• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanace

Anyone else crashing a bunch more in the newest version? I haven't played for about 3 weeks, and I'm crashing all the time, seemingly around sunrise/sunset usually. I'm on a Mac, never had any consistent crashing issues until now.

Exano

Neo Member
Well if we can get the average players online, i'd be more than willing to foot a bill for a quarter or a month worth of hosting service.

I cannot afford an annual one, but the others i'd have no problem until donations can keep the servers running.

corn_fest

I've been playing this on Peaceful. How much am I missing out on? I was just tired of being destroyed by monsters every time I respawned at night. Also, I just found a cave which seems to span almost the entirety of my discovered map!

pix

corn_fest said:
I've been playing this on Peaceful. How much am I missing out on? I was just tired of being destroyed by monsters every time I respawned at night. Also, I just found a cave which seems to span almost the entirety of my discovered map!

Depends how you want to play. Some people like exploring/mining/building in peace. If that's what you enjoy, go for it.

Jasoco

Banned
corn_fest said:
All I've noticed is stuff you get from enemies.

Gunpowder (for TNT)
Bones (for white dye/light colored wool and instant trees)
String (for bows)
Etc...

Exano

Neo Member
So I bought a 20 slot server for Minecraft....

If Spot wants, i'll take the World and upload it to that and it'll host hte new gafl server :)

Insaniac

notch really needs to add the ability to disable creepers only on multiplayer. I don't mind the monsters but fighting creepers in lag while trying to preserve community buildings is impossible.

Exano

Neo Member
Alright I got hte server up and running.
This is hopefully going to be the new Gafland server. We are experiencing no lag with mobs enabled atm :)

Quote to view the server address, keep in mind the server address is only temporary until I figure all this stuff out ;)

(quote to view address)[/QUOTE]

Exano

Neo Member
Should we continue the old map, or should we restart the map now that monsters are enabled, and build a world better suited to that?

Vlad

Exano said:
Should we continue the old map, or should we restart the map now that monsters are enabled, and build a world better suited to that?

Well, as much as I'm already attached to the new world, it really isn't a "survival" world in the truest sense.

Sitting on your server now, with the monsters out in force, I begrudgingly think that I'd almost like to start over again... still, I say we put it to a vote.

Jasoco

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
You can find sulphur and string in dungeon chests.
Not enough if you really want to do some real work. And why can't you find bones yet? (Or can you? I haven't found any in any newly generated dungeons I've found.)

Bone really needs to be findable without enemies. It's one of the items you need to have even if you're on Peaceful. I can't make anything with light colored wool.

S.W.

Jasoco said:
Not enough if you really want to do some real work. And why can't you find bones yet? (Or can you? I haven't found any in any newly generated dungeons I've found.)

Bone really needs to be findable without enemies. It's one of the items you need to have even if you're on Peaceful. I can't make anything with light colored wool.
Spot was running around with bones last night, should have killed him for it :p

(<==Edible)

Exano

Neo Member
Jasoco said:
Heh. Just got kicked off. And can't get back on. "End of stream". Error code 503.

And now I'm back.

Yeah atm it saves,and resets every other hour at the moment. It's a soft reset, I dont' know how to change it yet. Just try again in 30 seconds, it will be back.

I'll mess with it all tomorrow.

thespot84

Exano said:
Yeah atm it saves,and resets every other hour at the moment. It's a soft reset, I dont' know how to change it yet. Just try again in 30 seconds, it will be back.

I'll mess with it all tomorrow.

I'm uploading a backup from earlier today, I'll link it tomorrow (~200mb).

What's set up for server admin? McMyAdmin? I honestly have no preference if we switch to better hosting (why not?) and if we keep the old map or not. the backup is always there if we want to keep it, we could do a week or two on a new one and see what everything thinks with mobs being enabled...

kennah

Wow, tried the new server and the starting area is amazing! All desolate desert wasteland, nothing but sand and lava. So cool!

Inkwell

Banned
Just tried the new server. I haven't done anything yet besides hide in Artistdude88's place. I think I'll follow his lead and build something similar to what he has, and have something on a pillar that looks like it came out of The Jetsons.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
new server info in post 12025

The server is running great! No lag issues at all so far on my end.

Rapstah

Server is running great from Europe here, hardly any chunk errors and I can run around them.

I've also started a system of safety cottages spread across the land. If you see a small wooden house with trees on top placed in a handy location it's for hiding from mobs. There's a workbench and oven in all of them and you can refer to them through unique serial numbers next to the door. Currently building number four north of spawn.

Rapstah

I apparently have a pet creeper on your server.

2011-01-29_22.55.00oqnx.png

EDIT:

2011-01-29_23.08.236r3y.png

Haunted

wwm0nkey said:
This might actually deserve its own thread in the gaming section but...

Halo Recreated in Minecraft.
Sure this is supposed to be Halo?

Actually reminded me more of Half-Life, what with the MedPacks, gun model and the gun sounds.

Probably better to just call this a general Minecraft FPS. :)

edit: or is that a map from Halo? Then it'd make more sense.

WedgeX

Banned
Bradlums said:
Is there anyway for us to transfer our old homes to the new server?
I'll miss my tree :\

You can build a new, safer tree. Full of mob traps.

edit:

And my computer is sucking at connection to the new map.

Kritz

Banned
Haunted said:
Sure this is supposed to be Halo?

Actually reminded me more of Half-Life, what with the MedPacks, gun model and the gun sounds.

Probably better to just call this a general Minecraft FPS. :)

edit: or is that a map from Halo? Then it'd make more sense.

The map is Lookout from Halo 2.

Although the recreation is inaccurate, as Lookout had a ghost in it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Kritz said:
The map is Lookout from Halo 2.

Although the recreation is inaccurate, as Lookout had a ghost in it.

Its lockout not lookout, and there was no ghost.

Exano

Neo Member
It seems every so often inventories get reset a few minutes back. After a reset it seemed to have calmed the problem down, but still not sure why its happening. Will fix asap, but in the meantime if it does end up happening again and you lose something just PM me or talk to me ingame and i'll be more then happy to fix your stuff.

EDIT- Apparently its a hardware issue, and they're working to fix it now. Should be golden soon.

Kritz

Banned
Calm Killer said:
Its lockout not lookout, and there was no ghost.

Oh there was totally a ghost. But he was made out of apostrophes so maybe you missed it.

(Check it out I can make corrections too!)

Wool

The new server is great! Almost no lag at all, enemies, and space near the spawn point to build!

Anyway, I think it would be cool to make a grand entrance to Gafland 2 where the spawn point is. We could make a tunnel that you have to walk through after spawning that has signs and what not. Otherwise we could just built some community building around the spawn point so that you don't have to worry about mobs if you join the world or die at night.

Awakened

First impressions of the new GAF server are great. It does indeed seem about as lagless as playing on a server running on your own PC.

Enco

MrMister said:
I've been on the new server nearly 5 hours straight, you'll find a tower by me and a new friend northeast of spawn
Haha it was good.

That was probably the longest session I've been on for.

Had fun.

Good new server with no lag (the old one will be missed). Thanks for providing it as a download though!

Enco

Exano said:
Alright I got hte server up and running.
This is hopefully going to be the new Gafland server. We are experiencing no lag with mobs enabled atm :)

Quote to view the server address, keep in mind the server address is only temporary until I figure all this stuff out ;)

Here's the new server.

(quote to view address)

The download is for you to play alone (put it in your minecraft folder and name it world1 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom