• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Garcia said:
Even if it is intentional it doesn't add an extra layer of depth to the system as it brings frustration and annoyance after you've spent let's say, 3+ hours on a single cave trip and have accumulated huge ammounts of resources. It's just stupid how you have to open up the menu and drop every extra dirt or cobblestone by the tons and still your porckchops will be taking a lot of space in your bag.

It doesn't bring depth because it isn't supposed to bring depth. It's there for balance. Which it provides.

1) If food stacked game difficulty would be trivial. Hotkey it, and you could spam heal over and over. Even surviving in lava for minutes.

2) It encourages players to take the most potent food possible. It ensures they cook their meat and fish, as they're "supposed" to. If food stacked people would just take tons of uncooked porkchops. Now, if you're headed into a deep cave, you're more likely to take a few cakes.

Whenever I'm spelunking, I just use a lot of chests. I place one right at the entrance, and drop the bulk of my food and extra wood in it, keeping just a bit with me. When I keep deeper in, I'll set up a little "checkpoint" with another furnace and chest, and dump off resources there.

Anything in a chest is safe. Use them when mining.

Jasoco

Banned
It's still stupid as is the limit on signs. Eventually you'll run out anyway. Just let us stack our food!

Signs.. which take up less space than a block of anything, including fences, but can only be one per tile. Why?

And food on easy is just useless waste, but my OCD won't let me just throw it away.

webrunner

Jasoco said:
It's still stupid as is the limit on signs. Eventually you'll run out anyway. Just let us stack our food!

Signs.. which take up less space than a block of anything, including fences, but can only be one per tile. Why?

And food on easy is just useless waste, but my OCD won't let me just throw it away.

Signs per tile is probably a limitation of the way they're implemented or to prevent them from clipping each other.

I do think you should be able to stack things like doors though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
JodyAnthony said:
I wish you could set safe zones in worlds. Like build a special fence, and as long as the fence is complete all the way around, no enemy mobs would appear in the area, yet they would still appear outside. I hate building a building just to have a creeper come and blow a hole in the wall. I know it's part of the game and everything, but still kinda sucks.

I've just been thinking of doing it myself in my new world. Once I enter an area that I want to be a safe zone (like a town with a wall around it), I'll set it to peaceful.
Couldn't you do just that with a regular wooden fence and a door? Mobs can't jump the fence, so as long as it's well lit inside the fence line so they don't spawn there it should be perfectly safe.

Leunam

So do I understand this right? Water bottoms out several levels before adminium? I wonder how much work it would take to create a large enough cavern that reaches the absolute bottom and flood it with a body of water above.

Wool

webrunner said:
Here's how I do it:

Water, gravel, and sand, you can often get safe from even if they fall on you.

Lava, the trick is this: dig one square DOWN first. then stand outside of the hole and dig up above the hole. If something falls into the hole it won't spill into the cave you're in because lava/water don't 'fill' spaces, they just go sideways towards the nearest hole.

Actually since lava is so slow anywya, you can dig straight up where you're standing, and step back if you see lava. It'll fall into the hole because liquids always go towards the closest hole.

Hold on, let msee if i can make this a bit more obvious:

[][]L[][]
[][]L[][]
.....L.. []
.....L L []
[][][]L[]
[][][][][]

The lava will ALWAYs go into the hole and stop, and NEVER go back into the cave if there's a hole for it to go in nearby.

So digging up is quite safe if you understand the fluid mechanics in the game.

I always just dig straight up, and place ladders every other block as I go. If you run into sand/gravel/water/lava, it will get stopped by the highest up ladder currently placed. It only takes one slot in your inventory to have 64 ladders and makes a pretty quick and safe way to back above ground.

webrunner

From the server guy:
@mollstam
Tobias Mollstam
Why Amazon ELB? WHY? Minecraft.net is currently down.

Apparently their new load-balanced server from Amazon borked.

Oh, and don't press shift-f2
@notch
Markus Persson
I just realized shift+F2 will generate an almost 2 gb large screenshot in 1.2_02. Half-finished huge screenshot test code.

Enco

Server still messed up? Not cool.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my home (and brothers who I play with on my own server).

It was built over several days. A little bit each time. A few issues (e.g. creeper blowing up old entrance) but they were overcome.

chickendeath.png

My brother decided to keep a pet chicken which soon died in our newly made incinerator.

We overcame it by pushing another chicken in our home and fencing it in. Sadly, that too died (by punching - trying to stop it from escaping), but not before it laid an egg which has hatched into a nice chicken, safe in our home*.

inside2.png

outside.png

The view outside our home.

And our cool watchtower/safety zone.

outside2.png

Our entrance (which attracts a lot of animals)..

entranceq.png

Awesome game. Just came back from a long expedition in a mine which took us to bedrock. Lasted a few days as we got trapped in by monsters. Managed to get some redstone ore to make a compass for me and my brother and we also got a load of coal and iron. Ran into gold but didn't realise an iron pick was needed for it...

*The bit of sand is to indicate an entrance to a soon to be railway system. It's currently just a safety zone in case things go horribly wrong.

Atomski

JodyAnthony said:
I built a greenhouse to keep mobs from destroying my wheat. Left the area. Came back, and the greenhouse had spawned inside of it 3 sheep and 2 pigs.

Yeah I did this the other day. No idea how to avoid them from spawning inside :/.

Jasoco

Banned
This game needs flags. Not for capture the flag, but for decoration. They could be made with three sticks and four pieces of wool. Maybe the pattern and colors of the wool could define what's on the flag, or Mojang could implement a way to use a user defined image for its design so you could have your own country logo.

They'd be three tiles tall and would remain in place if the block under them is removed (Like fences) or if placed on a wall, they'd come out at a 45º angle and hang down.

They could have them sway like wind was blowing.

Their pole would look exactly like a fence pole as if you placed it alone so you could place it on top of a stack of fences for a longer flag pole. Maybe there could be different sizes. I dunno.

Speaking of which, I wish I could place torches on top of fences. And I wish fences attached themselves to adjacent walls instead of standing alone with half a meter between them and the wall. And it'd be nice to be able to stack them without having to use the "dirt" method of placing them on a pile of dirt and removing it.

ZZMitch

Those BlueXeros videos are amazing.

I was just watching their trip through some puzzle-like custom map. I was practically in tears the whole time!

Jasoco

Banned
webrunner said:
Signs per tile is probably a limitation of the way they're implemented or to prevent them from clipping each other.

I do think you should be able to stack things like doors though.
No. Not tile in the world. Tile in the inventory. I'm sure there's some technical reason for having to have one sign per slot. I'd think it was because they can be customized with text, but the signs don't remember their text when you remove them anyway. (I wish they did though. And I wish I could move the cursor too.)

Jasoco

Banned
rdelaney said:
Capture the flag in multiplayer would be awesome!
I can see them serving dual purpose. But how would you prevent someone from creating a duplicate flag decoy to trick the other team. Maybe the server could have a "no flag" flag that could be turned on to prevent creation by anyone other than the admin or mods. (Just in case one gets destroyed)

thespot84

ZZMitch said:
Those BlueXeros videos are amazing.

I was just watching their trip through some puzzle-like custom map. I was practically in tears the whole time!

Man those two are hilarious, the Stark trek custom map is fantastic (the banter, not the map)

Articalys

thespot84 said:
Man those two are hilarious, the Stark trek custom map is fantastic (the banter, not the map)
Just found and watched that.
Best part was the "I will teach it the ways of kissing" line from the guy with the Kirk skin.

What is the name of that song they use as the intro? I know it's a classic piece of stock music...

Wool

I just found my first dungeon!!!! I've been playing in this world for at least 20 hours or so, and this is the first time I have found one.

There I was exploring this cave system, and all of a sudden I run into a chest. I ran away at first and was kind of creeped out until I saw the mob spawner. It was a lot like this if you've ever seen "I am Legend":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZWmXRaT3k&feature=related

rezuth

rdelaney said:
I just found my first dungeon!!!! I've been playing in this world for at least 20 hours or so, and this is the first time I have found one.

There I was exploring this cave system, and all of a sudden I run into a chest. I ran away at first and was kind of creeped out until I saw the mob spawner. It was a lot like this if you've ever seen "I am Legend":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZWmXRaT3k&feature=related
Aww, how do I find dungeons? :(

Blizzard

Banned
barnone said:
I haven't been able to login to Minecraft.net for over 2 days, sucks man.
The site is very responsive for me right now. I can't get on the GAF server, but I finally found some non-whitelist server that I could join in multiplayer to make sure it wasn't broken. It seemed to work properly. The server seemed a bit laggy with like 30 people in it, though. I think a block I dug may have reappeared once.

randomwab

Enco said:
entranceq.png

Awesome game. Just came back from a long expedition in a mine which took us to bedrock. Lasted a few days as we got trapped in by monsters. Managed to get some redstone ore to make a compass for me and my brother and we also got a load of coal and iron. Ran into gold but didn't realise an iron pick was needed for it...

*The bit of sand is to indicate an entrance to a soon to be railway system. It's currently just a safety zone in case things go horribly wrong.

Can anyone tell me what texture pack Enco's using?

barnone

I haven't been able to connect to minecraft.net through my browser or login with my client. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my internet. I should've been able to get through at least once in the last few days.

Blizzard

Banned
barnone said:
I haven't been able to connect to minecraft.net through my browser or login with my client. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my internet. I should've been able to get through at least once in the last few days.
Try "ipconfig /flushdns", without quotes, from a command prompt. You might have to right click and run the command prompt as administrator.

Then try going to "http://www.minecraft.net" in a browser.

FrancisH

I had the problem of not being able to get to Minecraft.net or downloading new packages. Trying the DNS flush and changing DNS servers didn't help. (At Uni in UK if anyone wants to know)

I solved it (on OS X) and was able to go to Minecraft.net and then update packages after logging in by adding to /private/etc/hosts

50.16.232.191 minecraft.net
50.16.232.191 www.minecraft.net

I also tried this in Win 7 in Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts which allowed me to get to Minecraft.net but when clicking login in Minecraft I would just get:

Failed to Launch
Fatal error occured (2): NULL

Hope this helps in some way. Found this information on minecraftforum.

Edit: Fixed the fatal error by deleting /bin and /resources in .minecraft folder! :D

SumPog said:
Never tried multiplayer, from what I've heard from all of you, it appears to be as buggy as a bug.
It's actually pretty solid now if you're running vanilla, in my experience. (I just started messing with mods and they can make things pretty messy.)

The only major problems right now are:
-The Nether doesn't work at all
-hitboxes on monsters tend to feel kind of laggy, and turning on monsters can wreak havoc on performance on some servers
-authentication has been really unstable this past week, but it sounds like they're sorting that out

But if you turn off enemies, it's a pretty smooth experience. (And enemies aren't too bad either if you don't have too many players or if you have the hardware/network resources.)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Am I the only one who sometimes finds monsters "ghosts" while exploring (in SMP)?

For example, a few minutes ago I was walking around in broad daylight and I found a zombie standing still on top of a tree. Obviously, he wasn't really there - he didn't move, attack or could be attacked. I could still see him, and when I walked close to him, I could hear the noises zombies make.

In this case it isn't as bad, but sometimes these ghosts appear out of nowhere, like when I was walking down on my mining complex a couple of days ago, turned around to look back at the stairs I had JUST walked down just to find a creeper "ghost".

I screamed like a little girl
inside

Garcia

Vanilla is really stable for me as well, except for some eventual extreme slowdowns that happen here and there while exploring a cave I don't get any other problems at all. Even with plenty of mods the game runs smooth most of the time, however "Teleport signs" almost fucks up my save file after trying to teleport from an extreme distant location back to HQ. The chunk almost didn't load at all and I got scared as hell. Other than that it's been stable.

Brazil said:
Am I the only one who sometimes finds monsters "ghosts" while exploring (in SMP)?

For example, a few minutes ago I was walking around in broad daylight and I found a zombie standing still on top of a tree. Obviously, he wasn't really there - he didn't move, attack or could be attacked. I could still see him, and when I walked close to him, I could hear the noises zombies make.

In this case it isn't as bad, but sometimes these ghosts appear out of nowhere, like when I was walking down on my mining complex a couple of days ago, turned around to look back at the stairs I had JUST walked down just to find a creeper "ghost".

I screamed like a little girl
inside

Want to freak out?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd271/Volane/herobrine.jpg

It is a hoax tho' , confirmed by notch. Still... .It'd be awesome if he implemented such thing into the game. CREEPY !!!!!

Enco

Gave up on having monsters in my coop game.

Building things was a nuisance and half the ideas I had couldn't be implemented so I disabled monsters for now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom