• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exano

Neo Member
thespot84 said:
Since we're exploring the idea of other people hosting the non SMP server I'm not going to mess with it right now, plus i'm super busy. Once we decide on hosting then we can mess around with mods.

Fair enough.

owlbeak

I really wish there was a command to force chunk updates or something. I log into Gafland and I have like a 30x30 radius and then just cliffs because nothing loads in. :(

I was hoping Notch had fixed that by now.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just wanted to let you all know that I've purchased a new server to take over the gafland hosting duties from thespot.

All admins will remain the same, map will remain as well; the server will be on a dedicated host that'll never go down, as well as retain all our mods (MCadmin) etc.

The server is located on the east coast of the US, should have ample transfer speed and no lag... I'll keep you all posted once the new server is operational and we'll make the transition.

You guys shouldn't notice any changes operationally; everyone who was in charge will still be in charge.. I just want to help out where I can :)

owlbeak

DrEvil said:
Just wanted to let you all know that I've purchased a new server to take over the gafland hosting duties from thespot.

All admins will remain the same, map will remain as well; the server will be on a dedicated host that'll never go down, as well as retain all our mods (MCadmin) etc.

The server is located on the east coast of the US, should have ample transfer speed and no lag... I'll keep you all posted once the new server is operational and we'll make the transition.

You guys shouldn't notice any changes operationally; everyone who was in charge will still be in charge.. I just want to help out where I can :)
Oh man! Nice! :D Thank you very much.

What are you guys using for the tram system? Traditional boosters, mods, or is it just gravity-based? We're starting to lay rails on my private server, and we're still messing around with designs... right now we're debating between boosters and the Minecart Mania mod.

I'll have to check out the survival server, it sounds pretty awesome.

Exano

Neo Member
rohlfinator said:
What are you guys using for the tram system? Traditional boosters, mods, or is it just gravity-based? We're starting to lay rails on my private server, and we're still messing around with designs... right now we're debating between boosters and the Minecart Mania mod.

I'll have to check out the survival server, it sounds pretty awesome.

We use a mix of traditional boosters and what comes in the Craftbook mod.

Craftbook allows you to make various boosters (50%, 100% speed ones) and brakes, as well as cart dispensers and collectors and sorters. Its nice because you can make a storage minecart and send it up and it'll automatically deposit its stuff in the chest for you.

Other then that feature though its nothing you could not replicate in vanilla, just saves space and time.

Exano said:
We use a mix of traditional boosters and what comes in the Craftbook mod.

Craftbook allows you to make various boosters (50%, 100% speed ones) and brakes, as well as cart dispensers and collectors and sorters. Its nice because you can make a storage minecart and send it up and it'll automatically deposit its stuff in the chest for you.

Other then that feature though its nothing you could not replicate in vanilla, just saves space and time.
Ah, ok. That sounds a lot like Minecart Mania, although the Bukkit version I'm using doesn't have cart dispensers/collectors working yet.

I just logged on for a bit and looked at the stations -- that's a pretty slick setup, the automation stuff is really cool. I'm hoping to do something pretty similar on my server.

I'm a little surprised the boosters are working so well. On my server they keep glitching out when we log off and log back on.

WillyFive

So I'm digging pretty deep now in my single player map....

1698024-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

...and I got down to a cave with a stream.

1698025-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

I check it out, and to my surprise, going up to the source of the stream, there's light! Oh no! LAVA!

1698026-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

But when I go to check, there's nothing there....

1698027-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

No lava, obviously I haven't put a torch here, just light without a source.

1698028-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

I assume it's a glitch, but should I be wary of something here? If I dig up, will there be lava there?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Willy105 said:
So I'm digging pretty deep now in my single player map....

1698024-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

...and I got down to a cave with a stream.

1698025-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

I check it out, and to my surprise, going up to the source of the stream, there's light! Oh no! LAVA!

1698026-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

But when I go to check, there's nothing there....

1698027-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

No lava, obviously I haven't put a torch here, just light without a source.

1698028-screenshot_the_lake_line_47.80463__121.53999_13_00_29.png

I assume it's a glitch, but should I be wary of something here? If I dig up, will there be lava there?

Dig, Lava is slow, if it is Lava then just quickly fill the hole with something.

I had that happen in a new chunk. No lava nearby (it was rather shallow), just a dead-end with an invisible torch on the wall. Once I added a real torch and removed it, the light didn't return.

I figure its the cousin glitch of the Mysterious Black Shadow of Voidy Emptiness we've been seeing alot.

barnone

Can the guy who took the materials (specifically the bonemeal) from my chest in the floating house please return it? All that stuff you took wasn't being offered to you. Just because you left a sign describing what you took doesn't make it okay in my opinion. Doombass and I also had 3 diamond stored and only 1 was there when I logged on. I forget the name of the person, but it began with 'P'. Maybe Pan or something.

Exano

Neo Member
barnone said:
Can the guy who took the materials (specifically the bonemeal) from my chest in the floating house please return it? All that stuff you took wasn't being offered to you. Just because you left a sign describing what you took doesn't make it okay in my opinion. Doombass and I also had 3 diamond stored and only 1 was there when I logged on. I forget the name of the person, but it began with 'P'. Maybe Pan or something.

From now on, individual chests and furnaces will be lockable. :)

Man, my connection or computer (or maybe combination of both) makes playing on the server extremely laggy. I wish I could play, but I get like 5 FPS. :(

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, that JPG is so horribly compressed and small I can't even make anything out. But it looks like there's a hell of a lot more there than there was when I was there last.

Falt

The jpeg still gives scope but I'd love to see the map in the overviewer.

So last night I spent about 8 days or so searching for the wild and illustrious pumpkin. After many deaths and a lot of frantic rushing off spawn I found one solitary pumpkin and called it a night.

It took me 2 days to get back to my house and when I returned I had a "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" type experience, something was... off. A picture frame had been knocked down and put back in the wrong place. A random block was missing downstairs. Someone had been here.

I checked my chests and as far as I can tell the only things that were taken were two apples. Whoever was in my house also decided to store dirt, stone and torches in one of my chests. I have 30-40 loaves of bread upstairs but they take two apples? Bizarre scenario.

I don't have a problem with this. My house is open and anyone is welcome to stay the night and use my facilities when in need. The whole experience just left me feeling a bit puzzled.

I hope this post doesn't provoke said apple thief to return to the scene and burn down my house! Let's be friends, my apples are your apples :p

TLDR: Someone's been sleeping in my bed!

Edit: and now a bucket has gone missing :/ I really didn't want to lock my chests but it's been done. Whoever left their gear in my house. I've put it in a new separate chest on the roof garden.

Sofo

Falt said:
TLDR: Someone's been sleeping in my bed!
I don't have Minecraft yet (debating it, specially like the Multiplayer side of the game) but that just sounded hilarious.

Also, I'd like to ask, is there a way to actually build in Creative (? I think that's how the minecraft wiki calls it) and then use it as an actual map? I'm really fond of mazes and I would love to make a server with lots of them. That would be my buying-point to be honest.

Thanks in advance!

Enco

Sofo said:
I don't have Minecraft yet (debating it, specially like the Multiplayer side of the game) but that just sounded hilarious.

Also, I'd like to ask, is there a way to actually build in Creative (? I think that's how the minecraft wiki calls it) and then use it as an actual map? I'm really fond of mazes and I would love to make a server with lots of them. That would be my buying-point to be honest.

Thanks in advance!
You just enable 'peaceful' mode where there are no monsters and health regeneration. You can log on to your own private server so you can give yourself free items which greatly reduces time.

If you want great flatland to build on, go here:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=121930

Leunam

Man, only thing that bugs me about the terrain is that massive sprawling ocean doesn't seem to happen naturally.

How am I supposed to recreate the secret research base from FFVIII without that?

Yaweee

@ Exano's server:

Are there any limitations on where you want us to build, or land hogging? I'm the buildings North of the North Point station (bottom left on the map), and my cave system is gargantuan with openings all over the place. I'm thinking of just walling off the island completely and making it my own big-ass wilderness preserve, unless people have problems with that.

If an East Point station ever gets built, bring it out all the way to the Winter biomes.

Articalys

I think there's 4 or so chunks that still have that can't destroy/create blocks property near the old spawn; does anyone know if there's a way to fix that? I marked off the area with a few cobblestone pillars.

So I built a pretty large stronghold a few weeks ago and have gradually been filling it with some stuff. I made dirt roofs on the houses and a small place for my cattle to randomly spawn and be contained, figuring that the grass would randomly spawn itself. But it didn't so I had to draw a "dirt channel" from some nearby grass and illuminate it with torches so that it will also grow at night. If you want, I can give some more details and pictures of it all. And I also need some ideas of what I could put in the centre of it all.

0SznI.png

bengraven

Is there a server that's just kind of relaxed, little griefing, no pressure to build massive works of art? I had a server like that on another forum, but after the constant updates to Bukkit, he grew sick of maintaining it and it's gone stagnant.

thespot84

bengraven said:
Is there a server that's just kind of relaxed, little griefing, no pressure to build massive works of art? I had a server like that on another forum, but after the constant updates to Bukkit, he grew sick of maintaining it and it's gone stagnant.

Did you ever visit gafland when it was up? It should be up again soon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Snytbaggen said:
So I built a pretty large stronghold a few weeks ago and have gradually been filling it with some stuff. I made dirt roofs on the houses and a small place for my cattle to randomly spawn and be contained, figuring that the grass would randomly spawn itself. But it didn't so I had to draw a "dirt channel" from some nearby grass and illuminate it with torches so that it will also grow at night. If you want, I can give some more details and pictures of it all. And I also need some ideas of what I could put in the centre of it all.

0SznI.png

I did that on first Spot's server. I built a giant tower right on the bedrock and made a giant grass staircase to get grass down there.

Jasoco

Banned
Leunam said:
Man, only thing that bugs me about the terrain is that massive sprawling ocean doesn't seem to happen naturally.

How am I supposed to recreate the secret research base from FFVIII without that?
Procedurally generated land never looks realistic. He'd need a much more high tech land generator to make something realistic with oceans and lakes and rivers and real mountains. But I would dump my current world in a heartbeat if he came up with something like that. I'd even forego unlimited space if it generated a wrapping square world ahead of time (But didn't actually create the chunks until they were needed, but the map itself would be pre-generated as a reference) that was about 3000x3000 meters. And as you walk, it would wrap you around. Even if it was an optional second generator mode that required a brand new world.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
OK, gafland is back up and ready to go once thespot switches his dyndns over.

edit: looks like it's done! gafland lives!

Mudkips

Banned
Started playing Minecraft a bit again and my shit keeps crashing.
Anyone running a 6950 or 6970 having the same issue?

My PC will lock up completely, or it'll lock up for a bit and the display driver will crash and recover, or it'll lock up and Java will crash.

I've got the latest Java and the latest video drivers.
I didn't have this problem a few months ago when I was on my old 8800 GTX.

SumPog

Neo Member
Mudkips said:

My PC will lock up completely, or it'll lock up for a bit and the display driver will crash and recover, or it'll lock up and Java will crash.

Totally irrelevant but SO I HERD U LIEK MUDKIPZ!??!

I assume that you've got the lastest DirectX?

ZZMitch

Mudkips said:

I have been having very similar issues with my GTX 460. But I am pretty sure it is a more computer wide issue and not a Minecraft issue itself.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Does a server admin have to go in and manually start up the host?

Exano's server restarted itself around 7:45 CST this morning and is still not accepting connections.

Sofo

Enco said:
You just enable 'peaceful' mode where there are no monsters and health regeneration. You can log on to your own private server so you can give yourself free items which greatly reduces time.

If you want great flatland to build on, go here:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=121930

Sorry for the late reply, I had my last final today! First off, thanks for the reply but I think I worded it wrong. I was referring if there's a way to play like when you play it on the browser, being able to put as many blocks as you can without having to mine (so you can actually just build a map and make a maze, in example). Is there a chance to do that in the full version?

Thanks a lot! (I'm really just about to buy it and jump on GAFland, that'd be awesome :) )

So I've finally started playing Minecraft after holding out for about 2 months due to exams and fear of addiction - I'm pretty glad I did.

Anyway I've been spawned into more or less a frozen wasteland, sea is frozen, snow on the blocks etc. For the first night I found an area under the frozen sea to stay. Just wondering if it's worth making a full time shelter there or if the sea unfreezes or something

Rapstah

CommieCaptorS said:
So I've finally started playing Minecraft after holding out for about 2 months due to exams and fear of addiction - I'm pretty glad I did.

Anyway I've been spawned into more or less a frozen wasteland, sea is frozen, snow on the blocks etc. For the first night I found an area under the frozen sea to stay. Just wondering if it's worth making a full time shelter there or if the sea unfreezes or something
They never unfreeze naturally. There's some potential for disaster if you accidentally smelt your ice ceiling with torches or furnaces though.

Mudkips

Banned
SumPog said:
Totally irrelevant but SO I HERD U LIEK MUDKIPZ!??!

I assume that you've got the lastest DirectX?

I assume so too. I'm on W7 Home Premium 64-bit. I've got all updates from windows update, the latest drivers (I was on catalyst 10.5 then went to 11 after it first started crashing to see if it would fix it. Nope.), etc. But I'll run dxdiag tonight I guess, and see what version I have.

I also tried an OpeaAL fix posted on the minecraft forums, but no luck.

ZZMitch said:
I have been having very similar issues with my GTX 460. But I am pretty sure it is a more computer wide issue and not a Minecraft issue itself.

Do you have a reason for thinking that?
This is the only thing I crash in. I thought I was crashing because of my overclock, so I backed off a bit, but I still crashed. Then I backed off a lot, and I still crashed. I'm totally stable in everything else, including StarCraft II, Dead Space 2, DCUO, x264 encode jobs that take 3 days, Prime95, etc.

Xun

ZZMitch said:
I seem to recall hearing Minecraft is very badly coded, so don't be so sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom