while fighting the current and be glad water isn't as deadly as lava.

There's a faster way to do it ! Risk free with a 100% success rate.

You dig straight up using the sneaky mode. Instead of diggin one block upwards you dig a rectangle (2 blocks), straight upwards. Basically you start putting some blocks beneath you, and when you can't put anymore, look straight up and instead of hitting the block right above you, go for one besides it. If you're safe to go, then sneak to that hole until you are able to see the hole straight up but not completely since you'll be needing all the space you can to sneak back to safety in case you spot lava, water, sand or gravel. Then dig 3 more times as quickly as possible and put a torch at the top. Now sneak all the way out until you can see the 4 blocks standing right above you. If all of them are safe to dig then do so. Dig 3 blocks up, and leave the 4th one untouched until you put a block besides the one you're standing on, that way you can dig that 4th one without any risks of gravel/sand crushing you to death. If you spot water or lave quickly cover thet hole and move 10 block away, any direction and keep diggin' up.

That's how I do it and it's been really helpful.

webrunner

Garcia said:
There's a faster way to do it ! Risk free with a 100% success rate.

You dig straight up using the sneaky mode. Instead of diggin one block upwards you dig a rectangle (2 blocks), straight upwards. Basically what you start putting some blocks beneath you, and when you can put anymore, look straight up and instead of hitting the block right above you, go for one besides it. If you're safe to go, then sneak to that hole until you are able to see the hole straight up but not completely since you'll be needing all the space you can to sneak back to safety in case you spot lava, water, sand or gravel. Then dig 3 more times as quickly as possible and put a torch at the top. Now sneak all the way out until you can see the 4 blocks standing right above you. If all of them are safe to dig then do so. Dig 3 blocks up, and leave the 4th one untouched until you put a block besides the one you're standing on, that way you can dig that 4th one without any risks of gravel/sand crushing you to death. If you spot water or lave quickly cover thet hole and move 10 block away, any direction and keep diggin' up.

That's how I do it and it's been really helpful.

Here's how I do it:

Water, gravel, and sand, you can often get safe from even if they fall on you.

Lava, the trick is this: dig one square DOWN first. then stand outside of the hole and dig up above the hole. If something falls into the hole it won't spill into the cave you're in because lava/water don't 'fill' spaces, they just go sideways towards the nearest hole.

Actually since lava is so slow anywya, you can dig straight up where you're standing, and step back if you see lava. It'll fall into the hole because liquids always go towards the closest hole.

Hold on, let msee if i can make this a bit more obvious:

[][]L[][]
[][]L[][]
.....L.. []
.....L L []
[][][]L[]
[][][][][]

The lava will ALWAYs go into the hole and stop, and NEVER go back into the cave if there's a hole for it to go in nearby.

So digging up is quite safe if you understand the fluid mechanics in the game.

Garcia

Vlad said:
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking it's a balance issue. Right now the non-stackability of healing items means that you have to really consider how much space they take up when packing for a mining expidition. You need to have tools, torches, extra wood, maybe a bucket of water, and enough extra space to actually store the ores you'll be mining. Having to balance healing items with that provides a little extra strategy. Being able to stack them might minimize that a bit.

GDJustin said:
It's intentional...

Even if it is intentional it doesn't add an extra layer of depth to the system as it brings frustration and annoyance after you've spent let's say, 3+ hours on a single cave trip and have accumulated huge ammounts of resources. It's just stupid how you have to open up the menu and drop every extra dirt or cobblestone by the tons and still your porckchops will be taking a lot of space in your bag.

webrunner said:
The lava will ALWAYs go into the hole and stop, and NEVER go back into the cave if there's a hole for it to go in nearby.

So digging up is quite safe if you understand the fluid mechanics in the game.

Great ! :) I didn't know lava works that way. Will keep that in mind from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom