• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
WolfofMebu said:
4xxKA.png

MdCm8.jpg

I would like to play a survival light mode where enemies spawn at night, creepers burn up in daylight, and enemies don't spawn in caves (they can just stay in the entrance). Making arrows easier to craft would also be nice.

Jasoco

Banned
Twig said:
What do you mean "opens up"?

There are tons of mods for the game.
Official API modding support that doesnt require hacks and won't break with updates. I can't wait for drag and drop mods.

Twig

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I really don't know. All I know its using the AO mod (which is awesome with any texture pack)
If you find out, do tell, 'cause that's the best the game has ever looked, ever.

Jasoco

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
I would like to play a survival light mode where enemies spawn at night, creepers burn up in daylight, and enemies don't spawn in caves (they can just stay in the entrance). Making arrows easier to craft would also be nice.
I suggested this at GetSatisfaction. (The official site for MineCraft suggestions/bug reports.)

http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/easy_mode_should_be_one_step_up_from_peaceful

Go there and voice your approval. Easy should just be one step up from peaceful. An easy mode where you aren't bothered a lot, except at night. No enemies in caves too. And Creepers should be a little less likely to spawn. Maybe make them rarer, but still there. But only one per night instead of 5 or 6 waiting outside your door when day breaks. Also, maybe make them benign when the sun comes up unless you attack them. And they'd follow you around creeping up watching what you're doing waiting for nightfall. THAT would be cool. And would be a mode I'd play on. I want an incentive to live in my structures, but I don't want to be killed while trying to find the materials to build them IN THE DAYTIME. It would give me a reason to keep my watch with me.

See, I want to play casually, but I don't want it to be wasted. So I'd like a little challenge, but right now, the lowest difficulty is too hard as it is. Maybe when mod support comes out, someone can make a "Better Easy" mode that gimps the spawning and makes a better easy mode.

Twig said:
Hah! Good luck with that.
Yeah. But at least it would be supported instead of hacked into the current code. So it'd be less likely to break. But I'm sure it will, but the mods will probably be updated in a timely manner like texture packs are now. It'd just be official and most likely drag-and-drop with a "plug-ins" folder like the texture folder we have now.

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
Yeah. But at least it would be supported instead of hacked into the current code. So it'd be less likely to break. But I'm sure it will, but the mods will probably be updated in a timely manner like texture packs are now. It'd just be official and most likely drag-and-drop with a "plug-ins" folder like the texture folder we have now.
In an ideal world, sure. But often, even games with official mod support aren't as clean and easy as you'd like. We'll see just how well it works once it's done.

Not that I'd be disappointed, mind you. Any official support is better than no official support! (Unless "official support" means "official anti-support" because they limit the mod capabilities so much that you really can't do much.)

(edited for clarification cause what i said made no sense)

Exano

Neo Member
Theres a mod called "Betterlight" that adds ambient occlusion to the game as well as various other lighting fixes, that might be why.

ZZMitch

I need help.

I have been spending most of my free time in the last few days watching "Let's Play" videos of people playing Minecraft. I am watching people play a video game that I could be playing myself! :p

Atomski

Exano said:
Theres a mod called "Betterlight" that adds ambient occlusion to the game as well as various other lighting fixes, that might be why.

I have that installed on my shot. Its not as strong as it is in the earlier shot though.

Atomski

Whenever the game is updated the mods are erased and most the time you have to wait for mod updates.

So I tried that mod mentioned earlier. heres some of my shots

mine5.jpg

mine4.jpg

mine2.jpg

mine6.jpg

mine7.jpg

mine1.jpg

webrunner

GDJustin said:
That dungeon story makes me hope that Minecraft eventually has a third major mode. I'm not sure what to call it... game-maker mode, maybe?

Mode 1 is the oldschool creative mode. Unlimited blocks, no goals. Lego mode.

Mode 2 survival SP / survival MP.

Mode 3 would be a new creative mode, allowing people to create levels and scenarios that could be played in survival mode. It would be like creative mode, but with various gamer-maker tools, like hidden triggers (ie when a player passes this spot, monsters spawn or some other event is triggered). It could also have hard rules, like no destroying stone blocks or something, to ensure stages are completed the proper way. It could maybe also have tools for simple NPCs or dialogue interactions.

People could use Minecraft as a sort of RPG maker.

"Dungeon Master" mode.

animlboogy said:
Are you talking about Eden?

It is VERY good on my iPhone 4. Runs like a dream. But it is not the survival mode that most people refer to when they're talking about Minecraft. It's just a block building environment. A very good one, however. And you can share your worlds online.

I was looking at something called Minecraft World Explorer for $4.99 (limited time).

Oreoleo

DoctorWho said:
I was looking at something called Minecraft World Explorer for $4.99 (limited time).

The reviews do not look very promising (iPad version). Seems like there's a lot of crashing. iPhone4 has more RAM than iPad right? Maybe it would be better there.

Orellio said:
The reviews do not look very promising (iPad version). Seems like there's a lot of crashing. iPhone4 has more RAM than iPad right? Maybe it would be better there.

Yeah, it's universal. I'm planning on jumping into the whole Minecraft thing too and thought this would be a good companion piece.

randomwab

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, it's universal. I'm planning on jumping into the whole Minecraft thing too and thought this would be a good companion piece.

As far as I know, that iPhone/iPad app is only a world explorer. You can import your world from the PC, but the iOS version doesn't have Survival or anything. It'd simply be your world in a Minecraft classic game.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Has the SP game gotten more dangerous or what?

I'm on a long trip far from my main base to try and find enough diamond, coal & iron so that I can finally start to build something epic without having to continuously mine. I found a huge cave that I think might go to the bedrock, set up an underground base thats ALWAYS getting swarmed by mobs even when I think it's safe. I went through about 5 hams underground in about 3 nights and had to resurface.

I built a little lookout tower to camp through the night in order to restock on ham in the morning, I'm looking around at night after I finished building, and counted 21 hostile mobs, including groups of 4 skeletons, 2 groups of spiders, and zombies all over the place.

If the cave I found wasn't so awesome I'd call this trip off and head back to the main base, I honestly don't think I can survive :lol, and if I die I'll lose all of my stuff.

Anyone else noticing a difficulty jump?

Wanace

I found clay for the first time ever the other day. Only 2 blocks though :/

When you guys build your huge mansions, are you using staircases to get from floor to floor, or are you using ladders? Ladders are definitely space/time savers but don't look as cool.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cryptozoologist said:

When you guys build your huge mansions, are you using staircases to get from floor to floor, or are you using ladders? Ladders are definitely space/time savers but don't look as cool.

GAFland community tower has a nice spiral staircase.

Jasoco

Banned
Cryptozoologist said:

I find it in huge clumps of like 16 blocks total each time all over the world.

Also, stairs if it's for looks, ladders if it's for utility. (Basement gets a ladder. Normal house gets stairs. Attic gets ladder.

Kritz

Banned
I think this year I've spent more time watching videos of people play minecraft more than I've actually played minecraft.

I feel that... I'm kind of done with the game so far. It's mostly lack of personal motivation, but I have no real desire to start a new building project. I've dicked around in some custom maps (survival island, escapecraft, etc) and they're cool. But as an actual game, I think I've worn myself out.

Now, this isn't me saying I'm never playing it again. Shit I'll probably log another 15 hours before the month is up. But I'm at the point where no amount of restarting or building grand things can captivate me as much as it once did.

Hrm... maybe if I build my own escapecraft level. :O

*frantically logs into minecraft*

thespot84

Minions:

It appears my router is on it's last leg. It's an old workhouse WRT54g with DDWRT installed, and has been great up until now but over the last month has been dropping the connection as much as once a day. Now this is something I can live with for my own uses, but isn't ideal for a server. Since i'm not in the position to buy a new router, now is probably the time to talk about offsite hosting.

Exano

Neo Member
thespot84 said:
Minions:

It appears my router is on it's last leg. It's an old workhouse WRT54g with DDWRT installed, and has been great up until now but over the last month has been dropping the connection as much as once a day. Now this is something I can live with for my own uses, but isn't ideal for a server. Since i'm not in the position to buy a new router, now is probably the time to talk about offsite hosting.

I wonder if we could get some people to chip in like $5 to buy a month or three worth of hosting on a real server somewhere...

IceMarker

Looks like we're not getting another update for 2 weeks. Meh, I got a huge enough backlog as it is, at least this will keep me away from the game until the next significant update. (Which to me was the Halloween Update.)

pirata

Just logged onto Gafland for the first time in a while (my mouse died, so I couldn't play). The new comm tower is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom