• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Enco said:
Gave up on having monsters in my coop game.

Building things was a nuisance and half the ideas I had couldn't be implemented so I disabled monsters for now at least.

Yeah seriously, I also had to do that in order to build a fort. I tried building it for 3 days straight keeping the monsters on but it just became increasingly annoying after a while. It's fundamental if you want to build big or complex structures.

SumPog

Neo Member
I think that when you are holding torches, they should light up the area around you as you go along. Isn't that what torches usually do?

EDIT: Oooh look what my friend came across.

fazg4l.jpg

Garcia

SumPog said:
I think that when you are holding torches, they should light up the area around you as you go along. Isn't that what torches usually do?

Yep. We can agree on that, yet another stupid detail that hasn't been fixed. Also nice landscape, weird to find a hill cut up in half like that.

SumPog

Neo Member
Garcia said:
Yep. We can agree on that, yet another stupid detail that hasn't been fixed. Also nice landscape, weird to find a hill cut up in half like that.

It's annoying when you just want to walk around at night on peaceful and you can't see jack shit. It was pretty sweet to see as well, cut straight in half with no blemish what so ever.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SumPog said:

fazg4l.jpg

INCONCEIVABLE!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Suddenly started getting this error when I try to start up the game on my laptop -

Code:
      Minecraft has crashed!      
      ----------------------      

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT a1dce528 --------
Generated 1/23/11 10:22 AM

Minecraft: Minecraft Beta 1.2_02
Java: 1.6.0_23, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series version 3.3.10362 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

java.nio.BufferOverflowException
	at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.put(Unknown Source)
	at java.nio.ByteBuffer.put(Unknown Source)
	at gs.a(SourceFile:148)
	at gs.a(SourceFile:62)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.i(SourceFile:1086)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:642)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 42c2ee4c ----------

Anybody have any tips on how to fix this? I don't get the same error on my desktop.

::edit::
Nevermind; as usual, after searching the internet and not finding anything useful, I post the problem on GAF and end up solving it a minute later.

I found something saying that texture packs can sometimes cause the error, so I just deleted everything in the Minecraft folder and restarted it, and it works fine now.

Dug

Banned
Just heard about this a couple of seconds ago, but apparently 2 Player Productions(guys behind those Penny Arcade videos and more) are making some kind of documentary about Minecraft.

Source

(also coming out in February)

WedgeX

Banned
I keep getting an error, so far only in smp, where parts of the world...disappear. But only for me. Other people can walk through the areas fine, but if I try I fall...

For example, this is what the gaf community tower looked like when I walked back to it after having explored some castles.

minecraftchunkerror.jpg

Just a bug, or something I can fix?

Enco said:
Gave up on having monsters in my coop game.

Building things was a nuisance and half the ideas I had couldn't be implemented so I disabled monsters for now at least.
Yeah, I kind of feel this way too. Our big gripe with them on my server is creepers -- I don't mind fighting monsters in general, but we don't want to always be repairing creeper-holes in our stuff. They tend to sometimes spawn in moderately-lit places, and the wonky hit detection makes them explode more easily than in single player. I found a couple mods that will disable the terrain damage from their explosions, but one doesn't work at the moment and the other one was causing a lot of strange bugs.

Wish #59284 for Minecraft: Bigger variance in difficulty between gameplay 'types'. When I'm exploring, I want more challenge and variety in monster encounters. But when I'm working on a structure, I'd like a way to make it impossible for monsters to spawn. Either through some sort of "monster-repeller" made out of rare materials that creates a large no-spawn area, or by building some kind of border for the area using a special material. Make it as expensive as it needs to be for balance purposes.

I guess we may have to resort to spamming torches in every nook and cranny of our castle, but I wish there was a better solution.

WedgeX said:
I keep getting an error, so far only in smp, where parts of the world...disappear. But only for me. Other people can walk through the areas fine, but if I try I fall...

For example, this is what the gaf community tower looked like when I walked back to it after having explored some castles.

Bug, I think. We've been getting those on my server a lot lately.

You can usually get rid of them by logging off and back on, or sometimes by adding/removing torches around their edges. But I don't know if there's a better solution than that.

barnone

SumPog said:

fazg4l.jpg

I've been wanting a sizeable mountain that I could try to recreate the Eyrie (from Song of Ice and Fire) on. Darn your friend!

ckohler

WedgeX said:

Those are called "chunk errors" and they are only client-side. In other words, you will need to relog in so the server resends you the chunk again. That's why your friends are unaffected.

Xun

I think this game has far more potential than what is currently being explored.

Bring me trains, cars, planes and spaceships!

Anything would work with this damn game...

Atomski

Does it ever bother anyone when they see modern looking stuff in this game? I always imagine its in a Zeldaish like world with castles and villages. When I see modern buildings or skins I totally get detached :p. Something about the online communities that just drives me nuts.

Even though I know its me being crazy.

Also I made me a poodude skin
poodude2.png

Atomski said:
Does it ever bother anyone when they see modern looking stuff in this game? I always imagine its in a Zeldaish like world with castles and villages. When I see modern buildings or skins I totally get detached :p. Something about the online communities that just drives me nuts.

Even though I know its me being crazy.
I'm kind of the same way... On my private server we've been pretty serious about sticking with a medieval theme. I've seen some pretty cool modern buildings people have made, but they always look a little strange with wooden torches and stone furnaces in them. Maybe eventually they'll make a "Modern Minecraft" update or expansion, but for now everything seems to work better in the medieval style.

I'm kind of a hypocrite though, since my main skin is a robot. :p

DrEvil

not a medical professional
WedgeX said:

minecraftchunkerror.jpg

Which map mod is that?

Exano

Neo Member
Edit-I Found the thread below, nevermind.

And has anybody tried out bukkit yet? Its supposed to be the new Hey0, but with better compatability with the plugins

Exano said:
And has anybody tried out bukkit yet? Its supposed to be the new Hey0, but with better compatability with the plugins
I'm running it right now, but I haven't done too much with it yet. I haven't used Hey0 so I can't really compare. Bukkit is a pretty seamless install and adding plugins is really easy. They seem to be developing it pretty rapidly right now, which is an encouraging sign but it seems like it's breaking plugin compatibility a lot. And there doesn't seem to be a good way to tell which plugins are compatible with which versions of CraftBukkit.

Also, something is causing my server to have a lot more chunk errors this past week, but I haven't figured out if it's Bukkit, a plugin, or a problem with core Minecraft.

SumPog

Neo Member
barnone said:
I've been wanting a sizeable mountain that I could try to recreate the Eyrie (from Song of Ice and Fire) on. Darn your friend!

Hey maybe I could get the world save from him and upload it, perhaps in the next week or so.

Bradlums

WedgeX said:

minecraftchunkerror.jpg

Just a chunk error, everyone gets them. Log out and back in and all should be well.
bathala said:
Can I get an invite in joining the gaf community server?
There should be a quote to view server address post a few pages back.

bathala

Banned
thespot84 said:
Oh hai.

I've changed the server address . this is our best defense against greifing, and i can cycle the names whenever necessary.

I haven't restored any backups, the world is still fresh, so you'll need to repair any damages. Let me know if you need something spawned to make you whole again (i.e something stolen/destroyed) that you can't get in the community tower. PM me on GAF.

Also, there's a present waiting for you. it's so exciting!
if it's too laggy lemme know...

(quote to view address)
Ok joining Gaf server

Enco

Thought it would make things easier for people if the address was posted on a new page.

(quote to view address)

Original post:
thespot84 said:
Oh hai.

I've changed the server address . this is our best defense against greifing, and i can cycle the names whenever necessary.

I haven't restored any backups, the world is still fresh, so you'll need to repair any damages. Let me know if you need something spawned to make you whole again (i.e something stolen/destroyed) that you can't get in the community tower. PM me on GAF.

Also, there's a present waiting for you. it's so exciting!
if it's too laggy lemme know...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
WolfofMebu said:
Finally got the frame of my tree up. Next I have to work on adding more branches and eventually leaves.

http://i.imgur.com/kzYd2.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4xxKA.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
How do you plan to add leaves to the tree? Are you just going to plant saplings in the branches?

That looks pretty awesome, btw.

Brazil said:
How do you plan to add leaves to the tree? Are you just going to plant saplings in the branches?

That looks pretty awesome, btw.

Yeah, just going to plant saplings in the general area that I want leaves to be.

Thanks.

thespot84

themustardman said:
gaf server appears to be down again.
Just when the production on my church was ramping up.

GAFLANDNOWORK.png

because the internet at my house is apparently out. I think the modem is borked, I'll be home in an hour or so and fix it.

Garcia

themustardman said:
gaf server appears to be down again.
Just when the production on my church was ramping up.

GAFLANDNOWORK.ng

Thanks for making me spit mah water... LOL .

Edit: You guys gave me a good reason to build crazy stuff on my SSP world... Posting the resulting pics in this thread hehe.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
lZm2B.jpg

This is my tower of doom, build upon the highest hill in the land, complete with ominous lava waterfalls. It's not uncommon to walk out in the morning to find piles of porkchops in front of the pools where it collects at the bottom. Mwhhhhahahaha. My tower also has a glass ceiling with a Tree of Gondor growing in the middle of it. You can see that little waterfall jutting out over the edge, I've been really getting in to controlling the flow of water and trying to get it to stretch as far as possible by building little pools and canals. The waterfall eventually flows out to the sea a little ways away:

tyHRW.jpg

Twice already I've accidentally pasted over my water spring with a cobblestone, which means it disappears forever. Fucking RAGGGGGGGEE they shouldn't let you do that.

bathala

Banned
I was able to try multi for the first time on gafland. Buti I got disconnected then it was down :(

Any rule about building stuff and space?

Jasoco

Banned
SumPog said:
My house just burned down ;(
Now I know to build stuff with cobblestone.
Or Sandstone, which with the right texture can look really good as brick.

Also, did you use fire or lava? I find if you use fire, it only needs to have 1 tile between it and wood. Lava however needs a lot more space. I use fire and Netherrack as fireplaces and have built about 8 houses with the same style design. Wood floors, sandstone walls, wooden roofs and halfstep/cobblestone chimney's.

SumPog

Neo Member
Jasoco said:
Or Sandstone, which with the right texture can look really good as brick.

Also, did you use fire or lava? I find if you use fire, it only needs to have 1 tile between it and wood. Lava however needs a lot more space. I use fire and Netherrack as fireplaces and have built about 8 houses with the same style design. Wood floors, sandstone walls, wooden roofs and halfstep/cobblestone chimney's.

That's a really nice design, actually. Might use that. It caught on fire by completely accident. I had a massive tree crop near the house and so I lit one tree on fire just for fun, then it spread like, well, wildfire.

Jasoco

Banned
SumPog said:
That's a really nice design, actually. Might use that. It caught on fire by completely accident. I had a massive tree crop near the house and so I lit one tree on fire just for fun, then it spread like, well, wildfire.
I posted pictures a few pages back.

wetwired

I thought I'd share some of my creations, this was all built on the now reset QGL Server, using Hmod with item spawning enabled. The new server is survival multiplayer and has no item spawning. Image heavy...

I did the building with the arrow shapes pointing up, not the WTC behind
unfinishedday.jpg

unfinishednight.jpg

Wettstein Castle
wetcastleday.jpg

wetcastlenight.jpg

wetcastledistant.jpg

Wet Sphere with a giant tree inside and a hedge maze underneath
sphereday.jpg

spherenight.jpg

Finally some CBD views, I did the sphere, the "WET" building on the right and most of the surrounding roads and gardens, and the triangular tower on the left, and some of Krome studios behind the sphere to the left (the small red brick building with the bomb floating above it)
wet1day.jpg
wet1night.jpg

cbdday.jpg

cbdnight.jpg

kai3345

Banned
So I just had my coolest minecraft experience to date last night.

On my friend's multiplayer server, whenever we got bored of our world, we'd scrap it and make a new one. Well last night he used a mod or something that allowed compasses to point to specified places on the map, so, he sent us on a lengthy scavenger hunt.
RzWlx.png

At the final stop, we were told to drive boats straight across the ocean...
SLtDf.png

whereupon we reach, our First World. On fire and in ruins.
HRQK5.png

Our friend told us that there was ungodly amounts of loot at the top of the burning tower. The only catch was, he had placed monster spawners, turning the tower into a 12 floor dungeon,
sfLE5.png

But in the end, most of us had managed to barley get to the top alive, we put out the fire, claimed our loot, and reclaimed our old world from the monsters.
EkKTn.png

That was one of the most fun and badass things I've done in any video game, ever.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
That dungeon story makes me hope that Minecraft eventually has a third major mode. I'm not sure what to call it... game-maker mode, maybe?

Mode 1 is the oldschool creative mode. Unlimited blocks, no goals. Lego mode.

Mode 2 survival SP / survival MP.

Mode 3 would be a new creative mode, allowing people to create levels and scenarios that could be played in survival mode. It would be like creative mode, but with various gamer-maker tools, like hidden triggers (ie when a player passes this spot, monsters spawn or some other event is triggered). It could also have hard rules, like no destroying stone blocks or something, to ensure stages are completed the proper way. It could maybe also have tools for simple NPCs or dialogue interactions.

People could use Minecraft as a sort of RPG maker.

GDJustin said:
Mode 3 would be a new creative mode, allowing people to create levels and scenarios that could be played in survival mode. It would be like creative mode, but with various gamer-maker tools, like hidden triggers (ie when a player passes this spot, monsters spawn or some other event is triggered). It could also have hard rules, like no destroying stone blocks or something, to ensure stages are completed the proper way. It could maybe also have tools for simple NPCs or dialogue interactions.

And then Mode 4:

Explorer Mode: Survival mode, but your world gets created out of chunks that are created in Mode 3.

Enco

GDJustin said:
That dungeon story makes me hope that Minecraft eventually has a third major mode. I'm not sure what to call it... game-maker mode, maybe?

Mode 1 is the oldschool creative mode. Unlimited blocks, no goals. Lego mode.

Mode 2 survival SP / survival MP.

If only.

Would be A-MAZING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom