• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timan

Developer
Lets not jump the gun and call that the new GAFLAND... maybe just an alternative for those who like survival mp.

Still safe to say that Spot's server is still the official one for now.

Maybe we need a post that says.

Wanna build/mine - go here
Wanna survive - go here

Tesseract

Banned
Timan said:
Lets not jump the gun and call that the new GAFLAND... maybe just an alternative for those who like survival mp.

Still safe to say that Spot's server is still the official one for now.

Maybe we need a post that says.

Wanna build/mine - go here
Wanna survive - go here

a better distinction would be: for normal survival, go here. for peaceful survival, go here. there is building and mining in survival, only with enemies added and other nefarious going-ons.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
As I've been mentioning to the parties involved, I'm looking at potentially taking over hosting duties from theSpot; we'll keep gafland as is (with a few improvements), admins/mods will remain the same, and all that fun stuff.

I'm looking at potential hosting solutions at no-cost to you guys, as well as weighing all the options available to us.

I'll keep you all posted in the very least.

Wanace

Is there an issue with chests orienting the wrong way? My "opening" seems to face against the wall which makes no sense. I've even tried breaking the wall, placing the chest and then replacing the wall but the chest just "reorients" itself with the opening facing the wall again. Not a huge issue but kinda annoying for aesthetics.

Here's a screenshot of the default textures to show you what I mean:

sAXMC.png

It's not just because I have it next to stairs either, I've tried on multiple surfaces.

Inkwell

Banned
animlboogy said:
Yeah, it is kinda tough.

Anyway, what should we call this new server, if NeoGAF Land is possibly coming back?

Also, is there any way we could have an updated OT with GAF servers? Again, I'm not ready to list mine openly just yet -- especially as I'm paying for a server that can handle about 6 people at a time -- but I'd like to at some point, especially if there was an easier way to see the servers the GAF community is hosting.
I say we just called in the NeoGAF Survival Server, and the other one NeoGAF Peaceful/Creative Server, if that's what it will be. Or it can just be NeoGAF Server #1/2.

Cryptozoologist said:
Is there an issue with chests orienting the wrong way? My "opening" seems to face against the wall which makes no sense. I've even tried breaking the wall, placing the chest and then replacing the wall but the chest just "reorients" itself with the opening facing the wall again. Not a huge issue but kinda annoying for aesthetics.

Here's a screenshot of the default textures to show you what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/sAXMC.png[IMG]

It's not just because I have it next to stairs either, I've tried on multiple surfaces.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think there's something going on with object orientation. I've only seen it on switches and buttons, but it makes sense that it would happen to chests too. For some reason it resets them to some "default" position if you use them.

Been having a lot of fun on the new server earlier today. Unfortunately I have been experiencing a lot of crashes though this evening. Sometimes only allowing me to play for 30 seconds at a time. Not sure if it is a server issue but I never crashed single player before.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZZMitch said:
Minecraft multiplayer with mobs is amazing. I don't know if I can go back to the singleplayer now!
nothing like crossing an open field only to have a bunch of players type RUN! GET OUT NOW! CREEPER BEHIND YOU!

Exano

Neo Member
KingOfKong said:
Been having a lot of fun on the new server earlier today. Unfortunately I have been experiencing a lot of crashes though this evening. Sometimes only allowing me to play for 30 seconds at a time. Not sure if it is a server issue but I never crashed single player before.

If its the black screen issue try reducing your draw distance one less then max. That helps a lot of people out who experience crashing.

Generally if the server crashes it'll tell you in the box, and we should have stopped any reset issues that have been happening.

The server does auto-restart every 8 hours, though.

IceMarker

Pandaman said:
nothing like crossing an open field only to have a bunch of players type RUN! GET OUT NOW! CREEPER BEHIND YOU!
Panda get back on that server right now and see my awesome cool tower I built with Enco!

Exano said:
If its the black screen issue try reducing your draw distance one less then max. That helps a lot of people out who experience crashing.

Generally if the server crashes it'll tell you in the box, and we should have stopped any reset issues that have been happening.

The server does auto-restart every 8 hours, though.

That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming it. It didn't start happening until I started messing with texture packs. I guess my MacBook pro isn't capable to handle the demands of this game haha

Askani

I don't have internet at home right now. That means I haven't updated my Minecraft since the first Nether update to allow portals. I took my PC to a friends house and installed some Steam games and updated it. I'm off to read the wiki, but what important changes have I missed? Anything super cool I'm going to shocked about?

Blizzard

Banned
animlboogy said:
Four sand blocks to build sandstone, wool dyes dropped by mobs (black from squid, white from skeletons), bonemeal usable on trees to make them grow super fast, lapis lazuli for blue dye (which is stupidly rare right now), green from cacti, and the respective colors from the existing flowers. sugarcane is in; it's exactly the same thing as reeds, and you can still make paper out of it, but you can also get sugar from it. With which you can make cake.

That's all I can think of that I've actually used frequently. In multiplayer, having wool dyes has been a lot of fun.
I think music blocks are another new development that is kinda cool. They can be triggered by redstone and used to play songs if you have time on your hands. Maybe more instrument sounds will be added in the future.

ZZMitch

Blizzard said:
I think music blocks are another new development that is kinda cool. They can be triggered by redstone and used to play songs if you have time on your hands. Maybe more instrument sounds will be added in the future.

Also birch trees

Jasoco

Banned
animlboogy said:
Ha, I don't know how I forgot that! We've done some stupid things on my server with those.

We built a random generator that flicks on with a switch and plays 4 music blocks sporadically. It's the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard. It sounds like a music class full of three year olds. Funny enough, it ended up serving as a beacon for a miner who was trying to connect a tunnel to the main base.

That's awesome. Question though. Does the sound go through the ground? Or can you hear it through walls even if it's a solid case? Also, does it have volume in the up and down axis as well as the horizontal axis'? Like if it's down at 5 and you're at 120, can you hear it the same?

owlbeak

FFFFUUUU!!!! *pulls hair out*

Seriously...every fucking time I try to play, either GAFLand is down or, like now, can't connect to minecraft.net.

*FUCKIN SIGH* ;_;

Blizzard

Banned
OatmealMu said:
So it's not just me? I was testing texture packs, and was suddenly unable to connect to the login server.
Maybe it's some DNS thing. I can't connect to minecraft.net (which resolves to some random IP), but www.minecraft.net resolves to an Amazon cloud server or whatever, and seems to work quite well. Unfortunately I guess the game login uses minecraft.net?

Pandaman said:
man, i fuck up fighting a creeper near something and i feel bad. ;_;
shameless.

I hear ya, I'm actually nervous that I'll accidentally mine into someone else's work and screw it up. Or lure a Creeper into someones home, like you. One of the reasons I stick to the GAF Survival server for my multiplayer (after being exclusively single player up till about a few days ago), don't need to worry about you lot. :)

Speaking of, I'm Steelabjur by the way, for those of you who've seen or interacted with me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Lonewolf_92 said:
I hear ya, I'm actually nervous that I'll accidentally mine into someone else's work and screw it up. Or lure a Creeper into someones home, like you. One of the reasons I stick to the GAF Survival server for my multiplayer (after being exclusively single player up till about a few days ago), don't need to worry about you lot. :)

Speaking of, I'm Steelabjur by the way, for those of you who've seen or interacted with me.
it wasnt so much luring as charging and hacking away at a pair standing 1 block away from an all sand building.

but thats practically the same thing!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It'd be awesome to be part of a GAF server again.

Unfortunately, I can't right now. I can't destroy blocks in thespot's server, because of latency issues I guess, so I can't build anything either. Sad.

I have some weird problems with gafland too, I can't break any blocks and I randomly gets teleported back to the spawn point. I also jumped down from a huge cliff and didn't take any damage until much, much later, so I can't do anything right now, pretty much...

Yaweee

I can't connect to Exano's server (#12025)

It's the most amazing server I've played on. Health, mobs, and a working tram system? Fuck yeah!

Xun

Yaweee said:

It's the most amazing server I've played on. Health, mobs, and a working tram system? Fuck yeah!
Neither can I.

This saddens me greatly.

Falt

Yaweee said:

Ditto but in fairness it's the only server I've played on! I played a lot of single player and this being my first foray into SMP I'm overwhelmed by the whole experience in general. It's amazing to log in each day and see how the world has developed.

Hopefully the server is up and running by the time I get home from work. I have a small dock to finish! :p

Yaweee

Falt said:
Ditto but in fairness it's the only server I've played on! I played a lot of single player and this being my first foray into SMP I'm overwhelmed by the whole experience in general. It's amazing to log in each day and see how the world has developed.

Hopefully the server is up and running by the time I get home from work. I have a small dock to finish! :p

I think the starting area needs some more work and signage to point people in the right direction, as well as making the terrain easier to maneuver. I know I detonated a whole bunch of creepers during my first few nights when I was struggling to find Coal.

Hopefully Exano figures out how to take and post a map of the place; that would be very helpful in determining where the best places to explore and build are.

I found a bad-ass natural cave formation NE of the NorthPoint Subway Terminal that I'm really hoping to explore. Only a few people had left any mark near NorthPoint as of last night, mostly Godzilla-something and somebody that managed to set an island on fire.

If more trams get made, what is the way to do it? Separate lines so you need to get off and transfer? Is there any kind of Cart return system? Right now it kind of depends on keeping a mix in the two donation bins at each end.

Is there access on to the above ground part of the subway line? It could act as a decent walkway if carts run out if it were reliable to get on to.

Exano

Neo Member
Yaweee said:
I think the starting area needs some more work and signage to point people in the right direction, as well as making the terrain easier to maneuver. I know I detonated a whole bunch of creepers during my first few nights when I was struggling to find Coal.

Hopefully Exano figures out how to take and post a map of the place; that would be very helpful in determining where the best places to explore and build are.

I found a bad-ass natural cave formation NE of the NorthPoint Subway Terminal that I'm really hoping to explore. Only a few people had left any mark near NorthPoint as of last night, mostly Godzilla-something and somebody that managed to set an island on fire.

If more trams get made, what is the way to do it? Separate lines so you need to get off and transfer? Is there any kind of Cart return system? Right now it kind of depends on keeping a mix in the two donation bins at each end.

Is there access on to the above ground part of the subway line? It could act as a decent walkway if carts run out if it were reliable to get on to.

I agree, i'm working on the spawn point area today or tomorrow, cleaning it up. You start in a house thats creeper proof, now. As for the subway, there is a catcher system in place, and when I get some more mats i'll have the dispenser. If more trams get made we have 2 options: Link them up to the north point/bedrock station terminal and just add an extra switch, or just make another terminal. I was kind of thinking 4 terminals close to spawn, one going NSEW

Spot, is there any way you'd be willing to put Hey0 on your server? That way we can link the two servers chat.

thespot84

Exano said:
I agree, i'm working on the spawn point area today or tomorrow, cleaning it up. You start in a house thats creeper proof, now. As for the subway, there is a catcher system in place, and when I get some more mats i'll have the dispenser. If more trams get made we have 2 options: Link them up to the north point/bedrock station terminal and just add an extra switch, or just make another terminal. I was kind of thinking 4 terminals close to spawn, one going NSEW

Spot, is there any way you'd be willing to put Hey0 on your server? That way we can link the two servers chat.

Since we're exploring the idea of other people hosting the non SMP server I'm not going to mess with it right now, plus i'm super busy. Once we decide on hosting then we can mess around with mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom